Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gatherings & Competitions

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 27, 2013, 11:47 HorrorScope

Sepharo wrote on Dec 26, 2013, 23:37:
Stanley Parable, Papers Please, and Antichamber.
Can't disagree there. All great games that I actually completed this year and I rarely complete anything. You might want to say that's because they're short games but according to Steam the breakdown like this for me:
Antichamber - 7 hours
Papers Please - 6 hours
Stanley Parable - 5 hours

And for comparison:
Blood Dragon - 30 minutes
Machine For Pigs - 2 hours
The Wolf Among Us - 45 minutes
And I liked those games too

And I thought my ADHD was bad.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 27, 2013, 11:37 HorrorScope

Mad Max RW wrote on Dec 26, 2013, 12:01:
Good to be reminded of how awful Aliens Colonial Marines turned out.

I love the review scores (Bottom-Right) where there is one 9 out of 10 and the rest bomb it. I bet the author of that review would like a mulligan being exposed as a shill like that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliens:_Colonial_Marines

20. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 27, 2013, 05:51 mag

Krovven wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 04:20:
InBlack wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 03:56:
Diablo3 was so dissapointing, it should be included on the 2013 list as well...

Diablo 3 was released in 2012...

thatsthejoke.jpg

19. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 27, 2013, 04:20 Krovven

InBlack wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 03:56:

Diablo 3 was released in 2012...

18. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 27, 2013, 03:56 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

17. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 27, 2013, 01:55 Creston

Beamer wrote on Dec 26, 2013, 19:54:
there was one mission in which you were Trevor chasing a plane on a dirtbike and all I could do was grin like an idiot while doing it.

Yeah that mission is fantastic. Loved it.

GTA5 was just loud.

Yeah, that's... kinda the point of satire.

It thought it had things to say, but was vapid, and beat any idea home with a sledgehammer.

I don't think much in GTA needs to be taken seriously, if anything.

The best comment I saw in a review was that GTA5 thinks it's taking down the man, but as one of the top 3 or 5 entertainment franchises on the planet, it is the man, and it should be leading.

It's a fun take on modern life in California (and the US in general) and all the weirdness that goes with it. Not sure where GTA or Rockstar ever claimed they were "Taking down the man!" and as for leading, it is bar none the best open-world game ever created. There is no game out there that even comes close to the level of detail put into GTA5, with as many things to do, and with as many gameplay systems that work together to create a whole.

People can not like it, of course, to each their own, but the idea that it isn't 'leading' and 'thinks it's taking on the man' sounds just like generic game reviewer nonsense.

Its story missions were fun, its emergent things were often great, but virtually everything else was awful.

Well, you're certainly entitled to that opinion. Not many people who've played it share it.

16. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 26, 2013, 23:37 Sepharo

Stanley Parable, Papers Please, and Antichamber.
Can't disagree there. All great games that I actually completed this year and I rarely complete anything. You might want to say that's because they're short games but according to Steam the breakdown like this for me:
Antichamber - 7 hours
Papers Please - 6 hours
Stanley Parable - 5 hours

And for comparison:
Blood Dragon - 30 minutes
Machine For Pigs - 2 hours
The Wolf Among Us - 45 minutes
And I liked those games too

15. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 26, 2013, 22:39 Beamer

Everyone seems to love Teleglitch and Papers, Please.

Papers, Please feels too much like work to me, as I'm very often copying something from one monitor to another then checking to make sure I didn't miss anything, haha. A little too close to what I often do for a living.

Teleglitch was one of the games I picked up to play on this weak work laptop. I think input devices held me back, but it's also not a game for me, necessarily. The plot is Doom-ish, and the top-down approach feels a bit like Take No Prisoners to me. It's ultimately a survival game, though, and a reoccurring theme for me is that I'm just not huge into survival games. I don't like being low on ammo and supplies and running for my life as a game. I like it as something I occasionally do in games where I'm blowing everything up, but I greatly dislike it as the entire game. The graphics, while well stylized, also make it easy to miss things (everything, really), so you miss the important thing you need for the next level. It's exceptionally rogue-like, in that you're basically supposed to die often, always restart, and luck plays into about 90% of what happens. Do you find a gun? Do you find ammo? Does a giant monster find you? I love some rogue-like games. Nethack games are short enough that I can do several in one sitting, but one Teleglitch game takes everything out of me. FTL requires some skill and planning on top of the dumb luck (I feel you can control the luck), but the only real skill I felt in Teleglitched was being able to use the knife effectively against nearly any monster (and I didn't really have a solid input device to make this work.)
I may try it again, but I wasn't in love with the game. I see how many others are, but it wasn't for me. It isn't a game about progress, and I like progressing.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 26, 2013, 22:09 Genesys

nin wrote on Dec 26, 2013, 11:56:
Papers, Please! Woot!!!!! Easily my favorite indie game this year.

2013 seems to have been "Year of the Amazing Indie Games". Half of Gamsutra's and Rock Paper Shotgun's Top lists were indies, and they aren't on there just to fill the list out.

13. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 26, 2013, 19:54 Beamer

I'm always a bit surprised at the love GTA5. It had its highs, most notably its story missions. And some highs were very high - there was one mission in which you were Trevor chasing a plane on a dirtbike and all I could do was grin like an idiot while doing it.

But the non-story missions were almost all awful, the characters were almost all awful, the combat was mostly crappy, there was too much driving in empty areas (but sometimes I just booted it up to drive aimlessly), the interface/menu/map took too many clicks to get through, etc. The writing was really the single biggest disappointment. RDR had some subtlety and things to say. GTA5 was just loud. It thought it had things to say, but was vapid, and beat any idea home with a sledgehammer. The best comment I saw in a review was that GTA5 thinks it's taking down the man, but as one of the top 3 or 5 entertainment franchises on the planet, it is the man, and it should be leading. Its story missions were fun, its emergent things were often great, but virtually everything else was awful.

As for my game of the year, BioShock Infinite was incredible (there's writing done well. I loved Elizabeth. I loved the characters.) Other than that I didn't play many games - I moved entirely across the country this year and had my gaming rig, awesome TV and PS3 in storage for 5 months, leaving me with just a work laptop with little muscle and my Xbox, but without a TV with strong enough black levels to play much. I did a few small games, and bought Last of Us (which I haven't played), and put about 15 hours into Ghosts multiplayer (just because friends were playing), but... most of my gaming was 2012 games. Xcom and FTL. Still playing them now.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

12. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 26, 2013, 19:10 Acleacius

nin wrote on Dec 26, 2013, 11:56:
Papers, Please! Woot!!!!! Easily my favorite indie game this year.
I've got to try this game, sounds really great.

It's really too bad we PC gamers are missing The Last of Us, sounds amazing. I've tried to read about it, the one thing (not counting, excluding the PC of course.) I don't understand is why get a 30 year old actress to play a 14 year old. Surely all the wonderful young talent could do an excellent job. Chloë Grace Moretz, Dakota Fanning, Jennifer Lawrence, Emma Watson and Hailee Steinfeld?

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 26, 2013, 17:12 Agent.X7

Top games of 2013:

Tomb Raider - So good I am getting it on the PS4 next month.
The Last of Us
Bioshock Infinite - Thought I would not like it, but I loved it. It's a great game despite the generic shooter underneath.
Metro Last Light
Battlefield 4 - When it works, anyway.
The Walking Dead - Season 2
Beyond: Two Souls

Surprisingly forgettable:
Crysis 3 - Oh yeah, this game was fun for the whole 7 hour campaign.

Giant let down:
Dead Space 3

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 26, 2013, 15:34 harlock

Rigs wrote on Dec 26, 2013, 13:45:
Yeah, I have to agree that Rebirth was quite a let down. I think had they just updated Albion Prelude or Terran Conflict with a new graphics engine and enhanced the ways you can interact and affect the universe around you, plus giving it better AI (or maybe devoted some of the time to give it a planet-side landing option - how bad-ass would that have been?!), they would have sold it in droves. But no, they had to toss everything. I'm kinda split half and half because we're always bitching about devs taking risks and trying something new and though it didn't work out, at least they tried to do something unique and different. Hopefully the modders and further work from Ego can somehow soften the disappointment factor a little...

general consensus is that mods wont be able to fix it.. its gonna need to be a whole new game from the ground up - and im not sure how it could happen with current assets considering that level of engineering would likely break the EULA

so basically, egosoft needs to go back into their caves for another few years (or a decade) and come up with X4.. otherwise, its likely bye-bye for them

i got a bundle of all the X3 games for $5 recently.. considering the well well matured mods/scripts out there like XRM, im good for a while on X series.. and if they keep pulling shit like rebirth, im more than happy to say sayonara to em - these days there are plenty of other space sims on the way, they are no longer the only game in town so their previous latitude is gone

btw on minecraft i gave up on that 3 years ago because of how slow the updates were coming along, including the mod API - which still isnt done .. so yeh, better let it go cuz the current team is nigh worthless... notch is a one hit wonder all the way, he doesnt even work on minecraft anymore - cant blame him after like 5 billion in sales or whatever, shit id probably be chillin too

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 26, 2013, 13:45 Rigs

Yeah, I have to agree that Rebirth was quite a let down. I think had they just updated Albion Prelude or Terran Conflict with a new graphics engine and enhanced the ways you can interact and affect the universe around you, plus giving it better AI (or maybe devoted some of the time to give it a planet-side landing option - how bad-ass would that have been?!), they would have sold it in droves. But no, they had to toss everything. I'm kinda split half and half because we're always bitching about devs taking risks and trying something new and though it didn't work out, at least they tried to do something unique and different. Hopefully the modders and further work from Ego can somehow soften the disappointment factor a little...

And while I kick myself for saying and probably will get a hand to the back of my head, I have to say I'm slightly disappointed with GTA5. To be fair, I don't think it could've ever been as good as anticipation made it to be and I still love it, but...I dunno. I just wish there was 'more'. More interaction within the environment and better AI. It's certainly an amazing game in it's own right, I can't deny that. Maybe I'm just really hoping when and if the PC version comes around (and I had heard a rumor from TweakTown that there was 'supposed to be' an announcement on Christmas Eve, which obviously never came) that the mods bring in that little bit that's missing now and complete the game and make it the best of the best of the BEST that it should be.

Another disappointment would have to be with Minecraft. While they do continue to work hard on it, it feels like progress is agonizingly slow. The updates that do come out don't really make major changes and focus on things that, IMO, should have been put to the side until some of the other major stuff was completed. Plus all these near-constant little updates end up breaking my mods every time and then I have to go update every single one which is a major pain in the ass. If they would just finish the frakin' MOD API already, this wouldn't be such an issue...or any issue at all. I would also like to see some more of a graphical update to it. Texture/Resource packs and mods help but it needs major optimization. I know in the updates past 1.8, this is going to be addressed with the dropping of ancient OPENGL compatibility, but still, there should be an option to crank it with optimized, native shaders that run very smoothly on current hardware. Right now, on my Core i5/2.6ghz, 6gb of RAM and HD7850 system, I average ~30fps with 48 mods loaded. Implementing AF or AA makes the fps plummet to the single digits. And forget the highend shaders. But if they actually hardcoded them and optimized it IN Minecraft itself, that would be a whole 'nother story...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

8. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 26, 2013, 13:42 Creston

nin wrote on Dec 26, 2013, 13:32:
Creston wrote on Dec 26, 2013, 13:29:
GTA5 for consoles.

I love to explore a lot, and I'm close to like 70 hours, and still have something like 17-19 story missions...

I was initially worried when the main story was "only" 69 missions (compared to GTA4s 100+, maybe 120?), but there's so much shit to do on the side, it's insane.

Easily my favorite of 2013.

GTA4 had that many main story line missions? I thought it was a lot fewer than GTA5. GTA5 certainly felt bigger to me, mission wise.

Pure game-wise, GTA5 kicks the snot out of Last of Us, but Last of Us really did grip me with its atmosphere and its story, and it has, imo, the best ending since RDR.

7. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 26, 2013, 13:32 nin

Creston wrote on Dec 26, 2013, 13:29:
GTA5 for consoles.

I love to explore a lot, and I'm close to like 70 hours, and still have something like 17-19 story missions...

I was initially worried when the main story was "only" 69 missions (compared to GTA4s 100+, maybe 120?), but there's so much shit to do on the side, it's insane.

Easily my favorite of 2013.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

6. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 26, 2013, 13:29 Creston

Biggest disappointment: X-Rebirth.

Best games of 2013: Enemy Within for PC, and GTA5 for consoles.

Edit: Doh, forgot about Last of Us. That's tied with GTA5.

This comment was edited on Dec 26, 2013, 13:40.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 26, 2013, 12:48 Prez

A:CM and SimCity were far and away my biggest disappointments of 2013. Rounding out my top 3 would be GTA 5 not making it to PC.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 26, 2013, 12:23 Mad Max RW

Rigs wrote on Dec 26, 2013, 12:11:
Yes, but think about it for just a second...had this mod actually allowed all the seething hate to fill that forum, do you honestly think it would have lasted this long? It would have imploded into a singularity of pure, vile hatred and evil, slowly consuming the net in an ever expanding event horizon of horror (holy shit, I need to write this down! )...

=-Rigs-=

If that was such a problem they would have locked the forum. Instead they moderate in such a way only one side is allowed to speak. That resulted in a mass exodus of people who had been there for years. The whole point of a forum is to promote discussion. And today it's all but empty, effectively killing whatever community was left.

Their failed petition for more DLC/SDK/Dedicated servers is evidence of the fruits of their horrible community relations and overall abusive behavior directed at long term fans. They only needed 1,000 signatures and while we're closing on the 1 year anniversary it isn't halfway there.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 26, 2013, 12:11 Rigs

Yes, but think about it for just a second...had this mod actually allowed all the seething hate to fill that forum, do you honestly think it would have lasted this long? It would have imploded into a singularity of pure, vile hatred and evil, slowly consuming the net in an ever expanding event horizon of horror (holy shit, I need to write this down! )...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo