Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Elite Dangerous VR Support

The alpha version of Elite Dangerous now includes support for Track IR, 3D TVs, and the Oculus Rift VR headsets, reports Rock, Paper, Shotgun, where they offer first-hand impressions of playing Frontier's upcoming space combat sequel using the Oculus Rift. VR support is still a work-in-progress with the key element of cross-hairs still missing, for instance, but they came away impressed. Here's a recent gameplay video they link (which does not show Oculus Rift support) and here's word:

All the impressive, immersive tricks the HUD needed to pull to help you to track a target arenít needed when you can just move my head. It changed everything. I tracked the ship for a little bit, watching it slink through the asteroids. I could still see the jets burn as he twisted away in front of me, though in the confines of the Rift he now felt further away. I boosted to keep him close, but instead of locking on to keep track, I just watched, tilting my head as he swam to the left of my view and then following with the shipís controls. If you think about that for a second, youíll realise it reverses a lot of whatís true in dog-fighting situations without head-tracking: Iíd have had to keep up with it before to keep it in view, constantly adjusting to keep it in sight. Now I knew exactly where I was turning to, which enabled me to adjust my speed a lot more accurately. The ship was never out of my view, though the missing crosshair did cause me some trouble with aiming. I wonít be ending this piece with a triumphant final blast of my weapons.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Elite Dangerous VR Support Dec 21, 2013, 11:45 Shataan

The 3D looking cockpit seems to have nice depth. But the incockpit movement FEEL seems to be missing something. Looks very generic and dated imo. Volitions Freespace 2 for me still had a better sense of speed/movement FEEL. Plus it had amazing FF Effects.

Gotta add that the machineguns firing outside the ship make sounds... lol ... in a space vacuum. hmmmm 3D incockpit and headtracking etc aside, looks very much been there done that.... years ago.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Elite Dangerous VR Support Dec 21, 2013, 05:18 Lord Tea

Creston wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 15:05:
Braben is definitely going all out to make this awesome.

Having played (and enjoyed) all its predecessors, I agree entirely. Braben stands for quality. They have now gathered ca. £2.3 million. I'm much much much more tempted to spend money on the new Elite than the Chris Roberts game....

UPSA = United Police States of America

26. Re: Elite Dangerous VR Support Dec 21, 2013, 05:05 Sleep

He raised 5 million odd from selling shares, plus inestment etc. its not 1.5 million.  

25. Re: Elite Dangerous VR Support Dec 21, 2013, 04:34 El Pit

Creston wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 15:05:
Braben is definitely going all out to make this awesome. If/when he releases, I will publicly apologize for calling his Kickstarter a scam.

I'm still very curious how he's making all of this with just 1.5 million, though...

Same here. If this is good, I will buy it after release.

I'm asking myself: will Roberts' "The Hangar Game" be 20 times as good for all its money?

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

24. Re: Elite Dangerous VR Support Dec 20, 2013, 22:19 DangerDog

I wish the asteroids had movement, colliding with each other and breaking into two or three.

It could be a meta game in itself, clear all the asteroids!

23. Re: Elite Dangerous VR Support Dec 20, 2013, 18:23 BazzaLB

Just tried the 3DTV support. I play all my games with 3DVision usually but the alpha doesn't really support it. The cockpit shows plenty of depth, but the Asteroid field and the asteroids themselves look pretty flat. Its like a 3D cockpit flying in front of a photograph of space. X-Rebirth 3DVision looks miles more convincing in that respect than this SBS alpha implementation.

This comment was edited on Dec 20, 2013, 18:33.

Lurking on Blues since mid nineties

22. Re: Elite Dangerous VR Support Dec 20, 2013, 17:31 NegaDeath

Creston wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 15:07:
Oh shit man, now I gotta buy a suit and an oxygen tank to play this game? MY HOBBY IS GETTING TOO EXPENSIVE! :(

You aren't going to build the vacuum chamber to play it in to really make it authentic? Pfft, cheapskate.

21. Re: Elite Dangerous VR Support Dec 20, 2013, 16:36 Flatline

Task wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 16:22:
Task wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 13:40:
Tumbler wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 12:30:
I also like the window effects, how the window freezes and stuff when you exit from warp.

Yeah the window effects are great, as you take damage it gets damaged and eventually you get a timer that tells you when your oxygen is going to run out! (I assume because you took too much damage!)

I hope to make it more realistic that you can don a suit and survive on an oxygen tank until you dock in a hanger or something.

Oh shit man, now I gotta buy a suit and an oxygen tank to play this game? MY HOBBY IS GETTING TOO EXPENSIVE!

You knew what I meant...

simulating a VIRTUAL space suit in the game, in the cockpit, but the sarcasm award goes to Creston

Just wait until you decide to go whole hog...

https://sites.google.com/site/mf2012theviper/

20. Re: Elite Dangerous VR Support Dec 20, 2013, 16:22 Task

I also like the window effects, how the window freezes and stuff when you exit from warp.

Yeah the window effects are great, as you take damage it gets damaged and eventually you get a timer that tells you when your oxygen is going to run out! (I assume because you took too much damage!)

I hope to make it more realistic that you can don a suit and survive on an oxygen tank until you dock in a hanger or something.

Oh shit man, now I gotta buy a suit and an oxygen tank to play this game? MY HOBBY IS GETTING TOO EXPENSIVE!

You knew what I meant...

simulating a VIRTUAL space suit in the game, in the cockpit, but the sarcasm award goes to Creston

Playing: The Witcher 2, Dragon Age: Origins, FF8

19. Re: Elite Dangerous VR Support Dec 20, 2013, 15:11 Wildone

Who just watched the SC Dogfighting demo..I know its early pre pre preee Alpha but eh..it looked like cak :-S Still early days  

18. Re: Elite Dangerous VR Support Dec 20, 2013, 15:07 Creston

17. Re: Elite Dangerous VR Support Dec 20, 2013, 15:05 Creston

Braben is definitely going all out to make this awesome. If/when he releases, I will publicly apologize for calling his Kickstarter a scam.

I'm still very curious how he's making all of this with just 1.5 million, though...

16. Re: Elite Dangerous VR Support Dec 20, 2013, 13:41 harlock

fucking tasty

definitely want a OcRft but not sure i want to early adopt

15. Re: Elite Dangerous VR Support Dec 20, 2013, 13:41 Task

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 12:37:
Stormsinger wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 11:23:
Flight sims (space or air) are one of the places that VR headsets -really- shine. Going all the way back to the Virtuality Arcade in the early 90s, even as crappy as their resolution and response was, the ability to track the enemy just by looking around made it a whole new game.

I've long felt that TrackIR, or something similar, is as essential to flight sims as a joystick: it really does make for an entirely different, and proportionately better, experience. Can't wait to give the Oculus a try at some point.

Very much so. I never play Flight Sims without my Track IR device. It was expensive, but worth every penny. Getting full out flight gear, like the best joystick and track IR is definitely spendy.

14. Re: Elite Dangerous VR Support Dec 20, 2013, 13:40 Task

13. Re: Elite Dangerous VR Support Dec 20, 2013, 12:40 Wildone

Its all over youtube, and fantastic  

12. Re: Elite Dangerous VR Support Dec 20, 2013, 12:37 Scottish Martial Arts

Stormsinger wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 11:23:
Flight sims (space or air) are one of the places that VR headsets -really- shine. Going all the way back to the Virtuality Arcade in the early 90s, even as crappy as their resolution and response was, the ability to track the enemy just by looking around made it a whole new game.

I've long felt that TrackIR, or something similar, is as essential to flight sims as a joystick: it really does make for an entirely different, and proportionately better, experience. Can't wait to give the Oculus a try at some point.

11. Re: Elite Dangerous VR Support Dec 20, 2013, 12:36 Drayth

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 12:21:
Drayth wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 12:19:
There's a bobble head toy on the cockpit. o.0
Yep, you didn't notice that before?

This is the first in game footage I've seen. Have only seen this and the cinematic video with the two capital ships.

10. Re: Elite Dangerous VR Support Dec 20, 2013, 12:30 Tumbler

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

9. Re: Elite Dangerous VR Support Dec 20, 2013, 12:21 SpectralMeat

Drayth wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 12:19:
There's a bobble head toy on the cockpit. o.0
Yep, you didn't notice that before?
Those smoke trails and effects when your bullets hit the asteroids are also very awesome looking.
Looking forward to this game, but me too not going to pay so much for Alpha access. I might jump on board when the beta comes out.

Steam: SpectralMeat

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo