Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

No Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PCs

A new Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition FAQ is online to answer questions about the upcoming enhanced edition of the Tomb Raider reboot which will include DLC, preorder content, and spiffier graphics. One of the things they confirm is that the already spiffier looking PC edition of the game will not be getting an update, as they say: "Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition was designed and rebuilt from the ground up for next-generation consoles. At this time a PC update is not planned." They also note this will not come to last generation consoles, and that there will be no upgrade path for next-gen consoles, where the game will be a full US$59.99. Thanks MCV.

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: No Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PCs Jan 7, 2014, 12:58 Beamer

Verno wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 11:21:
The QTE shit at the beginning of the game is obnoxious but they tend to drop off as the game progresses. Unfortunately the game also introduces interesting ideas like hunting for food and other mechanics but does nothing with them. It also reverts to a set piece to set piece action game by the mid point of the game. It was still a great game but its obvious they had a few design shifts mid-swing.

Good to know. I'll probably play this at some point, and it sounds like I would have moved on after the beginning. I'll power through.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: No Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PCs Jan 7, 2014, 11:21 Verno

The QTE shit at the beginning of the game is obnoxious but they tend to drop off as the game progresses. Unfortunately the game also introduces interesting ideas like hunting for food and other mechanics but does nothing with them. It also reverts to a set piece to set piece action game by the mid point of the game. It was still a great game but its obvious they had a few design shifts mid-swing.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

39. Re: No Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PCs Jan 7, 2014, 11:02 eRe4s3r

nin wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 13:29:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 13:28:
HorrorScope wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 12:32:
Quinn wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 11:57:
HorrorScope wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 11:51:
Is the Definitive version the one where they remove most QTE's?

You obviously haven't played the game with that pre-release hipster attitude.

So it changes after the first 1/2 hour?

The first half hour is awful with QTEs everywhere. Once you get out into the world gameplay is more typical 3rd person action game, but there are still QTEs. I'm a couple hours in.

Laughing my ass off at "pre-release hipster attitude" comment...

Sidenote: The first QTE sequence .... I can understand when people drop the game just because of that. It was horrible. But it got a lot better later on...

38. Re: No Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PCs Jan 7, 2014, 04:13 CJ_Parker

yonder wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 17:13:
Seriously... what are you doing on a site like Bluesnews where things like intellectual discussion and being educated are actually valued?

HAHAHAHA that was one of the better ones I have heard in a while. A true kneeslapper, bro!

Also... way to stay classy with the ass-rape analogy.

Ah, it was nothing. Don't mention it. "Class" is my middle name.

You, Parker, are a terrible and completely unenviable person.

Oh yes. Now that you mention it I am seriously reconsidering my whole life.

I hope you're simply a 13 year old who doesn't have much education and has just discovered cursing and therefore has no clue how to use vulgarity properly and therefore has a chance to mature.

Well, keep hoping then. Other than you and others here I am done bending over for asshole publishers selling us patches as "definitive versions" or whatever. Square Enix has ripped off people with the Deus Ex HR director's cut and now they're trying to do it again with TR Definitive Edition. Fuck that ass raping shit. There. I said it again .

37. Re: No Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PCs Jan 7, 2014, 04:09 Fantaz

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 23:28:
Square Enix doing as Square Enix does. No surprises there

it's also pretty much the only triple 'A' game coming out this month (January) so they picked a good time to (re)release this.

we don't need this on PC anyways, Xbone can have it... still better than paying $49 for Angry Birds.

edit: one thing they mention in the FAQ is Kinect. but what about the PS4 camera? why aren't developers using this peripheral at all?

also I noticed this contradicting...

Q: Have any bugs from TR 2013 been addressed in TRHD?
A: Yes. All of the title updates rolled into the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 editions of Tomb Raider have been included in Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition.

[...]

{ "...rebuild Tomb Raider from the ground up for next-gen consoles."
"...They pulled it apart and rebuilt it with new technology, finally allowing us to reach the vision for Tomb Raider that we always wanted."
"No, Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition was built from the ground up for next-generation console technology that isnít available in previous hardware." }

uhhm, so if it's re-built from the ground up then how can the old patches even make a difference at all?! and with a totally new redesigned version of the game you're gonna have new bugs anyway?

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2014, 04:24.

36. Re: No Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PCs Jan 6, 2014, 23:28 eRe4s3r

Square Enix doing as Square Enix does. No surprises there  

35. Re: No Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PCs Jan 6, 2014, 19:52 HorrorScope

Quinn wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 12:40:

It changes to an extend that I don't even remember any QTEs past the first half hour.

Well ain't that a shitter then? My backlog means games have to make a good first impression fast and this game decides to play one way the first half hour, then get good. If I find out it is still infested with QTE's... I am hunting you down! lol

34. Re: No Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PCs Jan 6, 2014, 17:36 Ant

Boo!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

33. Re: No Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PCs Jan 6, 2014, 17:13 yonder

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 14:15:
Fuck them. Bought Tomb Raider Survival Edition for the PC at full price. One of the few games I bought for full price in the last year. And now this ass rape for PC gamers again. Guess how many more Tomb Raiders I will ever buy at full price again dear Square Enix? Yup. You got it. You assholes.

I thought the idiot Firster would win "Stupidest Bluesnews Comment Of The Year for 2014" but congrats on outdoing him (gender assumption, just because).

Let me explain it for incredibly stupid and moronic folks like you and two earlier people with an analogy.

The xbox360 version of Tomb Raider is a car that goes only 30 mph.
The PC version is a car that goes as fast as you can drive.
The xboxone version is a car that goes only 60 mph.

How is that not incredibly obvious?

Seriously... what are you doing on a site like Bluesnews where things like intellectual discussion and being educated are actually valued?

Also... way to stay classy with the ass-rape analogy.

You, Parker, are a terrible and completely unenviable person. I hope you're simply a 13 year old who doesn't have much education and has just discovered cursing and therefore has no clue how to use vulgarity properly and therefore has a chance to mature.

32. Re: No Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PCs Jan 6, 2014, 17:03 JayDeath

It's a fun game but average at best. Do gamers really think Tomb Raider needs a definitive version?

Steam: Henry Krinkle

31. Re: No Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PCs Jan 6, 2014, 15:27 Beamer

Cutter wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 14:32:
jacobvandy wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 14:18:
Fuck them. Bought Tomb Raider Survival Edition for the PC at full price. One of the few games I bought for full price in the last year. And now this ass rape for PC gamers again. Guess how many more Tomb Raiders I will ever buy at full price again dear Square Enix? Yup. You got it. You assholes.

If them deciding not to re-sell you the same game for full price feels like ass rape to you, you must live a pretty irritated life.

No, he's saying they should be putting out the additional stuff as a free upgrade for existing owners and he's right.

It sounds like the only additional stuff is the spiffier graphics, right? The rest is DLC. Companies don't give old users free DLC when they release a GOTY edition, so I don't know why this would be different.

As for the graphics, as Blue mentioned, the PC version already had better graphics, and these new graphics are being done specifically for the consoles, meaning there's no attempt to make them work properly on PCs. Since the PC already looked better, not sure why anyone would care.

So, basically, it's improved graphics, which the PC already had (just not to the same extent), and it's DLC, which is already available to the PC if I read correctly.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

30. Re: No Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PCs Jan 6, 2014, 14:57 ChaosEngine

Cutter wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 14:32:

If them deciding not to re-sell you the same game for full price feels like ass rape to you, you must live a pretty irritated life.

No, he's saying they should be putting out the additional stuff as a free upgrade for existing owners and he's right.

There's no way in hell I'd pay full price for this "definitive edition". Not even slightly interested in Tomb Raider multiplayer, but if they wanted to charge $5 or so for the updated models, I think that would be reasonable.

That said, most of the graphics improvements were already on PC, including the hair if you had an ATI card.

29. Re: No Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PCs Jan 6, 2014, 14:45 saluk

Realistically, there are no upgrades listed I'd feel are worth paying for. Still not cool. It's just a couple of upgraded models and shaders.

If they had been smarter and released consistent upgrades for the game beyond multiplayer, the game would have recouped it's cost a lot better.

28. Re: No Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PCs Jan 6, 2014, 14:32 Cutter

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

27. Re: No Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PCs Jan 6, 2014, 14:18 jacobvandy

26. Re: No Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PCs Jan 6, 2014, 14:15 CJ_Parker

25. Re: No Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PCs Jan 6, 2014, 14:14 jomisab

Tumbler wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 12:40:
....eh....it's already out and it was on sale for $10 on steam recently. Charging $59.99 for another pc version would be hilarious. (I think the Definitive edition is the PC edition)

Exactly. Picked it up for $10 on a flash sale. Awesome gaming value. Thoroughly impressed with the production values.

24. Re: No Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PCs Jan 6, 2014, 13:34 Creston

The definitive edition is just them porting the PC version to the 'next-gen' consoles. No sense in re-releasing it on the PC, as it's just basically the same version.  

23. Re: No Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PCs Jan 6, 2014, 13:30 LurkerLito

Task wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 12:02:
They actually did change the models though from the PC version and console versions. They essentially remodeled Lara Croft's face for some reason in the 'enhanced version.'
Probably to avoid paying likeness rights to the actress they modeled Lara after.

22. Re: No Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PCs Jan 6, 2014, 13:29 nin

jdreyer wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 13:28:

The first half hour is awful with QTEs everywhere. Once you get out into the world gameplay is more typical 3rd person action game, but there are still QTEs. I'm a couple hours in.

Laughing my ass off at "pre-release hipster attitude" comment...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo