Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Homeworld HD/CE Survey

Gearbox Software is conducting a Homeworld Survey to poll the community for opinions on how they should deal with their recently acquired IP for the space strategy series. The survey starts with general gaming questions and then drills into Homeworld, investigating awareness of the franchise before introducing the Homeworld HD concept and gauging how much gamers might be willing to pay for an updated version of Relic's first installment in the series. They also question whether there is interest in a Collector's Edition, how much such a collection would be worth, and what items it could include to inspire your purchase. They also ask similar questions about willingness to buy a Homeworld art book. Thanks nin via Polygon.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Homeworld HD/CE Survey Dec 28, 2013, 10:09 Burrito of Peace

Sugarman wrote on Dec 28, 2013, 05:24:
I was never all that thrilled by Homeworld, definitely had it's good points but seemed lacking at times. That was a while ago so I may think differently if I tried it again. Nexus the Jupiter Incident was always one of my favorites, if one were to draw similarities. Not to pee in anyone's cheerios, just my opinion. I am a sucker for space/sci-fi games so I'm still hoping they do a good job with it.

NTJI was great. It's a shame the sequel never took off on Kickstarter, though the lack of advertisement of the same really hurt it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Homeworld HD/CE Survey Dec 28, 2013, 08:10 Krovven

One thing I hope they would do to update Homeworld 1, is adopt the quick resource harvesting at the end of missions from Homeworld 2 so you aren't sitting there for 20min waiting to get all those resources.

On the flip side, in Homeworld 2, they would give you the resources remaining, but then auto-end the mission before you could rebuild your forces with those resources, sometimes sending you into the next mission and under attack immediately, but crippled from a lack of units.

Give me the resources AND let me end the mission myself when I'm good and ready.

29. Re: Homeworld HD/CE Survey Dec 28, 2013, 07:46 Undih

Cutter wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 14:13:
How much would you pay? What scumbags. The response determines their effort does it? How about you do it right and send it out the door gratis to make up for the Aliens fiasco? Showing people your company actually still has worth before you go asking them how much you can milk them for for an old game.

Right on!!

28. Re: Homeworld HD/CE Survey Dec 28, 2013, 07:04 Muscular Beaver

Loved the first part. Second was good too, but imo too shiny and colorful due to rainbow nebula star fields.  

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

27. Re: Homeworld HD/CE Survey Dec 28, 2013, 05:24 Sugarman

I was never all that thrilled by Homeworld, definitely had it's good points but seemed lacking at times. That was a while ago so I may think differently if I tried it again. Nexus the Jupiter Incident was always one of my favorites, if one were to draw similarities. Not to pee in anyone's cheerios, just my opinion. I am a sucker for space/sci-fi games so I'm still hoping they do a good job with it.  

26. Re: Homeworld HD/CE Survey Dec 28, 2013, 04:50 jdreyer

OldTimber wrote on Dec 28, 2013, 03:20:
Pay: $0 i'll just go into my storage box and pull the original out and reinstall it.

That's nice, but the original has really REALLY pixellicious graphics that could really do with a nice HD update. I thought the original needed new graphics a whole decade ago when I played it, and that's saying something.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

25. Re: Homeworld HD/CE Survey Dec 28, 2013, 03:20 OldTimber

Pay: $0 i'll just go into my storage box and pull the original out and reinstall it.
CE: Will just grab the original books and go through them again. CE now is considered what we used to get with games lol...so sad that they have the morons hooked on buying guidebooks right at release with all the info that used to be in the included manuals. thanks console playing shitheads!

24. Re: Homeworld HD/CE Survey Dec 27, 2013, 21:31 Creston

harlock wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 16:56:
but at the same time, the ease of patching these days leads to a mess like BF4 and again egosoft as well, plus plenty of others - where the prevailing ideology is "ship now, patch later" and then it doesnt work out because its a fucking stupid idea..

Yeah, that's sadly the downside of it. :\

Liked your tactics for MW though. Never tried that! :-doh-:

23. Re: Homeworld HD/CE Survey Dec 27, 2013, 20:20 verybad1

A modern version graphics of the original WITH mod support would be the best possible option.

Just redoing the original in modern graphics would be nice, but support for online play including a universe you can conquer ( random starpmap with jumplanes) would be a ton of fun.

I'd probably buy an update of the original, it was that good, but there's so much that could be added to it, if they're not willing to do so ok, but PLEASE add better mod support than Relic did.

22. Re: Homeworld HD/CE Survey Dec 27, 2013, 20:18 Krovven

I haven't re-read this article, but if I recall correctly, one of the biggest challenges in updating the code is reworking the game without OpenGL/D3D.

http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/community/articles/1114

21. Re: Homeworld HD/CE Survey Dec 27, 2013, 20:10 Krovven

Yep, pretty lame survey. "Map of the Universe" - uhmm, that would be rather difficult, considering half the missions involve you going to unknown areas of space.

"Have you heard of Homeworld" - No option for yes, I've played them all and still own them all. Just "I've played one of the games".

It's like they think nobody knows about the games.

Not a single mention of multiplayer, which is troubling. One big thing for me would be if there was Steamworks MP, removing the old WON service that no longer works.

I'll be all over an HD re-release of Homeworld, even if it's just single player, for the right price. But I would hope that it includes Homeworld 1 & 2 with the expansions for each. Again, no mention of this. I honestly have no interest in a CE edition with an art book, etc.

20. Re: Homeworld HD/CE Survey Dec 27, 2013, 19:44 panbient

Depending on the quality of the ship model I'd be fine with paying up to $50-60 for a CE HD remake. Though I'd prefer if both games were part of the package.

I quite like the idea of adding a Homeworld ship next to my Marcus and Pip Boy bobble-heads. Yes, I paid $100 for Borderlands 2

19. Re: Homeworld HD/CE Survey Dec 27, 2013, 18:46 eRe4s3r

The survey went well.. until they didn't let me select "no" with "0$" for collectors edition... who the heck writes a survey that lets ye select "no" to a question, but then still asks questions as if you had answered "yes"?

Anyway, $9.99 on GOG for Homeworld 1 and 2 HD.. but that's about it.

18. Re: Homeworld HD/CE Survey Dec 27, 2013, 18:28 Burrito of Peace

I said I'd pay 20 for an HD reissue.

For a CE with physical ship model, art book, map of the universe and something else (but not retarded in-game rewards), I said I'd spring for $50.

I don't buy CEs of anything, ever, but I would for Homeworld as it is my favorite IP without exception. I still play it today. Homeworld 1, for example, is gorgeous in OpenGL in Wine instead of playing it on Windows under really old Direct3D. Homeworld 2 is still a gorgeous game and I will even play Cataclysm from time to time under Wine. In my opinion, only Bioshock 1 and 3 have ever given me the same kind of gaming experience that I received from the Homeworld series.

17. Re: Homeworld HD/CE Survey Dec 27, 2013, 16:56 harlock

Creston wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 16:28:
It's funny, but really that was kinda the way things were.

yeh man. i was there

Creston wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 16:28:
If stuff was broken, you just basically put up with it, because what else were you going to do?

exploit the hell out of it? Mwahaha

i remember playing mechwarrior 1 and using only a stock Locust for every battle.. race up to the legs of any mech, zigzagging to avoid getting hit, because once you were right up on them they couldnt even aim down that low

then lay on the machineguns until their legs blew up... massive cash bonus for using such a light mech.. took on groups of battlemasters with that strat, got flawless victories

or the battletech RPG - just get some shares of the guaranteed stock, walk up to a wall and tape the arrow key down to make the turns keep going - profit.. (but i guess thats still a thing in the old x-series these days anyway, ala seti)

tons more .. of course, there were plenty of bugs that werent exploitable and you just fucking lived with it

but at the same time, the ease of patching these days leads to a mess like BF4 and again egosoft as well, plus plenty of others - where the prevailing ideology is "ship now, patch later" and then it doesnt work out because its a fucking stupid idea...

16. Re: Homeworld HD/CE Survey Dec 27, 2013, 16:28 Creston

harlock wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 16:15:
DangerDog wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 15:28:
Remember when games came with this stuff without trying to milk more money out of you?

I still have a really cool art book Dynamix put in the Starsiege box, and how about that original binder manual that came with Falcon.

Those were the good ol days

/rocking chair creaks

back in my day, we didnt have no gosh-dern patches and all that rigmarole - if it was broken, thats how you played the doggone thing, dadgummit! now you got these whippersnappers... *mumble* Coffee

It's funny, but really that was kinda the way things were. If stuff was broken, you just basically put up with it, because what else were you going to do?

I got Origin to send me completely new game floppies (3.5 inch!) of Ultima 3 for the Amiga because I kept managing to totally break mine (to the point where new games wouldn't even function.) I'd send them a fax explaining the problem, and a few weeks later they'd mail me a new game floppy.

They also sent me patches for Ultima 7 Black Gate after the game would mysteriously stop drawing about half the entire world.

I'm glad Steam makes things a lot easier nowadays.

15. Re: Homeworld HD/CE Survey Dec 27, 2013, 16:15 harlock

DangerDog wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 15:28:
Remember when games came with this stuff without trying to milk more money out of you?

I still have a really cool art book Dynamix put in the Starsiege box, and how about that original binder manual that came with Falcon.

/rocking chair creaks

back in my day, we didnt have no gosh-dern patches and all that rigmarole - if it was broken, thats how you played the doggone thing, dadgummit! now you got these whippersnappers... *mumble* Coffee

14. Re: Homeworld HD/CE Survey Dec 27, 2013, 15:28 DangerDog

/rocking chair creaks

13. Re: Homeworld HD/CE Survey Dec 27, 2013, 14:57 Numinar

Collectors edition? Like with a high quality illustrated manual including dozens of pages of awesome back-story and concept art that got you into the mood before you even finished driving home? (it's much harder than texting, but don't judge teenage me! I was EXCITED).

I already have that on the shelf. Gimme Win 7 compatible, HD, modable, reworked netcode, maybe some UI tweaks. Age of Empires 2 HD style (A game that didn't make the jump as well due to being 2d, and the initial offering was pretty lame due to seriously bad engine bugs or "optimisations", but the scope was right!)

edit: Just did the survey. No longer cynical. The updated textures and rendering is a given, it's the hard-copy stuff that was famously awesome in the originals and super risky for Gearbox (Hence Survey). Do they print 10, 20, 50 thousand? Kitchen sink or minimal effort? Could sink the whole project (And chances at HW2) right there with the wrong guess. The game was never competitive enough in MP to have long legs past the play your mates level so gauging nostalgia is the way to go. Could you imagine shipping that interface today? I don't even think grognards like us would put up with it (Despite bemoaning the simplified plane-oriented nature of games like SoaSE.

And thanks for asking guys!

This comment was edited on Dec 27, 2013, 15:17.

12. Re: Homeworld HD/CE Survey Dec 27, 2013, 14:20 Kosh401

I bet it would be full of concept art, etc., that was already made for the original games. Maybe they would photoshop some of it up a bit, but I'm sure all that kind of stuff was acquired as well.

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo