Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Passes $35 Million

A new Letter from the Chairman on the Roberts Space Industries website celebrates another funding milestone for Star Citizen, announcing the space combat game has now secured $35 million in crowd-sourced scratch. This plateau unlocks the Drake Herald and they also lay out plans for what will happen if (when?) they surpass the $37 million threshold and are still conducting voting on their $38 million stretch goal. Here's part of the post from Chris Roberts which includes thanks to everyone for supporting the dogfighting module delay, even though not everyone does:

With your enthusiasm and generosity youíre allowing the team and I to go beyond the bare minimum we knew we needed to deliver to make Star Citizen an engrossing experience. As Star Citizen is an open universe and there are so many possibilities the additional funds allow us to increase the amount of content available at the start, have more talented developers working on the various facets in parallel, which will allow us to have a richer gameplay experience from the beginning and allow us to invest in some research and development projects to keep Star Citizen ahead of the curve. Unlike a typical publisher we donít look at this initial funding as bigger profits Ė we look at as allowing us to deliver more of the dream sooner and ensure the online infrastructure and support is as full featured as possible, even during the pre-release period.

I would also like to thank each and every one for your support in my decision to delay the Dogfighting Module. I know it was disappointing for many people, and it wasnít a decision that I took lightly but after much deliberation I decided it was best for the long term health of the project.

View
62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

22. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 13:43 Creston

BadIronTree wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 13:35:
Forum Link

That's an interesting read. Thanks for linking!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 13:35 BadIronTree

Kosumo wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 13:30:
Nothing says true AAA game like a Hangar module!

From what I seen of the live stream dogfighting the other day .... nice skybox, the rest was of totally bland (and they did not seem to completly know what they where doing/streaming)

Lots of controllers (xbox?) being used too.

Dog Figthing Stream

Please read this before you start whining for no good reason ...
Forum Link
i hate it when people judge after a quick look...

20. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 13:30 Kosumo

Nothing says true AAA game like a Hangar module!

From what I seen of the live stream dogfighting the other day .... nice skybox, the rest was of totally bland (and they did not seem to completly know what they where doing/streaming)

Lots of controllers (xbox?) being used too.

Dog Figthing Stream

19. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 13:16 kanniballl

BadIronTree wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 13:05:
panbient wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 11:24:
I'm at a loss here. This just blows my mind. How can he call this milestone "allowing the team and I to go beyond the BARE MINIMUM".

They've gotten almost 20 times more money than they originally asked for. Should they have not been able to go beyond the 'bare minimum' like... oh... last year?

And yeah, that Elite: Dangerous alpha video is the bees knees.

This on the other hand just sounds more and more like a situation where you're collecting tools to make 'something' eventually - once all the tools have been purchased. Rather than buying the tools as you need them in order to construct the next piece of the plan.

Do not speak if you don't have a clue ... ..

They asked for 2 millions so they can prove to their investors that people were interested in that game!!!

If they got the money, they would give them the rest 22 millions in private funds to make it !!!

But since they do not need them any more , They are True AAA Public funded game...

So they DONT have to worry for the Investors pushing them to get it out, so they can make a quick fat profit

^^ THIS ^^

The original low-ball ask was just to get publishers and investors to agree to back the game... by showing there was still demand for a space sim.

When he realized how quickly he was gaining cash he said F--- this, we'll just fund it THIS was and not have publishers demanding we do this vs that.

That being said... it's getting insane how much the money keeps pouring in.

-

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

18. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 13:05 BadIronTree

I'm at a loss here. This just blows my mind. How can he call this milestone "allowing the team and I to go beyond the BARE MINIMUM".

They've gotten almost 20 times more money than they originally asked for. Should they have not been able to go beyond the 'bare minimum' like... oh... last year?

This on the other hand just sounds more and more like a situation where you're collecting tools to make 'something' eventually - once all the tools have been purchased. Rather than buying the tools as you need them in order to construct the next piece of the plan.

Do not speak if you don't have a clue ... ..

They asked for 2 millions so they can prove to their investors that people were interested in that game!!!

If they got the money, they would give them the rest 22 millions in private funds to make it !!!

But since they do not need them any more , They are True AAA Public funded game...

So they DONT have to worry for the Investors pushing them to get it out, so they can make a quick fat profit

17. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 12:52 Cutter

LurkerLito wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 11:15:
Just WOW! I am one of the backers of this little project, and I have to say I can't believe people are still giving money to it. I expected them to do well, but it seems unbelievable that they got this kind of money. I bet EA is kicking themselves in the rear wondering why they didn't make more Wing Commander games.

I doubt it. The end result is what they - and everyone else - is curious to see. If it turns out well they can easily bankroll something similar. If it doesn't than they dodged a major bullet.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

16. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 12:36 wtf_man

Well... It looks I should get my $20 worth for backing this.

I consider "backing" and "dumping cash" to be two different things...

My $20 was a vote... "Yeah, I'd like to see a new Wing Commander Game"
Folks spending hundreds or thousands on ships in a game that doesn't even exist yet... well... I hope you get your money's worth. Heh.

15. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 12:18 HorrorScope

Uh huh.  

14. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 12:18 Creston

Verno wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 11:23:
I know a few guys on another forum who have dropped over a grand in ships, it's believable. Keep in mind the money came from a variety of sources too.

If the game turns out to be nowhere near as cool/fun as everyone hopes it will be (and let's be honest, there's a pretty good chance of that), those people are going to be SO sick...

13. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 12:15 Creston

vroom vroom!  

12. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 12:15 kanniballl

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 11:11:
I've seen the dogfight video and to be honest Elite looks more impressive to me. Obviously it is further along the development then SC is, but also has 1/10th of the money SC gained to make a game.

My understanding is, Elite Dangerous is also privately funded... so they don't JUST have the money they've shown in the kickstarter and such... they have regular investors.

Or maybe I'm wrong.

In any case I've backed both.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

11. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 12:01 Wildone

Yep if they intend to follow thru on all the backer requests they say 'yes' too this will make GTA look like an N64 game in complexity. Seriously I dont see how they gonna pull it off. They shoulda just stuck to the space combat stuff and got that fucking EXCELLENT then moved on to other misc shit. Its gonna be a horrible mess for a long time  

10. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 11:55 Lord Tea

Wildone wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 11:45:
If you watched the live stream video of the dogfighting I could spot many a nervous face, what they are taking on to do is a GTA/ROckstar sized project of maybe bigger proportions, they are gonna need a bigger team to pull this off I think

I think they'd need at least $100 million for a GTA (V) sized project.

UPSA = United Police States of America

9. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 11:45 Wildone

If you watched the live stream video of the dogfighting I could spot many a nervous face, what they are taking on to do is a GTA/ROckstar sized project of maybe bigger proportions, they are gonna need a bigger team to pull this off I think  

8. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 11:33 Julio

It depends where he set the bare minimum, I assume that's some sort of short single player experience with the majority of the game being multiplayer microtransactions.

7. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 11:24 panbient

6. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 11:23 Verno

I know a few guys on another forum who have dropped over a grand in ships, it's believable. Keep in mind the money came from a variety of sources too.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

5. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 11:18 nin

LurkerLito wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 11:15:
I expected them to do well, but it seems unbelievable that they got this kind of money.

It does seem unbelievable. Almost like the other shoe is going to drop...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

4. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 11:15 LurkerLito

Just WOW! I am one of the backers of this little project, and I have to say I can't believe people are still giving money to it. I expected them to do well, but it seems unbelievable that they got this kind of money. I bet EA is kicking themselves in the rear wondering why they didn't make more Wing Commander games.  

3. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 11:11 SpectralMeat

I've seen the dogfight video and to be honest Elite looks more impressive to me. Obviously it is further along the development then SC is, but also has 1/10th of the money SC gained to make a game.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo