Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

We are in the midst of a winter storm here in the northeastern U.S. that may dump as much as eight inches of snow on the area before its done. We're actually on the fringe of it, as it looks like areas north of us will get it far worse, so here's hoping everyone has battened down the hatches.

R.I.P.: James Avery, star of 'The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air,' dies at 68.
R.I.P.: Juanita Moore, Oscar-nominated actress, dead at 99.

Stormy Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Battalion Commander 2.
Links: The Top 10 Grossing Films Of 2013.
Stories: New Year's Twin Babies Born in Separate Years.
Target: Some gift cards not properly activated
Science: How Sleep Deprivation Decays the Mind and Body.
Images: What your favorite drink says about your politics, in one chart.
Media: True Facts About The Armadillo.
Three-Dimensional Mid-Air Acoustic Manipulation [Acoustic Levitation]. Thanks HARDOCP.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2014, 15:39 harlock

1badmf wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 05:24:
you believe that theory? it's untestable and so by definition is not science. if you subscribe to occam's razor, it's probably nothing more than confirmation bias by the observers. like i said, i don't believe in fate or any underlying guiding force, not without hard evidence. it's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me.

i dont believe much of anything.. and i especially abhor "blind faith" - even the kind induced by what you call "science", which is often just the modern equivalent of "demons and spirits did it"

the simple truth is that if you truly believe you know what is really going on and that you have it all figured out, then you are automatically a complete dumbass

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2014, 12:17 Agent.X7

1badmf wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 02:23:
nin wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 18:40:
1badmf wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 17:50:
cloud atlas i thought was pretentious crap. a visual marvel, but a story tied together by nothing more than lucky coincidence.

It's funny you use that phrase, as I thought (and maybe this is just me) the point was that nothing was a coincidence. That everything was happening for a reason, and that what had happened before might happen again.

I need to rewatch it again, it's been awhile and I'm a little fuzzy on the details...

no that was the point, i just thought it was made quite poorly. i know there was supposed to be some unifying force or thread tying together all the stories, but it was never made clear what it was or how it worked, which just leaves it up to fate which i absolutely don't believe in. thus the only remaining explanation is lucky chance which is no story at all to me.

Quantum entanglement.

It's a story, which by definition does not need to be possible to be entertaining.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2014, 05:24 1badmf

you believe that theory? it's untestable and so by definition is not science. if you subscribe to occam's razor, it's probably nothing more than confirmation bias by the observers. like i said, i don't believe in fate or any underlying guiding force, not without hard evidence. it's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me.  

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2014, 04:08 harlock

1badmf wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 02:23:
no that was the point, i just thought it was made quite poorly. i know there was supposed to be some unifying force or thread tying together all the stories, but it was never made clear what it was or how it worked, which just leaves it up to fate which i absolutely don't believe in. thus the only remaining explanation is lucky chance which is no story at all to me.

i thought everyone had heard of this idea by now..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronicity

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2014, 02:23 1badmf

nin wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 18:40:
cloud atlas i thought was pretentious crap. a visual marvel, but a story tied together by nothing more than lucky coincidence.

It's funny you use that phrase, as I thought (and maybe this is just me) the point was that nothing was a coincidence. That everything was happening for a reason, and that what had happened before might happen again.

I need to rewatch it again, it's been awhile and I'm a little fuzzy on the details...

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2014, 00:55 MattyC

jdreyer wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 16:58:
nin wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 16:53:
Killer Kane wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 15:52:
"Wachowskis never disappoint."

"Speed Racer?"

3rd Matrix movie...

At least Cloud Atlas was cool...

I, uh, conveniently pretend the last Matrix movie doesn't exist. Also, I like Speed Racer, so that's not a downer for me.

My opinion has mellowed with time, I don't think it is that bad anymore. That said, it was absolutely disappointing.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2014, 00:15 SlimRam

What your favorite drink says about your politics, in one chart.
Well, 'Boone's Farm Orange Hurricane' isn't being portrayed AT ALL on the chart, soooo, I suppose the refinement of my personal alcohol of choice matters not *huffs and shuts down image*

Slightly Off Movie Quotes:

"I love the smell of napalm and 'Fruity Pebbles' in the morning."

Bill Kilgore - Apocalypse Now

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 2, 2014, 23:54 Agent.X7

jdreyer wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 21:04:
Cutter wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 18:51:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 14:27:
Also, CAN'T FUCKING WAIT to watch the new Sherlock. Cumberbatch and Freeman are such huge stars now, it's amazing this got made at all. Not sure if we'll see a season 4.

Huge stars? Where? I know the one guy was in the new Star Trek but that's all I know. Huge star is when you say a name like Pitt or Clooney. See, I even though you were talking about the new Downey/Law flick.

And yes, the Wachowski brother and sister suck.

Let's see, Cumberbatch had major or starring roles this year in:
- The Hobbit
- Fifth Estate
- Star Trek: ID
- 12 Years a Slave

Freeman:
- The Hobbit (as Bilbo)
- The World's End
- Svengali

So, yeah, I'd say they're both huge stars now, to the point that they've outgrown TV. They do both adore Moffat's writing and the characters, though, so there's hope that Sherlock will continue.

Outgrown TV? What is this, the 90s?

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 2, 2014, 21:04 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 18:51:
Also, CAN'T FUCKING WAIT to watch the new Sherlock. Cumberbatch and Freeman are such huge stars now, it's amazing this got made at all. Not sure if we'll see a season 4.

Huge stars? Where? I know the one guy was in the new Star Trek but that's all I know. Huge star is when you say a name like Pitt or Clooney. See, I even though you were talking about the new Downey/Law flick.

Let's see, Cumberbatch had major or starring roles this year in:
- The Hobbit
- Fifth Estate
- Star Trek: ID
- 12 Years a Slave

Freeman:
- The Hobbit (as Bilbo)
- The World's End
- Svengali

So, yeah, I'd say they're both huge stars now, to the point that they've outgrown TV. They do both adore Moffat's writing and the characters, though, so there's hope that Sherlock will continue.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 2, 2014, 18:51 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 2, 2014, 18:46 Cutter

RIP The Shredder! While we all loved Uncle Phil, I still liked him better as The Shredder!

And that chart is pretty spot on. Dark rum is my favourite of all hooch - but only as a winter drink. In summer I'm all gin and tonic. The wines they listed are scheisse however. I much prefer small, natural/biodynamic single vineyard wines than the massed produced plonk of the big names.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 2, 2014, 18:40 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 2, 2014, 17:50 1badmf

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 2, 2014, 17:13 nin

jdreyer wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 16:58:

"Speed Racer?"

3rd Matrix movie...

I, uh, conveniently pretend the last Matrix movie doesn't exist. Also, I like Speed Racer, so that's not a downer for me.

SR wasn't bad, but I went in with rock bottom expectations...

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 2, 2014, 17:00 jdreyer

Another mind blowing vid by Josh on Limit Theory.

He says he'll be done mid-2014, but I don't see it. He might be ready for a beta then.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 2, 2014, 16:58 jdreyer

"Speed Racer?"

3rd Matrix movie...

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 2, 2014, 16:53 BobBob

jdreyer wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 14:22:
The Top 10 Grossing Films Of 2013.

Seeing Gravity on the list heartens me.

Gravity is a great movie at the theater in 3D. It's one of the few movies where 3D benefits and enhances the story's experience. I can't imagine enjoying it as much in 2D or on a home theater.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 2, 2014, 16:53 nin

"Speed Racer?"

3rd Matrix movie...

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 2, 2014, 15:52 Killer Kane

"Speed Racer?"

8. removed Jan 2, 2014, 15:01 harlock

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jan 3, 2014, 10:03.

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo