Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well we sure did get socked by that winter storm around here, with most of it coming overnight, as it looks like about a foot of snow is pilled up out there waiting for me and my shovel. As unappealing as this sounds in general, it's actually going to be worse than that, because when slogging out to tend to the birdfeeder I got to experience the 6F temperature that accompanies this, or -17F (-27C) if you count the wind chill. This was enough to freeze my hands to the metal on the feeder, and the snow might as well be a topical anesthetic the way contact with it makes your skin instantly go numb. And with the Super Bowl planned for this area exactly 30 days from today, one really does start to wonder what it will be like if the weather is like this for the big game. Oh, speaking of which, I found a free playoff bracket tracker, and I think I have properly set up an NFL playoff pool, so if you are interested in another chance to crush me with your football knowledge, you can participate via this page.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Disposabot.
Ethereal Masters 2.
Links: 2014 TV Premiere Dates. Archer on 1/13, baby!
Read this if you want to be happy in 2014 - Scott Adams.
Science: Dogs Poop in Alignment with Earth's Magnetic Field. Don't we all?
Ancient Roman Sundial's Secrets Revealed In Computer Simulations.
The Sugar Addiction Taboo.
Media: Veronica Mars - Theatrical Trailer (In Select Theaters- March 14, 2014).
Pilot's View of Airbus A380 approach and landing at San Francisco. Thanks reddit.
Auctions: Man Sold Stolen Antique Brains on eBay. Abby Normal.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 5, 2014, 00:54 mag

jdreyer wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 21:05:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 17:20:
Not only that - but I have all of the free stuff here in MN too!

Um, "free" stuff? I hope you don't mean b/c you're a police officer. Anxious

Mmm, kickbacks and "lost" evidence!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2014, 21:05 jdreyer

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 17:20:
Not only that - but I have all of the free stuff here in MN too!

Um, "free" stuff? I hope you don't mean b/c you're a police officer. Anxious

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2014, 21:01 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 21:49:
Is it just me, or is that a REALLY fast turn around on the Veronica Mars movie?

Well, it is based on a TV show used to throwing out 46m a week, so putting out a 2 hour movie should only take 3.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2014, 17:20 xXBatmanXx

Creston wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 12:44:
BobBob wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 14:05:
Think it's expensive? Not at all. Your habits and lifestyle will completely change from spending too much on TV and video games to going outside to free parks, beaches, forests, and other outdoor locations.

Sure. But that doesn't negate the fact that rent prices are ~ 90% higher in LA than in Tulsa, and that prices to buy are about ~ 230% higher. source

(Though I will admit that I was surprised that other than that, the price difference isn't as much as I thought it would be.)

So I'd rather pay 200K for my mortgage here, and live in a house that would cost me $700+K in LA.

Not only that - but I have all of the free stuff here in MN too! 230K mortgage....not only that, but I live in NE Mpls - the best place to live here. Anything you could ever want is just blocks away.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2014, 14:37 BobBob

Tulsa, OK, July: http://tinyurl.com/mcg9sdg
Tulsa, OK, December: http://tinyurl.com/luckc8d

Manhattan Beach, CA, July: http://tinyurl.com/kgvajnt
Manhattan Beach, CA December: http://tinyurl.com/lpl3rzy

My heating and electric bill are typically $15 to $20 monthly each, all year round. I never turn on the heater. I typically open the windows for sunlight; though I prefer to go outside and work. I only turn lights on during the nighttime.

This comment was edited on Jan 4, 2014, 15:04.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2014, 12:44 Creston

Think it's expensive? Not at all. Your habits and lifestyle will completely change from spending too much on TV and video games to going outside to free parks, beaches, forests, and other outdoor locations.

Sure. But that doesn't negate the fact that rent prices are ~ 90% higher in LA than in Tulsa, and that prices to buy are about ~ 230% higher. source

(Though I will admit that I was surprised that other than that, the price difference isn't as much as I thought it would be.)

So I'd rather pay 200K for my mortgage here, and live in a house that would cost me $700+K in LA.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2014, 03:09 mag

I was born and raised in California. I have traveled around the world, including many parts of the USA. I've experienced severe climates, especially in Northern Europe and the US East through the Mid-West. I moved back for one reason -- I seriously hated the climates in other locations. I call them climatic prisons. I may move to Hawaii someday, but the South Bay fits my needs for now. I encourage anyone to consider living in California or Hawaii for a year. You will experience the freedom to be outside all year round. I believe you'll never want to return anywhere else. Think it's expensive? Not at all. Your habits and lifestyle will completely change from spending too much on TV and video games to going outside to free parks, beaches, forests, and other outdoor locations.

I did Hawaii for a while, and I'd like to go back to spend some time there again, but I left for a reason.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2014, 02:22 Creston

About a year or so, I think? Seems fairly normal for a movie. In any case, I'm glad they were able to do it for a relatively tiny budget (for movies) and that everything appears to have gone smoothly.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2014, 00:01 Acleacius

Cold U.S. Temperatures Expected To Break Records As 'Polar Vortex' Blasts Midwest
Polar Vortex, wtf? I had to look it up, apparently it's caused by too many taxes on the rich! I checked to confirm it with foxnews.

Probably just because I'm anxious but thought it was taking too long.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2014, 21:49 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2014, 21:26 Cutter

No, they said within a century. And that was back in the 60s. So 2037 would be in line with that. Except Supes won't be there to turn back time. It's not the San Andreas Fault for nothing.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2014, 20:10 Creston

Cutter wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 19:44:
Nat Geo says big one guarenteed by 2037!!!

Eh. In the 80s they said the big one was guaranteed to hit by the turn of the century, 2005 at the latest.

Edit: Broke the tag.

This comment was edited on Jan 4, 2014, 02:21.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2014, 20:09 Creston

BobBob wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 17:15:
Do they have a 22 mile bicycle path on the beach?

Holland has like 500 miles of bicycle paths on the beach.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2014, 19:44 Cutter

1badmf wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 18:40:
why is everyone tripping about earthquakes? the vast majority of them are no big deal. hell, i don't even get out of bed for anything less than a 6. below that it's just a fun ride and i actually enjoy riding them out.

i'm on bobbob's train with this one; lived in socal for over 20 years, wouldn't want to live anywhere else. a huge part of it is the calling of the sea, but also the LALA Land craziness of it all. i dig it =D

I've been SF for a few and one of the bigger one and it's scary as hell. And even for the worst ones that hit they'll be peanuts compared to the big one. Nat Geo says big one guarenteed by 2037!!! At which point Arizona and Nevada will be beachfront property anyway - hell, just ask Lex Luthor about it!

And then there's crime, pollution, traffic, et al. I'm definitely in the 'it's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there' crowd.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2014, 19:08 jdreyer

nin wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 10:53:
This was enough to freeze my hands to the metal on the feeder

I'm having flashbacks...

Hahaha! I KNEW you were gonna double dog dare him!

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2014, 18:40 1badmf

why is everyone tripping about earthquakes? the vast majority of them are no big deal. hell, i don't even get out of bed for anything less than a 6. below that it's just a fun ride and i actually enjoy riding them out.

i'm on bobbob's train with this one; lived in socal for over 20 years, wouldn't want to live anywhere else. a huge part of it is the calling of the sea, but also the LALA Land craziness of it all. i dig it =D

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2014, 17:54 Mr. Tact

Once again, different strokes for different folks. Beach access isn't the "be all and end all" for everyone. I'll pass.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2014, 17:15 BobBob

Cutter wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 16:21:
Why not look at Arizona, New Mexico, et al. Hot, sunny, without the earthquakes. I'd love to live in either.

Do they have a 22 mile bicycle path on the beach?

This video captures it fairly well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa8zuMf0e9E

This comment was edited on Jan 3, 2014, 17:22.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2014, 16:21 Cutter

Why not look at Arizona, New Mexico, et al. Hot, sunny, without the earthquakes. I'd love to live in either.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2014, 15:47 killer_roach

Little different situation here weather-wise - but still, Kentucky is having some of their coldest weather ever. Got down to 6 last night (-8 wind chill) and might only be a high of 6 on Monday. Not much snow to speak of, however - but that's par for the course here.  

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo