Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Game Reviews

View
2 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

2. Re: Game Reviews Dec 28, 2013, 11:46 Quboid

I got my brother X-Plane 10 for Christmas so I've been checking it out while he's staying with me. It's definitely up there with MS Flight Simulator X on early impressions. There's loads I've yet to look into, such as AI traffic or mods.

It's not as pretty as Aerofly FS but it's certainly not ugly (unlike previous X-Planes I'd tried). Probably better than unmodded FSX at the same frame-rate but I'd like further options (particularly extended view distance (edit: apparently the default weather options limit the view distance and it can be improved by customising the weather settings)) as I'm already close to maxing everything out. I'd expect a flight sim to be more future proof.

It comes on 8 DVDs and the installer lets you choose what parts of the world you want to install so it takes from 6GB to 75GB of space. You can re-run the installer and add or remove specific regions, it's very handy if you have an optical drive.

I got a Saitek/Mad Catz Cyborg FLY5 joystick, it's pretty good if you're looking for a good, small stick. Dual throttle is nice but not as much use as I'd imagined - landing an F/A-22 with the air brake bound to the second throttle is much easier but apart from that, it's been little use so far as I don't usually fly multi-engine craft.

The best thing is the thumb scroll wheel (which is just 2 buttons as far as games are concerned). For the first time ever, I've got nice elevator trim controls! It's a Christmas miracle!

This comment was edited on Dec 28, 2013, 13:52.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

1. Re: Game Reviews Dec 28, 2013, 04:55 jdreyer

X-Plane 10

Oh, to be a younger man with tons of free time. I loved the era I was born into, but to be born a mere 20 years later...

On the up side, I guess I'll be dead by the time the effects of global warming / peak oil get REALLY bad.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

2 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo