Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

YouTube on YouTube Game Takedowns

YouTube has responded to the rash of takedowns of game-related videos sending emails to some of the impacted users. Kotaku has the letter, which unapologetically explains the content matches at issue, noting many of these are music-related, saying: "Be aware of music. Many games allow you to turn off background music, while leaving sound effects enabled. And if you're looking for music you can freely use (and monetize!), check out our Audio Library." There have been numerous reports of erroneous takedowns during this process, but nothing in the letter addresses these.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: YouTube on YouTube Game Takedowns Dec 19, 2013, 07:22 Redmask

Cutter wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 23:22:
If they had permission then there wouldn't be any claims, would there? That means the content owners would be cutting off an extra revenue source. I think it's you who needs to brush up the facts, champ.

You need to use Google to conduct basic research or at least have some knowledge on a topic before blurting out such ignorant crap then acting all high and mighty with everyone else. I notice you haven't been back to admit that you were acting like a dink about something you were completely wrong about either, you're a coward.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: YouTube on YouTube Game Takedowns Dec 18, 2013, 13:08 HorrorScope

MindStalker3 wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 12:56:
Get who's permission?

First your Mom's.
Then NSA's.
And Finally the YouTube's Bot's.
In that order.

29. Re: YouTube on YouTube Game Takedowns Dec 18, 2013, 12:56 MindStalker3

Cutter wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 21:33:
If you want to monetize it, get permission. It's pretty simple. No one's saying you can't engage in Fair Use otherwise.

Get who's permission? The game companies license music for their game. They also allow you to film their game and post videos on youtube. But the music creators are saying that their music that came along with a game aren't licensed. BS. If I made a movie using licensed music, then I allow you to take clips from my movie, there is nothing the original music licensee can/would do about it.

28. Re: YouTube on YouTube Game Takedowns Dec 18, 2013, 10:55 Verno

LightAssassin wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 10:47:
Will Cutter come in and admit his mistake? Tune in next week to find out!

He never owns his mistakes, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

27. Re: YouTube on YouTube Game Takedowns Dec 18, 2013, 10:47 RenownWolf

Will Cutter come in and admit his mistake? Tune in next week to find out!  

http://www.renownwolf.com

26. Re: YouTube on YouTube Game Takedowns Dec 18, 2013, 10:44 HorrorScope

Fantaz wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 01:53:
hey guys, i think it's time for a revolution. Youtube 2.0 perhaps?

I was with you for the first sentence, but wasn't thinking youtube. LOL CRY

25. Re: YouTube on YouTube Game Takedowns Dec 18, 2013, 10:05 Zyrxil

If they had permission then there wouldn't be any claims, would there? That means the content owners would be cutting off an extra revenue source. I think it's you who needs to brush up the facts, champ.

Wow. Instead of actually doing a quick search, you double down on ignorance. Not only is it the ContentID bot doing everything, as the last 10 posts have pointed out, it is random non-publishers doing the claiming. Yes, exactly as I wrote before if you had bothered to read it, Google/Youtube is letting claimers claim on anything without proof, then they automatically get the ad revenue while the video creators go through the long claims dispute process. Besides the NASA example provide before, in this current situation, a bunch of channels got claimed upon by "4GamerMovie", which is apparently a random Japanese website. Not even the publishers of the games know who the fuck 4GamerMovie is, and the video producers still have to go through the dispute process, even with prior permission and the various publishers explicitly giving blanket permission a second time through their websites. Just this morning, the (indie) developer of VVVVVV got a claim against them for footage of their own game on their own channel. So yeah, it's definitely you who needs to read a bit more.

24. Re: YouTube on YouTube Game Takedowns Dec 18, 2013, 09:05 Verno

There have been many erroneous takedowns due to Content ID matching, maybe you're the one who needs to brush up on facts. Companies often just use blanket tools to do it and also use Youtubes takedown system as a means of suppression for channels that compete with their own content sources for viewer eyeballs.

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

23. Re: YouTube on YouTube Game Takedowns Dec 18, 2013, 08:48 gray

Dec 17, 2013, 19:57 JCinDE

So...you can post videos of gameplay but not if it includes the background music? Good god this world is broken.

Good god this world country is broken.

FTFY

22. Re: YouTube on YouTube Game Takedowns Dec 18, 2013, 08:31 netnerd85

EricFate wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 07:55:

Tell that to the content owners who have explicit permission from the gaming companies who are still getting these content clams. And not just on a one off basis. Years worth of material, now all suddenly sending ad revenue somewhere else due to a bot arbitrarily deciding that an image or a collection of notes is a content match to some other thing which someone chose to register with them once.

It doesn't even have to be content they had the right to register in the first place. Royalty free music? Still earns a content claim. Music you composed and played yourself, or licensed from a third party who composed and played it? Still earns a content claim. And who gets the revenue? Not you, and not the guy who composed or played it.

How you dispute it? Fill out a form and wait three months.

How many can you dispute at once? Usually three, so if an entire series got hit, too bad. You can only do it on a case by case basis, so if you want that revenue back, look forward to filling out dispute forms for the next four years.
Exactly. Cutter your opinion and the facts dont match up here sweet heart. As the owner of a gaming channel, trust me, I know the troubles. There are plenty of reasons for trying to take down a youtube channel, not just legal reasons.

21. Re: YouTube on YouTube Game Takedowns Dec 18, 2013, 07:55 EricFate

Tell that to the content owners who have explicit permission from the gaming companies who are still getting these content clams. And not just on a one off basis. Years worth of material, now all suddenly sending ad revenue somewhere else due to a bot arbitrarily deciding that an image or a collection of notes is a content match to some other thing which someone chose to register with them once.

It doesn't even have to be content they had the right to register in the first place. Royalty free music? Still earns a content claim. Music you composed and played yourself, or licensed from a third party who composed and played it? Still earns a content claim. And who gets the revenue? Not you, and not the guy who composed or played it.

How you dispute it? Fill out a form and wait three months.

How many can you dispute at once? Usually three, so if an entire series got hit, too bad. You can only do it on a case by case basis, so if you want that revenue back, look forward to filling out dispute forms for the next four years.

20. Re: YouTube on YouTube Game Takedowns Dec 18, 2013, 04:19 Dr. D. Schreber

Frijoles wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 23:44:

You missed the part where it's all YouTube's automated bot, not the content owners. Blizzard and a few other big publishers are trying to mass-allow everything but haven't been able to. One guy was doing a video of his own game with his own music, and it was removed for copyright claims. The content identification bot isn't working.

As a joke I once posted a capture of the rat QTE in Battlefield 3 and labeled as exciting new gameplay footage from Skyrim showing the first enemy of the game. It got bot'd for having footage owned by Bethesda.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

19. Re: YouTube on YouTube Game Takedowns Dec 18, 2013, 02:10 Rigs

Denthor wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 23:11:
If you want to monetize it, get permission. It's pretty simple. No one's saying you can't engage in Fair Use otherwise.

How do you do that for a review of a movie/game/lets play etc?

Get permission from the publishers to review their game? What if it is a scathing review? All the power is on the publishers side which is open to abuse.

First off, watch this for the process that most of the bigger channels go through to get permission to look at a game. A lot of devs and publishers will send them STEAM keys (whether it be for a review, commentary, Let's Play, whatever)...

(I've been doing this ALL day, actually, and I've learned much in the last 24 hours about a lot of legal CRAP that makes absolutely NO FUCKING SENSE WHATSOEVER!

Next...Cutter, man, I respect your opinion but this time you're pretty much chewing shoe because you're totally WRONG about what's happening...again, I've been talking about this ALL damn day...watch this...
....and this....and this...and some of this too...

And if you don't want to bother putz'n around with them, at least watch THIS!

They explain it much better than I could. My brain is about to give out, it can't handle all this crap stuffed into it in one day! Ugh...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

18. Re: YouTube on YouTube Game Takedowns Dec 18, 2013, 01:53 Fantaz

hey guys, i think it's time for a revolution. Youtube 2.0 perhaps?  

17. Re: YouTube on YouTube Game Takedowns Dec 18, 2013, 01:45 Mashiki Amiketo

Doesn't that fall under fair use, transformitive works, and all that jazz? What I'm finding messed up in the entire thing is 'tiny portions' say 1% or less of a 30min 'lets play' is enough. If this doesn't highlight exactly how broken the copyright system is, then nothing will.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

16. Re: YouTube on YouTube Game Takedowns Dec 17, 2013, 23:45 HorrorScope

JCinDE wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 19:57:
So...you can post videos of gameplay but not if it includes the background music? Good god this world is broken.

Agreed. Like I can take video of a crime/sting, but I can't do audio unless I get permission. WTF!

15. Re: YouTube on YouTube Game Takedowns Dec 17, 2013, 23:44 Frijoles

You missed the part where it's all YouTube's automated bot, not the content owners. Blizzard and a few other big publishers are trying to mass-allow everything but haven't been able to. One guy was doing a video of his own game with his own music, and it was removed for copyright claims. The content identification bot isn't working.

14. Re: YouTube on YouTube Game Takedowns Dec 17, 2013, 23:42 DrEvil

Uh, you're usually not wrong cutter. But in this case, you're quite wrong.

In multiple instances, the original creator of a game has had claims made against videos they posted of their own game!

It's just as the others said; these are automated takedown systems. So even when people have explicit permission from the content creator (e.g. Vlambeer, Devolver digital, etc.) they're still getting claims against the video.

What you're missing out on is these claims are not being filed by the publishers or developers in most cases, instead, they're being filed by *distributors* who licensed the rights to games. But the catch is that many of these distributors do not have exclusive rights, so they shouldn't even be doing this in the first place!

13. Re: YouTube on YouTube Game Takedowns Dec 17, 2013, 23:22 Cutter

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

12. Re: YouTube on YouTube Game Takedowns Dec 17, 2013, 23:14 Zyrxil

ViRGE wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 19:44:
but nothing in the letter addresses these.
Let's be realistic here: there's nothing YouTube can do about it. If they want to maintain DMCA safe harbor status, they need to pull down anything that they get a request for. The only people with any real control are the firms issuing the takedown notices in the first place.

That's not the issue at all. There have been no DMCA notices issued. This is all about Youtube's internal ContentID matching system, which apparently allows anyone to claim anything, and has little recourse for anyone wrongfully claimed against.

Maybe you should actually read up on a subject before commenting? The big hullabaloo this week was from video creators that already had permission. Unfortunately, Youtube's content claiming system really doesn't give a fuck. It's strictly "get a claim lodged against you, your earnings automatically go to the claimer (who doesn't even need any proof), lodge a counterclaim, wait 2-4 weeks for possible reversal, and repeat 2 months later because there's no protection for the video just because you cleared a previous false claim."

This has been happening for long time. NASA has had its own videos taken down through ContentID matching by tiny TV Stations matching their rebroadcast of the NASA videos. This particular incident is just a bunch of very popular Youtubers suddenly being affected.

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo