Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Passes $35 Million

A new Letter from the Chairman on the Roberts Space Industries website celebrates another funding milestone for Star Citizen, announcing the space combat game has now secured $35 million in crowd-sourced scratch. This plateau unlocks the Drake Herald and they also lay out plans for what will happen if (when?) they surpass the $37 million threshold and are still conducting voting on their $38 million stretch goal. Here's part of the post from Chris Roberts which includes thanks to everyone for supporting the dogfighting module delay, even though not everyone does:

With your enthusiasm and generosity you’re allowing the team and I to go beyond the bare minimum we knew we needed to deliver to make Star Citizen an engrossing experience. As Star Citizen is an open universe and there are so many possibilities the additional funds allow us to increase the amount of content available at the start, have more talented developers working on the various facets in parallel, which will allow us to have a richer gameplay experience from the beginning and allow us to invest in some research and development projects to keep Star Citizen ahead of the curve. Unlike a typical publisher we don’t look at this initial funding as bigger profits – we look at as allowing us to deliver more of the dream sooner and ensure the online infrastructure and support is as full featured as possible, even during the pre-release period.

I would also like to thank each and every one for your support in my decision to delay the Dogfighting Module. I know it was disappointing for many people, and it wasn’t a decision that I took lightly but after much deliberation I decided it was best for the long term health of the project.

View
62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

42. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 21:08 fujiJuice

They need to just stop it with the stretch goals, it does no one any good at this point. The projects success threatens to be its failure.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 19:47 Flatline

ElectricTurtle wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 14:47:
Considering that currently the dogfight module is currently in unreleased development pre-alpha with placeholder UI, placeholder mechanics, and is basically nothing more than a proof-of-concept testbed with only one kind of ship working, yeah, just about anything would be more impressive.

Considering that Star Citizen has been in development since 2011 and after nearly 2 years all Chris Roberts has to show for actual playable game is a proof-of-concept using placeholder UA, placeholder art assets, and placeholder game physics/rules, I would expect anything to be mildly more impressive than what just came out. Especially since apparently an entire company has been working *just* on the dogfight module.

40. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 19:40 Flatline

Ryan Lange wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 18:40:
Kosumo wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 13:30:
Nothing says true AAA game like a Hangar module!

Here's StarCraft as it appeared at E3 in 1996: Starcraft-orcs-in-space.png

What a shitty game that StarCraft is.

(Source)

Actually for the time that was pretty good graphics. The UI was based on Warcraft 2, and we've played 2 previous warcraft games from the same publisher to know basically what to expect.

39. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 18:40 Ryan Lange

Here's StarCraft as it appeared at E3 in 1996: Starcraft-orcs-in-space.png

What a shitty game that StarCraft is.

(Source)

38. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 18:36 Quinn

This game will have to become the greatest space game out there and then so much more! However demotevated I am to get the game after it's release due to big spenders pwning the little spenders, I am expecting A LOT of this game.

Perfect engine, with gorgeous visuals and great performance.
Gameplay that makes you want to send your partner off on a long vacation.
Immersion that actually makes the line between real life and virtual life shockingly vague.

Grown on these 3 pillars:

Many different ships to fly.
Many different planets to land on to explore etc.
Many different thriving galaxies with mountains of lore to collect from above mentioned planets, starports' NPCs and libraries.
An unforgettable singleplayer campaign.
Rewarding MP experience that makes you coming back day after day for years to come.

Yes.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

37. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 18:32 Luke

I think the funding IS the game Book  

36. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 17:36 kanniballl

Nathos wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 17:32:
As a dope that gave them money, I have to say that the no dogfighting module as promised is crap. Seriously, the excuse boiled down to:

"You gave us a ton of money, and we don't know how to handle all this. Our current stuff is an embarrassing mess. Here's a hangar module update where you can sorta go pew-pew at some popup targets by mounting a wacked out robot dog. Well, assuming you can make the crap holotable interface work."

In Star Citizen, even the hangar module elevators are laughing at you.

I'm OK with it running late... as a developer I understand. They miscalculated... then had the decision of "do something using off-the-shelf code from Cytek that we're never going to use and thus waste our time... or wait" They decided to wait, and I can agree with that: what's the point of testing something you're not going to use.

Meanwhile, the DFM they DID show us lacked any polish. Had they released that into the wild, with Elite Dangerous's decent single-player "alpha" they would have gotten torn apart. Every blogger or game-reviewer would have screamed FAAAAIIIILLLL in unison.

The current estimate for final product is Q1 2015. I'm expecting it to go to Q4 2015. As for the DFM, I'm patient... let them take till May or whatever.

BUT if it goes on too long then I might join the W T F crowd.

[edit]
P.S.
Holo-table and gun-tester work fine for me. It's not that intuitive and not all of teh guns work on it yet, but for me it's fine.

-

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

35. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 17:32 Nathos

As a dope that gave them money, I have to say that the no dogfighting module as promised is crap. Seriously, the excuse boiled down to:

"You gave us a ton of money, and we don't know how to handle all this. Our current stuff is an embarrassing mess. Here's a hangar module update where you can sorta go pew-pew at some popup targets by mounting a wacked out robot dog. Well, assuming you can make the crap holotable interface work."

In Star Citizen, even the hangar module elevators are laughing at you.

34. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 17:10 Cutter

SlimRam, if I had the dough, I'd fund you a ginormous capital ship where you could live out the dream of 'Sanitation Engineer 3rd Class SlimRam'. I could picture it now. In the midst of a pitched space battle a missle slams into a section of the ship exploding half the officer's latrines and only you can get in there and get it cleaned up! And all the while Kenny Loggins 'Danger Zone' is playing while you work!

Thumbsup

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

33. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 16:52 panbient

BadIronTree wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 13:05:

They asked for 2 millions so they can prove to their investors that people were interested in that game!!!

If they got the money, they would give them the rest 22 millions in private funds to make it !!!

My bad on that aspect of the initial crowd sourcing. I just remember their original public target. Either way that still leaves them with almost double their original target so why is it now only able to start being more than the bare minimum?

BadIronTree wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 13:05:
But since they do not need them any more , They are True AAA Public funded game...

So they DONT have to worry for the Investors pushing them to get it out, so they can make a quick fat profit

The lack of a 'suit' does not guarantee a greater product. If anything it guarantees a riskier development and requires even more focused discipline. Instead gamers get the dogfighting delay and new stretch goals being defined by the community. Yes, on one hand it's nice that they're involving the players. On the other it can appear as a situation where they've run out of ideas and don't know what else to add so they're just asking the crowd to decide for them. Which generally speaking doesn't result in the best choices.

Ever listen to an album by a musician who released it as a gift for the fans? To give them back everything they'd been asking for? Ever heard one that didn't suck because it lacked the original focus that made their music great rather than pandering to the public?

I REALLY hope they prove me wrong. But everything about it makes me nervous. If it goes good all gamers will benefit from seeing more AAA studios making space games. If not we'll probably never see another AAA studio even think about touching space.

32. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 15:46 NewMaxx

panbient wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 11:24:
They've gotten almost 20 times more money than they originally asked for.

Disclaimer: got no money in this game

Pretty sure he originally stated 20-23 million as the ideal goal, so no, not "20 times."

31. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 15:33 SlimRam

Creston wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 15:19:
SlimRam wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 14:02:
well, it looks like I'm off to that black market back alley organ harvesting facility that I've had my eye on. I'm guessing that if I give a kidney, a testicle, an eyeball and a lung I can probably get maybe ten thousand bucks and with this, I can invest finally in this game for which I will finally buy my own little space station which will be: 'SlimRam's Wholesale Salvage and Space Burrito Surprise Shack!'

I see you've given up on your plans to be the Ultimate Space Janitor?

Well after eatting one of my 'Space Burrito Surprises' TRUST ME, my janitorial services will be put to the test on my stations own toilets. I figure ill have like a mini contest and the rules will be:'If you can keep the space burrito down (or otherwise inside of you) until you exit my station you get your next one FREE!

I saw a hearse driving in the carpool lane the other day and I thought to myself, "That's cheating"

30. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 15:30 Creston

WaltC wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 15:15:
Schilling has to be rolling over in the ashes of his dead 38 Studios...that's fully *half* the money he borrowed from the RI state government...! Had he not so thoroughly blown his credibility with that misguided effort he would more than likely have had much better success with crowd funding. At any rate, he'd have been better off crowd sourcing either way--win or lose. At least had he not successfully crowd-funded then he'd never have wound up in hock to a clueless state government.

That's possible, but after KoA, I'm not sure that many people would have been lining up to give Schilling money. And it would never have been enough. Sure, Roberts got half of what Schilling got, but he's an absurd outlier. Every other crowdfunded game gets 4 million at most, which would have been enough to cover costs at 38 Studios for what... a week?

I still think RI should have rolled with 38 Studios for another $75M, if that's what it took

No, that's called throwing bad money after bad money. It's a fallacy of the human brain where it thinks "Well, I already spent $XX on this, so if I don't keep putting more money in, that original money is gone!" And it's a terrible fallacy.

--because, bear in mind that this wasn't just *a game* Schilling was trying to develop, it was an entire *game company* based in RI he was attempting to found,

He wasn't attempting to found it, it had already been founded. RI just thought they'd persuade Schilling to move it from Massachussets to their state and reap the 'rewards.'

a RI company that would have kept hiring and providing jobs for the tiny state for years to come.

That's what RI was hoping, yeah, but how much of that was really going to happen. When they coughed up 75 million dollars to "bring high-tech jobs to RI!" what happened was that Schilling moved the 400 people who already HAD those jobs to RI to 'take' said jobs. In the end, probably not more than a dozen local jobs were created.

For 75 million dollars, it would have been FAR cheaper to just put those 12 people on the dole for the rest of their lives.

And sure, had 38 studios been succesful, they might have hired more people. But why would those have been local hires? Is RI some sort of untapped game developer Mecca? There's nothing to indicate that those new jobs wouldn't have been filled by out-of-state hires. In fact, it's imminently more likely that that would have happened.

Considering how much in the way of entitlements RI gives away each year--that provide it no ROI whatever--and considering how many state-funded RI projects routinely go way, way over their original budgets (typical of governments everywhere), RI's reaction was pretty much the same as taking the game company *and* the $75M and just burning them both in a wheelbarrow.

Possibly. OR, they could have given Schilling another 75 million dollars and watched him blow through that in several months, and then what? Now they're on the hook for 150 million. Give out another 75 million? Then another? Where does that end? With ...profit?

Judging by every interview and editorial I've read about the whole deal, Copernicus was nowhere near ready to ship. As in: It needed several more YEARS to make it to market. At the rate Schilling was burning money, it would have cost around half a billion dollars to keep that place afloat until the MMO shipped. And how much money would a half-a-billion-dollar MMO really make? (Hint: The Star Wars one made nowhere NEAR that kind of money back. Why would Copernicus have been more succesful? In the end, remember that everything that had been done on the MMO didn't even fetch any bidders in an auction. In other words, the MMO they did have was worthless, and would probably have been a worse thing to sink money into compared to just setting said money on fire.)

Of course, burning through tax-payer money is a normal government function, anyway.

Yet here you wanted them to burn through more tax-payer money to keep Schilling's ridiculously inept studio solvent? Something doesn't add up in this entire equation.

29. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 15:19 Creston

SlimRam wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 14:02:
well, it looks like I'm off to that black market back alley organ harvesting facility that I've had my eye on. I'm guessing that if I give a kidney, a testicle, an eyeball and a lung I can probably get maybe ten thousand bucks and with this, I can invest finally in this game for which I will finally buy my own little space station which will be: 'SlimRam's Wholesale Salvage and Space Burrito Surprise Shack!'

I see you've given up on your plans to be the Ultimate Space Janitor?

28. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 15:15 WaltC

Schilling has to be rolling over in the ashes of his dead 38 Studios...that's fully *half* the money he borrowed from the RI state government...! Had he not so thoroughly blown his credibility with that misguided effort he would more than likely have had much better success with crowd funding. At any rate, he'd have been better off crowd sourcing either way--win or lose. At least had he not successfully crowd-funded then he'd never have wound up in hock to a clueless state government.

I still think RI should have rolled with 38 Studios for another $75M, if that's what it took--because, bear in mind that this wasn't just *a game* Schilling was trying to develop, it was an entire *game company* based in RI he was attempting to found, a RI company that would have kept hiring and providing jobs for the tiny state for years to come. Considering how much in the way of entitlements RI gives away each year--that provide it no ROI whatever--and considering how many state-funded RI projects routinely go way, way over their original budgets (typical of governments everywhere), RI's reaction was pretty much the same as taking the game company *and* the $75M and just burning them both in a wheelbarrow. Of course, burning through tax-payer money is a normal government function, anyway.

Got a bit side-tracked, sorry...;)

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

27. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 14:57 ItBurn

harlock wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 14:50:
BadIronTree wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 13:35:
Please read this before you start whining for no good reason ...
Forum Link
i hate it when people judge after a quick look...

yeh but how old are you? because the level of defensiveness on the part of apologists for this is just about hilarious.. crusading forth to defend the honor of this virtuous funding model and so forth - i mean, that kind of oversensitive "HATERS GONNA HATE YALL!!!!" type rhetoric is really common everywhere but in this particular case - yeh, its fucking funny as hell

but whatever, carry on

I've personally seen regular defensiveness, but out of the ordinary amounts of unfounded hate.

ElectricTurtle wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 14:47:
It's really sad that the one time a company goes out of its way to be transparent about development the gamer community shits all over everything like each build should be the finished game. This is what development looks like people... no wonder most companies keep things closed except for a few manicured screenshots and clips.

^^ this.

26. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 14:50 harlock

Forum Link

yeh but how old are you? because the level of defensiveness on the part of apologists for this is just about hilarious.. crusading forth to defend the honor of this virtuous funding model and so forth - i mean, that kind of oversensitive "HATERS GONNA HATE YALL!!!!" type rhetoric is really common everywhere but in this particular case - yeh, its fucking funny as hell

but whatever, carry on

25. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 14:47 ElectricTurtle

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 11:11:
I've seen the dogfight video and to be honest Elite looks more impressive to me. Obviously it is further along the development then SC is, but also has 1/10th of the money SC gained to make a game.

Considering that currently the dogfight module is currently in unreleased development pre-alpha with placeholder UI, placeholder mechanics, and is basically nothing more than a proof-of-concept testbed with only one kind of ship working, yeah, just about anything would be more impressive.

It's really sad that the one time a company goes out of its way to be transparent about development the gamer community shits all over everything like each build should be the finished game. This is what development looks like people... no wonder most companies keep things closed except for a few manicured screenshots and clips.

24. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 14:02 SlimRam

I saw a hearse driving in the carpool lane the other day and I thought to myself, "That's cheating"

23. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 13:45 Pr()ZaC

From what I seen of the live stream dogfighting the other day .... nice skybox, the rest was of totally bland (and they did not seem to completly know what they where doing/streaming)

Lots of controllers (xbox?) being used too.

Dog Figthing Stream

Forum Link
Watching the stream and reading past the wall of information which I'm sure gives the resident nerds a boner, I understand why CR postponed the Dogfight module. I wish all the best to the teams and to the backers.

62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo