Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Eye Tracking Controller Plans

Tobii and SteelSeries announce details on a collaboration for eye-tracking for videogames, calling this "the next big thing in gaming and computer interaction," as they expand on technology used to help people overcome physical problems to interface with computers. This will be shown off at next week's CES where development kits will be sold, and word is they plan on releasing this to the public this coming summer. Here's word:

Tobii eye tracking increases the bandwidth between the gamer and the game, allowing gamers to do more at the same time, which also creates a richer gaming experience. Add an extra aiming mechanism, remove the interruption of the game play by creating easier access to menus and commands, or make games with complex controls easier to learn.

“The integration of eye tracking into the game experience is literally a game changer – not only for the gamers themselves but also for developers,” said Hawver. “Eye tracking capabilities offer game developers a new, creative approach to game development. It becomes a truly immersive experience for players.”

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Eye Tracking Controller Plans Jan 4, 2014, 12:17 HoSpanky

I see this as a useful tool for people with physical disabilities, but really, it'd end up being used to determine if people really looked at certain billboards in racing games and using that to determine how much to charge to put an ad there.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Eye Tracking Controller Plans Jan 3, 2014, 21:16 Cutter

mag wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 19:16:
Cutter wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 16:01:
Noble as it sounds to help the cripples how many people would we really be talking about it? 0.01% of the population?

That aside it sound like a cheat as far as FPS' go.

Jesus Christ man. Do they really have the Internet back in the 40s?

Jesus Christ man. Maybe some of us are sick and tired of the endless corporate bullshit where they try to spin everything as noble when it really comes down to a buck. Go back to sticking your head in the sand. You'll be much happier.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

9. Re: Eye Tracking Controller Plans Jan 3, 2014, 19:16 mag

Cutter wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 16:01:
Noble as it sounds to help the cripples how many people would we really be talking about it? 0.01% of the population?

Jesus Christ man. Do they really have the Internet back in the 40s?

8. Re: Eye Tracking Controller Plans Jan 3, 2014, 18:49 jdreyer

I wonder if this project is due to Oculus Rift getting so much attention and funding.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

7. Re: Eye Tracking Controller Plans Jan 3, 2014, 16:01 Cutter

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

6. Re: Eye Tracking Controller Plans Jan 3, 2014, 15:19 Beamer

DangerDog wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 14:24:
Needs head position tracking as well, If nothing else great news for people with disabilities.

I did work on eye tracking for disabilities in college. I don't know if anything ever came from the project. We had decent accuracy then, and that was a pretty long time ago.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

5. Re: Eye Tracking Controller Plans Jan 3, 2014, 15:19 SpectralMeat

LgFriess wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 15:13:
Going to place my order for TrackIR5 this weekend. My rising number of flight sims, racing sims, Arma3, upcoming Elite and Star Citizen (hopefully both will have support), and finally Eurotruck2 have pushed me into it.
Yep same here. Lots of games supporting it now and I've been meaning to pick one up for a long time.
Elite is going to be kick ass with it, but for now Arma and Eurotruck will keep me entertained. There are other games I own like F1 that also supports it, and I fully expect every new racing games to support it as well.
Looking forward to play around with it next week.

Steam: SpectralMeat

4. Re: Eye Tracking Controller Plans Jan 3, 2014, 15:17 HorrorScope

I won't poo poo it yet. If it works like I can imagine, it would be at least better than touch screens on PC's.  

3. Re: Eye Tracking Controller Plans Jan 3, 2014, 15:13 LgFriess

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 11:02:
Just pulled the trigger on a TrackIR5

This eye tracking sounds interesting but I wonder how well this will work for people with glasses for example. Same concern I have for the Rift also.

Going to place my order for TrackIR5 this weekend. My rising number of flight sims, racing sims, Arma3, upcoming Elite and Star Citizen (hopefully both will have support), and finally Eurotruck2 have pushed me into it.

2. Re: Eye Tracking Controller Plans Jan 3, 2014, 14:24 DangerDog

Needs head position tracking as well, If nothing else great news for people with disabilities.  

1. Re: Eye Tracking Controller Plans Jan 3, 2014, 11:02 SpectralMeat

Just pulled the trigger on a TrackIR5

This eye tracking sounds interesting but I wonder how well this will work for people with glasses for example. Same concern I have for the Rift also.

This comment was edited on Jan 3, 2014, 13:19.

Steam: SpectralMeat

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo