Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam, Origin DDoSed?

Steam is suffering from connectivity issues, and attempts to use various aspects of Valve's online service return "118" errors, which say: "Unable to connect to server. Server may be offline or you may not be connected to the internet." Shacknews notes a pair of twitter users are claiming to be behind the Steam outage, but Valve has not yet officially responded to the situation. Likewise, Polygon notes hacking group DERP is taking responsibility/credit for knocking EA's Origin offline with a distributed denial of service attack, but this seems to have ended, as EA tweets that Origin is back online, while Steam is still having problems as of this writing.

View
81 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

41. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 16:31 ViRGE

InBlack wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 11:01:
I eagerly await the day when these hackers will get around to doing something infinitely more constructive with their talent then DDosing digital game retailers. Ok i get it. EA is universally hated by gamers but surely there are other more worthwhile targets out there if you really want to make a point??
You know what they say: misery loves company.

Making other people unhappy always is and always will be fun. Especially for juveniles, who as a whole have an underdeveloped/undertrained sense of empathy.

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 16:18:
BitWraith wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 12:27:
Calling these guys hackers, or even referring to them as skilled in any way, is a bit of a stretch.
Pretty much. They're nothing but script kiddies using automated tools, which is about the same a 5 year old being able to push the big shiny button on their playskool "it makes noise" go-go car.
Very true. But it does mean they have resources. You can't take down something like Steam with a handful of computers on a residential connection. That requires a fairly large botnot.

So script kiddies or not, they (unfortunately) have power and the means to abuse it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 16:18 Mashiki Amiketo

BitWraith wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 12:27:
Calling these guys hackers, or even referring to them as skilled in any way, is a bit of a stretch.
Pretty much. They're nothing but script kiddies using automated tools, which is about the same a 5 year old being able to push the big shiny button on their playskool "it makes noise" go-go car.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

39. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 16:11 ProfMike

"Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it."

Me, too. Mine had a light gun and of course I "inherited" all of my friends' Atari 2600 games after they moved on to "better" consoles.

It's good to know there's more than just one of me in the world.

38. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 15:50 Cutter

Hah! I sold all my globes as I got them after I finished the badge. He who hesitates is lost.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

37. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 15:41 Acleacius

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 13:20:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 13:17:
So let me get this straight....it is now past 1300, so you can no longer buy or sell the globes - but they were down for how many hours? And now you can't do anything with them, and they are probably going to yank all of them? wow. Classy!
Yeah that does suck.
I was expecting Steam to at least expand the sale a few hours due to the issues they've had.
Instead they just ignored it like it never happened.
I'm not 100% sure (probably someone like Dev would know) but think it's because of the contracts, all these sales are setup months ahead of time. It's possible some dickish company like ea, activision or ubi could sue Valve if they continued the sale without permission.

El Pit wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 13:37:
Acleacius wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 12:32:
Omg I'm a spammer, I suck!
Damn I tried to delete post 18 and 19 but don't have permission, sorry Blue.

Ahaaaaaaaa! SAY NO MORE! So, you're DDoSing Blue's News, right? RIGHT?! NSA waterboarding, Guantanamo Bay, or a Justin Bieber concert. It's your choice.
Oh, oh, could I pick waterboarding justin bieber and nsa, at guantanamo bay? Can I, can I, please, please? Mwahaha Plotting

Or since they are already active, could easily been:
'Syrian Electronic Army' hacks Skype's Twitter and blog accounts

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

36. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 15:17 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 14:59:
Raven wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 14:33:
I listed all my globes on the market last night, but by the time I woke up, they were all back in my inventory... I could list them again, but they would keep dropping off after a minute or so.

What did you list them for? I listed a few for 15 cents (with steams cut 17 cents) and made like a buck, which allowed me to easily buy the ones I didn't have.

But that was a few days ago, as well. Sounds like everyone dumped theirs?

There was 70,000 of each gobe for sale when the server came back up - so Valve is sticking all of those people with those cards. Me included, as I couldn't buy/sell any as I intended to....wtf.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

35. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 15:07 Redmask

Krovven wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 11:40:
Yep, pretty sad little kiddies need to do shit like this. Saw this on Kotaku last night when the Steam store first went down. Sad that it's still going on. It serves zero purpose, affects millions of people and the little shits are just laughing and relishing in their perceived fame. And of course Dev thinks this is because Steam needs to invest more in their infrastructure... /facepalm

And not sure why Blue hasn't got it referenced, but it's another group claiming responsibility for the Steam attacks, as Derp seems to claim to be doing their attacks on Origin in support of Steam. pair-claim-to-have-attacked-steams-servers

Seriously Blue, the URL command sucks. Can you not have it auto fill the selected url into the correct spot after the = ?

If there's one group of people you can trust, its hackers who have DDOS'd everything from Guild Wars to Origin.

34. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 15:02 SpectralMeat

nin wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 14:59:
Sounds like everyone dumped theirs?

I did mine, but that was also yesterday before the server wackiness started.

Steam: SpectralMeat

33. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 14:59 nin

Raven wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 14:33:
I listed all my globes on the market last night, but by the time I woke up, they were all back in my inventory... I could list them again, but they would keep dropping off after a minute or so.

What did you list them for? I listed a few for 15 cents (with steams cut 17 cents) and made like a buck, which allowed me to easily buy the ones I didn't have.

But that was a few days ago, as well. Sounds like everyone dumped theirs?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

32. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 14:33 Raven

31. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 13:50 Pigeon

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 13:22:
So let me get this straight....it is now past 1300, so you can no longer buy or sell the globes - but they were down for how many hours? And now you can't do anything with them, and they are probably going to yank all of them? wow. Classy!
Yeah that does suck.
I was expecting Steam to at least expand the sale a few hours due to the issues they've had.

And it wasn't just the store front that got hit, look at the stats. 8M users to 4M users.

I barely managed to get it done last night. I hope they end up giving more time, otherwise people will shift their ire from the DDoS'ers to Valve for handling it poorly. Which I'm sure would make the little trolls very happy.

30. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 13:46  Blue 

If I delete them, they will still sit there saying *Deleted*, which is not very different from how they stand as it is, so don't sweat it.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

29. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 13:37 El Pit

Omg I'm a spammer, I suck!

Ahaaaaaaaa! SAY NO MORE! So, you're DDoSing Blue's News, right? RIGHT?! NSA waterboarding, Guantanamo Bay, or a Justin Bieber concert. It's your choice.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

28. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 13:22 xXBatmanXx

Yeah that does suck.

And it wasn't just the store front that got hit, look at the stats. 8M users to 4M users.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

27. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 13:21 xXBatmanXx

On top of that - I have been able to trade with NO ONE this whole time. Everytime we would try a trade it would get an error....  

26. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 13:20 SpectralMeat

Yeah that does suck.

Steam: SpectralMeat

25. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 13:17 xXBatmanXx

24. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 13:12 Ryan Lange

Gadzooks wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 12:28:
From the sounds of it, it doesnt take much talent to do a DDos attack given the assortment of scripts and tools that do it for you.

You still need access to a botnet, though. You either build it yourself or buy access to an existing one.

23. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 13:00 Linksil

People do it, because they can, on the internet. That's been a long rule, and when your the biggest at what you do, people target you just because. There's no justifiable reason behind this mess.

What makes me more sad is how you read more and more articles about spying/limiting/arguing over the internet usage in country's. But they never try to actually use those to stop things like this and find justice for the normal consumer.

Munching On: Archeage, SAO Vita, Tales of Xallia 1/2.

22. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 12:59 jdreyer

I noticed this issue last night (and posted about it). It's weird. Right now, I can get to the store and buy things (just picked up Dark Souls on the rec of my nephew), but not to my snow globes.  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

81 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo