Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Passes $35 Million

A new Letter from the Chairman on the Roberts Space Industries website celebrates another funding milestone for Star Citizen, announcing the space combat game has now secured $35 million in crowd-sourced scratch. This plateau unlocks the Drake Herald and they also lay out plans for what will happen if (when?) they surpass the $37 million threshold and are still conducting voting on their $38 million stretch goal. Here's part of the post from Chris Roberts which includes thanks to everyone for supporting the dogfighting module delay, even though not everyone does:

With your enthusiasm and generosity you’re allowing the team and I to go beyond the bare minimum we knew we needed to deliver to make Star Citizen an engrossing experience. As Star Citizen is an open universe and there are so many possibilities the additional funds allow us to increase the amount of content available at the start, have more talented developers working on the various facets in parallel, which will allow us to have a richer gameplay experience from the beginning and allow us to invest in some research and development projects to keep Star Citizen ahead of the curve. Unlike a typical publisher we don’t look at this initial funding as bigger profits – we look at as allowing us to deliver more of the dream sooner and ensure the online infrastructure and support is as full featured as possible, even during the pre-release period.

I would also like to thank each and every one for your support in my decision to delay the Dogfighting Module. I know it was disappointing for many people, and it wasn’t a decision that I took lightly but after much deliberation I decided it was best for the long term health of the project.

View
62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

62. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 25, 2013, 10:59 Luke

Tumbler wrote on Dec 24, 2013, 11:18:
Star Citizen is going to be facing many more delays. There is no way they are going to have a fully fleshed out branching high fidelity AAA single player campaign by the end of 2014. The team in Manchester UK doing the SP just now started. How the fuck are they going to develop an epic Wing Commander worthy campaign in ~12 months when they have to face the same learning curve with CryEngine 3 as the team in Austin? No fucking way.

There's even less of a way that they will launch the persistent universe with even half the announced features by then or even in early 2015. They might release some sort of beta with a couple star systems and a few ships so gamers won't go for their throats but the fully fleshed out single player campaign and the fully fleshed out PU won't be here for a looong time. Try Q4 2015 at the very earliest.

This is probably going to be very accurate. The Wingman's Hangar weekly updates have started showing the other offices recently but those were only recently setup. They might have been doing a lot of work we didn't see for the early part of 2013 but it seems like things didn't really get going until September / October. During that time, and all of 2013 really, funding goals have been getting blasted through and I think the priority has been to keep that funding coming in as fast as they can.

The Austin team is getting a new office right now, while they're out of Christmas, they are moving from a tiny basement into a real office where they can hire a lot more staff. With the massive boost in funding it's going to take time to staff out their various teams. 2 years to SQ 42 campaign seems realistic.

The Austin team is getting a new office right now,

Guess they need a new funding goal , using all there incoming money on new office , ect Book

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

61. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 24, 2013, 17:27 harlock

CURRENT STRETCH GOAL
$36,000,000
STRETCH GOAL PROGRESS
10%
UNLOCKS
Tamsa System – Located near the fringe of Banu space, Tamsa System features a massive central star that has collapsed into a black hole. Evidence suggests that there were at least two more planets in the system when the star collapsed before the ensuing black hole engulfed them. Only two planets remain in the system, a chthonian world and a gas giant located far from the black hole’s event horizon. Initial surveys indicate that the two outer planets are slowly being pulled towards the black hole, leaving the two as a risky proposition at best for any sort of colonization.

60. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 24, 2013, 12:33 HorrorScope

Beelzebud wrote on Dec 24, 2013, 00:28:
As for crowd-funding, I'm done. Not one game I backed has been released, even though a couple of them were supposed to be out by now.

This was an experiment of who's more at fault with late/unfinished games. Devs or Publishers? Right now Devs in the lead.

59. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 24, 2013, 11:18 Tumbler

Star Citizen is going to be facing many more delays. There is no way they are going to have a fully fleshed out branching high fidelity AAA single player campaign by the end of 2014. The team in Manchester UK doing the SP just now started. How the fuck are they going to develop an epic Wing Commander worthy campaign in ~12 months when they have to face the same learning curve with CryEngine 3 as the team in Austin? No fucking way.

There's even less of a way that they will launch the persistent universe with even half the announced features by then or even in early 2015. They might release some sort of beta with a couple star systems and a few ships so gamers won't go for their throats but the fully fleshed out single player campaign and the fully fleshed out PU won't be here for a looong time. Try Q4 2015 at the very earliest.

This is probably going to be very accurate. The Wingman's Hangar weekly updates have started showing the other offices recently but those were only recently setup. They might have been doing a lot of work we didn't see for the early part of 2013 but it seems like things didn't really get going until September / October. During that time, and all of 2013 really, funding goals have been getting blasted through and I think the priority has been to keep that funding coming in as fast as they can.

The Austin team is getting a new office right now, while they're out of Christmas, they are moving from a tiny basement into a real office where they can hire a lot more staff. With the massive boost in funding it's going to take time to staff out their various teams. 2 years to SQ 42 campaign seems realistic.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

58. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 24, 2013, 06:59 Luke

InBlack wrote on Dec 24, 2013, 04:02:
How does White Knighting for Chris Roberts help make Star Citizen a better game?? I have yet to play a game where hype and 'positive' attitude helped make that game better. How is hype in any way better or more useful than constructive criticism??? Can anyone name one game where the above question is answered directly?

None can they are all blinded by the " promises"

57. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 24, 2013, 04:38 El Pit

Julio wrote on Dec 24, 2013, 04:11:
SlimRam wrote on Dec 24, 2013, 01:53:
SlimRam: "Uhhh....hel...hello...uh this is the Chief Sanitation Engineer....um......yeah...uh....also....toilet number 4 in the officers latrine, she took a direct hit to the bowl and she's leaking fluid bad. I might be able to nurse her along but the situation is critical!"

I don't see why they can't add space toilets as the next stretch goal. They're throwing everything in but the kitchen sink at this point. You should send this in as a suggestion

All the delay does is allow for more time to raise funds and create a bigger game. I'm fine with them taking a decade if they need to.

No space station and no big ships without accountants! New stretch goal: new profession (accountant/clerk). Take the real tough job besides the janitors and become an accountant! Imagine the fun! It could even be in the hangar, like taking taxes and landing fees. Oh, the fun!

EDIT:
During the battle
Computer voice: RED ALERT!
Captains voice on the InCom: We're being boarded! Shields are down! Hull breached!
Accountant: ...and we're low on tax form 1138! Some of them are burnt! And someone needs to receive the landing fees from their boarding ships! THIS IS AN EMERGENCY! Accountants to the landing bay!

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

56. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 24, 2013, 04:11 Julio

SlimRam wrote on Dec 24, 2013, 01:53:
SlimRam: "Uhhh....hel...hello...uh this is the Chief Sanitation Engineer....um......yeah...uh....also....toilet number 4 in the officers latrine, she took a direct hit to the bowl and she's leaking fluid bad. I might be able to nurse her along but the situation is critical!"

I don't see why they can't add space toilets as the next stretch goal. They're throwing everything in but the kitchen sink at this point. You should send this in as a suggestion

All the delay does is allow for more time to raise funds and create a bigger game. I'm fine with them taking a decade if they need to.

55. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 24, 2013, 04:02 InBlack

How does White Knighting for Chris Roberts help make Star Citizen a better game?? I have yet to play a game where hype and 'positive' attitude helped make that game better. How is hype in any way better or more useful than constructive criticism??? Can anyone name one game where the above question is answered directly?  

I have a nifty blue line!

54. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 24, 2013, 03:10 Esoteric

I'm rooting for them. Just for the sake of a good space sim, and for a monetarily AAA game supported by fans that's a success. So far the only kickstarter/early access game I've got is Grim Dawn, and the first act is promising. I'm sure it will take them a while to finish it, but I don't think I will regret it by any measure.  

53. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 24, 2013, 02:51 harlock

Creston wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 15:19:
I see you've given up on your plans to be the Ultimate Space Janitor?

Roger Wilco already got that covered

52. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 24, 2013, 02:21 BadIronTree

fujiJuice wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 21:08:
They need to just stop it with the stretch goals, it does no one any good at this point. The projects success threatens to be its failure.

I think they have stopped... We now vote of what planet/system you are interested and every time the first is chosen and the last is eliminated

(marketing Research? )

51. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 24, 2013, 02:17 BadIronTree

Flatline wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 19:47:
ElectricTurtle wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 14:47:
Considering that currently the dogfight module is currently in unreleased development pre-alpha with placeholder UI, placeholder mechanics, and is basically nothing more than a proof-of-concept testbed with only one kind of ship working, yeah, just about anything would be more impressive.

Considering that Star Citizen has been in development since 2011 and after nearly 2 years all Chris Roberts has to show for actual playable game is a proof-of-concept using placeholder UA, placeholder art assets, and placeholder game physics/rules, I would expect anything to be mildly more impressive than what just came out. Especially since apparently an entire company has been working *just* on the dogfight module.

So 2-3 people making a prototype with 3 ships and choosing Game engine is Development in your eyes ? (that was in the kick-starter video)
Development started 1 year ago...

50. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 24, 2013, 01:53 SlimRam

Cutter wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 17:10:
SlimRam, if I had the dough, I'd fund you a ginormous capital ship where you could live out the dream of 'Sanitation Engineer 3rd Class SlimRam'. I could picture it now. In the midst of a pitched space battle a missle slams into a section of the ship exploding half the officer's latrines and only you can get in there and get it cleaned up! And all the while Kenny Loggins 'Danger Zone' is playing while you work!

Thumbsup

Rotfl Hehehe I can see it so clear:

Captain: "I need a damage report people!"

Engineering: "Shields are down to 30%! We have hull ruptures on decks 5 and 6 and the anti-matter reactor is off line.......and OFCOURSE we have a goddamn coolant leak!"

*You hear tapping and then blowing into a mic like at the grocery store across the intercom system and then high pitched feedback*

Captain whispering to his second in command: "Remind me to fire that idiot when we get back to starbase"

They always say that everyone's good at something...

I just have to find the right kind of place that appreciates nude juggling of a midget, a hand grenade, and a porcupine while playing the kazoo and riding a unicycle backwards without a seat

49. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 24, 2013, 01:09 Sepharo

Beelzebud wrote on Dec 24, 2013, 00:28:
I'll buy it when/if it comes out.

As for crowd-funding, I'm done. Not one game I backed has been released, even though a couple of them were supposed to be out by now.

I got FTL, Leisure Suit Larry, Shadowrun, Ravaged, Grim Dawn.
And very soon the beta of Broken Age Part 1 starring Elijah Wood, Wil Wheaton, and Jack Black

48. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 24, 2013, 00:28 Beelzebud

I'll buy it when/if it comes out.

47. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 23:48 {PH}88fingers

the game will not be released next year.
In one of those latest streams you hear him say '2 years' still.

So this game will be out sometime near end of 2015.

I don't mind, I can wait. As long as the game is good.

46. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 23:37 Task

Boy Star Citizen sure does gain the most comments, haha. I'm rooting for it.

Many different types of space simmy games being made, hopefully they all make it:

Star Citizen
Elite: Dangerous
No Man's Sky
Starpoint Gemini 2 (freelancer type sim)
Limit Theory
Skyjacker
Rodina (retro space sim)
Rogue System (rogue-like 3D Space Sim)
Enemy Starfighter (watch this video right NAU )
Eve Valkyrie
Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages (not a true space sim, but cool nonetheless)

The Space Sim Revival Has Begun

Too bad X Rebirth was a let down (although there are modders right now banding together to make an overhaul for XRebirth, some of made the famous huge overhauls for X3Albion)

45. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 23:33 CJ_Parker

Kosumo wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 23:17:
How long till the DFM do you guess CJ Parker?

Cos that delay was so as to speed the whole project up apperantly?

I don't know and it depends. If they have to build their own net code from scratch starting in January and then launch the DFM with the Hornet (the most advanced ship in development currently) and Hornet vs. Hornet combat only, well, it might be as "early" as late February or March?
I don't believe that they can finish anything resembling the level of quality that Chris Roberts seems to be aiming for (as per his DFM delay letter) any time sooner than that.

I'm curious to see what will happen after that. While they have patched up the hangar module some since its release it is still in a fairly horrible state in my opinion (e.g. no official support for common resolutions like 2560x1440, no options for tuning the visuals, no AA, bad lighting, poor character animations, wonky/glitchy camera, massive clipping issues, texture flickering and the list goes on...).
So what will happen to the DFM? Will it be more or less abandoned like the hangar as they focus on the next module and then the next and so on...? And in the end? They gonna glue it all together for one massively mediocre pile of shit? Hmmm...

44. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 23:17 Kosumo

How long till the DFM do you guess CJ Parker?

Cos that delay was so as to speed the whole project up apperantly?

43. Re: Star Citizen Passes $35 Million Dec 23, 2013, 22:42 CJ_Parker

Flatline wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 19:47:
ElectricTurtle wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 14:47:
Considering that currently the dogfight module is currently in unreleased development pre-alpha with placeholder UI, placeholder mechanics, and is basically nothing more than a proof-of-concept testbed with only one kind of ship working, yeah, just about anything would be more impressive.

Considering that Star Citizen has been in development since 2011 and after nearly 2 years all Chris Roberts has to show for actual playable game is a proof-of-concept using placeholder UA, placeholder art assets, and placeholder game physics/rules, I would expect anything to be mildly more impressive than what just came out. Especially since apparently an entire company has been working *just* on the dogfight module.

Chris Roberts did some concept, visualization and demo stuff to have something to show for the KS campaign. That stuff was only visualization for demo purposes though and except for Chris Roberts himself only a couple other guys worked on that stuff.

The real development of the actual game started in January 2013 when they began to put the team together. Since talent didn't just rain down from the sky you could probably say that near full development didn't even happen before March or maybe even later.

We learned from videos recorded for the second 24h live stream which took place in May that many of the devs were facing a steep learning curve with regard to CryEngine.

It doesn't surprise me personally in the least that they don't have nothing to show yet. And this is Chris "Delay" Roberts after all. Remember the Origin days when Chris and co were the laughing stock of the gaming scene whenever they announced a date? Or Freelancer? They had to take Chris Roberts off the lead position to save that game. He got degraded to a mere consultant so other people could wrap up the long overdue mess.

62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo