Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam, Origin DDoSed?

Steam is suffering from connectivity issues, and attempts to use various aspects of Valve's online service return "118" errors, which say: "Unable to connect to server. Server may be offline or you may not be connected to the internet." Shacknews notes a pair of twitter users are claiming to be behind the Steam outage, but Valve has not yet officially responded to the situation. Likewise, Polygon notes hacking group DERP is taking responsibility/credit for knocking EA's Origin offline with a distributed denial of service attack, but this seems to have ended, as EA tweets that Origin is back online, while Steam is still having problems as of this writing.

View
81 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

61. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 4, 2014, 02:13 jdreyer

Yeah, until Steam says one way or the other, it's all speculation. People could be just claiming the DDOS'd Steam, when in fact it was simple lack of bandwidth.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

60. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 4, 2014, 01:34 Dev

I went back and checked every one of the links in blues blurb. Its all about claims, no hard facts yet, beyond steam having issues. My theory fits steam having issues at that point in time just as well as the DDOS one does. EA's issues could be unrelated, could be a DDOS or could be something else entirely.

I'll admit the DDOS theory is possible, but so is mine

59. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 4, 2014, 01:16 ColoradoHoudini

As someone in the Information Security field (Information Assurance, more accurately).. these attacks make people like me slightly more wanted.. which is good for me! ..bad for the data owners/users.  

58. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 4, 2014, 00:55 Dev

Krovven wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 00:22:
Dev wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 00:09:
I don't think it was a ddos. I think it was everyone frantically trying to buy/sell/craft globes since this time valve said they were going away.

And valve's front end setup couldn't handle it.

Did you look at any of the links at all? 2 groups were DDOSing Origin, Battle.net, Steam among others. See the Twitter feeds linked in the stories.

hackers-claim-to-have-broken-eas-origin-service

pair-claim-to-have-attacked-steams-servers

People can claim things that don't happen. Just because they claimed it, isn't proof a ddos attach hit steam.
Krovven wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 00:24:
Dev wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 00:15:
Interesting. Any links? I'd like to read up on it.

I guess that answers my question in my previous post...you didn't read anything. You didn't read the links in the story Blue posted above, and you didn't read any links earlier in the thread.
As for it being used to make money...I haven't heard anything like that, but who knows.

I was specifically asking for links to making money, the links about the twitter users are above of course.

57. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 4, 2014, 00:24 Krovven

Dev wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 00:15:

I guess that answers my question in my previous post...you didn't read anything. You didn't read the links in the story Blue posted above, and you didn't read any links earlier in the thread.
As for it being used to make money...I haven't heard anything like that, but who knows.

56. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 4, 2014, 00:22 Krovven

I don't think it was a ddos. I think it was everyone frantically trying to buy/sell/craft globes since this time valve said they were going away.

Did you look at any of the links at all? 2 groups were DDOSing Origin, Battle.net, Steam among others. See the Twitter feeds linked in the stories.

hackers-claim-to-have-broken-eas-origin-service

pair-claim-to-have-attacked-steams-servers

55. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 4, 2014, 00:15 Dev

nin wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 14:59:
What did you list them for? I listed a few for 15 cents (with steams cut 17 cents) and made like a buck, which allowed me to easily buy the ones I didn't have.

But that was a few days ago, as well. Sounds like everyone dumped theirs?

Prices went up and down. They started high, dropped low, then this weekend they started climbing again a bit since this weekend (valve shows a price history when you click something in the market). I have no idea why the people who had 70k+ on there didn't drop their prices more, seeing as valve announced in ADVANCE that they were all going to go away
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 00:12:
nah, if anything it was DDoS and scripts people were using to buy and sell frantically to make money. There are reports of people making thousands in mere minutes.....

54. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 4, 2014, 00:12 xXBatmanXx

nah, if anything it was DDoS and scripts people were using to buy and sell frantically to make money. There are reports of people making thousands in mere minutes.....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

53. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 4, 2014, 00:09 Dev

52. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 22:44 nin

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 22:37:
Well something is F'd. Apparently I am the only one with Globes in my inventory?

Mine are gone.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

51. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 22:37 xXBatmanXx

Well something is F'd. Apparently I am the only one with Globes in my inventory?  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

50. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 20:35 Quinn

As Steam actually said, I thought I had til the end of the sale to "get my cards"... as in, those I didn't have yet... as in "buy some more games!". I figured I'd just trade around after the sale when I got the actual time; get my badge later.

I feel screwed. It's actually the decisive factor to just not give a shit about any badges anymore.

As for the sale: It's been a big meh. Not Steam's fault, I guess. Due to the lack of actual big titles, Steam had to do it with months old titles and crappy indie fillers. Man, last year I woke myself up at night to check out the latest sales. The contrast is astonishing.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

49. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 19:47 ASeven

And it's down again.  

48. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 19:08 jacobvandy

There should be a pair of orange vans filled with crowbar-wielding "independent contractors" heading over to meet those chuckle-heads tonight.  

47. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 18:24 Sleep

School starts again next week thank god. They can go back to being beaten up by the sporty types.  

46. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 17:55 dubfanatic

Ryan Lange wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 13:12:
You still need access to a botnet, though. You either build it yourself or buy access to an existing one.

Actually, with DNS amplification attacks, you don't need one. One fat neckbeard sitting in his parents' basement can use open DNS recursors to act as a botnet and take down a target faster than he can microwave a bag of Pizza Rolls.

45. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 17:15 xXBatmanXx

Krovven wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 17:06:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 17:04:
Well, I hope they make this right and let me do something with the globes I have....

You still have them? People were saying yesterday that they were going to be removed from inventories.

Yes, I posted that msg last night that Steam is jacked, and I couldn't do anything with them (couldn't access Steam).....so when it came up today - couldn't do anything, they locked em all down. That is a THEM issue, not a ME issue.....

44. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 17:06 Krovven

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 17:04:
Well, I hope they make this right and let me do something with the globes I have....

You still have them? People were saying yesterday that they were going to be removed from inventories.

43. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 17:04 xXBatmanXx

42. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 3, 2014, 16:46 El Pit

And I still can't access my inventory... Well, at least I can play my games.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

81 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo