Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Hello Games Flood Follow-up

A tweet from Hello Games reveals their surprise at learning that flood insurance is often required to protect against the kind of natural disaster they recently experienced (thanks Kotaku). They say: "BAD NEWS! Had a 'hilarious' call with insurer yesterday. Small print is if you are in a flood risk zone, you are not insured for flooding :(" It sounds like they are still going to rebound, as they later put on a brave face about this and reflect on things lost and gained as they work towards getting things back together.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Hello Games Flood Follow-up Dec 30, 2013, 20:38 Hump

"mobile game"? seems you know nothing then. Go look at the amazing game they are working on FOR PC AND NEXT GEN platforms.

You are the cancer that is killi.....ah, never mind

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Hello Games Flood Follow-up Dec 30, 2013, 14:58 harlock

Prez wrote on Dec 30, 2013, 07:05:
I for one care about the studio. I'm assuming they had back-ups - it would be crazy not to this day and age - but it still has to suck to lose all their hardware like that. As for living in "flood zone" if you live in a flood zone then the insurance company should not even be allowed to make flood insurance optional - charge more and cover everybody. At least that what they would do if they weren't interested in collecting your money when everything is fine but then looking for any out they can when crisis strikes.

Im not sure insurance companies are really interested in actually looking out for everyones best interests

31. Re: Hello Games Flood Follow-up Dec 30, 2013, 07:05 Prez

I for one care about the studio. I'm assuming they had back-ups - it would be crazy not to this day and age - but it still has to suck to lose all their hardware like that. As for living in "flood zone" if you live in a flood zone then the insurance company should not even be allowed to make flood insurance optional - charge more and cover everybody. At least that what they would do if they weren't interested in collecting your money when everything is fine but then looking for any out they can when crisis strikes.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

30. Re: Hello Games Flood Follow-up Dec 30, 2013, 05:49 mag

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 23:53:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 20:44:
I'm sorry you're devoid of the understanding of sarcasm.

Or maybe, just maybe, it's your fault for posting something stupid and then acting like a bratty little child when called on it. Grow up.

You're both pretty, there's no need to fight.

29. Re: Hello Games Flood Follow-up Dec 29, 2013, 23:53 Parallax Abstraction

Or maybe, just maybe, it's your fault for posting something stupid and then acting like a bratty little child when called on it. Grow up.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

28. Re: Hello Games Flood Follow-up Dec 29, 2013, 23:15 jdreyer

It probably made the news because their No Man's Sky announcement generated quite a bit of buzz on this site.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

27. Re: Hello Games Flood Follow-up Dec 29, 2013, 22:06 Redmask

Do you think your sarcasm was somehow difficult to comprehend? That is pretty funny. Blue posts a variety of news about companies big and small every day. Maybe in the future he should run things by you to make sure that they're worthy of attention. No one is making you click on the stories once, let alone twice.

It doesn't. I think it's just a sad commentary about you that you can't discuss things without resorting to ad hominem attacks.

You weren't exactly leading the discussion in any significant direction there Socrates.

This comment was edited on Dec 29, 2013, 22:11.

26. Re: Hello Games Flood Follow-up Dec 29, 2013, 20:44 Burrito of Peace

25. Re: Hello Games Flood Follow-up Dec 29, 2013, 20:10 nin

Well, at least I don't post things like this:

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 17:36:
I can't wait for the next riveting update on these people. Boy howdy, I don't know how I went about my day before without knowing what some random, hitherto unknown company was doing after a flood. Why, we should just have every single fucking tweet they put out up on the front page, right up on top, above every other news story. Clearly they're so incredibly fucking fascinating that we should all follow their every utterance. Maybe we can find out who goes to take a shit and when.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

24. Re: Hello Games Flood Follow-up Dec 29, 2013, 20:05 Burrito of Peace

nin wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 18:47:
I'm sorry it hurts your feelings when you're an asshat and get called on it. Maybe next time you'll think things through before making a post like that.

It doesn't. I think it's just a sad commentary about you that you can't discuss things without resorting to ad hominem attacks.

23. Re: Hello Games Flood Follow-up Dec 29, 2013, 18:47 nin

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 18:42:
Yet you keep throwing around the word "asshat" when no one has personally insulted you. So, yes, chill out.

I'm sorry it hurts your feelings when you're an asshat and get called on it. Maybe next time you'll think things through before making a post like that.

Are they, too, worthy of near daily updates?

If Blue feels that way, then yes. It's his site and he runs whatever he wants.

22. Re: Hello Games Flood Follow-up Dec 29, 2013, 18:42 Burrito of Peace

Yet you keep throwing around the word "asshat" when no one has personally insulted you. So, yes, chill out.

They are very much an unknown, random company. Doing a mobile game that you port to a couple of platforms, while rehashing it at least twice, does not make you in any way someone that news outlets need to report on frequently. There are literally thousands of "developers" who do this on the Android and iOS platform every day. Are they, too, worthy of near daily updates?

21. Re: Hello Games Flood Follow-up Dec 29, 2013, 18:33 nin

Chill out?

You're the one who said:
Clearly they're so incredibly fucking fascinating that we should all follow their every utterance. Maybe we can find out who goes to take a shit and when.

You're the one being an asshat here, not me.

edit: And they're not "a random, unknown company" they've published a series of games on a number of platforms.

Christ dude, do a little research before you start throwing poop around.

20. Re: Hello Games Flood Follow-up Dec 29, 2013, 18:33 jacobvandy

I'd have to agree, it's a lot of hot air behind them at the moment, provided by getting their teaser aired on cable TV during video gaming's only award show (so it's followed and reported on by everyone).  

19. Re: Hello Games Flood Follow-up Dec 29, 2013, 18:28 Burrito of Peace

nin wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 17:59:
But by all means, keep being an asshat...

Chill out, nin.

I know what they're making, and until they release NMS and it becomes an absolute hit, they're nothing more than a random, unknown company that showed off a promising video. Like the hundreds, if not thousands, of burned out husks of game companies that came before them.

Regardless of their as yet unreleased, unreviewed, pie in the sky product, the near daily updates that are the HTML version of retweets is, in my opinion, creepy and excessive.

18. Re: Hello Games Flood Follow-up Dec 29, 2013, 17:59 nin

I can't wait for the next riveting update on these people. Boy howdy, I don't know how I went about my day before without knowing what some random, hitherto unknown company was doing after a flood.

If you were paying attention, you'd know they were making this.

But by all means, keep being an asshat...

17. Re: Hello Games Flood Follow-up Dec 29, 2013, 17:59 eRe4s3r

Yosemite Sam wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 14:52:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 13:09:
ASeven wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 12:32:
Wolfox wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 11:57:
ASeven wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 11:37:
Terrible bad fortune for them, hopefully they rebound well. I bet we'll see a kickstarter for No Man's Land soon enough.

Was that an intentional pun on the game's title (which is "No Man's Sky"), or just a mistake?

Damn, it was an honest mistake. Didn't notice it until you pointed it out for me.

Given that flood zones historically were no man's land, and only recently people have taken to living there, I find your mistake to be a fascinating observation.

I hope these guys get back on track soon. No Man's Sky was looking pretty cool.

Nice try, totally wrong though. People have been living in flood zones since, forever.

If you want to be smart like that, at least get it right. They farmed flood zones, they didn't live *in* them but rather nearby and those houses had stilts and no entries on ground level. Egypt even had rules against it as having your peasants flood away is meh, but wasting farm land just because stupid peasants didn't want to walk 5 minutes is worse.

But maybe you could rephrase it to "Stupid people have been living in flood zones since forever"

This comment was edited on Dec 29, 2013, 18:04.

16. Re: Hello Games Flood Follow-up Dec 29, 2013, 17:36 Burrito of Peace

I can't wait for the next riveting update on these people. Boy howdy, I don't know how I went about my day before without knowing what some random, hitherto unknown company was doing after a flood. Why, we should just have every single fucking tweet they put out up on the front page, right up on top, above every other news story. Clearly they're so incredibly fucking fascinating that we should all follow their every utterance. Maybe we can find out who goes to take a shit and when.  

15. Re: Hello Games Flood Follow-up Dec 29, 2013, 17:30 harlock

.@hellogames I bought us some flood donuts. Sugary comfort to soften the blow x pic.twitter.com/LKLO6JdB7r

at least there's donuts

also - any software dev company requires offsite backup, end of story...

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 29, 2013, 17:15 Rigs

Well, seeing how a tornado can pretty much form anywhere on the damn planet, I'd think that would be a little stupid...Now, if we're talking about areas that are more prone to this activity, then that's a little different...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo