Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

New DayZ dawn in the list of the 10 bestselling games on Steam for last week:

1. DayZ
  2. Starbound
  3. Rust
  4. The Walking Dead: Season Two
  5. BioShock Triple Pack
  6. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  7. Batman: Arkham Origins
  8. METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE
  9. BioShock Infinite
  10. The Stanley Parable

View
80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 22, 2013, 17:04 Krovven

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 22, 2013, 16:51:
If nothing else, you can get 15 minutes of gameplay footage and discussion of issues it has. Skip to the last couple minutes for a quicker wrap-up of his impressions.

Aye, even at the 7 minute mark, that guy talks about how because it's so similar to WarZ, it will probably end up being the same, where players simply resort to shooting each other on sight because there is no reason not to. There are benefits for killing players. There are no benefits for not killing players.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 22, 2013, 16:57 Krovven

While the term reskin may be a little inaccurate, it's pretty obvious they copied many features/functions directly while making zero attempt to improve upon them, or even do them in their own way.

And as discussed in the other thread, his criticism of the PvP in these games is entirely valid. What's the point of spending time building a character to survive the zombie apocalypse, only to be sniped by someone picking off other players for the hell of it with zero consequence?

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 22, 2013, 16:51 jacobvandy

I trust this guy more, he didn't like War Z much but he played it a lot and says emphatically that Nether is very, very similar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24CIoELgaIA

If nothing else, you can get 15 minutes of gameplay footage and discussion of issues it has. Skip to the last couple minutes for a quicker wrap-up of his impressions.

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 22, 2013, 16:02 Jerykk

Wallshadows wrote on Dec 22, 2013, 14:28:
Krovven wrote on Dec 22, 2013, 14:13:
Don't buy Nether...incase you missed it the other day...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNIWLJIG-sk

Awesome, I was looking to see if TotalBiscuit did a WTF is... video but didn't find any so this is a great find.

Thanks!

I wouldn't be so quick to trust that review. For one, the guy clearly doesn't like the genre. He complains about DayZ as well and criticizes the fact that PvP is so prominent in these types of games.

Secondly, I don't think Nether is a reskin of WarZ. There are similarities, sure, but there are also similarities between WarZ and Dayz. That's typically what happens when games share the same genre.

Don't get me wrong, Nether may very well be a shitty game but the guy in that video doesn't seem like the most impartial reviewer.

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 22, 2013, 15:57 Mashiki Amiketo

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 22, 2013, 14:38:

It is huge in the Asia/Pacific area isn't it? Cafes and what not I assume?
Yeah it's huge in APC, but cafe's aren't what they used to be in terms of driving the numbers. And with it being break time for a lot of universities too, you'll see a huge upswing in the numbers.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 22, 2013, 15:08 jacobvandy

That's not the mod on the Steam stats, it shows up as ARMA 2: OA, though most people don't launch it through Steam anyway. The mod, that is; the standalone game uses Steamworks.

Like they used to show stats for the mod, the official website is where they list how many unique players there are: http://www.dayzgame.com/

BTW, Nether is (apparently, so I've heard) just a re-skinned The War Z AKA Infestation: Survivor Stories. That company is just full of lazy, exploitative assholes, trying to copy-cat the copy-cats. If they're not the same people, that is. Then it's just business as usual for those crooks.

This comment was edited on Dec 22, 2013, 15:29.

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 22, 2013, 14:39 MoreLuckThanSkill

Wallshadows wrote on Dec 22, 2013, 13:51:
I was pretty close to picking up Nether but decided to get Far Cry 3 instead. The only other thing I picked up during this sale was the Warframe initiate pack for $10.

Far Cry 3, even with the hassle of Uplay, is a really good game. Not quite great, but easily playable. I have cleared all the radio towers and enemy bases, as well as all the side quests, going to finish up the main quest in the next couple of days. Easily worth the 7.49 or whatever I paid for it during the thanksgiving sale.

Nether... I would avoid. Watch that Worth Buying youtube review for reasons why, but it looks like something I wouldn't buy, personally.

*EDIT* Whoops Krovven beat me to it.

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 22, 2013, 14:38 xXBatmanXx

Cutter wrote on Dec 22, 2013, 14:24:
jacobvandy wrote on Dec 22, 2013, 14:01:
I don't know if they've been releasing updated figures on exact sales, but at least 380k people have bought DayZ so far (that's how many have played it). At $30 a pop, that's approacing $12 million in revenue... I think any other game on Steam would be hard pressed to reach that level, even during the holiday sale. Try to fathom how many copies of CS:GO would have to sell at $3.75 to beat that.

Where do you see they've sold that many copies? All I see are current players in which case they're way down there.

Current Players Peak Today Game

506,467 651,640 Dota 2
59,448 88,315 Team Fortress 2
43,913 76,822 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
33,785 57,249 Sid Meier's Civilization V
30,400 49,415 Football Manager 2014
30,232 48,948 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
23,770 37,640 Counter-Strike
22,628 42,614 DayZ
21,037 36,851 Starbound
18,200 28,736 Counter-Strike: Source

And that doesn't even state if it's the mod or not. But holy shit, that many people are playing DOTA2? Cereal?

It is huge in the Asia/Pacific area isn't it? Cafes and what not I assume?

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 22, 2013, 14:28 Wallshadows

Krovven wrote on Dec 22, 2013, 14:13:

Awesome, I was looking to see if TotalBiscuit did a WTF is... video but didn't find any so this is a great find.

Thanks!

It says on your chart that you're fucked up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 22, 2013, 14:24 Cutter

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 22, 2013, 14:01:
I don't know if they've been releasing updated figures on exact sales, but at least 380k people have bought DayZ so far (that's how many have played it). At $30 a pop, that's approacing $12 million in revenue... I think any other game on Steam would be hard pressed to reach that level, even during the holiday sale. Try to fathom how many copies of CS:GO would have to sell at $3.75 to beat that.

Where do you see they've sold that many copies? All I see are current players in which case they're way down there.

Current Players Peak Today Game

506,467 651,640 Dota 2
59,448 88,315 Team Fortress 2
43,913 76,822 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
33,785 57,249 Sid Meier's Civilization V
30,400 49,415 Football Manager 2014
30,232 48,948 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
23,770 37,640 Counter-Strike
22,628 42,614 DayZ
21,037 36,851 Starbound
18,200 28,736 Counter-Strike: Source

And that doesn't even state if it's the mod or not. But holy shit, that many people are playing DOTA2? Cereal?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 22, 2013, 14:13 Krovven

Wallshadows wrote on Dec 22, 2013, 13:51:
I was pretty close to picking up Nether but decided to get Far Cry 3 instead. The only other thing I picked up during this sale was the Warframe initiate pack for $10.

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 22, 2013, 14:01 jacobvandy

netnerd85 wrote on Dec 22, 2013, 13:17:
peteham wrote on Dec 22, 2013, 12:14:
Haven't bought a single game yet this sale. Figured I'd pick up Deponia yesterday, but nope, "you already own this game".. Alrighty, then! I think I may have finally done it: I've bought everything.
If I work hard and live to be a hundred, I may get around to playing about 1 in 4.
Lol, I haven't tried to re-buy a game but I know what you mean... this sale is actually really bad, DayZ has not been knocked off the top. DayZ is not that good FFS, so the sale must be that bad.

I bought CS:GO from Green Man Gaming... I don't know why

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 22, 2013, 13:54 xXBatmanXx

I WONDER IF BIOSHOCK INFINITE OR THE STANLEY PARABLE WOULD HAVE CAPITALIZED ALL OF THEIR LETTERS IF THEY WOULD HAVE BEAT metal gear rising: revengeance.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 22, 2013, 13:52 Frijoles

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 22, 2013, 13:18:
I have stuff in my steam library I know I will never get around to playing, let alone finishing.

I had/have this problem also. A couple months ago, I decided to go through my entire library and give each game I haven't played at least 10 minutes. After getting through A-C games, I realized something. There's a LOT of really bad games out there. And I paid money for them. Someday I will finish my quest of playing them all.

6. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 22, 2013, 13:51 Wallshadows

It says on your chart that you're fucked up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

5. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 22, 2013, 13:42 JohnBirshire

I am really looking forward to DayZ, but I am going to wait until the official release. I don't even like beta testing games, bugs/glitches/exploits galore doesn't appeal to me whatsoever, couldn't imagine alpha testing it.  

4. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 22, 2013, 13:18 MoreLuckThanSkill

• peteham wrote on Dec 22, 2013, 12:14:
    Haven't bought a single game yet this sale. Figured I'd pick up Deponia yesterday, but nope, "you already own this game".. Alrighty, then! I think I may have finally done it: I've bought everything.
    If I work hard and live to be a hundred, I may get around to playing about 1 in 4.

The only solution is to quit your job, and move your cardboard box near a wifi spot and outlet. Good luck finishing your games!

I think everybody is guilty of buying too many steam sale games at this point. I have stuff in my steam library I know I will never get around to playing, let alone finishing.

3. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 22, 2013, 13:17 netnerd85

peteham wrote on Dec 22, 2013, 12:14:
    Lol, I haven't tried to re-buy a game but I know what you mean... this sale is actually really bad, DayZ has not been knocked off the top. DayZ is not that good FFS, so the sale must be that bad.

I bought CS:GO from Green Man Gaming... I don't know why

2. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 22, 2013, 13:15 Cutter

Yeah, not one buy anywhere yet. I spose it's too early for most of my wishlist stuff to come down to prices I want.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

1. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 22, 2013, 12:14 peteham

80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo