Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Festivus pole? Check. Airing of grievances? Check. Feats of strength? Check! And just to be safe, while I'm waiting for a Festivus miracle I think I'll make a donation to the Human Fund. Happy Festivus everybody!

Miraculous Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Zombies Ate My Motherland.
Links: FestivusWeb.com.
OED birthday word generator- which words originated in your birth year?
CARDBOARD BOX OFFICE. Thanks Boing Boing.
Media: Not For Astronauts.... Thanks Krovven.
David Suzuki speaks about overpopulation.

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

50. Re: Into the Black Dec 24, 2013, 16:59 Creston

nin wrote on Dec 24, 2013, 11:44:
On sheridan, between 41st and 51st...early/mid 90s. They also had some sort of weird pressure deal right before hand, that broke a lot of windows on cars. Really weird storm.

I wasn't here at the time, but I think I heard about it. That had to have been scary as all hell.

I was working in the Level 3 building (Wiltel building at the time) when that vertical pressure burst, or whatever it's called, blew out all the windows across 15 floors on their NE corner. We get some strange crap going on here.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 24, 2013, 11:55 Redmask

Julio wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 20:40:
So why does David Suzuki have 5 children if he thinks there's an overpopulation problem? And he has 4 homes, yet the rest of us should have a small carbon footprint. So let's add he's a hypocrite to the list.

Freeloader = decades of making money from being on TV paid by taxpayer dollars. Also add his political 'non-profit foundation' which he had to eventually resign from because of it breaking non-profit rules.

Crackpot = most of his theories. I'm not going to bother to list them all, but google has plenty of examples where his claims didn't end up happening.

I don't think it's 4 homes. He owns 4 properties, one of which is co-owned by an oil company and another is an 8 million dollar mansion in downtown Vancouver. He's obviously very concerned about the environment. I remember him at some protests a few years ago condemning corporations and talking about how people should be aware of their carbon footprint. Right or wrong on this issue the guy is a complete hypocrite which undermines his credibility.

48. Re: Into the Black Dec 24, 2013, 11:44 nin

Creston wrote on Dec 24, 2013, 11:40:
nin wrote on Dec 24, 2013, 08:38:
And in all the time I've lived here, none of those tornadoes have come close to my property.

You're lucky. I've had a couple of close calls, and one in particular where I thought I was going to die. Ripped part of the roof off the two story building I was in, as we huddled under the stairs on the ground floor...

Damn, dude... Where was that?

On sheridan, between 41st and 51st...early/mid 90s. They also had some sort of weird pressure deal right before hand, that broke a lot of windows on cars. Really weird storm.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

47. Re: Into the Black Dec 24, 2013, 11:40 Creston

nin wrote on Dec 24, 2013, 08:38:
And in all the time I've lived here, none of those tornadoes have come close to my property.

You're lucky. I've had a couple of close calls, and one in particular where I thought I was going to die. Ripped part of the roof off the two story building I was in, as we huddled under the stairs on the ground floor...

Damn, dude... Where was that?

46. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 24, 2013, 09:05 Mr. Tact

I'd say I haven't been unlucky. Most people who live their lives in the Mid-west never get tornado damage to their property.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

45. Re: Into the Black Dec 24, 2013, 08:38 nin

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

44. Re: Into the Black Dec 24, 2013, 08:17 Mr. Tact

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 24, 2013, 03:08:
As a Native Californian, I would GLADLY trade winter and summer humidity AND tornado's for earthquakes. Earthquakes are over before you even know it started, where as when ya hear a tornado siren ya got maybe a min or 2 to get your shit and get to cover.

Trapped on a island?!? Are you nuts? 1)your now on a island 2)your property value just went through the roof!

To each their own.

I've lived in the Mid-west for 37 of the last 41 years. At least I know when the tornado is a danger to me, can't say that for earthquakes. And in all the time I've lived here, none of those tornadoes have come close to my property. And even if one had, I am confident the only way I'll be killed by a tornado, is if it comes in the middle of the night and the sirens don't wake me.

Those other four years I lived in the South, and frankly -- I didn't particularly care for it being warm in the winter. Winter is what makes Spring so great. That it can be 50 degrees and you feel like it is very warm.

Yes, trapped on the island. Have you lived on one? Even as a child ages 6-10, when I lived in Hawaii I "felt" the fact we couldn't drive away. We were stuck there. Granted, you aren't "really" stuck, but it's a convenience thing. Currently if I want to travel to another state, I can jump in my car and go. Not an option in Hawaii.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

43. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 24, 2013, 04:34 jdreyer

@ Cutter.

Exactly, Malthus produced his thesis in 1798 and it turned out wrong. THAT's what everyone in the 60s knew. He had his kids during the baby boom period, the greatest period of economic equality and expansion the US has ever seen. No one recognized this as a problem. If you have links that show otherwise, please post them. Also, there were other things dominating the political sphere at the time: Vietnam, civil rights, feminism, Great Society, JFK-RFK-MLK assassinations, etc. etc. This was not in the general scientific consciousness, and it's unreasonable to expect him to consider this at that time.

As for paying taxes, there are lots of people that *could* be donating money to the gov't like Gates and Buffet, but do not, instead donating to charities where they have more control over what they spend.

Your parents' decision is a non sequitur: they driven completely by self interest: they didn't have the money. In which case you'd be fine with Suzuki having dozens of children since he had plenty of cash to support them. That's different than saying your parent's had only one child out of environmental concern. But that's the standard you're holding DS to, calling him hypocritical. Just like Al Gore is for being fat.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

42. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 24, 2013, 04:06 Julio

jdreyer wrote on Dec 24, 2013, 03:35:
Also, too: Al Gore is fat, so we can ignore what he says about global warming.

Al Gore has a business based on being pro-global warming doesn't he? Not sure what his weight has to do with that.

41. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 24, 2013, 03:46 Cutter

Oh please, JD. Malthus produced his theory in 1798. Something that someone like Suzuki would have easily been aware of, particularly as a biologist. Even barring that the whole "zero earth" movement was well under way by the point he was growing up, never mind of reproductive age. No, this is a solid point in Julio's favour that Suzuki was a hypocrite. In fact, he probably knew better than most which is what makes this sort of posturing really offensive. Yeah, as Verno said, 'do as I say and not as I do'. I hold every right-wing asshole to that, I'm sure as hell not going to excuse the left for it. If anything, given their posturing, they should be held to a higher standard. He knew, he did it anyway, but now it's all 'Blah blah blah, everyone needs to be responsible...except me.' You know what real responsibility would be in this case? Not only denying tax credits for having kids, but paying more taxes to make up for the burden they place on society? Ever see Dave volunteering that? Nope.

Hell, even my parents - my mom at least - realized that, blue collar wretches that they were - they couldn't afford more than 1 kid and they stopped. At least my mom did. My dad, bring the irresponsible prick he was, went on to sire several more children he wasn't equipped to handle, emotionally or financially. Hence my loathing of irresponsible breeders. And this is the state of most breeders today.

Where's the Grand Marshall of the Underverse when you need him to take us to the threshold?

This comment was edited on Dec 24, 2013, 03:55.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

40. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 24, 2013, 03:35 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 23:23:
So why does David Suzuki have 5 children if he thinks there's an overpopulation problem? And he has 4 homes, yet the rest of us should have a small carbon footprint.

Hahaha oh man that's classic, I had no idea. Do as I say, not as I do apparently.

This is bullshit. David's children were all born in the 60s and 70s, well before most people recognized this was a problem. In fact, the few predictions of gloom and doom that had been made (for example, Malthus) had proven woefully incorrect since food production deficiencies were over come through science. It was a time of great optimism, misplaced we now know, with a faith that science could solve all problems. One can hardly blame him. Were he 40 years younger, he'd probably take the position that McKibben has taken: have only one.

Also, too: Al Gore is fat, so we can ignore what he says about global warming.

39. Re: Into the Black Dec 24, 2013, 03:08 The Half Elf

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 14:41:
BobBob wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 14:39:
I'm puzzled why anyone would choose live anywhere else rather than California or Hawaii.
Earthquakes, don't want to be trapped on an island.

As a Native Californian, I would GLADLY trade winter and summer humidity AND tornado's for earthquakes. Earthquakes are over before you even know it started, where as when ya hear a tornado siren ya got maybe a min or 2 to get your shit and get to cover.

Trapped on a island?!? Are you nuts? 1)your now on a island 2)your property value just went through the roof!

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

38. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2013, 23:23 Verno

So why does David Suzuki have 5 children if he thinks there's an overpopulation problem? And he has 4 homes, yet the rest of us should have a small carbon footprint.

Hahaha oh man that's classic, I had no idea. Do as I say, not as I do apparently.

Playing: Far Cry 4, Prison Architect, DriveClub
Watching: Tusk, The Equalizer, The Homesman

37. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2013, 22:58 Creston

Acleacius wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 21:36:
Your so much more articulate and informative, like a julioipedia of intelligence.

If you want to make fun of someone's intelligence, it helps if you use the proper version of you're/your. (hint: The one you used wasn't the proper one.)

Kudos for Juliopedia though. That was pretty clever.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2013, 21:36 Acleacius

NegaDeath wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 11:42:
-51C with windchill today. Its almost like nature WANTS me to stay in on my day off and work through my gaming backlog. And who am I to argue with nature?
Holy mother of Windchills!

Julio wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 11:30:
David Suzuki is a freeloading crackpot.
Your so much more articulate and informative, like a julioipedia of intelligence.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

35. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2013, 21:03 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 20:54:
And again, he's right on this. The rest of the world should have been following China's one child policy decades ago. What have I been saying forever now? That reproduction should be a state sanctioned event. Far too many breeders out there turning the world into an Idiocracy.

Given the amount of responsibility and training involved, you ought to need a permit first.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2013, 20:54 Cutter

Cutter wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 13:01:

No he's not and you know it. I don't always agree with him but he's right about a lot of stuff, and this in particular.

So why does David Suzuki have 5 children if he thinks there's an overpopulation problem? And he has 4 homes, yet the rest of us should have a small carbon footprint. So let's add he's a hypocrite to the list.

Freeloader = decades of making money from being on TV paid by taxpayer dollars. Also add his political 'non-profit foundation' which he had to eventually resign from because of it breaking non-profit rules.

Crackpot = most of his theories. I'm not going to bother to list them all, but google has plenty of examples where his claims didn't end up happening.

Oh I agree, with him being a hypocrite. Freeloader? Not so much. He's made plenty on his own. And crackpot? Sorry, where did you earn your PhD again? Political and bit of an alarmist to make a point sure, but not a crackpot.

And again, he's right on this. The rest of the world should have been following China's one child policy decades ago. What have I been saying forever now? That reproduction should be a state sanctioned event. Far too many breeders out there turning the world into an Idiocracy.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

33. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2013, 20:40 Julio

Cutter wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 13:01:

No he's not and you know it. I don't always agree with him but he's right about a lot of stuff, and this in particular.

32. Re: Into the Black Dec 23, 2013, 20:06 jdreyer

Longswd wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 19:47:
David Suzuki speaks about overpopulation

As right as he is in this clip, still he is horribly wrong. He focuses on treating the symptoms of the disease and not the disease itself. His solution would only accelerate the problem.

The disease is overpopulation, the symptom is the resultant hunger/famine. The cure is one child per couple till the population falls to a sustainable level and is stabilized.

Of course, you will never see any scientist with a nice position say that as messing with peoples reproductive capability is a serious taboo subject. The die-back when it occurs, is going to be a thing of horror.

I didn't see Suzuki offering any specific remedies, just talking about the problem and its consequences. Also, he pointed out that further efficiencies in food production would fail to address the issue. I agree a one-child policy is a good one if uniformly enforced (which it wasn't in China, which is why their population has grown from 800M to 1.2B over the 30 years of the one-child policy). The problem is how to get 250 different sovereign gov'ts to agree, esp when many of those gov'ts have a tenuous control of their citizens to begin with.

Also, education and raising the living standards are two proven methods of reducing population expansion, so there's the first place we should be putting our resources.

31. Re: Into the Black Dec 23, 2013, 20:00 jdreyer

Efflixi wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 19:34:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 17:49:
@Efflixi

1. Some ads are dynamic based on your web history, I think although some are static. But you might be getting an ad no one else is based on your history. I've not seen that problem on the site.

2. Would help if you provided more info: OS ver, browser ver, mem amt, proc type & speed, other apps open simultaneously, etc.

3. What happens in Firefox? IE? Opera? Same behavior?

Windows 7
16GB
Core i7 2600k @ 4.4GHz
Usually no other apps open
I only use Chrome, no other browsers

I agree with nin that Flash is probably the culprit (had originally intended to put that in line 2, but forgot). Uninstall and reinstall flash for chrome. If it still occurs try it in FF. If FF is fine, and a flash reinstall / updated doesn't fix it, reinstall Chrome. I use Chrome for Blues exclusively, and haven't seen the issue you describe.

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo