Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Machines Announcement

Valve announces over a dozen Steam Machine designs are now in production for release this year, confirming the list of manufacturers revealed earlier today, and saying systems will start at $499:

Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Counter-Strike, Dota 2, Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, Portal, and Team Fortress) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced over one dozen Steam Machine designs now in production from leading manufacturers and targeted for release in 2014.

The lineup of Steam Machines announced today offers a wide variety of price and performance options made possible by the Steam Machine's open design, with systems starting as low as $499 and top end systems rivaling today's bleeding edge gaming PCs.

Every Steam Machine includes an innovative Steam Controller designed for use with a wide variety of game genres, and is powered by the SteamOS, a custom OS built atop Linux.

"The first generation Steam Machines offers something for every gamer, which is a critical part of extending Steam into the living room," said Gabe Newell of Valve. "With over 3,000 games and more than 65 million gamers on Steam, it's important to offer gamers a variety of Steam Machines that allow them to select what makes the most sense for them."

Announced earlier this year, Steam Machines are new entertainment systems targeted for use in the living room and leveraging Steam, the popular online platform for gaming and software with over 65 million accounts worldwide.

The makers of first generation Steam Machines are:

• Alienware
  • Alternate
  • CyberPowerPC
  • Digital Storm
  • Falcon NW
  • GigaByte
  • iBuyPower
  • Maingear
  • Material.net
  • Next Spa
  • Origin PC
  • Scan
  • Webhallen
  • Zotac

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

35. Re: Steam Machines Announcement Jan 7, 2014, 03:53 Simon Says

Steam machines huh? If I can't power it with charcoal or wood, no buy!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Steam Machines Announcement Jan 7, 2014, 03:27 El Pit

This is just my opinion, but plugging a controller into my pc turns my pc into a console. That's what I personally despise: the controller/gamepad. And now even Steam is luring pc gamers into controller usage. No. Keyboard and mouse or bust. Again: this is just my opinion.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

33. Re: Steam Machines Announcement Jan 7, 2014, 03:20 Steele Johnson

ViRGE wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 22:33:
siapnar wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 22:24:
Would be cool destructive if some developers made the full switch to Steam OS and left Windows in the dust, for their upcoming games
Fixed that for you.

There's nothing to gain from PC fragmentation. We're already a minority.

Yeah, it would be destructive for the developer.

32. Re: Steam Machines Announcement Jan 7, 2014, 03:14 bigspender

siapnar wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 23:11:
ViRGE wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 22:33:
Fixed that for you.

There's nothing to gain from PC fragmentation. We're already a minority.
Or it could be a resurgence for PC gaming if people just switch to Steam OS. Better performance (hopefully), less clutter. One can dream

I'll take the percieved performance hit for the fact I can do everything in a multi-tasking environment. Nothing worse than having all of these seperate systems like iPads and tablets and consoles where you can't do things efficiently.

Gaming PC with Windows just does everything you ever need it to do, and all at the same time.

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

31. Re: Steam Machines Announcement Jan 7, 2014, 01:39 descender

Go play Civ 5, DOTA2, LoL, Starcraft 2... whatever you qualify as a "PC game" on a 70inch LED TV, and then come back and say you don't want to do that again. Laugh2

I don't know about you, but MY HTPC (soon to be streamed steamOS or SteamBOX... who knows) already has every Atari, NES, SNES, Genesis, N64 game there is. That hard drive will follow me everywhere until they don't make emulators anymore.

30. Re: Steam Machines Announcement Jan 7, 2014, 01:34 Fantaz

Primalchrome wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 00:49:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 00:12:
Fantaz wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 23:04:
DOS Days > All

Loadhigh="hahanoway.sys"

I had like 6 boot options and getting Ultima 7 to run with sound and a mouse driver suckkkked. D:
Ahh yes...the good old DOS days. Buy Dark Sun: Shattered Lands for $60+ from EB...then realize you couldn't finish due to a bug. I think after talking to SSI's support it only took 4-6 weeks for them to ship me the floppy with the patch on it.

OMG!! I remember that bug... yeah, I think I had to dial in to a BBS just to download a patch to get past that showstopper bug. such a good game too.

29. Re: Steam Machines Announcement Jan 7, 2014, 01:29 maddog

Like many others have stated, I have no desire to play my PC games on my LCD in the living room.

Perhaps if Steam licensed the Atari 2600 library, the Sega Genesis library and others like NeoGeo etc etc, then, perhaps me and some buddies could come over and play some retro Madden or NHL.

Nah, I'd rather get a laptop to set on my lap to play some PC games while the TV is on.

28. Re: Steam Machines Announcement Jan 7, 2014, 01:26 descender

This discussion here is hilarious.

If you are already into PC gaming... You probably don't buy consoles already. You are basically not their target market for a SteamBOX. Stop trying to figure out why you would want one, they already know you probably don't.

The main and probably only function any reader here would ever use in SteamOS would be to stream games from your already existing gaming PC to a much smaller box in your living room that handles the controller and interface. This is how they are handling the lack of linux compatibility for most games and why they can boast the 3000+ game library.

By the time a PS5 or xbtwo comes out, you will see no reason to buy those... because you will probably have integrated Steam into your living room in some way by then. Only at that point will today's "elite PC gamer" (read: very small minority of gamers) have to weigh the cost of building a new PC or buying a pre-fab SteamBox.

27. Re: Steam Machines Announcement Jan 7, 2014, 00:56 Beamer

DOS Days > All

Loadhigh="hahanoway.sys"

I had like 6 boot options and getting Ultima 7 to run with sound and a mouse driver suckkkked. D:
Ahh yes...the good old DOS days. Buy Dark Sun: Shattered Lands for $60+ from EB...then realize you couldn't finish due to a bug. I think after talking to SSI's support it only took 4-6 weeks for them to ship me the floppy with the patch on it.

Plus boot disks for each game.
Ug.

Speaking of booting, it'd take a lot for me to dual boot. Turn my PC off? What kind of dirty heathen do I look like?! I did it years ago, with Linux, back when I did any form of programming, but the value of keeping my Windows running, with the windows I am using open, trumps nearly anything else.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

26. Re: Steam Machines Announcement Jan 7, 2014, 00:53 Sepharo

Dark Sun: Shattered Lands

Such a goddamn good game. Introduced me to DnD rulesets and non-linear RPG when I was really young. Man the looting you could get up to. The first time I ever escaped the arena and jail, amazing. Many replays later I was good enough to wipe out the entire jail and steal everything not bolted down. Head on into the sewers and help/genocide some rat people.

25. Re: Steam Machines Announcement Jan 7, 2014, 00:49 Primalchrome

DOS Days > All

Loadhigh="hahanoway.sys"

24. Re: Steam Machines Announcement Jan 7, 2014, 00:29 Alamar

My first thought about Steam OS was.. Maybe I'll dual boot, when it's ready...

But what's the point? What does it actually offer? Compared to what it takes away...

Btw, I now have a 50" TV (thanks Boxing Day sales) hooked up behind my computer desk, where my recliner is, so my office is both where my PC is, and my (second) living room : ) Got it about a week ago, and I've sat at the desk like once since then.

-Alamar

23. Re: Steam Machines Announcement Jan 7, 2014, 00:13 Ledge

sorry i dont need steam in the living room. im happy with my current PC whilst sitting in the comfort of my study room.

an innovative steam controller? heh

PASS

22. Re: Steam Machines Announcement Jan 7, 2014, 00:12 Silicon Avatar

siapnar wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 22:24:
Would be cool if some developers made the full switch to Steam OS and left Windows in the dust, for their upcoming games

Half-Life 3, exclusive to Steam OS. The End.

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 22:53:

Seriously.

Some people didn't grow up in the DOS days. Windows and DirectX brought PC gaming to the masses.

DOS Days > All

Loadhigh="hahanoway.sys"

21. Re: Steam Machines Announcement Jan 7, 2014, 00:08 Agent.X7

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 00:03:
Fantaz wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 23:35:
DangerDog wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 23:23:

Valve has already said there won't be any exclusives, even if they did try to do HL3 as an exclusive people would play HL3 and then ditch the OS and go back to Windows.

I don't see this as a reason to ditch Windows as a desktop OS and have no interest in PC gaming in the living room.

I'd disagree. wasn't it the case when HL2 required Steam that everybody chose Steam to eventually be the dominant/leading platform for digital distribution? if HL3 was exclusive to SteamOS it could be adopted as a main platform for gamers, and I wouldn't be surprised if Valve made HL3/L4D3 exclusive to Steam Machine/SteamOS. history can repeat itself. they may say there won't be exclusives but things can always change. the only way for mass adoption is for exclusivity rights, and that's what Microsoft is trying to do with Xbox One for digital TV shows and movies.

I don't know if I'm the exception but I do a lot of stuff with my PC besides gaming and having to install and maintain another OS just to play a few exclusive games isn't something I'm interested in. It would be a hassle for not much benefit to me.

Same.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

20. Re: Steam Machines Announcement Jan 7, 2014, 00:03 Silicon Avatar

Valve has already said there won't be any exclusives, even if they did try to do HL3 as an exclusive people would play HL3 and then ditch the OS and go back to Windows.

I don't see this as a reason to ditch Windows as a desktop OS and have no interest in PC gaming in the living room.

I'd disagree. wasn't it the case when HL2 required Steam that everybody chose Steam to eventually be the dominant/leading platform for digital distribution? if HL3 was exclusive to SteamOS it could be adopted as a main platform for gamers, and I wouldn't be surprised if Valve made HL3/L4D3 exclusive to Steam Machine/SteamOS. history can repeat itself. they may say there won't be exclusives but things can always change. the only way for mass adoption is for exclusivity rights, and that's what Microsoft is trying to do with Xbox One for digital TV shows and movies.

I don't know if I'm the exception but I do a lot of stuff with my PC besides gaming and having to install and maintain another OS just to play a few exclusive games isn't something I'm interested in. It would be a hassle for not much benefit to me.

19. Re: Steam Machines Announcement Jan 6, 2014, 23:56 Jerykk

Pretty big difference between adopting an app and adopting a new OS. People won't switch to SteamOS until it matches or surpasses the utility and compatibility of Windows.

18. Re: Steam Machines Announcement Jan 6, 2014, 23:56 DangerDog

That's what I've read on the old internet, Valve said no SteamOS exclusives. It's not a replacement desktop OS and I question the number of PC gamers just dieing to play their games in the living room. I'm not.

I see the future more being something like the Rift attached to either a high performance PC or perhaps wirelessly tethered to a high performance android tablet.

At any rate it's going to take much more than a handful of indie developers making games for this Steam console to put a dent in even the adoption rate of the Nintendo WiiU let alone the xbox and playstation market share.

17. Re: Steam Machines Announcement Jan 6, 2014, 23:35 Fantaz

16. Re: Steam Machines Announcement Jan 6, 2014, 23:32 mlw

Isn't this based on Valve's fear that Microshaft will close their O/S in the future?

How will they make games designed for DirectX work Properly on Linux anyway?

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo