Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New Year's Eve Consolidation

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Tomb Raider producer defends $60 Definitive Edition Jan 2, 2014, 10:48 Redmask

Krovven wrote on Dec 31, 2013, 22:19:
I don't really understand everyones obsession with having consoles be backwards compatible. There have been very very few consoles that have featured backwards compatibility, and all it does it increase production and support costs.

It's a very simple concept to grasp if you actually try. Consoles have very limited libraries in their first few years and people like to supplement that with older games. Many people do not have room in their entertainment units to keep older consoles around or have them break. I think most PC users here understand the benefits of having access to your older library. Emulation only takes you so far on older consoles and its getting trickier as time goes on.

It can also be hugely beneficial to companies who do it. Nintendo has continued selling DS software regularly while the 3DS was gearing up. Instead of cannibalizing the 3DS it basically propped it up for quite a long time.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: New Year's Eve Consolidation Jan 1, 2014, 03:33 PropheT

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 1, 2014, 01:13:
Tomb Raider Definitive Edition is probably just the PC version, but with that "new and improved" Lara face texture.

It's a completely new model. There's screenshots floating around somewhere, but it does actually look fairly different. It looked like they fixed some of the wonkiness that TressFX had on PC, too, but that's always hard to tell without seeing any extended gameplay videos. It looks good, anyway.

Fletch wrote on Dec 31, 2013, 18:52:
Oh well, console players choose their respective gatekeepers when they choose a platform.

And as often as not anymore PC gamers choose one when they buy games, too. I'd personally rather deal with Steam than either MS or Sony's stores, but there's still similar sacrifices being made when you tie your game purchases to the service.

19. Re: New Year's Eve Consolidation Jan 1, 2014, 01:13 jacobvandy

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition is probably just the PC version, but with that "new and improved" Lara face texture.  

18. Re: New Year's Eve Consolidation Jan 1, 2014, 00:12 Creston

Jivaro wrote on Dec 31, 2013, 19:49:
I was just saying that compared to most of the crap they have been willing to give out, Sleeping Dogs and TR:GoL are an improvement.

Oh, absolutely. I think it was like three months ago when they were giving away friggin' Halo 2? I suspected the next thing they'd give away would have been Pitfall.

So it's a step up. But it's a single step up a really, really, really long staircase, while Sony is standing at the top, throwing down boulders like Bioshock Infinite.

17. Re: Tomb Raider producer defends $60 Definitive Edition Dec 31, 2013, 22:19 Krovven

killer_roach wrote on Dec 31, 2013, 21:33:
Would it have been that hard to slap an emulator chip onto the mainboard that kicks in whenever a PS3 game is inserted?

Yes, actually. By moving from Cell to AMD Jaguar, Sony is dealing with a slower CPU now with the PS4 (from the perspective of floating point - the PS4 is faster in integer calculations). They'd effectively have to put the PS3's CPU (and likely GPU) onto the PS4 mainboard, which would be a considerable cost increase in terms of manufacturing as well as drawing more power and making it that much more difficult to dissipate heat. Even in the case of Microsoft's consoles, where it's a bit more straightforward, eight x86 cores at 1.75GHz simply aren't going to have the grunt to emulate three physical PPC cores (six virtual) at 3.2GHz.

I don't really understand everyones obsession with having consoles be backwards compatible. There have been very very few consoles that have featured backwards compatibility, and all it does it increase production and support costs.

16. Re: Tomb Raider producer defends $60 Definitive Edition Dec 31, 2013, 22:16 Krovven

saluk wrote on Dec 31, 2013, 21:19:
^lol

And I don't see how improved graphics is an incentive for people to spend another $60 on a game they've already played on PS3, but I guess it does allow new console owners to somewhat rationalize buying the thing. I wish developer mouthpieces would quit including it in their bullet points, though. It's the gameplay, stupid.

My theory is that this is just an excuse to recoup some of the costs on a game that sold *dismally*. I do find it funny how they keep talking this re-release up like it's actually been updated at all, and yet never mention any gameplay enhancements. I'm curious how many actual man-hours went into this port, beyond the typical porting process. My theory - none.

So porting to a new console has zero man hours? /boggle I'm not defending their price, but you contradict yourself. This is standard fare and nothing new. Re-release a game on a new console and jack the price to get early adopters. I'm surprised they have even bothered to up the graphics.

And Tomb Raider didn't sell "dismally". Some idiot at SquareEnix had forecasted the game would sell 6 million copies in it's first month, when no other Tomb Raider game had sold anywhere close to that. 3.4 Million in the first month is an amazing number for this and the majority of games. In-fact this Tomb Raider game has been the fastest and best selling Tomb Raider game in the entire series.

15. Re: Tomb Raider producer defends $60 Definitive Edition Dec 31, 2013, 21:33 killer_roach

Would it have been that hard to slap an emulator chip onto the mainboard that kicks in whenever a PS3 game is inserted?

Yes, actually. By moving from Cell to AMD Jaguar, Sony is dealing with a slower CPU now with the PS4 (from the perspective of floating point - the PS4 is faster in integer calculations). They'd effectively have to put the PS3's CPU (and likely GPU) onto the PS4 mainboard, which would be a considerable cost increase in terms of manufacturing as well as drawing more power and making it that much more difficult to dissipate heat. Even in the case of Microsoft's consoles, where it's a bit more straightforward, eight x86 cores at 1.75GHz simply aren't going to have the grunt to emulate three physical PPC cores (six virtual) at 3.2GHz.

14. Re: Tomb Raider producer defends $60 Definitive Edition Dec 31, 2013, 21:19 saluk

^lol

And I don't see how improved graphics is an incentive for people to spend another $60 on a game they've already played on PS3, but I guess it does allow new console owners to somewhat rationalize buying the thing. I wish developer mouthpieces would quit including it in their bullet points, though. It's the gameplay, stupid.

My theory is that this is just an excuse to recoup some of the costs on a game that sold *dismally*. I do find it funny how they keep talking this re-release up like it's actually been updated at all, and yet never mention any gameplay enhancements. I'm curious how many actual man-hours went into this port, beyond the typical porting process. My theory - none.

13. Re: New Year's Eve Consolidation Dec 31, 2013, 19:49 Jivaro

Just wanted to come back and say, to be clear, that I wasn't insinuating in any way that Live is giving better games than PSN.....or even as good of games. I was just saying that compared to most of the crap they have been willing to give out, Sleeping Dogs and TR:GoL are an improvement. If they were to keep improving, that would be a good thing. I completely agree that the offerings from PSN have been off the hook. Particularly the last year or so.

For my console usage, which is mainly single player, PSN has been an extraordinary deal. Particularly as a Vita and PS3 owner. If I was a huge fan of multiplayer I am not sure that my opinion would be the same. Seems like most Live fans point to that aspect of the network as it's strong suit. Not being an owner of a 360, I couldn't say if that is true or not. I do find it interesting however that games that you get for free on Live are yours even if you stop paying for Live. That does explain a bit of the difference in game offerings, even if Live is a bit more expensive in the first place.

12. Re: Tomb Raider producer defends $60 Definitive Edition Dec 31, 2013, 18:52 Fletch

^lol

Awesome. There's nothing like being locked to a single corporate entity whose shiny new game system isn't backward-compatible with games you already own lease. And I don't see how improved graphics is an incentive for people to spend another $60 on a game they've already played on PS3, but I guess it does allow new console owners to somewhat rationalize buying the thing. I wish developer mouthpieces would quit including it in their bullet points, though. It's the gameplay, stupid.

Good news for PS4 owners however, in that a streaming service for the PS4 is in the works that will allow you to play PS3 games, but, again, you'll be at the mercy of Sony and their cloud, as well as lag and possible server performance/down-time, and it will only cost you a modest monthly fee for the privilege. Lessee... backward-compatible, or a new proprietary system architecture that is not? Where is the revenue stream here?

Would it have been that hard to slap an emulator chip onto the mainboard that kicks in whenever a PS3 game is inserted? Oh well, console players choose their respective gatekeepers when they choose a platform.

Ok, off to install Wizardy8 again... still a blast twelve years after release.

11. Re: New Year's Eve Consolidation Dec 31, 2013, 18:47 Creston

PropheT wrote on Dec 31, 2013, 18:11:
but reading around a little it doesn't seem like most Xbox fans seem to care very much... and I'm not sure why.

Stockholm Syndrome.

10. Re: New Year's Eve Consolidation Dec 31, 2013, 18:11 PropheT

Creston wrote on Dec 31, 2013, 12:02:
Winner: Sony.

I'd say so. Borderlands 2 for free with PS+, then Bioshock Infinite, and their competitor puts up two games that were free on PS+ about a year ago or so.

It seems like MS needs to step up their game a little bit to me, but reading around a little it doesn't seem like most Xbox fans seem to care very much... and I'm not sure why.

9. Re: New Year's Eve Consolidation Dec 31, 2013, 15:16 LarryLaffer

Xbox games do not become unplayable if you let your live subscription end. But like others have said, why would either a PS gamer or Xbox gamer let their subscriptions lapse? Both services are awesome in their own regards.

--Laffman

8. Re: New Year's Eve Consolidation Dec 31, 2013, 14:52 Krovven

If you find something like that, please post it. In their official FAQ it states...

Q: What happens to the games and DLC I downloaded free through a PS Plus membership, and I decide to not renew my membership?
A: You will not be able to access free games downloaded with Plus if you choose not to renew your membership. However, if you decide to re-activate your membership, you will once again be able to play all games downloaded from the Instant Game Collection.

Playstation Plus FAQ

To add: Sleeping Dogs has already been free to PS+ members at the beginning of 2013(unfortunately I missed it) and Guardians may have been, but it definitely was for Euro PS+ folks earlier this year.

7. Re: New Year's Eve Consolidation Dec 31, 2013, 13:51 xXBatmanXx

oh maybe it is - Ill load up my cards I have and see if it changes...thx  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

6. Re: New Year's Eve Consolidation Dec 31, 2013, 12:52 nin

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 31, 2013, 12:30:
Beamer wrote on Dec 31, 2013, 12:20:
Jivaro wrote on Dec 31, 2013, 11:51:
I have long laughed at the "free" content XBOX Live offers compared to PSN but Watch Dogs and Guardian of Light are both really fun games. Good to see MS step it up a bit and I hope they continue to improve the offerings.

They're a big improvement, but Creston is right, it pales compared to PSN+.

Do you keep these games so long as you're a member, or only for the month? For both systems.

You only get them if you hit "purchase" on either platform, then it is tied to your account as long as you are a premium member on either service.

My concerns is that some of the items only appear to last 1 year? I forget where I saw the dates, but once you get into the details, for some reason things appear to expire at the end of 2014?

I thought that date was generated based on when your + membership ended (IE if you're up next Nov, it should show your games ending as well), but I could be wrong...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

5. Re: New Year's Eve Consolidation Dec 31, 2013, 12:30 xXBatmanXx

Beamer wrote on Dec 31, 2013, 12:20:
I have long laughed at the "free" content XBOX Live offers compared to PSN but Watch Dogs and Guardian of Light are both really fun games. Good to see MS step it up a bit and I hope they continue to improve the offerings.

Do you keep these games so long as you're a member, or only for the month? For both systems.

You only get them if you hit "purchase" on either platform, then it is tied to your account as long as you are a premium member on either service.

My concerns is that some of the items only appear to last 1 year? I forget where I saw the dates, but once you get into the details, for some reason things appear to expire at the end of 2014?

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

4. Re: New Year's Eve Consolidation Dec 31, 2013, 12:20 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

3. Re: New Year's Eve Consolidation Dec 31, 2013, 12:20 nin

I was all like "ew! MS is going to counter the PS4 version of Tomb Raider being $60 by giving it away for free on Live." Then I saw it was Guardian of Light and laughed.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: New Year's Eve Consolidation Dec 31, 2013, 12:02 Creston

Xbox live members get Watch Dogs? Holy crap!

Anyway, sure, sleeping dogs and Guardian of Light are good games, but again, Guardian of Light is like three years old. MS only gives away those games it knows absolutely will not sell another penny.

PS+ members get Bioshock Infinite next month.

Winner: Sony.

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo