Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Elite Dangerous VR Support

The alpha version of Elite Dangerous now includes support for Track IR, 3D TVs, and the Oculus Rift VR headsets, reports Rock, Paper, Shotgun, where they offer first-hand impressions of playing Frontier's upcoming space combat sequel using the Oculus Rift. VR support is still a work-in-progress with the key element of cross-hairs still missing, for instance, but they came away impressed. Here's a recent gameplay video they link (which does not show Oculus Rift support) and here's word:

All the impressive, immersive tricks the HUD needed to pull to help you to track a target arenít needed when you can just move my head. It changed everything. I tracked the ship for a little bit, watching it slink through the asteroids. I could still see the jets burn as he twisted away in front of me, though in the confines of the Rift he now felt further away. I boosted to keep him close, but instead of locking on to keep track, I just watched, tilting my head as he swam to the left of my view and then following with the shipís controls. If you think about that for a second, youíll realise it reverses a lot of whatís true in dog-fighting situations without head-tracking: Iíd have had to keep up with it before to keep it in view, constantly adjusting to keep it in sight. Now I knew exactly where I was turning to, which enabled me to adjust my speed a lot more accurately. The ship was never out of my view, though the missing crosshair did cause me some trouble with aiming. I wonít be ending this piece with a triumphant final blast of my weapons.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

8. Re: Elite Dangerous VR Support Dec 20, 2013, 12:20 Tumbler

This is a very impressive looking game. The AI and combat it self looks a little boring but I hope that can be improved. The video's I watched were almost all the same basic tactics, go head on with an enemy, enemy turns and trys to fly away, turns around, comes back. In a more interesting clip the user turned off the fly by wire controls and got the ship spinning and traveling backwards while firing on ships that were chasing him.

Playing the game with controllers was painfully slow. Takes too long to get your weapons on target without a joystick. There was one scenario that had a weapon that tracked in the center area and that was a lot more fun to watch.

The video's I watch switched over to the joystick and it was still a long time to line up and hit with the weapons. I think they should set all the weapons to do some tracking, more powerful ones would track slower, shorter range weaker weapons would track faster (aim).

For an alpha its very impressive.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Elite Dangerous VR Support Dec 20, 2013, 12:19 SpectralMeat

Wildone wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 12:11:
I dont think so, its very old school. You can use an Xbox controller if you so wish but its very dogfighting centric no weird XR manouvers

That's alright, just gotta learn to control with the joystick.
Thanks

Steam: SpectralMeat

6. Re: Elite Dangerous VR Support Dec 20, 2013, 12:19 Drayth

There's a bobble head toy on the cockpit. o.0  

5. Re: Elite Dangerous VR Support Dec 20, 2013, 12:11 Wildone

I dont think so, its very old school. You can use an Xbox controller if you so wish but its very dogfighting centric no weird XR manouvers

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 11:16:
Is any of the Blue's News peeps in the Alpha?
All the vids I've seen the ship maneuvering looks sort of weird. Is there a mouse control like how it is in X-Rebirth for example, or only joystick controls?
What I mean is if I move my mouse around my ship will follow and steer in that direction?
I kind of like this in X-Rebirth makes the ship controls really easy.

4. Re: Elite Dangerous VR Support Dec 20, 2013, 12:10 Wildone

Well not long before the beta comes a few more months

gray wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 11:43:
This looks great, the only problem is alpha costs as much as my Rift! Bit gutted.

3. Re: Elite Dangerous VR Support Dec 20, 2013, 11:43 gray

This looks great, the only problem is alpha costs as much as my Rift! Bit gutted.  

2. Re: Elite Dangerous VR Support Dec 20, 2013, 11:23 Stormsinger

Flight sims (space or air) are one of the places that VR headsets -really- shine. Going all the way back to the Virtuality Arcade in the early 90s, even as crappy as their resolution and response was, the ability to track the enemy just by looking around made it a whole new game.  

1. Re: Elite Dangerous VR Support Dec 20, 2013, 11:16 SpectralMeat

Is any of the Blue's News peeps in the Alpha?
All the vids I've seen the ship maneuvering looks sort of weird. Is there a mouse control like how it is in X-Rebirth for example, or only joystick controls?
What I mean is if I move my mouse around my ship will follow and steer in that direction?
I kind of like this in X-Rebirth makes the ship controls really easy.

Steam: SpectralMeat

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo