Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. My (1/Fir)st Computer! Jan 1, 2014, 22:23 Ant

Mine was a Texas Instrument (TI) 99/4A. I hated it at first until I discovered its games. Atari 2600 was my <3 before it. Haha.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: nostalgia loop Dec 31, 2013, 12:47 Creston

harlock wrote on Dec 31, 2013, 01:46:
10 REMINISCE
20 GOTO 10
RUN

Nooooo! Waaaaiii...

YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD YOU BASTARD

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 31, 2013, 12:46 Creston

NamecaF wrote on Dec 30, 2013, 22:34:
Mine was a Commodore 64. When it took half an hour to load a game from tape

Until you used Fast Turbo ( ->L )!!!

I guess the C64 was really my first computer. Tape deck and all. When the floppy drive came out for it, we bought it for 800 dollars. EIGHT HUNDRED FUCKING DOLLARS!

Our first PC was an 8088XT with 640K ram, CGA graphics and a green monochrome monitor.

The first PC I put together purely to play games on was a 386DX40 with 2MB of RAM and a 57MB harddisk. Then, when Wing Commander 2 came out and ate like 40MB of that harddisk, my dad and I splurged and traded in the 57MB HD for a 137MB one, and I vividly remember us both saying "Man, we'll never fill that!"

Heh.

Then I upgraded the motherboard to a 486DX2-66 and 4MB of RAM for WC3, only to find it still ran like shit, and thus started the first of around 297 graphics cards upgrades in around 20 years... (Matrox Millenium, baby!)

16. Re: nostalgia loop Dec 31, 2013, 08:11 The Half Elf

ti994a WITH cassette drive! Thank god my dad was just a big technophile that I am (which is nice cause I can blame genetics).  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

15. nostalgia loop Dec 31, 2013, 01:46 harlock

10 REMINISCE
20 GOTO 10
RUN

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 31, 2013, 01:00 Jivaro

TI-99/4A was my first, back in 1982 I believe. Learned BASIC on that machine. I was 8 when they bought that thing. My parents wanted my sister and I to be computer literate at a young age. The following summer I attended classes for kids to learn "advanced" programming on TRS-80s. It proved useful over the years but I was bored out of my mind at the time. Programming never really excited me.

Burned me out having them shoved down my throat at a young age to be honest. I was much more into the console gaming than the home computer gaming as a kid. I owned a computer every year of school but I didn't buy my own for home until the Pentium 75mhz was available. That was when I made the switch to PC gaming. It was an IBM machine that was made for the living room. (or so it was advertised) Black, sat flat, had a remote control...didn't really work for shit as anything other than a desktop computer but it looked nice. It had input/output hookups for the audio and video to be meshed with things like your home stereo or VCR, but I was only ever able to use the audio stuff. Can't remember why the video portion was lame. Might have been the prehistoric TV my first wife and I owned at the time. That was the last time I bought a pre-built PC as well.

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 31, 2013, 00:29 Quboid

Oh man, the Cyrix. That taught me a couple of good lessons; that the value of a single hertz differs between chips, and that if something seems too good to be true, it's probably bullshit. I got a Cyrix 166Mhz (I think) which cost a good bit less than the Pentium 133Mhz I had intended to get so I was delighted ... until I actually tried testing it and it got outperformed by a Pentium 80Mhz.

Unreal was amazing looking, in particular I was always very impressed by its software renderer. Naturally it was a step down from its own Glide/OpenGL hardware renderer but I think it looked better than most 3D accelerated titles did at the time, while needing nothing more than a decent 2D card and a high end CPU.

- Quboid

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 31, 2013, 00:17 eRe4s3r

nin wrote on Dec 30, 2013, 11:26:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 30, 2013, 11:11:
Intel 80386 DX 16 MHZ

DOS

.... more I can't remember ;p The HDD was extremely expensive 20MB or something and RAM.. was it 2 or 4MB ?

Yours was nice! I had one that ran at either 8 or 12 mhz, same 20 meg drive, but a pidley 640k of ram...

I remember the shock when the system requirements for Wing Command 2 came out, and I was SOL. I felt so betrayed!

For me the game that did that was Strike Commander ^^ And yeah, originally I had 640k RAM as well, what a hassle that was.

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 31, 2013, 00:06 Genesys

What I do have nostalgia about is the BNC network cables with these very solid metal rotation locks, and T pieces to link 3 PC's together, and those awesome end-caps, back then networking had real beefy feeling to it, not the wimpy feeling you get from CAT5e or CAT6 cables nowadays. My first LAN was with that (on a 468 DX2 66) we played the original descent. It was mindblowing. Later on HL DM. Crossfire (map with the bunker and the "button" ) and much later on BF1942 Coop vs AI

Oh God, no. You haven't suffered until you've had to trace the fault in a 20-computer BNC loop, having to tell each person in every office why the network is down and why you need to get at the jack behind their desk. I think a we eventually ended up getting a cable tester that would tell us how many feet away the signal stopped, but I was ecstatic when we moved to 10BaseT Ethernet.

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 30, 2013, 22:34 NamecaF

Mine was a Commodore 64. When it took half an hour to load a game from tape  

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 30, 2013, 16:51 Clever Caviar

Acorn Electron, bought from a schoolfriend at the time.

After that, Atari ST (with copious amounts of time spent in Pro12, Pro24, and then Cubase v1), then PCs, with sideways moves to Macs, Linux, BeOS at various points.

Funny thing, I remember my father viewing me as crazy for buying an 8GB PC hard drive as opposed to 6GB, and (his words) "what are you going to do with all that space?"

::
Rockstar made $1 billion in 3 days with GTAV, yet they can't find the budget to port RDR to PC.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 30, 2013, 16:45 Pigeon

I don't remember the first one we had but it may have been some kind of 286 clone my mom brought home from work. I remember playing Beast and Castle Adventure in DOS and occasionally using Word Perfect, and its blue screen, for doing homework. Little did I know the mediocre computer skills I learned back then would make other people think I was a genius for years to come .  

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 30, 2013, 16:29 SirKnight

Mine was a TRS-80. But I never did much with it since I was a little kid only able to crawl and barely walk. But I was extremely fascinated by it.

Then I had 4 MHz 8086/8088 (I can't remember exactly). I know it was called an XT and made by commodore. Basically it was the IBM compatible PC right before the 286. It ran DOS, had a turbo mode which kicked it up to 7 MHz (which actually made a huge difference back then) and later a math co-processor was installed which was like OMG! It also had a CGA graphics adapter hooked up to a monochrome GREEN CRT.

From there a 386, I think 33 MHz, with 4MB ram, 40 MB hard-drive (which Doom 2 took half of). Then it was on to a Cyrix Pentium-wannabe then real Pentiums and so on.

And when the first Unreal came out. For the first time in my life I saw graphics worthy to be called that. Unreal had reflections for fucks sake. REFLECTIONS, many many modern games nowadays still do NOT have reflections. It also ran like crap* until I got a Voodoo card

I had the same reaction. I had a Voodoo Rush card which was not supported so I had to run in software, but even then my reaction really was "OMG this game looks unreal! They named this game perfectly!"

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 30, 2013, 16:24 Burrito of Peace

The first computer I remember us having was actually a mainframe. A Microdata M1600 with 4K of memory. Dad had installed either Wyse or Wang terminals (I can't remember which) in my room, his office, my parents bedroom and the garage and we all real-time shared the capabilities of the machine. We had this massive line printer that sounded like a German Flak-88 going off every time you printed something.

My very first "personal" computer was an Atari 800XL with 64 whole KB of RAM! That was a really big deal in 1983. I had all the accessories for it, double sided 5.25" disk drive, joystick, voice synthesizer, color monitor and printer. I followed that up with an Atari ST 512 and then a 1024 which kicked the ass of any 8088 or 8086 computer of the day.

Man, I miss when machines were designed to be awesome instead of just cheap.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 30, 2013, 15:07 harlock

my first computer was a IBM PC AT with 6mhz cpu and 1024kb of RAM .. rocked the EGA graphics on that bitch

i remember getting a logitech mouse for that a few years later.. it was like "whoaaa the future is here"

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 30, 2013, 13:19 Quboid

BBC Micro 2, I think. I think it was the 2nd 32KB edition.

My first PC (as in, x86/etc), hmm. I'd used my brother's 486 SX 16Mhz 4MB when I was introduced to gaming (Lotus Cars, Jetfighter, Doom) for a bit but I think the first I actually owned was a 486 DX 100Mhz 8MB. That was crippled by the RAM, when I'd delivered enough newspapers (in the snow, uphill both ways of course) and got 32MB my Quake framerate went into *double* figures.

Come to think of it, when I first got it I couldn't afford a keyboard or monitor. I borrowed one to get it set up (my brother installed Linux for me) and then used a telnet client he wrote in BBC assembly to log in to it from my BBC Micro over a serial connection. I could connect and read fortunes or hunt text based Wumpuses. Wumpuii?

Awesome. Kids today don't know what they're missing.

I got a Raspberry Pi from Santa (actually from the same brother), the first thing I did was install fortune

- Quboid

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 30, 2013, 12:10 jimnms

My first computer was a TRS-80 CoCo II. I got into consoles until I inherited a 386 DX 25MHz with an 80MB drive and 4MB of RAM. When it was new it was a beast.  

Steam Profile

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 30, 2013, 11:26 nin

Intel 80386 DX 16 MHZ

DOS

.... more I can't remember ;p The HDD was extremely expensive 20MB or something and RAM.. was it 2 or 4MB ?

Yours was nice! I had one that ran at either 8 or 12 mhz, same 20 meg drive, but a pidley 640k of ram...

I remember the shock when the system requirements for Wing Command 2 came out, and I was SOL. I felt so betrayed!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 30, 2013, 11:11 eRe4s3r

Intel 80386 DX 16 MHZ

DOS

Either way, I much prefer my current rig I have no nostalgia for old computers.

What I do have nostalgia about is the BNC network cables with these very solid metal rotation locks, and T pieces to link 3 PC's together, and those awesome end-caps, back then networking had real beefy feeling to it, not the wimpy feeling you get from CAT5e or CAT6 cables nowadays. My first LAN was with that (on a 468 DX2 66) we played the original descent. It was mindblowing. Later on HL DM. Crossfire (map with the bunker and the "button" ) and much later on BF1942 Coop vs AI

And when the first Unreal came out. For the first time in my life I saw graphics worthy to be called that. Unreal had reflections for fucks sake. REFLECTIONS, many many modern games nowadays still do NOT have reflections. It also ran like crap* until I got a Voodoo card

Ah... I have nostalgia for games, but not for technology. Mhh

Aside that I remember something when my school buddy called me over to install a game. He was stumped what the manual meant by typing A: and setup.

And he should have been, because his computer didn't have a floppy drive. I was facepalming on the way back. Yes, he bought a game on floppies and had a pc without a floppy drive. Good ol times...

This comment was edited on Dec 30, 2013, 11:21.

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo