Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Steam, Origin DDoSed?

Steam is suffering from connectivity issues, and attempts to use various aspects of Valve's online service return "118" errors, which say: "Unable to connect to server. Server may be offline or you may not be connected to the internet." Shacknews notes a pair of twitter users are claiming to be behind the Steam outage, but Valve has not yet officially responded to the situation. Likewise, Polygon notes hacking group DERP is taking responsibility/credit for knocking EA's Origin offline with a distributed denial of service attack, but this seems to have ended, as EA tweets that Origin is back online, while Steam is still having problems as of this writing.

View
81 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

21. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 12:46 HorrorScope

I think it has something with Disney, Marvel and digital distribution.

But why would someone do this to the gamers? Lol, like they have our interests at heart. I say they do it because they bought Nether, wanted a refund and was DENIED!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 12:32 Acleacius

I started having trouble connecting late last nite but didn't really effect me since I just logged in offline to play.

This is just kids, as pointed out Valve/Steam has no real strategic power in government or politics.

Damn now I'm unable to post to Blue's forum!

Edit: Omg I'm a spammer, I suck!
Damn I tried to delete post 18 and 19 but don't have permission, sorry Blue.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

19. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 12:32 Acleacius

Please delete me!

This comment was edited on Jan 3, 2014, 12:43.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

18. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 12:32 Acleacius

Please delete me!

This comment was edited on Jan 3, 2014, 12:44.

17. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 12:28 Gadzooks

InBlack wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 11:01:
I eagerly await the day when these hackers will get around to doing something infinitely more constructive with their talent then DDosing digital game retailers. Ok i get it. EA is universally hated by gamers but surely there are other more worthwhile targets out there if you really want to make a point??

From the sounds of it, it doesnt take much talent to do a DDos attack given the assortment of scripts and tools that do it for you.

16. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 12:27 BitWraith

Calling these guys hackers, or even referring to them as skilled in any way, is a bit of a stretch.  

15. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 12:21 Frijoles

Wesp5 wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 12:08:
Maybe this was intended as some kind of warning to Valve, which is planning to conquer the living room with their Steamboxes when they can't even keep Steam running under stress. Or at online DRM at all, which is generally a bad idea as these situations show...

Meh, couldn't play the Brothers game due to the cloud being offline. But most of my other single-player games worked just fine. I agree though, this shows that online DRM sucks. I was more annoyed that I couldn't see the status of my friends.

14. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 12:20 Linksil

Yea, not being able to sell off the last of the winter cards before they disappear is annoying.  
Munching On: Warframe, Final Fantasy 6, Tales of Xallia, Saints Row 4.

13. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 12:13 Krovven

And Steam store seems to be back up, for those that are wanting to grab something or get those last Globes they want.

12. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 12:08 Wesp5

Maybe this was intended as some kind of warning to Valve, which is planning to conquer the living room with their Steamboxes when they can't even keep Steam running under stress. Or at online DRM at all, which is generally a bad idea as these situations show...  

11. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 12:06 Wowbagger_TIP

I think they're just trying to prevent me from getting that #10 snow globe card I need to get the badge! Those bastards!  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

10. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 12:03 Creston

Agent.X7 wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 11:58:
Is it really worth a prison sentence to piss off a bunch of gamers? They always think that they won;t be caught, and they are almost always caught.

So much lulz to be had in prison.

9. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 11:59 MoreLuckThanSkill

Shit like this just reinforces the notion that WAY too many computers are being run with little to no security. You would think that most of these DDoS bots would be personal computers, but I remember some study recently saying the majority were corporate workstations or something?

Either way, useless spammers with thousands or millions of slaved boxes that they shouldn't have in the first place.

What little faith I have in humanity is getting eroded on a daily basis. Ugh.

8. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 11:58 Agent.X7

Is it really worth a prison sentence to piss off a bunch of gamers? They always think that they won;t be caught, and they are almost always caught.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

7. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 11:42 SXO

They aren't doing this to make some sort of statement, they are simply trolling everyone. The fact that everyone is getting riled up is exactly their desired effect. In fact, didn't this originally start as a personal vendetta against a Twitch streamer?  

6. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 11:40 Wookiestick

Lot of places are going down due to DDos today. Here's a visual representation of what's going down.
http://www.digitalattackmap.com/#anim=1&color=0&country=ALL&time=16073&view=map

Love thy wookie.

5. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 11:40 Krovven

Yep, pretty sad little kiddies need to do shit like this. Saw this on Kotaku last night when the Steam store first went down. Sad that it's still going on. It serves zero purpose, affects millions of people and the little shits are just laughing and relishing in their perceived fame. And of course Dev thinks this is because Steam needs to invest more in their infrastructure... /facepalm

And not sure why Blue hasn't got it referenced, but it's another group claiming responsibility for the Steam attacks, as Derp seems to claim to be doing their attacks on Origin in support of Steam. pair-claim-to-have-attacked-steams-servers

Seriously Blue, the URL command sucks. Can you not have it auto fill the selected url into the correct spot after the = ?

This comment was edited on Jan 3, 2014, 11:47.

4. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 11:29 Darks

InBlack wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 11:01:
I eagerly await the day when these hackers will get around to doing something infinitely more constructive with their talent then DDosing digital game retailers. Ok i get it. EA is universally hated by gamers but surely there are other more worthwhile targets out there if you really want to make a point??

I agree Black, Attacking these servers serve no purpose at all. All they are doing is hurting the gamers trying to connect to these services. These guys are more dangerous than the normal every day person who pirates a movie or game. The Gov. seems more interested in taking down pirated sites when they should be putting their efforts into taking these asshats off line permanently.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

3. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 11:09 El Pit

Dev wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 09:34:
If there's any ddosing going on its from many thousands of legit customers trying to craft before things disappear. Good ole steam and still not having enough front end capacity or load balancing.

We'll see...

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

2. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 11:04 SpectralMeat

Not to mention this basically pisses off people who uses these services. If hackers want to make a point of hating on a company why fuck the users up?  

Steam: SpectralMeat

81 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo