Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Tech Bits

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 30, 2013, 07:08 Prez

jdreyer wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 15:26:
An even better idea: Dual boot Windows and Steam OS. Given that so many home users own windows for the games...

I like this idea.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 30, 2013, 02:44 OldTimber

Yeah I know I'd want to dualboot into a android OS on a normal system with a buttload of 3ghz+ cores and assloads of ram. please it's a toy/appliance OS so leave it there not on actual lap/desktops.  

9. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 29, 2013, 23:14 Redmask

LittleMe wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 22:22:
IIRC a Win8 license works for Win7..

Sort of but it doesn't really apply here. Users can downgrade as per the official Microsoft documentation with some restrictions. They need to first have a Windows 8.1 machine, agree to the EULA and then perform the downgrade themselves. I don't really see any OEM in their right mind deploying that. So yes it's technically possible but not realistic in consumer sales.

The problem is that Microsoft controls licensing and it doesn't want to continue licensing Windows 7. I don't think OEMs will have an easier time selling Windows 7 machines up against the tablet/smartphone craze either.

8. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 29, 2013, 22:22 LittleMe

Redmask wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 19:47:
Cutter wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 14:50:
A rebellion would be if they all said they were going back to Win7 and refuse to touch Win8 in its current state.

They can't because they don't control the licensing for Windows, Microsoft does. You can't 'go back to Windows 7' when you don't have the ability to give your users product keys for it.

IIRC a Win8 license works for Win7..

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

7. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 29, 2013, 19:47 Redmask

A rebellion would be if they all said they were going back to Win7 and refuse to touch Win8 in its current state.

They can't because they don't control the licensing for Windows, Microsoft does. You can't 'go back to Windows 7' when you don't have the ability to give your users product keys for it.

6. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 29, 2013, 16:02 JeffD

Not just steam OS, they need to make linux dualboot a kind of standard. We NEED user friendly versions of these operating systems with program install methods that do not fail! Most popular builds today offer painless program installers but the moment that installer fails to install something, the technical knowledge required to troubleshoot it increases by 10 fold.

Android dualboot is kinda.. nah. Having android on a stick you can plugin to TVs is cool.. having it on my clunky PC not so much. And the games arn't there. That is the key factor in steam OS that might make it successful, game support! If you can create an alternate OS where all the games be.. you have a good chance of pulling people who spend money on PCs away from MS.

5. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 29, 2013, 15:26 jdreyer

An even better idea: Dual boot Windows and Steam OS. Given that so many home users own windows for the games...  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 29, 2013, 14:56 Creston

Didn't MS stop Win7 OEM sales already?

In any case, it's good they're doing something. Why they've stood by silently and watch Microsoft rape the PC in favor of a futile effort to battle with Apple/Android on the tablet market is beyond me.

3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 29, 2013, 14:50 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 29, 2013, 13:44 DangerDog

They should pre-install StartIsBack Plus on their boxes, I think that would be more rebellious of them. I know some do have a "Start Menu" replacement but the ones I've seen are borderline spamware.  

1. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 29, 2013, 12:47 jdreyer

PC Makers Plan Rebellion Against Microsoft At CES.

Not sure this will have too much effect, but I applaud them for trying SOMETHING.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo