Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Boxing Day Interviews

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: The Dec 27, 2013, 18:50 jimnms

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 15:01:
Yeah, but I am lazy, I visit GOG like once every 2 months. I totally agree with you on steams update policy by the way... but Steam is easy to use for downloading and installing stuff. GoG isn't. I have a 200gb Folder with GOG-setup exes and browsing that and making sure everythings the latest version is annoying as heck.

And that (New) tag on GOG for downloads, goes away the second you view the page. Because checking whether I actually downloaded the update is rocket science, apparently...

The new flag has always stayed there for a while even after I've downloaded the updates. I don't know what the timeout is set for, but at one point it was staying so long people were complaining in the forums that it wouldn't go away after downloading updates.

I'm subscribed to their sale news letter. They have weekly sales, and when I get the email I go to the site to check out the sale, so I see weekly if/when my games have updates.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: The Dec 27, 2013, 15:01 eRe4s3r

jimnms wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 03:53:
Julio wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 03:25:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 26, 2013, 22:24:
Though I shudder to think what other service we'd be forced to used. GoG doesn't have a working update system and doesn't even have a client.

I'd be pretty happy with using GOG for all my games, so a DRM free world without Steam would be just fine if GOG was the alternative.

When you go to the GOG site and are logged in, it tells you if any of your games have updates available.

Yeah, but I am lazy, I visit GOG like once every 2 months. I totally agree with you on steams update policy by the way... but Steam is easy to use for downloading and installing stuff. GoG isn't. I have a 200gb Folder with GOG-setup exes and browsing that and making sure everythings the latest version is annoying as heck.

And that (New) tag on GOG for downloads, goes away the second you view the page. Because checking whether I actually downloaded the update is rocket science, apparently...

13. Re: The Dec 27, 2013, 03:53 jimnms

Julio wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 03:25:
Though I shudder to think what other service we'd be forced to used. GoG doesn't have a working update system and doesn't even have a client.

I'd be pretty happy with using GOG for all my games, so a DRM free world without Steam would be just fine if GOG was the alternative.

When you go to the GOG site and are logged in, it tells you if any of your games have updates available. The GOG downloader will also notify you of updates. GOG usually puts out a patch, then after a while replace it with a new installer that is fully up to date. I'm fine with manual updates, especially with modded games. I can't believe Steam doesn't give you the option to not install an update. How hard would it be to just turn off updates and have it notify you when you launch a game that isn't up to date?

MeanJim on Steam

12. Re: The Dec 27, 2013, 03:25 Julio

11. Re: The Dec 26, 2013, 23:50 Dev

I think if Steam weren't there we'd be using something other that isn't called Steam but still does all the things Steam does. In the end, the market showed it needed a digital retail service that is publisher agnostic....

[...]

How insanely stupid it was from Stardock to sell Impulse is beyond words though.
EA showed us what things would have been like when they were running their original service (the old EA digital download service way before origin). Where they CHARGED you to re-download something.

Actually, stardock made the smart decision to sell impulse. They got out of it for a good price at the right time. They make most of their money selling utilities like Start 8, not games. And they were spreading themselves thin with all the little games they were putting onto impulse. Remember how they were starting to have financial trouble? That sale bailed them out and they seem to be healthy again.
There's been details about the reasons for the sale written up by stardock as I recall.
That being said, I do miss their vision for impulse. They wanted to let people sell their "used" digital games, had a nice gamer's rights document (that they unfortunately didn't fully live up to).

jimnms wrote on Dec 26, 2013, 20:26:
If Valve decided to get out of the business, there would be a long line of people wanting to buy it from them, but lets hope that never happens.
It won't. If they did, they'd lose basically all their income, and they are having too much fun spending it on things like trying to enter the console market, custom controllers, biofeedback devices, custom OS, and anything else they can think of to do that's fun and interesting and often expensive, and NOT HALF LIFE.

Seriously valve, farm it out already.

10. Re: The Dec 26, 2013, 22:24 eRe4s3r

I think if Steam weren't there we'd be using something other that isn't called Steam but still does all the things Steam does. In the end, the market showed it needed a digital retail service that is publisher agnostic....

Though I shudder to think what other service we'd be forced to used. GoG doesn't have a working update system and doesn't even have a client. GmG has horrid Capsule client, again no update system. Impulse is crap because... you know who owns it.... and Desura... I don't like Desura.

How insanely stupid it was from Stardock to sell Impulse is beyond words though.

9. The "cult" of Steam Dec 26, 2013, 20:26 jimnms

From the article
I think Valve is single-handedly keeping PC gaming going; they’re a major contributor. If Valve went away suddenly, I don’t know what would happen to PC gaming as a whole, but it would affect the entire culture. It’s about their culture, their influence that they generate around Steam… They’ve grown a cult around PC gaming, which is really cool.

I never really though of that before. If Valve never created Steam, what would PC gaming be like today. Would it still be disks and disk checks or other DRM, or worse, would it even still exist?

If Valve went away today, tomorrow or next year, I don't think PC gaming will die, since Steam has already proven that the PC gaming platform is still alive. It would change things, but there are already other digital retailers to go to. I think Steam is too big to go away though. If Valve decided to get out of the business, there would be a long line of people wanting to buy it from them, but lets hope that never happens.

MeanJim on Steam

8. Re: Into the Black Dec 26, 2013, 20:14 jimnms

Wow, that post was longer than I expected. Anyway, I just checked and the mod was finally updated today! I guess it's back to KSP for me. The mod I was waiting for is called Remote Tech 2. It makes satellites not only useful, but required for operating unmanned remote craft as you need them to relay the signal. You also need them for career mode if you intend to transmit science data back. The signal needs to be able to reach the Kerbal Space port. I was hoping something like this was going to be implemented with the 0.22 patch that introduced career mode and transmission of science data. It also has a simple flight computer so if you need a remote craft to make a maneuver when it's going to be out of comm., like on the back side of a planet or moon that will block the signal, you can program it to make the maneuver. It's not fancy and automated, you have to tell it what pitch and heading to turn to and how long to fire the engine(s). You can give it a specific time to make the maneuver or a countdown time.  

MeanJim on Steam

7. Re: Into the Black Dec 26, 2013, 19:51 jimnms

NegaDeath wrote on Dec 26, 2013, 17:38:
I played it awhile ago and stopped when I finally successfully got a Kerbel into orbit. I didn't make any plans to get him back DOWN again but he knew what he was getting into. At least I'm pretty sure they told him that. Anyways the rocket didn't explode or slam into the ground at unthinkable speeds so I'm putting a notch in the win column. I'll come back to it someday.

The first thing I did was probably what 99% of players do. Stick a bunch of stuff together and launch it straight up. Then I decided to see if I could first get a satellite into orbit (before I started risking Kerbal lives). I managed to do it on my first try. I didn't read any tutorials or watch any videos, so I didn't really even know how to get in orbit, I just guessed. From what I've seen of shuttle and rocket launches, they tend to go up for a bit then pitch over. My rocket used solid rocket boosters on the first stage and a regular rocket after that. I didn't know when to pitch over, so I just waited for the SRBs to burn out, then turned 45° and kept going until I had an orbit. It wasn't a nice circular orbit, but it was an orbit. I detached the satellite, then went to de-orbit the rocket and it wouldn't fire.

So my next goal was to get a satellite in orbit without leaving debris behind. I decide to read the official wiki and watch a few videos on getting to orbit first. It took me three more tries to get it right. Now I had 4 (useless) satellites in orbit and three pieces of junk. My OCD kicked in and I decided I needed to do something about that junk. You can delete objects from the command center, but that feels like cheating. So I set another goal for myself to design something to go up and knock junk out of orbit. I decided that if I could do it consistently two times then I would allow myself to delete junk from the command center and I could just pretend it was done right. My first two attempts while successful in knocking the junk out of orbit, also had problems. Then my 3rd design worked so well (and me getting better) that after knocking its target out it had enough fuel and battery left to go get a second one.

I had met the goal I set for myself, but I was having fun. I think I enjoy designing and building things more than flying them. I then decided to design a reusable craft to go get the rest of the satellites and junk. It would have solar panels to recharge the battery, and I would be able to re-fuel it. When I was done cleaning junk I would leave it in orbit to be ready when needed.

That was pretty much the first 75 hours or so in KSP for me. I then went to the Mun, twice. The first just to see if I could do it. I was confident I could do it after all of that junk cleaning, so I sent Kerbals on the first try. They got there and landed, took back off, but then ran out fuel during the burn to return to Kerbin. The Kerbals were left in a very high orbit. I still had mono-propellant for the maneuvering thrusters, so I decided to try and use them. After using every last drop of mono-propellant it brought the return trajectory just into Kerbin's atmosphere. The atmosphere slowed them down a little, but they had to go around 4 or 5 more times to slow them down enough to re-enter and land. I went back a second time with a rover. This time I brought enough fuel to get home.

I haven't been anywhere else yet. A day or two after my last Mun mission the new version came out with the improvements to the career mode. I had planned to start a career mode and install a few mods when that version was released anyway. I haven't played it since then because I've been waiting on one mod to be updated before I get back to it. All but that one mod was either already compatible or quickly updated. I've almost been tempted to just go without it, but it's the main mod I want to use.

MeanJim on Steam

6. Re: Into the Black Dec 26, 2013, 19:40 Dacron

NegaDeath wrote on Dec 26, 2013, 17:38:
I played it awhile ago and stopped when I finally successfully got a Kerbel into orbit. I didn't make any plans to get him back DOWN again but he knew what he was getting into. At least I'm pretty sure they told him that. Anyways the rocket didn't explode or slam into the ground at unthinkable speeds so I'm putting a notch in the win column. I'll come back to it someday.

After getting the hang of lining up orbits and such rescuing the first space born kerbal with another ship is entirely possible

5. Re: Into the Black Dec 26, 2013, 17:38 NegaDeath

4. Re: Boxing Day Interviews Dec 26, 2013, 16:58 Kosumo

You should install and play some nin, it's good easy fun, hard to master.

Your missing out, INSTALL IT! Bat

3. Re: Boxing Day Interviews Dec 26, 2013, 15:05 nin

jdreyer wrote on Dec 26, 2013, 14:24:
Blue just needs to give nin a 10% stake in Blues News already.

Nice article. I'll own this at some point. I love games where you put stuff together then try it out in the environment. Loved the old mechwarrior games for exactly this reason.

I own it, but have never installed it. Love watching peoples Let's Plays though, as they come up with all kinds of ideas I wouldn't have thought of.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

2. Re: Boxing Day Interviews Dec 26, 2013, 14:24 jdreyer

Blue just needs to give nin a 10% stake in Blues News already.

Nice article. I'll own this at some point. I love games where you put stuff together then try it out in the environment. Loved the old mechwarrior games for exactly this reason.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

1. Re: Boxing Day Interviews Dec 26, 2013, 12:15 Creston

Click on the link, see picture at top of article, immediately think: "Jeb?"

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo