Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam, Origin DDoSed?

Steam is suffering from connectivity issues, and attempts to use various aspects of Valve's online service return "118" errors, which say: "Unable to connect to server. Server may be offline or you may not be connected to the internet." Shacknews notes a pair of twitter users are claiming to be behind the Steam outage, but Valve has not yet officially responded to the situation. Likewise, Polygon notes hacking group DERP is taking responsibility/credit for knocking EA's Origin offline with a distributed denial of service attack, but this seems to have ended, as EA tweets that Origin is back online, while Steam is still having problems as of this writing.

View
81 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

81. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 6, 2014, 10:37 Mr. Tact

So, these are teens/idiots getting thrills by shutting down a service or is there some supposed purpose behind this? I mean, I can understand wanting to fight "the man" but not sure I see what this accomplishes.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

80. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 6, 2014, 09:50 Verno

People look at their Steam inventories way too much, holy shit.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

79. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 4, 2014, 15:48 jacobvandy

I'm fairly sure they don't give a shit about expired snow globes at the moment... I know I wouldn't. I don't know why you would, either? I've got tons of crap cluttering my inventory, including coupons I didn't ask for and can't just get rid of, but it's not the end of the world.

This comment was edited on Jan 4, 2014, 15:53.

78. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 4, 2014, 14:19 nin

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 12:08:
Tired of it. They better fix the Holiday Globe thing....I still have them in my inventory, have taken pictures just in case, and it appears others have them in their inventory, but I can't select theirs or mine to trade....

I would be surprised if they did. They'll just sweep it under the rug and move on...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

77. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 4, 2014, 14:09 Wowbagger_TIP

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 12:08:
Tired of it. They better fix the Holiday Globe thing....I still have them in my inventory, have taken pictures just in case, and it appears others have them in their inventory, but I can't select theirs or mine to trade....
Yeah, they've been disabled. I thought that's what was supposed to happen though. Maybe they'll remove them eventually. Same effect either way though really I guess.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

76. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 4, 2014, 12:28 Dacron

Dev wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 04:16:
Krovven wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 03:27:
So no, your theory is not possible.
There's a difference between not possible, and not plausible.
My theory is very possible.

I'm claiming its POSSIBLE the other things were coincidence.

It's much easier when they just admit they're trolling.

75. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 4, 2014, 12:08 xXBatmanXx

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

74. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 4, 2014, 12:03 ASeven

Seems Steam is down once again. Maybe this will finally be the impetus for Valve to get better servers.  

73. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 4, 2014, 11:56 Wowbagger_TIP

Still having problems this morning apparently. Now I'm getting this error:

Error Code: -102

Unable to connect to server. Server may be offline or you may not be connected to the internet.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

72. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 4, 2014, 11:17 Mashiki Amiketo

Overon wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 11:03:
He got pizza orders, constant phone calls, got swatted, got multiple non swat visits from police as well and every game he streamed got taken down in sequence.
That's not a DDoS, that's plain old harassment and in most instances criminal harassment as it would be called up here in canadaland.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

71. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 4, 2014, 11:03 Overon

Well someones or some groups can certainly ddos well. Look at this guy's plight
here
He got pizza orders, constant phone calls, got swatted, got multiple non swat visits from police as well and every game he streamed got taken down in sequence.

70. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 4, 2014, 09:00 Redmask

Dev wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 04:16:

This is really getting stupid, it's also possible that a meteor might hit SteamHQ but the likelihood is miniscule. Believe what you want but they got DDOS'd like several other major gaming websites and services in the same time stretch.

69. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 4, 2014, 06:31 Mashiki Amiketo

ViRGE wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 16:31:
]Very true. But it does mean they have resources. You can't take down something like Steam with a handful of computers on a residential connection. That requires a fairly large botnot.

So script kiddies or not, they (unfortunately) have power and the means to abuse it.
Last time I went looking around the underbelly of the internet(few years ago for a security project), I could buy 5k-15k machines in a botnet for a couple of hundred bucks. So, if you're dense as a post, have a couple of hundred bucks to throw around you too could DDoS something off, and if you're on the cheap you could steal/build/buy your own "build your own botkit" from the same underbelly and just wait a couple of weeks/months to have a functioning botnet of your very own.

This stuff isn't earth shattering by anymeans anymore, the price probably has gone up after they smashed that ring in eastern europe though.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

68. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 4, 2014, 06:08 jacobvandy

Luke wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 05:55:
And to think with a cd/dvd and no stupid online shit one could play his/her game with no problem...hmmm Clown

Games were not impacted at all. You can still get to your library, and even download things because the content servers are completely separate from the other stuff (not to mention redundant dozens of times over). Was even playing Payday 2, an online Steamworks game, with some buddies Thursday night.

67. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 4, 2014, 05:55 Luke

And to think with a cd/dvd and no stupid online shit one could play his/her game with no problem...hmmm Clown  

66. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 4, 2014, 04:32 Ventura

I suppose the moon landing was filmed in a studio and Al Qaeda didn't fly planes into the WTC.

And JFK was killed by one guy in that Texas book depository.

Oh, wait...

65. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 4, 2014, 04:29 harlock

wow this story is so interesting  

64. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 4, 2014, 04:16 Dev

63. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 4, 2014, 04:10 El Pit

So, Steam told me yesterday that I had 7 new items in my inventory. But I couldn't access my inventory. Today, the DDoS attack is over, so my intentory is back online, and guess what? 3 items were snowballs, that vanished the very moment I accessed my inventory. Which makes me want to beat some sense into one of the script kids like their parents should do.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

62. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 4, 2014, 03:27 Krovven

Dev wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 01:34:
I went back and checked every one of the links in blues blurb. Its all about claims, no hard facts yet, beyond steam having issues. My theory fits steam having issues at that point in time just as well as the DDOS one does. EA's issues could be unrelated, could be a DDOS or could be something else entirely.

I'll admit the DDOS theory is possible, but so is mine

You are just being naive and ignorant to support your incessant whining about Steam needing to improve their infrastructure. So Origin, Steam, Battle.net, League of Legends, and World of Tanks were all down at the same time and you are trying to claim it was pure coincidence and not from DDoS attacks, that groups have publicly taken responsibility for. Nevermind, that they said they were going to do it, before it actually started. So no, your theory is not possible.

I suppose the moon landing was filmed in a studio and Al Qaeda didn't fly planes into the WTC.

81 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo