Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Left 4 Dead 2 Free

Steam News announces Left 4 Dead 2 is being offered for free today only, though the load this is causing along with the ongoing Steam sale is making the website difficult to access. Here's word on Valve's gift of zombie mayhem:

Left 4 Dead 2 is FREE today only on Steam!*

Free Zombies!

To celebrate the holidays in a special way this year, Left 4 Dead 2 will be free until 10AM PST on 12/26.

It will be free as in, grab it now, pay no money, and it is yours to keep forever Ė FOR FREE!

To claim your L4D2 gift, all you need to do is install it.

If you donít install, it goes back to its regular price and you miss out! The zombie apocalypse is more fun with friends so make sure to tell all your mates to install it as well.

Happy Holidays!

Valve

*Offer ends December 26th at 10AM Pacific Time.

View
65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

65. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Free Dec 26, 2013, 18:24 Acleacius

Ant wrote on Dec 25, 2013, 21:10:
SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 25, 2013, 19:09:
I've got a coupon for this game forever in my inventory and couldn't give it away as everyone on my friends list and on my friends friends list already have this game.
With this deal I think the coupon will be in my inventory forevah!
Dang dude. I could have taken it before today. LOL.
Hope you got it ok Ant! Seems I got it downloaded in time, still there on the 26th!

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

64. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Free Dec 26, 2013, 14:16 Krovven

Quboid wrote on Dec 26, 2013, 13:03:
Creston wrote on Dec 26, 2013, 12:59:
What they should have done is give this away during the last 3 hours of the sale. Not right smack in the middle.

They should put the extra load on the servers when people are checking out the last deals and when people can't just drop back in later?

I was about to say the same thing. Having it at the end of the sale would make no sense.

Seriously the downtime was inconsequential to me. Good lord i wasnt able to buy anything for a few hours! It was fixed and back up before the set of Flash Sales had changed and the downtime didnt seem to effect the majority of folks from playing games. People also have another week to get their purchases in.

63. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Free Dec 26, 2013, 13:32 harlock

Mad Max RW wrote on Dec 26, 2013, 11:45:
God you are full of shit.

true meaning of christmas

62. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Free Dec 26, 2013, 13:14 Creston

Quboid wrote on Dec 26, 2013, 13:03:
What they should have done is give this away during the last 3 hours of the sale. Not right smack in the middle.

They should put the extra load on the servers when people are checking out the last deals and when people can't just drop back in later?

Wouldn't it be better to overload the servers when the sale is about to end rather than right during the middle and people miss out on flash sales because they can't view them?

Would seem logical to me, but eh. :-shrug-:

61. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Free Dec 26, 2013, 13:03 Quboid

- Quboid

60. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Free Dec 26, 2013, 12:59 Creston

Beamer wrote on Dec 26, 2013, 12:48:
Honestly, I don't think that having downtime because you're giving something away for free is bad customer service.

Which isn't actually what I meant to imply. I don't think they really foresaw just how popular a download that would be. I was referring to the general infrastructure issues they have during sales, though like I'd said, they seem to be quite a bit better this year.

Their choices are either build to the capacity that "free" requires, which would cost significant money and they'd be at or near that capacity one day per year; not give something away for free; or simply have issues when something is free.

I think they made the right choice. Honestly, if they overbuilt capacity to handle yesterday, we'd all be paying for it in higher pricing.

Right, but that's in line with what you said, that yesterday is just a fluke peak. You can't really prepare for that. The normal increased traffic during a sale isn't a fluke peak, though.

59. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Free Dec 26, 2013, 12:52 Tumbler

I did it! I successfully boycotted this game! Now that I have it for free there is no way I'll ever pay for it so I WIN VALVE! That's gotta sting hunh?

...wait...I did buy it prior to this, but I traded it to someone else, so that doesn't count! Muahahah! I never played it!

Next time support your first game before moving on to a sequel!

Sheesh, has it really been 4 years?! Hmm, you're still dead 2 me. Not buying L4D3 either, I hold a grudge for life, or until you show me something I like.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

58. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Free Dec 26, 2013, 12:48 Beamer

Honestly, I don't think that having downtime because you're giving something away for free is bad customer service. Their choices are either build to the capacity that "free" requires, which would cost significant money and they'd be at or near that capacity one day per year; not give something away for free; or simply have issues when something is free.

I think they made the right choice. Honestly, if they overbuilt capacity to handle yesterday, we'd all be paying for it in higher pricing.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

57. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Free Dec 26, 2013, 12:40 Quboid

This was a nice thread until you said someone was full of shit. You make baby Santa cry.  

- Quboid

56. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Free Dec 26, 2013, 12:32 Mad Max RW

Creston wrote on Dec 26, 2013, 12:28:
I'm done with you, dipshit.

Awwwwww. BOO HOO HOO! BOOOOOO HOOOOO. Here, you need this more than Cutter.

55. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Free Dec 26, 2013, 12:31 Creston

On a sidenote, it looks like the extra hours today are hammering their servers again, as I can't even log in to Steam.

54. removed Dec 26, 2013, 12:28 Creston

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Dec 26, 2013, 19:40.

53. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Free Dec 26, 2013, 12:26 Mad Max RW

Creston wrote on Dec 26, 2013, 12:21:
Mad Max RW wrote on Dec 26, 2013, 11:45:
Creston wrote on Dec 26, 2013, 11:39:

Those of you who still believe that Valve/Steam cares about customer service can now gently lay that myth to rest.

Really? Because I didn't have a single issue. Not quite ready to "lay that myth to rest" yet, hmm?

So you were able to get through when their entire infrastructure collapsed yesterday? Good for you. And if you didn't have any problems, nobody else can possibly have problems either, right? Stop thinking you're the king of the universe, moronic fucking asstard.

Stop expecting everything to work 100% of the time for you then coming here crying like a baby when it doesn't. You are the perfect example of the entitlement generation. GIMME GIMME GIMME I WANT IT NOW NOW NOW! Have some patience for once in your life. Baby.

52. removed Dec 26, 2013, 12:21 Creston

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Dec 26, 2013, 19:40.

51. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 26, 2013, 12:07 Rigs

Well, I can happily go into 2014 knowing that nothing at Blues has changed a damn bit in all these years...People still bitch at perceived injustices against them at the slightest drop of a hat...and you know what?! That's just fine. Complain all you want about something nice that a big bad publisher decided to do for you filthy heathens, all out of the kindness of their hearts Giggle ...I still love ya anyway Smitten2 and hey! Now you even have ME bitchin' about bitchin'... So there you go! It's one glorious circle-jerk and you guys made it happen! (What?! No 'circle-jerk emoticon?! Hmph...) Grouphug Horray! *fireworks and confetti*

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

50. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Free Dec 26, 2013, 11:46 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Dec 25, 2013, 19:36:
Wasn't someone arguing with me during the SimCity debacle that steam.never has unplanned downtime?

contrary to what some here say, building capacity to fluke peaks is idiotic.

A fluke peak, sure. The Steam sales aren't a fluke peak. They know damn full well that their concurrent usage goes through the roof during the Steam sales, and yet they refuse to prepare for it. (because they know that people will just keep trying until they get through.)

It means more profit for them, but it's a shitty way to treat your customers.

Those of you who still believe that Valve/Steam cares about customer service can now gently lay that myth to rest.

I think =JpS=SgtRock has probably nailed it, it might not be enough to simply add more hardware. They're sure to lose some business over this, I nearly didn't bother to download L4D2 (which presumably they want, even though there's no money directly involved).

This is something they need to deal with should have dealt with and one would assume they're not anticipating server demands to decrease in future.

- Quboid

49. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Free Dec 26, 2013, 11:45 Mad Max RW

Really? Because I didn't have a single issue. Not quite ready to "lay that myth to rest" yet, hmm?

48. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Free Dec 26, 2013, 11:44 Creston

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Dec 25, 2013, 20:37:
I'm not a network administrator, but I would have to think that given that this happens EVERY time, regardless of organization (Valve, GOG, Blizzard, Obamacare, etc.), temporarily increasing capacity may not be as easy/economical as we are inclined to assume. When the servers are down on sale day, they are losing sales, big time, so it would behoove them to increase capacity, UNLESS it would cost more to increase capacity than they would make in the sales that they lose. Anyone here work in server operations/network administration? How easy/hard and cheap/expensive is it to increase capacity for peak usage periods?

Of course it's not economical. Valve knows that people will keep trying until they get through anyway, so why spend extra money on capacity?

As for expanding it on a temporary basis, it heavily depends on how their infrastructure is set up, but as long as you have the bandwith, it's not hard to do. You just need to increase your capacity for concurrent usage, which nowadays usually means just adding virtual servers to a cluster. How hard is that to do? It's typically a matter of clicking "deploy more servers." (I kid, but it's ridiculously simple to do. It wouldn't take an administrator more than a few hours to double the VM capacity.)

I imagine Valve hosts all the Steam clusters themselves, but if they host it under Amazon or Google, it's basically a matter of going into the management console and specifying you need 50% extra capacity for X days. And that practically scales in real time.

Having said all that, most days during the sale it's been fine. I'd only get a can't reach error once or so. But yeah, that L4D2 free today only thing broke their shit badly, and they are idiots for not seeing that coming. Why not do that bullshit AFTER the sale?

I bet the devs whose game was on sale during the day Steam went down are very, very happy with Valve.

47. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Free Dec 26, 2013, 11:39 Creston

Beamer wrote on Dec 25, 2013, 19:36:
Wasn't someone arguing with me during the SimCity debacle that steam.never has unplanned downtime?

contrary to what some here say, building capacity to fluke peaks is idiotic.

A fluke peak, sure. The Steam sales aren't a fluke peak. They know damn full well that their concurrent usage goes through the roof during the Steam sales, and yet they refuse to prepare for it. (because they know that people will just keep trying until they get through.)

It means more profit for them, but it's a shitty way to treat your customers.

46. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Free Dec 26, 2013, 11:32 =JpS=SgtRock

I'm not a network administrator, but I would have to think that given that this happens EVERY time, regardless of organization (Valve, GOG, Blizzard, Obamacare, etc.), temporarily increasing capacity may not be as easy/economical as we are inclined to assume. When the servers are down on sale day, they are losing sales, big time, so it would behoove them to increase capacity, UNLESS it would cost more to increase capacity than they would make in the sales that they lose. Anyone here work in server operations/network administration? How easy/hard and cheap/expensive is it to increase capacity for peak usage periods?

It depends on a lot of factors. Nowadays buying additional capacity for temporary peak loads from outfits like Amazon is pretty easy. Properly estimating ahead of time just how much you'll need so your cloud vendor is prepared for you is still tough, though.

Another big issue is that very few workloads are completely scalable. There's almost almost always some place where you have at least one single point of computation. Database engines for handling transactions, for example.

Then there's the fact that planning to scale your app out to a cloud vendor as necessary takes advanced planning, design, and coding. Since Steam predates the availability of cloud vendors by several years, I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that they simply can't leverage those services. Yet.

65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo