Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Valve offers the following list of bestselling games on Steam for the past week:

1. DayZ
  2. Rust
  3. The Walking dead: Season Two
  4. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Legendary Edition
  5. Starbound
  6. Total War: ROME II
  7. XCOM: Enemy Within
  8. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  9. Company of Heroes 2
  10. PAYDAY 2

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 6, 2014, 16:50 MajorD

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 14:33:
MajorD wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 14:18:
Seeing DayZ hang at number 1, is anyone here playing RUST or 7 Days to Die? They look like DayZ meets MineCraft type games, and look intriguing.

Dabbled in 7 days. It is rough.....need friends along for the ride - no one knows what they are doing.

Cool, thanks for info.

...No one knows what they are doing... LOL, I would most likely be one of those people.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 6, 2014, 14:33 xXBatmanXx

MajorD wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 14:18:
Seeing DayZ hang at number 1, is anyone here playing RUST or 7 Days to Die? They look like DayZ meets MineCraft type games, and look intriguing.

Dabbled in 7 days. It is rough.....need friends along for the ride - no one knows what they are doing.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 6, 2014, 14:18 MajorD

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 6, 2014, 10:59 Creston

Verno wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 10:53:
I really hope to get more XCOM games, been playing Enemy Within recently and its just such a fantastic experience.

Nod Nod Nod

I genuinely think it's the best expansion pack in a seriously long time. I mean, I can't say it's better than Throne of Bhaal, but it's fantastic.

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 6, 2014, 10:53 Verno

I really hope to get more XCOM games, been playing Enemy Within recently and its just such a fantastic experience.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 6, 2014, 01:56 Creston

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 5, 2014, 12:23:
nin wrote on Jan 5, 2014, 11:48:
I'd be real curious what starbounds numbers are, as it's held in for awhile now. Good for them!

Yea....the new Skyrim leaderboard topper?

They only have about 20 more months to go, I think.

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 6, 2014, 00:03 jacobvandy

I picked it up during the sale, too, and haven't had any issues. AFAIK it uses peer-to-peer hosting, so you might just need someone who doesn't have shitty internet to handle that role. Like my one friend, his DSL modem overloads when he refreshes a big enough server list (jokes about DDoSing himself), so if he hosted the Payday 2 session, we'd probably lag like hell.  

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 5, 2014, 22:29 Narf2029

Just be aware of the random connection issues a chunk of the Payday 2 playerbase is experiencing. If your games are going smoothly from start to finish it's a blast, but when your connection drops midway or 90% of the way through a heist a few times, leaving you with nothing whatsoever to show for 30+ minutes of your time each time it happens, the other rough spots get harder to overlook. As far as I know there's not much rhyme or reason as to who will have this problem either.

That said, I've gotten over 260 hours out of it, but I wasn't having as many connection issues until recently either.

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 5, 2014, 22:22 Nighthawk

Curiosity got the best of me, and I picked up Payday 2, and it's awesome.
First person combat CO-OP shooter, stealth/tactical game, you're part of a heist team.
It was worthy. $30 is full price, and I wouldn't regret paying that much either.

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 5, 2014, 20:03 MoreLuckThanSkill

Men of War (1) is pretty primitive on the Quality of Life features at this point, I really recommend people start with MoW:Assault Squad if they have a choice, there is slightly more of a recognizable Cap Flags RTS style there, and the controls/options are a lot better.

For any of the MoW games though, it's best to slowly advance in general, supporting your infantry cappers(if it's a cap point map) with HMG/LMG/Artilery pieces, keeping your tanks off the front lines vs other tanks and artillery. Tanks are great at mauling infantry, or shooting other tanks in the side/back, or blowing up jeeps and apcs. Tanks head to head is just a waste; you can win but you will waste ammo and armor always, unless you are using a Tiger or something vs a scout tank.

If it is NOT a cap point map, ambushes on AI are usually your best bet. Expendable infantry running up, tagging non-sniper enemies and sprinting(double click) back into HMG/Artillery/Tank meat grinders.

In every case it also helps to manually aim a tank or artillery piece to headshoot/turret shoot/track shoot your targets. Non anti-tank infantry aren't worth manually aiming unless you have a very low number of units.

Gathering ammo is a hassle, but you CAN gather ammo for a whole platoon at once; select them all, click on an ammo source(ammo boxes, enemy corpses, ammo trucks) and double click rifle rounds/smg rounds etc. The game does a fairly smart job of dividing up ammo to those who can use it, based on their equipped weapon. Grenades and anti-tank grenades will get divided fairly equally also. Men of War 1 suffers the most from this, as you are playing the under-equipped Russians most of the time, who on average start with about 7-10 rifle rounds or even nothing.

There is a steep learning curve, but it's definitely one of the more rewarding RTS games, imo. Skilled aiming, good situational awareness, and of course solid tactics are rewarded. There is still enough leeway for skilled micro to overcome a tactical slip as well.

The most fun mechanic(s) in the MoW series is the cannibalizing of destroyed vehicles/repairing and stealing enemy vehicles with your infantry, in my opinion. Ripping the 50cals off destroyed vehicles and making groups of HMG equipped soldiers, stealing enemy Tigers or Panzers with your US Paratroopers, etc etc. the game has so much going for it... if you can get by the micro.

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 5, 2014, 19:39 Parias

Yes, Men of War absolutely works best as a co-op game. It's also an insane amount of fun - we STILL pull it out for LAN parties many years after it was first released.  

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 5, 2014, 19:27 SpectralMeat

Yeah but it is really rewarding. It is a ton of fun to beat the Ai however the Ai is tough.
Even on easy it kicks my butt most times.
Those missions were really designed to coop play imo. Just way too much micro management for a single player.

Steam: SpectralMeat

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 5, 2014, 19:07 xXBatmanXx

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 5, 2014, 19:06:
JayDeath wrote on Jan 5, 2014, 17:54:
I was given all the MoW games as a gift a few years ago and I really tried to get into the first one but I found the game to be too difficult. I'll try playing again, eventually.
It is a ton of micro management, and multitasking.

Ish, that sounds like WORK!

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 5, 2014, 19:06 SpectralMeat

JayDeath wrote on Jan 5, 2014, 17:54:
I was given all the MoW games as a gift a few years ago and I really tried to get into the first one but I found the game to be too difficult. I'll try playing again, eventually.
It is a ton of micro management, and multitasking.

Steam: SpectralMeat

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 5, 2014, 17:54 JayDeath

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 5, 2014, 17:25:
I gave in and bought Company of Heroes 2 at the 66% off sale... it's mediocre at best. Nice sound and graphics, boring gameplay.

Men of War series blows it out of the water; at least for me there's no going back to the CoH format at this point.

Hopefully Men of War: Assault Squad 2 is just ridiculously good.

Also, kind of surprised to see Rust selling so well, it seems like an aggravating grind of a game to me.

Steam: BenRichards

Shadow of Mordor is wonderful.

6. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 5, 2014, 17:25 MoreLuckThanSkill

I gave in and bought Company of Heroes 2 at the 66% off sale... it's mediocre at best. Nice sound and graphics, boring gameplay.

Men of War series blows it out of the water; at least for me there's no going back to the CoH format at this point.

Hopefully Men of War: Assault Squad 2 is just ridiculously good.

Also, kind of surprised to see Rust selling so well, it seems like an aggravating grind of a game to me.

5. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 5, 2014, 15:34 Linksil

Beamer wrote on Jan 5, 2014, 15:31:
Paranoid Jack wrote on Jan 5, 2014, 15:25:
I'm glad to see X-Com getting some more love too. They had Enemy Unknown for under ten dollars and Enemy Within was only ten. As it stands it is the best TBS at the moment in my opinion. I've got over one hundred hours in the game now and I'm already planning my next replay. Love the new MECs. And I pray they are already planning the next expansion or the sequel.

I was talking to a guy from Valve on NYE. He said he's been talking to Firaxis a ton about their new game. He wouldn't say if it's another XCOM, but said it's the same team and, after seeing how the community responded and managed to mod a game not made for modding, they'll work hard to make sure the new one is very moddable.

Always glad to hear them talking about adding modding into games because they realize people still want to do this. Sadly I just picked up XCOM:EW and i'm not sure when i'll get around to playing it with all the other games to finish.

Munching On: Archeage, SAO Vita, Tales of Xallia 1/2.

4. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 5, 2014, 15:31 Beamer

Paranoid Jack wrote on Jan 5, 2014, 15:25:
I'm glad to see X-Com getting some more love too. They had Enemy Unknown for under ten dollars and Enemy Within was only ten. As it stands it is the best TBS at the moment in my opinion. I've got over one hundred hours in the game now and I'm already planning my next replay. Love the new MECs. And I pray they are already planning the next expansion or the sequel.

I was talking to a guy from Valve on NYE. He said he's been talking to Firaxis a ton about their new game. He wouldn't say if it's another XCOM, but said it's the same team and, after seeing how the community responded and managed to mod a game not made for modding, they'll work hard to make sure the new one is very moddable.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

3. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 5, 2014, 15:25 Paranoid Jack

2. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 5, 2014, 12:23 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Jan 5, 2014, 11:48:
I'd be real curious what starbounds numbers are, as it's held in for awhile now. Good for them!

Yea....the new Skyrim leaderboard topper?

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo