Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GOG.com Drops Fallout Games

GOG.com announces that Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics are no longer for sale on their DRM-free marketplace, apologetically, but vaguely citing "circumstances beyond [their] control." Here's the explanation of how this impacts people who have already purchased one or more of the seminal RPGs:

All those who acquired Fallout, Fallout 2, or Fallout Tactics on GOG.com prior to the date of removal (that is before Tuesday, December 31st 2013, at 3:59PM GMT), will still be able to download the games' install files (as well as the bonus content) via the "My Games" section of their user accounts. Gift-codes for these three games acquired in our recent giveaway are no longer valid. However, if you own a gift-code for any or all of them that was purchased outside of the said giveaway, you'll still be able to redeem it in the foreseeable future.

View
86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

86. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 4, 2014, 01:55 Dev

Orogogus wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 11:19:
BitWraith wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 08:59:
Gog knows they won't be coming back, or they wouldn't have made that melodramatic post saying they were going away. Otherwise, they would have said "The Fallout Games are temporarily unavailable."

Ha. Well, you'd hope they wouldn't do that again, anyway. Every time I'm about to buy something from GOG I think about that whole fiasco and that rambling interview where they were dressed up as monks, and about 3/4 of the time I end up not clicking Buy.
And the condescending non apology (though I think that's what you meant by the monks)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

85. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 3, 2014, 11:19 Orogogus

BitWraith wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 08:59:
Gog knows they won't be coming back, or they wouldn't have made that melodramatic post saying they were going away. Otherwise, they would have said "The Fallout Games are temporarily unavailable."

Ha. Well, you'd hope they wouldn't do that again, anyway. Every time I'm about to buy something from GOG I think about that whole fiasco and that rambling interview where they were dressed up as monks, and about 3/4 of the time I end up not clicking Buy.

84. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 3, 2014, 08:59 BitWraith

These games will not reappear on gog.

These companies do not live in a vacuum. Press releases are one thing, but some dude in an office at Bethesda didn't call some guy in an office at gog and tell them to remove the games with no prior communication. None of this is a "surprise" to either company.

83. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 3, 2014, 01:49 Beamer

Kristian Joensen wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 21:29:
I get it, I don't take it in the ass and so I am the enemy of all of gaming, right. Noted.

This is basically exactly what I'm talking about.

Either you read into things not said and call people liars, or you take it in the ass.

Seriously, the "hardcore" gaming community is probably the most toxic out there. Even sports freaks aren't as insane or obnoxious to the people that provide them entertainment (in return for cash, but still.)

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

82. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 3, 2014, 01:20 Krovven

Kristian Joensen wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 20:37:
You have no idea of what type of gamer and person I am.

Based on your asskissing tweets, it's quite obvious what kind of gamer and person you are.

81. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 2, 2014, 23:10 Jerykk

Beamer wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 21:24:
Beamer wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 20:31:
Kristian Joensen wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 19:55:
The existence of naive people is nothing new. Oh well. It is hilarious to me how anyone can get anything else out of that Twitter conversation. Every mention of GOG by somebody (that was not ignored) being followed up by a mention of Steam as if GOG doesn't even exist. The conclusion is obvious.

Of course! If they say something about GOG, and it never materializes, people like you will flip out. But, when they don't say anything, you're flipping out anyway.

The worst part is you call others naive. Fuck that. You're entitled and a nuisance.

Remember when we used to have .plan files? Do you know why that stopped? Because of people like you. You call yourself a fan, but you ruin everything for everyone. You overanalyze and whine and complain. When someone mentions something and you don't like it you address them directly and complain. When someone doesn't mention something you want to hear you address them directly and complain. You call them liars. You call everyone else naive.

Do you understand how software development works? Some things work. Some things don't work. With games, some things are fun. Some things aren't. With .plans, devs used to discuss things early in development. Sometimes they ended up not working and got cut. Sometimes they ended up not fun and got cut. But people like you threw shitfits and, guess what, devs stopped talking to the community because it became a no-win situation.

All this PR speak you claim to be so knowledgeable about is a direct result of people like you being shitty.
Why do we know nothing about Half Life 3? Because of "fans" like you.

You don't even realize how shitty you are, do you? You think you're a good, knowledgeable, intelligent fan. But you aren't a fan. You treat the people making you the things that entertain you like the enemy, and because of that all the rest of us are kept in the dark.

All of this coming from someone claiming I overanalyze? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

"You treat the people making you the things that entertain you like the enemy,"

So all the good things I have said about GOG, cd Project, Valve, Devolver Digital, Human Head, Remedy, id Software and others(Even including Bethesda/ZeniMax on some points) is treating them like enemies? HAHAHAHAH. You are very funny.

No. Tweeting Pete Hines and calling him a liar is treating him like the enemy. Coming on this board and calling them liars is treating them like the enemy.

Just shut up and play games you like. Don't play games you don't like. Stop being hypercritical of shit people fucking say or do not say. Goddammit, when's the last time we had a green icon around here? We never get them. Do you know why? Because stupid fucking people jump all over everything they say and chase them out of here.

There's a wall between us and game devs. You are the reason.

To be fair, publishers are the real reason. They are overly secretive about everything and want to have complete control over all information pertaining to all their games. Allowing devs to speak openly to customers undermines that goal.

80. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 2, 2014, 22:46 MajorD

walrus1 wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 10:21:
ldonyo wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 10:14:
MajorD wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 10:12:
HHHHMMMMMM, I DL them during the recent giveaway, but never installed them. I wonder if I'll be able to still install/play them. Thinking

Yes, you will be able to install and play them from the installs you have already downloaded.

Top Gear top tip: Now might be an excelent time to download the install files just in case.

@ldonyo & walrus1: Thank you much for info.

79. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 2, 2014, 21:29 Kristian Joensen

I get it, I don't take it in the ass and so I am the enemy of all of gaming, right. Noted.  

78. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 2, 2014, 21:24 Beamer

The existence of naive people is nothing new. Oh well. It is hilarious to me how anyone can get anything else out of that Twitter conversation. Every mention of GOG by somebody (that was not ignored) being followed up by a mention of Steam as if GOG doesn't even exist. The conclusion is obvious.

Of course! If they say something about GOG, and it never materializes, people like you will flip out. But, when they don't say anything, you're flipping out anyway.

The worst part is you call others naive. Fuck that. You're entitled and a nuisance.

Remember when we used to have .plan files? Do you know why that stopped? Because of people like you. You call yourself a fan, but you ruin everything for everyone. You overanalyze and whine and complain. When someone mentions something and you don't like it you address them directly and complain. When someone doesn't mention something you want to hear you address them directly and complain. You call them liars. You call everyone else naive.

Do you understand how software development works? Some things work. Some things don't work. With games, some things are fun. Some things aren't. With .plans, devs used to discuss things early in development. Sometimes they ended up not working and got cut. Sometimes they ended up not fun and got cut. But people like you threw shitfits and, guess what, devs stopped talking to the community because it became a no-win situation.

All this PR speak you claim to be so knowledgeable about is a direct result of people like you being shitty.

You don't even realize how shitty you are, do you? You think you're a good, knowledgeable, intelligent fan. But you aren't a fan. You treat the people making you the things that entertain you like the enemy, and because of that all the rest of us are kept in the dark.

So all the good things I have said about GOG, cd Project, Valve, Devolver Digital, Human Head, Remedy, id Software and others(Even including Bethesda/ZeniMax on some points) is treating them like enemies? HAHAHAHAH. You are very funny.

No. Tweeting Pete Hines and calling him a liar is treating him like the enemy. Coming on this board and calling them liars is treating them like the enemy.

Just shut up and play games you like. Don't play games you don't like. Stop being hypercritical of shit people fucking say or do not say. Goddammit, when's the last time we had a green icon around here? We never get them. Do you know why? Because stupid fucking people jump all over everything they say and chase them out of here.

There's a wall between us and game devs. You are the reason.

-------------

77. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 2, 2014, 20:37 Kristian Joensen

76. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 2, 2014, 20:34 Beamer

nin wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 19:52:
Kristian Joensen wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 19:48:
nin wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 19:45:
Kristian Joensen wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 19:43:
nin wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 19:39:
Obviously. The fact that you took all that away from a single quote is scary.

Years and years of experience of reading PR statements and seeing subsequent actions will do that to you, nothing scary about it. On the the other hand thinking PR people ever speak in anything even remotely reminiscent of a straightforward manner is naive in the extreme.

Honestly, when you got to comparing them to the NSA, I was laughing.

What is it with all the crazy around here lately?

I am only comparing them in the PR department. Both parties word statements extremely carefully. Nothing crazy about that.

Your twitter tantrum was also humorous. Thank you!

Oh my god, that twitter rant is so awful.
This kid thinks he's smart. He keeps going "derp derp PR-speak!" and thinks he's smart.

He's no better than that guy in the other topic going "Derp derp NYFD brought down Building 7 because JFK was shot on a sound stage derp derp." He thinks he's smart, but the conclusions he's jumping to are so ignorant. Yes, Kristian Joensen, ignorant. You have no clue what you're discussing. You have 1 bit of information and are extrapolating an entire, lengthy scenario from it. That's ignorant, because you don't know what the hell is going on between Bethesda and GOG, and it's crazy, because you're taking 1 clue and making a huge conspiracy from it.

Basically, you fucking ruined gaming.

-------------

75. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 2, 2014, 20:32 Mad Max RW

Kristian Joensen wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 20:26:
Mad Max RW wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 20:20:
How many Bethesda published games are on GOG?

I believe Arkane may have signed Arx Fatalis up prior to the acquisition. Not quite sure on the timing. Arkane is listed as the publisher though. Other than that? None.

By the way, the first and so far only commenter on this news item gets PR speak: VG247 Article

I saw right through that statement just like him as well.

Arx Fatalis on GOG

Yeah, I've been aware of Arx Fatalis on GOG for a while now. It doesn't mention Bethesda anywhere.

It's cute there are people naive enough to think Bethesda will re-release Fallout1/2/Tactics on GOG when they have no contract with them and likely never will.

74. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 2, 2014, 20:31 Beamer

-------------

73. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 2, 2014, 20:31 Kristian Joensen

nin wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 20:29:

I believe Arkane may have signed Arx Fatalis up prior to the acquisition. Not quite sure on the timing. Arkane is listed as the publisher though. Other than that? None.

By the way, the first and so far only commenter on this news item gets PR speak: VG247 Article

Arx Fatalis on GOG

You should totally start your own blog about how the NSA is working with these game companies! And the price of tinfoil going through the roof!

Please stop lying about what I said.

72. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 2, 2014, 20:30 Dev

Hmm. Let me count.... 1,2,3,7.... ok yeah I got it.

pretty close to none?

Wouldn't surprise me if fallout doesn't make it back to gog.

71. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 2, 2014, 20:29 nin

Arx Fatalis on GOG

You should totally start your own blog about how the NSA is working with these game companies! And the price of tinfoil going through the roof!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

70. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 2, 2014, 20:26 Kristian Joensen

Arx Fatalis on GOG

69. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 2, 2014, 20:20 Mad Max RW

68. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 2, 2014, 19:55 Kristian Joensen

67. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 2, 2014, 19:52 nin

Kristian Joensen wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 19:48:
nin wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 19:45:
Kristian Joensen wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 19:43:
nin wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 19:39:
Obviously. The fact that you took all that away from a single quote is scary.

Years and years of experience of reading PR statements and seeing subsequent actions will do that to you, nothing scary about it. On the the other hand thinking PR people ever speak in anything even remotely reminiscent of a straightforward manner is naive in the extreme.

Honestly, when you got to comparing them to the NSA, I was laughing.

What is it with all the crazy around here lately?

I am only comparing them in the PR department. Both parties word statements extremely carefully. Nothing crazy about that.

Your twitter tantrum was also humorous. Thank you!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo