Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Polygon - Battlefield 4 spotlights EA's inability to launch games, treat players with dignity.
Is there any possible reality where EA and DICE didnít know that the game was non-functional when they shipped it? Can you imagine any other industry that allows products this hobbled to be knowingly sold months after release?

There are no recalls, no refunds being offered. Instead weíre given strained acknowledgements that a problem may exist, and the promise that it will be fixed. DICE may enjoy taking little jabs at the more popular Call of Duty series from time to time, but maybe itís time for them to grow up a bit and realize releasing a game that works will lead to stronger competition than cheap shots on Reddit.

The reaction of EA and DICE hasnít just been inadequate, it has been infuriating. The attempts to hide behind corporate speak and mealy-mouthed pseudo-apologies completely fail to address their customers, who have spent $60 or more on the product, as human beings. You can argue about the validity of EA being the worst company in the world, but itís clear that their marketing department has a tin ear when it comes to owning up to its own mistakes.

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

8. Re: Op Ed Jan 4, 2014, 17:28 dumpy

While I can appreciate the strengths of Battlefield 3 (and other efforts from DICE such as Mirror's Edge), my experience regarding technical support, and observations on how they reacted to the general outcry gave me the impression they just didn't respect the customer. It appeared their stance was one of Complete-Silence. I found it disgusting, especially after developing such a great relationship with Bad Company 2.

It is as simple as this - I knew what to expect, and I was right. My observations weren't difficult to make. Sadly, the only way to hold developers and publishers accoutable is through the consumer, and my voice is drowned out by the multitude of morons going out to buy their games.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Op Ed Jan 4, 2014, 16:33 Denthor

Creston wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 15:17:
I'm amazed Polygon, of all places, has the actual courage to call EA out on this bullshit.

Anyone able to tell me where polygons revenue is coming from - i'd hazard a guess not many EA adverts going on there.

That has to be the main reason gaming websites rarely speak out on publishers - their livelyhood depends on them. In fact its everything that is wrong with the system. Publishers have far to much control over so called independent reviewers.

6. Re: Op Ed Jan 4, 2014, 16:08 jacobvandy

I didn't touch anything EA put out in 2013... Hell even in '12, it was just ME3 and then Most Wanted (haven't played that much at all outside a couple short MP sessions, damned peer pressure). That's a rather somber thing to be able to say about one of the "big three" publishers.  

5. Re: Op Ed Jan 4, 2014, 15:17 Creston

I'm amazed Polygon, of all places, has the actual courage to call EA out on this bullshit.

But yep, you buy a game from EA (especially at launch), and this is how they treat you. You'd think people would be smart enough to stop buying their games, but eh.

4. Re: Op Ed Jan 4, 2014, 14:56 ASeven

How the fuck did that zhinto fellow got the job? I mean, that tweet reeks of him being very unprofessional and stupid.

Then again, when even ex-DICE devs tell him to shut up then you know he's a dead weight.

Glad to see DICE getting all the shit from everywhere, they deserve every single bit of it.

3. Re: Op Ed Jan 4, 2014, 14:36 DangerDog

There's been a lot of developers who have left DICE over the past couple of years, perhaps this is the result of a brain drain effect going on. It really doesn't help matters when you have completely brain dead idiots like Daniel Matros, aka zh1nt0 going on twitter and posting "Haven't had time to play bf since november. What's it like?"

What a tool.

[url=http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/01/03/opinion-ea-and-dice-have-broken-consumer-trust.aspx]

BF fans are willing to look past the warts because the core game is fun, when it works. DICE doesn't really have any direct competition, Arma series takes itself too seriously and COD is at the opposite end, Planetside is proof that bigger isn't better or more fun.

2. Re: Op Ed Jan 4, 2014, 14:14 Ozmodan

Kind of funny, even with resellers offering decent discounts on the game it was not in the top 10 of purchases. Don't know who is at fault here, but I suspect EA told Dice to get it out for xmas release or else.

COD Ghosts works great, have not had a problem. Won't buy another Battlefield game the way they treat their customers.

1. Re: Op Ed Jan 4, 2014, 14:04 Cutter

And they've been doing it for years. It's not like it's a well-guarded secret. You give them your money going in knowing this, so why would they change when they know that same group of people will pay them regardless.

And the author may want learn a little legalese. There are myriad legal reasons why companies call them "issues" and not "bugs". The former lets them legally skate around being financially accountable where the latter leaves them culpable. So even if they wanted to to cop to it, they couldn't without putting themselves into an actionable position. How fucked up is that? Not that they ever would anyway.

When I was at EA, and subsequent other tech companies doing sales, working with vendors, etc. it was always made abundantly clear in no certain terms do you ever refer to "issues" as "bugs". Particularly when a conversation was being recorded and it had to do with SLAs.

Stop doing business with companies that treat you like nothing more than a bank account to be drained, problem solved.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo