Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's list of the 10 bestselling games on Steam for last week:

1. DayZ
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Legendary Edition
  3. Starbound
  4. Rust
  5. PAYDAY 2
  6. Borderlands 2 Game of the Year Edition
  7. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  8. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  9. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
  10. Anno 2070: Complete Edition

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 31, 2013, 08:33 Redmask

It's fine mag, no one expects you to memorize every event from the gaming industry or google every single thought you might post, that's just inane bullshit. You weren't even really wrong, just didn't know the updated details.

it's because of people like you that everyone gets to enjoy looser activation restrictions now, you have nothing to apologize for in my opinion.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 30, 2013, 18:34 mag

Krovven wrote on Dec 30, 2013, 00:43:
mag wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 21:07:
You're still limited to 3 activations through securom, which includes installing a new hard drive, motherboard, ram, or cpu, and you still have to go through Uplay, which has been down 50% of the time I've ever gone to play an Ubisoft game.

Stop posting bullshit you clearly haven't taken even a few seconds to check on. I know, Google search is hard for some people. IT WAS CHANGED 2 YEARS AGO! Nevermind that I posted this exact thing a couple days ago in one of the Sale threads.

etc. etc. etc.

Yes, yes. I remember when they changed it. I looked it up again before you posted it the first time. I did misremember about the ram, so sorry there.

You are still limited to three activations after your first one. They say you'll refresh one a month, and while this probably is not fair of me, that is something I absolutely don't trust Ubisoft to actually do correctly.

But yeah, it is a bit of spite. My real issue isn't even the tiny number of activations. It's that it has to activate at all. I've resigned myself to Steam as a fact of life for most games, but I try not to support multiple failure vectors on top of that. If any one of Steam, Uplay, or whatever server they use for Securom activation goes away, the game goes away. Steam will probably be around for a long while, but Uplay won't. The activation server will probably go away even sooner than that, if it's not folded into Uplay itself (not sure how they do it).

It's a principled stand on something that doesn't really matter (what are the chances I would want to specifically play Anno 2070 in five years? Probably small), but they are 100% useless extra restrictions that I don't want to spread. So I'll spend my money elsewhere and tell others to, too.

31. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 30, 2013, 16:06 Jerykk

FYI, concurrent users only represent the minimum number of copies sold. The total number is always significantly higher. For example, Stanley Parable sold over 100k units in a matter of days but its highest concurrent player count is 4,818. Similarly, DayZ sold over 172k units within a day but its peak concurrent player count is 45,398. Multiplayer games will always have more concurrent players than short single-player games but even then, those numbers aren't representative of total sales.  

30. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 30, 2013, 06:24 jacobvandy

Dirwulf wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 21:11:
Creston wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 20:26:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 15:22:
Yeah, I'm not sure what to make of those stats. 20m in sales overall feels right, as does $1.2 in total revenue, but only 1.5m in sales on the PC doesn't, given that it has been among the top Steam titles consistently for two years on a weekly basis. That would suggest Steam is doing a lot less business than I thought it was.

Unless those 1.5 million PC players are all doing nothing except downloading every single mod ever made from the nexus, there have to be a LOT more people to be affecting the nexus sites so much. Skyrim has basically forced them to invest $300K (and counting) into new hardware because the Skyrim site alone is murdering their entire infrastructure.

Also, for Steam to make 1.5 billion dollars in revenue and for Skyrim to be in the top 10 consistently for nearly two years, means a lot more people likely bought it than 90 million dollars' worth.

All in all, I'm going to say that the linked site pulled those numbers completely out of their ass in a desperate attempt to not have to admit that Skyrim on the PC outsold the console versions by a wide margin.

At the top of the article it states the source.

Statistic Verification
Source: Bethesda Game Studios, Steam, Zenimax
Research Date: 12.19.2013

Those aren't sources. Try to list the names of a couple authors and a newspaper as sources in a high school research paper and you'll get an F. But regardless, I bet all they did was find a few total sales figures from press releases and extrapolated to this month, and then got the concurrent users number from Steam (probably the only number on there that's real). Everything else was completely made up, especially the revenue and platform breakdown.

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 30, 2013, 00:43 Krovven

You're still limited to 3 activations through securom, which includes installing a new hard drive, motherboard, ram, or cpu, and you still have to go through Uplay, which has been down 50% of the time I've ever gone to play an Ubisoft game.

Stop posting bullshit you clearly haven't taken even a few seconds to check on. I know, Google search is hard for some people. IT WAS CHANGED 2 YEARS AGO! Nevermind that I posted this exact thing a couple days ago in one of the Sale threads.

It is still there, but it was significantly changed way back in January 2012.

ubisoft-bluebyte-changes-anno-2070-drm

Post on Steam forums with activation details

You start off with three activations, in addition to the one you use up one in your initial installation. So technically an uninstalled copy of Anno has 4 activations.
Unlimited OS reinstalls
Unlimited GFX changes/installs
Unlimited RAM changes/installs
Upgrading a system
As you usually replace the CPU and an accompanying new architecture mobo, and maybe throw in a new SSD, all of this counts as one activation used up. The new GFX card and RAM is ignored.
Once you reach 0 activations, in 30 days you automatically get 1 more, each month until you reach 4 again.

Basically, you will never use up your activations unless you go out of your way to do it. It is redundant with it being on Steam, so if you really want to boycott an excellent game based on pure spite, ok. But stop spreading false info.

I was against limited activations, still am, but only when they are exceedingly restrictive. I've bought a handful of games with activations and I have never used them up on any game through normal use. FarCry 2, Anno 2070, I think one or several of the STALKER games...didn't Batman Arkham Asylum have activations? See I can't even recall which games they were because the activation limitations were insignificant.

This comment was edited on Dec 30, 2013, 00:49.

28. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 30, 2013, 00:22 Jerykk

Yeah, I'm not sure what to make of those stats. 20m in sales overall feels right, as does $1.2 in total revenue, but only 1.5m in sales on the PC doesn't, given that it has been among the top Steam titles consistently for two years on a weekly basis. That would suggest Steam is doing a lot less business than I thought it was.

Unless those 1.5 million PC players are all doing nothing except downloading every single mod ever made from the nexus, there have to be a LOT more people to be affecting the nexus sites so much. Skyrim has basically forced them to invest $300K (and counting) into new hardware because the Skyrim site alone is murdering their entire infrastructure.

Also, for Steam to make 1.5 billion dollars in revenue and for Skyrim to be in the top 10 consistently for nearly two years, means a lot more people likely bought it than 90 million dollars' worth.

All in all, I'm going to say that the linked site pulled those numbers completely out of their ass in a desperate attempt to not have to admit that Skyrim on the PC outsold the console versions by a wide margin.

Statistic Verification

Pretty sure that's a load of crap. Valve and publishers generally don't hand out sales figures to random websites. When they "source," they actually mean "we got a few pieces of publicly accessible information and then extrapolated estimates based on numerous half-baked assumptions." VGChartz does that, which is why their numbers are bullshit. What's even more ridiculous is that they give specific numbers per platform AND region, as if they would ever have access to that amount of data.

So again, unless a site cites a specific source (and provides a link to said source), it's not worth even a grain of salt.

27. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 29, 2013, 23:28 PropheT

LittleMe wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 22:17:

Statistic Verification

I don't believe them.

I wouldn't either. Valve doesn't release sales numbers, so they're probably basing it off of concurrent connections and as far as I know they didn't even hit their peak until a month or more after the game released. Combine that with it being the fastest selling Steam title ever in the month that it did release and that is hasn't really left the best seller list since then there's no way it's only 1.5 million.

26. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 29, 2013, 23:10 Redmask

Statistic Verification

I'm not really invested in the outcome one way or the other but I doubt Steam would have given them any figures and it's listed as a source.

I think it's well established that the consoles outsell PCs anyway, I don't really care if they do it at 10 to 1 or 2 to 1 so long as the PC remains a viable platform.

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 29, 2013, 22:17 LittleMe

Statistic Verification

I don't believe them.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 29, 2013, 22:14 Optional Nickname!

Anno 2070 is overly burdened with DRM much like Anno 1404. With needless activations and surprising restrictions for a single player game. Adding SteamDRM on top of all that is ludicrous.

Too bad really as Anno 1404: Venice is one of the best city building games ever... embarrassingly artistic and stylish (shaming most other game artists). It's intuitive and easy to play, with a great soundtrack.

Anno 2070 isn't as graceful as 1404, as it gets in its own way often, and the DRM is worse. I suggest a demo of 2070 before you buy.

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 29, 2013, 21:11 Dirwulf

Statistic Verification

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 29, 2013, 21:11 nin

Creston wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 20:28:
mag wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 18:43:
Cutter wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 14:31:
Wolfox wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 11:59:
So glad to see Anno 2070 in that list. It's a fantastic and mostly overlooked game.

Also, glad Starbound is there. It's a great game already, and it's not nearly complete yet.

Anno is a great game, but that's Ubisoft's fault for loading it up with ODRM. Had it not had that it would have been HUGE!

I'm not sure how many people actually pay attention to that. They certainly lost my money because of it, because I did check whether it still had it, but when I mentioned it here most people said that they thought it had been removed. I doubt lay people are even aware of what sort of DRM it had in the first place.

It's been removed to the extent that while you still get a better experience if you're online, you can at least play while offline. It also means that when their server is having fits (which happens with distressing frequency because Ubisoft refuses to put 5 dollars into their hardware), you don't get kicked out of the game you bought.

They claim you're supposed to get back one a month. Not that I'm in any way defending them...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 29, 2013, 21:07 mag

Creston wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 20:28:
So glad to see Anno 2070 in that list. It's a fantastic and mostly overlooked game.

Also, glad Starbound is there. It's a great game already, and it's not nearly complete yet.

Anno is a great game, but that's Ubisoft's fault for loading it up with ODRM. Had it not had that it would have been HUGE!

I'm not sure how many people actually pay attention to that. They certainly lost my money because of it, because I did check whether it still had it, but when I mentioned it here most people said that they thought it had been removed. I doubt lay people are even aware of what sort of DRM it had in the first place.

It's been removed to the extent that while you still get a better experience if you're online, you can at least play while offline. It also means that when their server is having fits (which happens with distressing frequency because Ubisoft refuses to put 5 dollars into their hardware), you don't get kicked out of the game you bought.

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 29, 2013, 20:28 Creston

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 29, 2013, 20:26 Creston

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 29, 2013, 20:14 Mr. Tact

nin wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 12:28:
What was wrong with SC4? Beats the fuck out of the newer version.
My bad, coach. I did get my versions confused. I was thinking of the on-line horror.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 29, 2013, 20:07 Quboid

Likewise, the DRM put me off. I picked it up after the SimCity debacle when the DRM had been removed, TBH I don't like it as much as Anno 1XXX, the future setting didn't float my ark.  

- Quboid

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 29, 2013, 19:46 jdreyer

I didn't pick it up bc of the drm. So there's one sale lost.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 29, 2013, 18:43 mag

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 29, 2013, 16:24 jacobvandy

Dirwulf wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 13:39:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 13:01:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 10:20:
WOOOHOOO!!! GO SKYRIM!

Can't beat that price. Best item no the sale all year.

The legs on Skyrim has been literally inconceivable (that word...). I would love to see the monthly sales numbers for that game since launch. I am so curious how many millions of copies they have sold.

I'm not sure how accurate this is, but here ya go. According to this they have sold over 20 million units, but only 14% of that has been on PC.

Not accurate at all. At best it represents retail only, when there have most certainly been millions sold on Steam. And Valve doesn't release those figures.

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo