Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

New DayZ dawn in the list of the 10 bestselling games on Steam for last week:

1. DayZ
  2. Starbound
  3. Rust
  4. The Walking Dead: Season Two
  5. BioShock Triple Pack
  6. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  7. Batman: Arkham Origins
  8. METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE
  9. BioShock Infinite
  10. The Stanley Parable

View
80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

60. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2013, 12:26 goatee21

Creston wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 12:20:
goatee21 wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 11:01:
SO....it doesn't attach my comment to who I'm replying obviously lol. Sorry all, I was replying to individual posts while I read them.

It's easiest to just use the Quote feature.

AHA!!!!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

59. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2013, 12:20 Creston

SO....it doesn't attach my comment to who I'm replying obviously lol. Sorry all, I was replying to individual posts while I read them.

It's easiest to just use the Quote feature.

58. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2013, 11:03 nin

Thread view will show it, but flat won't...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

57. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2013, 11:01 goatee21

56. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2013, 10:59 goatee21

There IS a bonus for grouping and cooperating, YOU DON"T GET GRIEFED.

Seriously everyone complaining about griefing, these games are obviously not for you. THE ENTIRE POINT OF THESE GAMES IS PVP.

55. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2013, 10:57 goatee21

Rust will let you buy a server and mess with lots of rules. YOu can even turn pvp off. You will then find that you are QUICKLY bored because the zombies aren't really a threat and you are now playing a different version of minecraft. If you don't like pvp these kind of games just plain aren't for you.
CHEATING is a different story all together.

54. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2013, 10:56 goatee21

You drink until your stomache is FULL (you know, you don't feel like drinking anymore????) then you are good to go.  

53. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2013, 10:04 Darks

DayZ is living off the memory and hype from the mod. Iíve read too far to much negativity and complaints from others in the steam forums that the mod is way better than the Alpha. There is such a things as releasing something too early that can cause a bad vibe for a game. I think thatís happening now with DayZ. Especially since they are saying still a year away from beta.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

52. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2013, 09:47 MajorD

Yup, the project went into overtime and over budget....OH CRAP, what do we do? Ahhh....let's put up on Steam as Alpha for more cash flow to keep the project going.

They'll run out of time and money again and throw it up as a finished game for more cash flow, and then just patch/finish the game from there.

51. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2013, 08:36 Verno

I've only tried DayZ but I found the controls way more annoying than any griefers.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

50. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2013, 08:29 SpectralMeat

gray wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 08:25:
The devs have stated it's at least a year from Beta.
Wow that is a long time.
I wonder how many games will beat them to the punch by the time they release it.
Not to mention how dated the Arma2 engine will look in 2015! They should have used the Arma3 engine at least.

This comment was edited on Dec 23, 2013, 08:34.

Steam: SpectralMeat

49. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2013, 08:25 gray

DayZ is at early Alpha status, meaning that it currently has many core gameplay mechanics missing. It is not a final game, reviewing/judging the game at this point is like saying Star Citizen trading is rubbish because you've played with the Hangar module.

There will be many reasons to group up, more zombies, player bases etc. It really is barebones at the moment. Hell, half the towns in the north are just roads with no buildings.

The devs have stated it's at least a year from Beta.

48. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2013, 07:18 Redmask

Krovven wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 02:25:
I seem to recall a video of DayZ, while amusing, also brings home my point. A group of players "helps" a lone guy, saves him. Tell him to join them in the helicopter and proceed to fly him to their "outpost" on a small island. He gets off the chopper and then they leave him there, with no way off, or they killed him and took his gear. I don't recall exactly.

I think there is a lesson there about trusting a random group of strangers you don't really know but I see your point. I recall a similar video with a bus and a 'training camp'.

Update: now with funny video.

This comment was edited on Dec 23, 2013, 07:29.

47. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2013, 04:44 Prez

This. If you arbitrarily limit PvP, you ruin the very thing that makes DayZ and its ilk compelling.

While I think the "worth a buy" reviewer was way too negative, he did make a decent point about games like DayZ in which PvP makes the game a slog. If developers put in features to encourage people to join up instead of constantly killing one another, it would greatly improve things I think. Of course humans would still kill humans, but not instantly on sight - it would end up more one faction against another. Add in the right incentives and maybe people wouldn't be so quick to kill every loner they come across.

EDIT: Or, I could have finished reading the whole thread and just saod "What Harlock said."

ďThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.Ē
- Mahatma Gandhi

46. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2013, 04:09 Krovven

Well to me it would be the same genre, with different mechanics. I don't want to change DayZ, WarZ, Nether, or the others like it. They are all the same basically. I want a new game, that shares mechanics, but alters others and brings in new ones.

Kinda like some people like RTS's along the vein of Starcraft, C&C, etc, whereas I like RTS's like Sacrifice and Dungeon Keeper 2. With Company of Heroes and Dawn of War 2 borrowing from both styles.

Survival games don't all need to be cookie cutter with different graphics.

45. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2013, 03:18 Jerykk

Krovven wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 02:12:
Jerykk wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 01:00:
Survival games should be sandboxes that are molded by the players themselves.

As I already said...people have those types of survival games available to them already. Why are you against having other options for people that want something different, that's not largely a griefers paradise?

If you're proposing an entirely new game/genre, I'm okay with that. I thought you were talking about changing existing games like DayZ or Nether. What you're describing would be a very different experience, more akin to an MMO where the game's systems are explicitly designed to force cooperation and prevent griefing. Nothing inherently wrong with that but it's the exact opposite reason why people play games like DayZ.

44. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2013, 02:26 Veterator

Well there are real world examples of what they could do to encourage cooperation. Like adding useful things or mechanics that require two people to do without risk. Like pulley systems to move things to a second or higher floor. It'd suck to have to tie it off, run to the top, hope you can pull it in the window by yourself etc.

Or pushing a big rock over the entrance to a cave where you're staying or keeping supplies.

I am not against PVP for reasons, but the reason shouldn't end up being "because he might kill me first". Then the next guy's reason for killing is "he killed that other guy that I didn't know at all and who started the fight"....on and on. "Just because" killings like this end up turning more people to griefing if it happens to them more than once or at critical moments.

I'm guessing a lot of EVE players like playing like that....I couldn't stand EVE simply because a significant portion of people played solely to make the game as shitty as possible for others.

43. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2013, 02:25 Krovven

Redmask wrote on Dec 22, 2013, 23:24:
Players should learn not to lone wolf in a survival game anyway.

The problem is, not everyone has friends that can always play at the same time. And joining these games as a lone wolf is trial and error in finding people that wont stab you in the back when they feel like they don't want to work together with you any more.

I seem to recall a video of DayZ, while amusing, also brings home my point. A group of players "helps" a lone guy, saves him. Tell him to join them in the helicopter and proceed to fly him to their "outpost" on a small island. He gets off the chopper and then they leave him there, with no way off, or they killed him and took his gear. I don't recall exactly.

Like I said in another thread. I'm interested in something between Dead Island and DayZ.

42. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2013, 02:12 Krovven

Jerykk wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 01:00:
Survival games should be sandboxes that are molded by the players themselves.

As I already said...people have those types of survival games available to them already. Why are you against having other options for people that want something different, that's not largely a griefers paradise?

This comment was edited on Dec 23, 2013, 02:18.

41. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2013, 01:00 Jerykk

"Something that would be a lot of fun, is if a player loses their humanity with each player they kill, becoming weaker each time, eventually becoming a monster themselves and playing as that monster until they are killed. There would need to be more to it, providing a way for players to gain humanity by peacefully interacting with players, etc. "

That's essentially a morality system that punishes players for PvP. I don't think that would be a good solution at all. Survival games should be sandboxes that are molded by the players themselves. Arbitrarily rewarding or punishing players for specific actions undermines that and encourages a very specific playstyle.

As Redmask and I have mentioned, a deep crafting mechanic where you can build structures, items, vehicles, etc, would encourage cooperation naturally without punishing anyone. We've already seen this to an extent with the vehicles in DayZ (people working together to repair buses and helicopters). It just needs to be expanded upon. "Rust" is actually exploring that very idea. I'm interested in seeing how it turns out.

80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo