Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy solstice, as today is the first day of winter here in the Northern Hemisphere and the first day of summer below the equator. Based on that one might think I fall into the latter category, as it's 52°F out there right now, and the forecast says to expect it to hit 66°F tomorrow. Apparently this is just the northeastern U.S., as there's cold messy weather out in the rest of the country heading our way to remind us where we actually live. Hope you are keeping safe and warm/cool as appropriate to your location

Wintery Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Snail Bob 6: Winter Story.
Shine.
Stories: Canada Supreme Court strikes down prostitution laws. Road trip!
Under Seattle, a Big Object Blocks Bertha. What Is It? Thanks Slashdot.
100 years of crosswords: the first appeared in New York on 21.12.1913.
Science: Tax meat to cut methane emissions, say scientists.
The Science of the Best Chocolate Chip Cookies. Thanks Boing Boing.
Media: Peanuts Christmas Dance in NYC.
A Christmas Message from Your Pets. Ringers for Hudson and Gunnar within seconds around 2:55.
Powered UP and Behind the Scenes trailer.
Follow-up: ‘Zero Dark Thirty’ leak investigators now target of leak probe.
The Funnies: The Greatest Gift Cartoon - Savage Chickens.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 22, 2013, 11:19 Redmask

Everything in moderation, 30 minutes of light exercise like walking per day and generally speaking you will live a long life thanks to the benefits of modern medicine.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 22, 2013, 09:42 xXBatmanXx

As long as people stay away from fast foods, processed sugars, and anything that is "add water from a box" - then you will live to be old like our grandparents and their generation. It is when you start throwing things together that aren't meant to be thrown together via science that our body flips out.

Meat, taters, greens. Not a bad way to live.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

24. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 22, 2013, 02:25 Acleacius

Cutter wrote on Dec 22, 2013, 01:41:
I'm addicted to dairy for sure. I'll never give it up. Why would I want to? It's soooooo good! Three things I'll never give up are milk, butter, and cheese. Life just isn't worth living without them.

However as someone who's spent 20 years in fine dining I daresay I've forgotten more about real food than most people will ever know. I eat well - healthy most of the time - not so much the rest. I also know when to detox and give the ol' body a break. Besides, good fats - like what you get in butter - aren't a problem. Good fats are essential to a healthy life.

Fat: An Appreciation of a Misunderstood Ingredient. Grab that from the lieberry and give it a gander.
It's funny you mention Trans, I sent Blue two articles today. Trans Fat Consumption and Aggression and 22 Worst Foods for Trans Fat
OMG, Poptarts and butter are on the list! Grin
I agree with healthy fats are essential but butter? ....I was hoping you were going to say something like avocados or almonds, not something full of casein, bleh. In case you haven't read The China Study, it the most comprehensive study of diet and disease, ever (iirc 30 years).

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 22, 2013, 01:41 Cutter

Acleacius wrote on Dec 21, 2013, 23:43:
Cutter wrote on Dec 21, 2013, 19:23:
Because everything tastes better in fat and salt? Hence why people are insane for bacon. If you're not baking with butter, don't bother baking. Cooking eggs without butter is a crime against cooking. Even Family Guy knows everything goes better without butter...even Poptarts!
Lmao at Poptarts.

Bah, your probably so addicted to fat you probably can't/haven't tasted real food in years. I dare you to say that, after you've given up fat for 30 days!

I'm addicted to dairy for sure. I'll never give it up. Why would I want to? It's soooooo good! Three things I'll never give up are milk, butter, and cheese. Life just isn't worth living without them.

However as someone who's spent 20 years in fine dining I daresay I've forgotten more about real food than most people will ever know. I eat well - healthy most of the time - not so much the rest. I also know when to detox and give the ol' body a break. Besides, good fats - like what you get in butter - aren't a problem. Good fats are essential to a healthy life.

Fat: An Appreciation of a Misunderstood Ingredient. Grab that from the lieberry and give it a gander.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

22. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 22, 2013, 01:14 nin

Creston wrote on Dec 22, 2013, 00:53:
nin wrote on Dec 21, 2013, 15:35:
Creston wrote on Dec 21, 2013, 15:32:
66 degrees. In the meantime, everything here's covered in an inch of ice again.

Could have been a lot worse. At least there's not a ton of downed power lines...

The people on the other end of my road lost power, but miraculously mine stayed up for the first time in forever. *knocks on 200 million pieces of wood*

Yeah, still up here, but I worry about the extra rain we got this evening freezing tonight...at one point, it was seriously coming down.

Monday morning deicing should be fun...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

21. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 22, 2013, 00:57 Creston

BobBob wrote on Dec 22, 2013, 00:21:
Starting Monday, it will be fluctuating between 72 and 73 F here during the upcoming Christmas week. Christmas day will have a few morning clouds. Hopefully they'll clear up for a beach day.

You are a seriously disagreeable fellow.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 22, 2013, 00:54 Creston

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 21, 2013, 16:50:

Could have been a lot worse. At least there's not a ton of downed power lines...

Or your roof could be leaking..... grrrrrr

That really sucks. I'm sorry man

19. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 22, 2013, 00:53 Creston

The people on the other end of my road lost power, but miraculously mine stayed up for the first time in forever. *knocks on 200 million pieces of wood*

18. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 22, 2013, 00:21 BobBob

Starting Monday, it will be fluctuating between 72 and 73 F here during the upcoming Christmas week. Christmas day will have a few morning clouds. Hopefully they'll clear up for a beach day.  

17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 22, 2013, 00:13 WarPig

everything goes better without butter...even Poptarts!

Yes, I watched the episode, and yes, I've already tried butter on Poptarts, and yes (sigh) it was pretty damn good.

GO SEAHAWKS!

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2013, 23:43 Acleacius

Cutter wrote on Dec 21, 2013, 19:23:
Because everything tastes better in fat and salt? Hence why people are insane for bacon. If you're not baking with butter, don't bother baking. Cooking eggs without butter is a crime against cooking. Even Family Guy knows everything goes better without butter...even Poptarts!
Lmao at Poptarts.

Bah, your probably so addicted to fat you probably can't/haven't tasted real food in years. I dare you to say that, after you've given up fat for 30 days!

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2013, 22:21 Mad Max RW

Cutter wrote on Dec 21, 2013, 19:29:
Hoop wrote on Dec 21, 2013, 17:20:
Ok it's been a week since I went to see The Desolation of Smaug in 3d hfr.
I was really looking forward to this as I liked the first very much but this one just left me cold & no amount of dragon fire was going to thaw my cold indifference to it's nonexistent charms.
I never read the books so plot changes were never really going to be an issue however plenty of things annoyed me.

Not books. Book. It's a single book. And you can read it an hour or three. It's really not much more than a short story or a novella. That's why everyone familiar with is is scratching their heads wondering how you pull 9 hours of movie out of it without padding the shit out of it which they're obviously doing.

I liked your remark about the horns though, heh.

I'm holding the book in my hands right now and it's 279 pages. Hardly a "novella". But then again, you are always wrong about every single thing you ever say.

Here's the official breakdown:

Short Story
~ 1,000 - 7,500 words

Novellette
~ 7,500 - 20,000 words

Novella
~ 20,000 - 50,000 words

Novel
~ 50,000 -110,000 words

The Hobbit is exactly 95,356 words. Two seconds. That's how long it takes to look that up.

This comment was edited on Dec 21, 2013, 22:29.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2013, 21:34 Hoop

Cutter wrote on Dec 21, 2013, 19:29:
I was really looking forward to this as I liked the first very much but this one just left me cold & no amount of dragon fire was going to thaw my cold indifference to it's nonexistent charms.
I never read the books so plot changes were never really going to be an issue however plenty of things annoyed me.

Not books. Book. It's a single book. And you can read it an hour or three. It's really not much more than a short story or a novella. That's why everyone familiar with is is scratching their heads wondering how you pull 9 hours of movie out of it without padding the shit out of it which they're obviously doing.

Ah yeah typo.

This comment was edited on Dec 21, 2013, 21:39.

Um .. Behind you...

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2013, 19:29 Cutter

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2013, 19:23 Cutter

Acleacius wrote on Dec 21, 2013, 17:15:
GO CANADA!

"The Science of the Best Chocolate Chip Cookies"
Why the hell, would anyone cover up the wonderful flavors of a chocolate cookie, with a heavy fat like butter, bleh. Just dip everything in butter, why don't ya dude! ... Clearly this guy has never tasted a Big John cookie, from the Austin Whole Foods, corporate test store.

I'm pretty sure Blue meant, measured seasons, not weather patterns.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2013, 17:20 Hoop

I never read the book so plot changes were never really going to be an issue however plenty of things annoyed me.

1: The colour or lack there of, washed out to the point of not being able to recall any sequence of note. All I can recall is a palette of washy warm, cool hues of dirty sepia bla. wtf PJ, he's on record as saying "I think this is the best movie I have ever made" wtf are you looking at? we don't have Imax here so I don't know, *shrug* AUJ was'nt this anemic.

2:The music, jeepers .H christmas back off with the constantly, constantly punctuated fucking horns at every fucking suggestion of action or what seemed like every fucking movement from one second to the next. I felt like standing up in the theatre & screaming "turn the fucking horns off!" but no one would have heard me.

3:The cgi, omg if draining the colour out of this thing robbed it for the eyes the shear amount of cgi has bled it of any humanity for the heart. PJ's mantra of "I wanna see that in a movie!" gee'ed on by people blowing smoke up his arse now means one xbox sequence followed by another. (It should be said I did enjoy Smaug though)

4:The pacing, I have never faulted PJ on his pacing of a movie before but I can only think he fucked this up so bad because he's flying around lost in a computer finding "new angles to shoot" with his 3d immersion camera giggling away to himself like a lunatic.

This comment was edited on Dec 21, 2013, 21:36.

Um .. Behind you...

10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2013, 17:15 Acleacius

GO CANADA!

"The Science of the Best Chocolate Chip Cookies"
Why the hell, would anyone cover up the wonderful flavors of a chocolate cookie, with a heavy fat like butter, bleh. Just dip everything in butter, why don't ya dude! ... Clearly this guy has never tasted a Big John cookie, from the Austin Whole Foods, corporate test store.

I'm pretty sure Blue meant, measured seasons, not weather patterns.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2013, 17:10 Julio

Cutter wrote on Dec 21, 2013, 14:06:
'Bout time they struck down those laws. Gubment has no place legislating bedroom morality amongst consenting adults. Now as soon as they legalize coke Canada will be the game development capital of the world. Come to Canada, land of coke and hookers!

That's why they made Kickstarter available to Canadian developers

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2013, 17:04 Cutter

Yeah, today's theme song is Ice Ice Baby.

7. Re: Summer / Winter Solstice Dec 21, 2013, 16:54 Cynips

1badmf wrote on Dec 21, 2013, 15:08:
and how is it incorrect? nothing you posted contradicted blue's post. summer/winter solstice have been the traditional starting point for summer/winter for a long time, since antiquity.

Blue's incorrect in that winter starts with Dec 21 in the whole of the Northern Hemisphere. There's no real consensus, but the first winter month is normally December if you ask any Swede, which means start by Dec 1. If we're talking meteorologically, winter is defined by weather conditions that sometimes delays winter until Feb 15 even in Sweden.

listening to http://www.progulus.com/ a mountain stream of progressive, rock and metal

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo