Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy birthday to Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards, who turns 70 today. His face turned 70 about 15 years ago, his liver has to be 490 (I'm assuming seven years is a Keith Richards liver year, like dog years), but his guitar riffs are timeless. In spite of his notorious partying, apparently the closest he came to overdosing is that a band named themselves Keith Richards Overdose, he shrugged of brain surgery that was required after he fell while climbing a tree in his 60s, and I'm pretty sure he wasn't kidding (as he later stated he was) when he claimed to have snorted some of his dead father's ashes. And at this point I'm becoming convinced he'll outlive us all. Happy birthday Keith, you magnificent bastard.

Rockin' Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: The Everloom.
Frosty's Adventure.
Stories: Blind man, guide dog safe after subway track fall. Thanks nin.
As NORAD Tracks Santa, critics track NORAD. Thanks HARDOCP.
Science: Multivitamins won't boost health, waste of money: Researchers. Thanks Boing Boing.
McLaren to use force field of sound waves, replaces windshield wipers.
A quantum revolution against Feynman diagrams.
Media: Midday Traffic Time Collapsed and Reorganized by Color- San Diego Study #3. Thanks HARDOCP.

View
53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

53. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2013, 08:42 Verno

Cutter wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 16:51:
And the Vitamin D really only applies to white people - or those of northern European descent.

This makes no sense at all. It doesn't "only apply to white people".

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

52. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2013, 01:25 Agent.X7

Sepharo wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 22:24:
Beamer wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 22:20:
He didn't seem to realize what people were arguing with him about. But, clearly, people with darker skin are more at risk for a vitamin d deficiency than those with lighter skin.

You're giving him the benefit of the doubt. If he didn't know why he was wrong then he has a reading comprehension problem because Agent.X7 explained it with the first reply.

He's Canadian. The cold or the moose droppings or something mess with their logic. I mean, come on, their bacon is even wrong! One country in the world has to have their own version of bacon. Canada. Yeah, that says it all.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

51. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2013, 22:41 Beamer

Sepharo wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 22:24:
He didn't seem to realize what people were arguing with him about. But, clearly, people with darker skin are more at risk for a vitamin d deficiency than those with lighter skin.

You're giving him the benefit of the doubt. If he didn't know why he was wrong then he has a reading comprehension problem because Agent.X7 explained it with the first reply.

Agent.X7 wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 17:00:
In fact, a one second search of the web would show you that it has been theorized that people with darker skin tones are actually MORE at risk of being vitamin D deficient.

edit: Dammit... I keep forgetting that Agent.X7 and ASeven are not the same dude. Sorry sirs.

Eh, I'm trying to be diplomatic. I'm on enough ignore lists at the moment.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

50. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2013, 22:24 Sepharo

In fact, a one second search of the web would show you that it has been theorized that people with darker skin tones are actually MORE at risk of being vitamin D deficient.

edit: Dammit... I keep forgetting that Agent.X7 and ASeven are not the same dude. Sorry sirs.

49. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2013, 22:20 Beamer

Cutter wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 20:35:
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/87/4/1080S.full

The major source of vitamin D for humans is exposure to sunlight (4, 8, 10). Anything that diminishes the transmission of solar UVB radiation to the earth's surface or anything that interferes with the penetration of UVB radiation into the skin will affect the cutaneous synthesis of vitamin D3 (2, 9; Figure 3&#8659;) Melanin is extremely efficient in absorbing UVB radiation, and, thus, increased skin pigmentation markedly reduces vitamin D3 synthesis (29). Similarly, a sunscreen with a sun protection of 15 absorbs 99% of the incident UVB radiation, and, thus, when topically applied properly will decrease the synthesis of vitamin D3 in the skin by 99% (30). African Americans with very dark skin have an SPF of 15, and, thus, their ability to make vitamin D in their skin is reduced by as much as 99% (9, 29). This along with decreased milk intake are the explanations for why most African Americans who live in a temperate climate are vitamin D deficient, whereas Africans living near the equator where vitamin D3 synthesis is more efficient because of the higher flux of UVB photons are not (31, 32).

Me - 1. You guys - 0.

I bolded the important parts, which is why everyone thinks they're right.
Cutter said you need milk if you don't get sun. That's true. So he thinks he's right.
But he said that white people need vitamin D because black people get enough. This is why everyone else thinks he's wrong.

-------------

48. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2013, 22:04 Sepharo

And the Vitamin D really only applies to white people - or those of northern European descent.

Not true. You're wrong. Give it up.

47. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2013, 20:35 Cutter

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/87/4/1080S.full

The major source of vitamin D for humans is exposure to sunlight (4, 8, 10). Anything that diminishes the transmission of solar UVB radiation to the earth's surface or anything that interferes with the penetration of UVB radiation into the skin will affect the cutaneous synthesis of vitamin D3 (2, 9; Figure 3&#8659;) Melanin is extremely efficient in absorbing UVB radiation, and, thus, increased skin pigmentation markedly reduces vitamin D3 synthesis (29). Similarly, a sunscreen with a sun protection of 15 absorbs 99% of the incident UVB radiation, and, thus, when topically applied properly will decrease the synthesis of vitamin D3 in the skin by 99% (30). African Americans with very dark skin have an SPF of 15, and, thus, their ability to make vitamin D in their skin is reduced by as much as 99% (9, 29). This along with decreased milk intake are the explanations for why most African Americans who live in a temperate climate are vitamin D deficient, whereas Africans living near the equator where vitamin D3 synthesis is more efficient because of the higher flux of UVB photons are not (31, 32).

Me - 1. You guys - 0.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

46. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2013, 19:55 Sepharo

Guys Cutter is never wrong, so clearly A7, Harvard, and Wikipedia are mistaken or lying.  

45. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2013, 19:41 Agent.X7

Beamer wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 19:36:
Agent.X7 wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 19:33:
Cutter wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 18:40:
Yes, because people of different skin colors don't need vitamin D. This has to be the dumbest thing I have seen you type yet.

How stupid are you? Our skin reacts to the sun, and in turn we produce Vitamin D. It's why it's called the sunshine vitamin. It's also why people of Asian and Black origin who live in sunbelts closer to the equator are more likely to be lactose intolerant. They're out in the hot sun almost every fucking day so why on earth would they be vitamin D deficient? Whereas those who have lived in northern climes for the last several thousand years are vitamin D deficient without dairy. And we have negative reactions to it like SAD. I wasn't being racist, you idiot. Jesus, pull your head out of your ass.

How about you stop being ignorant and actually look up what I said? Hmmm? At no point did I call you a racist. You can call me stupid all you like, but it's not me opening my mouth and saying the first ignorant thing that comes to mind every day. LOOK. IT. UP.

I first found it in Wikipedia, but since for some reason some people here never trust Wikipedia (perhaps because they often get proven wrong by it) I found it from Harvard:
Here

Interesting, I never knew that.

Is it opposite day today? Why did nobody tell me?

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

44. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2013, 19:36 Beamer

Agent.X7 wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 19:33:
Yes, because people of different skin colors don't need vitamin D. This has to be the dumbest thing I have seen you type yet.

How stupid are you? Our skin reacts to the sun, and in turn we produce Vitamin D. It's why it's called the sunshine vitamin. It's also why people of Asian and Black origin who live in sunbelts closer to the equator are more likely to be lactose intolerant. They're out in the hot sun almost every fucking day so why on earth would they be vitamin D deficient? Whereas those who have lived in northern climes for the last several thousand years are vitamin D deficient without dairy. And we have negative reactions to it like SAD. I wasn't being racist, you idiot. Jesus, pull your head out of your ass.

How about you stop being ignorant and actually look up what I said? Hmmm? At no point did I call you a racist. You can call me stupid all you like, but it's not me opening my mouth and saying the first ignorant thing that comes to mind every day. LOOK. IT. UP.

I first found it in Wikipedia, but since for some reason some people here never trust Wikipedia (perhaps because they often get proven wrong by it) I found it from Harvard:
Here

Interesting, I never knew that.

-------------

43. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2013, 19:35 Agent.X7

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 18:43:
Agent.X7 wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 16:57:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 16:14:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 14:28:
hahaha did this get posted here yet?

Fargo Man Arrested For Clearing Snow With Flamethrower - Fox stated that he was simply “fed up with battling the elements” and that he did not possess the willpower necessary to move “four billion tons of white bull shit”.

Didn't want to link the story, looks like the website was hijacked....

last I checked this news story was a hoax If not, correct me please ^^

Pretty sure it was actually a farcical article, like something the Onion would print. There is no law against "fire-breathing weaponry." I mean, come on, that even sounds made up. I can't believe people always fall for these.

Have you been to Fargo? Do you know anyone from North Dakota!? Other than the movie? (which is in ND, NOT MINNESOTA) If you had been there, or know any poeople from the area - this doesn't really seem like it would be fake.

Just sayin.....if it is - oh what a travesty I posted it. geez..

Jesus, what is it today? Everybody has their panties in a wad.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

42. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2013, 19:33 Agent.X7

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

41. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2013, 18:43 xXBatmanXx

Agent.X7 wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 16:57:

Fargo Man Arrested For Clearing Snow With Flamethrower - Fox stated that he was simply “fed up with battling the elements” and that he did not possess the willpower necessary to move “four billion tons of white bull shit”.

Pretty sure it was actually a farcical article, like something the Onion would print. There is no law against "fire-breathing weaponry." I mean, come on, that even sounds made up. I can't believe people always fall for these.

Have you been to Fargo? Do you know anyone from North Dakota!? Other than the movie? (which is in ND, NOT MINNESOTA) If you had been there, or know any poeople from the area - this doesn't really seem like it would be fake.

Just sayin.....if it is - oh what a travesty I posted it. geez..

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

40. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2013, 18:40 Cutter

39. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2013, 17:00 Agent.X7

Good pal of mine is a physician and he's said for years that multivitamins are just another way to literally piss away your money. And the Vitamin D really only applies to white people - or those of northern European descent. Bundled up all winter or indoors we're vitamin D deficient whereas those in sunbelt are not. So get yer dairy on in the winter! And that works for me 'cause I drink more milk than anyone on earth.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

38. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2013, 16:57 Agent.X7

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

37. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2013, 16:51 Cutter

Good pal of mine is a physician and he's said for years that multivitamins are just another way to literally piss away your money. And the Vitamin D really only applies to white people - or those of northern European descent. Bundled up all winter or indoors we're vitamin D deficient whereas those in sunbelt are not. So get yer dairy on in the winter! And that works for me 'cause I drink more milk than anyone on earth.

36. Re: Multivitamins waste of money Dec 18, 2013, 16:39 Agent.X7

Frags4Fun wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 15:16:
Agent.X7 wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 15:05:
Frags4Fun wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 14:58:
Agent.X7 wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 13:08:
Multivitamins are a funny subject.

Do they boost your health? Duh, of course not.

However, if you read the study, it states that "well nourished" people gain nothing from them.

There are a TON of studies about how most people living in the world, even in 1st world countries, are not well nourished. The steady stream of shit we eat is not a balanced diet. Most women are short on iron. A lot of people are short on vitamin D, especially in the winter months.

I know I don't eat a very balanced diet, therefore I take a vitamin to make sure I get the stuff that is not in my food. I actually take extra vitamin D at the recommendation of my doctor because I work indoors and do not get enough sunlight. It has a perceptible effect on my mood and attitude.

So, should you take them to make you super healthy? No. Should you take them if you aren't getting the right combination of them in your diet? Probably.

I never realized how poor the average Americans diet is until this past year. Most people have deficiencies and don't know it. Doctors are too quick to assign you a prescription and send you on your way.

I take the Vitamin D and Multivitamin too. I also take Magnesium because I became deficient due to taking Acid Reflux medicine (Over 70% of Americans don't get enough magnesium). I was deficient on several other vitamins and minerals as well and it took months of seeing many doctors and specialists to figure out why my health was deteriorating for no apparent reason. I never knew that acid-reflux meds can block the absorption of many important vitamins and minerals. I was constantly feeling weak and hungry and didn't know why. I couldn't go more than a few hours without eating because I would literally start shaking and feeling really weak. After changing my diet, quiting the acid-reflux meds, and taking tons of supplements, I'm finally getting back to normal and would suggest that anyone on stomach meds have blood work done to make sure that all your levels are in order because by the time you find out what's wrong it might be too late to make a full recovery. Now I can go 24 hours without eating and I've lost almost 40 lbs and back to my normal weight.

Hmm, I am on Dexilant permanently because my stomach overproduces acid. Had bloodwork done, but not sure if they were looking for deficiencies.

The test that proves if your cellular (amount in muscles and bones) magnesium level is low is a special test that most doctors don't bother with. They tend to check your blood magnesium level which can very drastically due to daily intake.

I had all kinds of health problems from Omeprazol but it took me about 5-6 months to figure out the cause. I got to the point where I could barely use my hands. All the muscles and tendons in my hands and arms began to cramp up and eventually I couldn't use my computer. My muscle mass shrunk pretty drastically. I was in constant pain in my hands and arms. Even typing a single sentence was unbearable but I work in IT so I scoured the web looking for help. I thought maybe I had Carpal Tunnel Syndrome or RSI but then the symptons spread to my legs and feet. The sad thing is that I went to many doctors who were clueless and in the end, I found out what was wrong with me. I quit the Omeprazol and began getting better immediately. I am still not 100% but I'm getting better every day.

Yeah, I was put on Omaprazole to start with, but I had a pretty negative reaction, and it didn't work too great. Dexilant worked much better for me, although I can't take a course and stop, I have to be on it non-stop.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

35. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2013, 16:14 eRe4s3r

34. Re: McLaren Dec 18, 2013, 15:52  Blue 

Creston wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 15:47:
NegaDeath wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 13:53:
Creston wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 13:38:
Cost of a pair of windscreen wipers: $12.
Cost of a sound wave forcefield generator: $????????

I'm going to say most cars will just stay with windscreen wipers, really.

Cool factor of a pair of windscreen wipers: Meh
Cool factor of a sound wave forcefield generator: Fuck yeah!

Until it breaks and you get hit with a $???????? repair bill, and you go "You know what, guys? Put some windscreen wipers back on there."

There are plenty of things on cars that can be improved. I'm not sure that windscreen wipers are the things to start with.

As has been pointed out, were not talking about a Hyundai here.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo