Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Revealed

Disney-owned LucasArts reveals a free-to-play Star Wars game called Star Wars: Attack Squadrons in development for Windows PCs at Area 52 games. A preliminary website for the game is online, offering the following elevator pitch: "Star Wars: Attack Squadrons is a free-to-play online space combat game where players customize iconic Star Wars ships and engage in high-velocity 16 player dogfights in fabled Star Wars locations. There is also a "join the beta" button that doesn't seem to work right now, which suggests testing will begin soon. There's also a post about this on IGN with a cinematic reveal trailer.

View
56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

56. Re: Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Revealed May 24, 2014, 17:41 theyarecomingforyou

This game looked like a trainwreck to begin with, so I'm not surprised it was cancelled. It looks like Disney is taking the Star Wars brand seriously and doesn't want its image tarnished by half-assed games like this.

It would be awesome to see LucasArts licence the Star Citizen engine and produce a high-fidelity Star Wars game, a spiritual successor to Tie Fighter. I have less than zero interest in a F2P casual game like this abortion.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

55. Re: Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Revealed Dec 18, 2013, 07:39 InBlack

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 07:31:
But I'd bet you money that whoever is in charge of PC games like this, are taking a VERY close look at Star Citizen.

They should be looking at Elite Dangerous. Star Citizen is NOT how you want to manage your project. (Unless you want to have another SWO disaster on your hands)

I have a nifty blue line!

54. Re: Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Revealed Dec 18, 2013, 07:31 The Half Elf

Rigs wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 03:54:
The Half Elf wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 18:17:
Why all the bitching? We are now getting SOMETHING from Disney that Lucasarts couldn't/wouldn't do in over 10+ years?

This is what you want?!? This pitiful wannabe...SHIT?! LOOK at the video again! The TIEs, they have red rocket exhaust! WT everloving F?! At NO time, in any simulator I've ever played did the TIEs have ANY kind of exhaust, colored or no! At 0:30 in, the X-Wing blasts the TIE with one shot and then proceeds to do a barrel roll that, all things considered, should have turned him inside-out! Maybe that's why the TIE that was NEXT TO the one he just effortlessly blasted mere seconds ago is able to wreck his ass with two shots MAX! Who knows, maybe he did resemble a tipped-over cherry pie in his cockpit seat...would explain why we hear, '...can't shake him', when he doesn't do any 'shaking' to begin with!

Again, YOU want this? In that case, YOU'RE part of the problem! Bat

GET HIM!!!

=-Rigs-=

I would love some Xwing Alliance with multiplayer ships like Star Wars Galaxies, but what have we gotten since then? KOTOR's crap, crappy Battlefront 2, nothing worth a damn.
Disney has the license less then a year and is already making PC EXCLUSIVE CONTENT.
Is it a grand slam? Hell no, but again it's 1000 times more then what Lucas was doing with it. So to me that's a MAJOR step in the right direction.
But I'd bet you money that whoever is in charge of PC games like this, are taking a VERY close look at Star Citizen.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

53. Re: Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Revealed Dec 18, 2013, 03:54 Rigs

Why all the bitching? We are now getting SOMETHING from Disney that Lucasarts couldn't/wouldn't do in over 10+ years?

This is what you want?!? This pitiful wannabe...SHIT?! LOOK at the video again! The TIEs, they have red rocket exhaust! WT everloving F?! At NO time, in any simulator I've ever played did the TIEs have ANY kind of exhaust, colored or no! At 0:30 in, the X-Wing blasts the TIE with one shot and then proceeds to do a barrel roll that, all things considered, should have turned him inside-out! Maybe that's why the TIE that was NEXT TO the one he just effortlessly blasted mere seconds ago is able to wreck his ass with two shots MAX! Who knows, maybe he did resemble a tipped-over cherry pie in his cockpit seat...would explain why we hear, '...can't shake him', when he doesn't do any 'shaking' to begin with!

Again, YOU want this? In that case, YOU'RE part of the problem! Bat

GET HIM!!!

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

52. Re: Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Revealed Dec 18, 2013, 03:42 InBlack

Rigs wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 13:49:
Fuck me! Is it asking too much to get a semi-hi-fidelity space-combat sim set in the Star Wars universe around here?!? You know, back in the day, when the PC sim audience was about a TENTH of what it is now, try to guess what LucasArts was pushing out every year or so? Yup, that's right, a serious SPACE-COMBAT SIM set in the Star Wars universe and you wanna know somethin' else? IT FUCKING RULED! Literally! It was PC GAMER'S BEST PC GAME OF ALL TIME! Now, in Twenty-aught-thirteen, with PC's hundreds even thousands of times more powerful...this...THIS is what we get?! I'M NOT BUYING IT! I'M NOT PLAYING IT EITHER!

This is a straight analog to how Lucas was forced to make the original trilogy with the funding and technology of the day, which put serious limitations on what he could do, thus giving him a challenge that he had to overcome in order to be successful. The second trilogy is proof that when those limitations are removed, when the challenge is no longer there, the passion is lost. THIS...*points finger in disgust* whatever it is...is also proof that when you have no limitations on computing power or budget (since it's Disney holding the checkbook), the challenge to make a good game within a limited space and amount of resources is gone, and thus with it, the passion to make things the way they should be...THE WAY TRUE STAR WARS SPACE COMBAT SIM FANS WANT THEM TO BE!

THIS HAS TO STOP! Stop making garbage for a quick buck and actually find a developer that will pour it's heart and soul into a game that is worthy of the lineage...

=-Rigs-=

Its all about the bottonm line dude. World of Tanks. Mechwarrior Online. They dont give a shit about making good games. Its all about the MOOLLAAHHH!

I have a nifty blue line!

51. Re: Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Revealed Dec 18, 2013, 03:16 Jackplug

Oh my god, please someone take the starwars license off them.
That was the cheapest, sadest, lamest, worst animation ever and it will only get more cheesy/kiddish when the gameplay starts.

50. Re: Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Revealed Dec 17, 2013, 23:24 Task

nin wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 21:55:
Task wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 18:11:
The sad part is many of the younger generation of gamers will buy into this. The "prequel generation" that wasn't entirely sure what their Mom and Dad were talking about the "old better Star Wars ruined by the evil Lord Lucas."

They will discover their Mom or Dad's copy of TIE Fighter and try to play it and be all, like "ah this has stooopid graphics and its too hard. Also it doesn't have my favorite Jedi or Jar Jar in it."

With any of you older games here with kids, it is our duty to show them the better SW of yore and the gaming boom that occurred from it in the late 90s, 00s. They must not go to the Dark Side of Lord Lucas.

I'd like to once again pimp the documentary The People vs George Lucas. Still streaming on netflix and a love letter to any classic SW fan.

That's good, but this also is a must watch.

Red Letter Media The Phantom Menace

49. Re: Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Revealed Dec 17, 2013, 22:18 Eirikrautha

Rigs wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 13:49:
Fuck me! Is it asking too much to get a semi-hi-fidelity space-combat sim set in the Star Wars universe around here?!? You know, back in the day, when the PC sim audience was about a TENTH of what it is now, try to guess what LucasArts was pushing out every year or so? Yup, that's right, a serious SPACE-COMBAT SIM set in the Star Wars universe and you wanna know somethin' else? IT FUCKING RULED! Literally! It was PC GAMER'S BEST PC GAME OF ALL TIME! Now, in Twenty-aught-thirteen, with PC's hundreds even thousands of times more powerful...this...THIS is what we get?! I'M NOT BUYING IT! I'M NOT PLAYING IT EITHER!

This is a straight analog to how Lucas was forced to make the original trilogy with the funding and technology of the day, which put serious limitations on what he could do, thus giving him a challenge that he had to overcome in order to be successful. The second trilogy is proof that when those limitations are removed, when the challenge is no longer there, the passion is lost. THIS...*points finger in disgust* whatever it is...is also proof that when you have no limitations on computing power or budget (since it's Disney holding the checkbook), the challenge to make a good game within a limited space and amount of resources is gone, and thus with it, the passion to make things the way they should be...THE WAY TRUE STAR WARS SPACE COMBAT SIM FANS WANT THEM TO BE!

THIS HAS TO STOP! Stop making garbage for a quick buck and actually find a developer that will pour it's heart and soul into a game that is worthy of the lineage...

=-Rigs-=

Dude, will you calm down! It's not like it's FTP...

It is?

Well, it's not like its by some studio I've never heard of...

Oh, it is?

It's not like they can nickle and dime you on the ships, 'cause an X-Wing is an X-Wing, right...?

Wait... "players customize iconic Star Wars ships..."

OK.

My bad... rant away... Furious2

48. Re: Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Revealed Dec 17, 2013, 22:18 jdreyer

"Set shields to double front!"

Oh, wait. Nope, this game is too dumbed down for that.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

47. Re: Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Revealed Dec 17, 2013, 21:55 nin

The sad part is many of the younger generation of gamers will buy into this. The "prequel generation" that wasn't entirely sure what their Mom and Dad were talking about the "old better Star Wars ruined by the evil Lord Lucas."

They will discover their Mom or Dad's copy of TIE Fighter and try to play it and be all, like "ah this has stooopid graphics and its too hard. Also it doesn't have my favorite Jedi or Jar Jar in it."

With any of you older games here with kids, it is our duty to show them the better SW of yore and the gaming boom that occurred from it in the late 90s, 00s. They must not go to the Dark Side of Lord Lucas.

I'd like to once again pimp the documentary The People vs George Lucas. Still streaming on netflix and a love letter to any classic SW fan.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

46. Re: Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Revealed Dec 17, 2013, 21:46 Fletch

F2P...

wtf?

45. Re: Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Revealed Dec 17, 2013, 21:36 Hudson187

^ This.

My wife and I are having our first this March and this child of mine, my spawn, WILL be subjected to the games that I grew up with. No XboxONE, no PS4, no iPad. My child is getting a DOS 6.22 based PC and a NES. Let this child see and feel what imagination is, what awesome is. 16-Bit will then enter their world, along with a Win98 based PC. Nothing newer than that until they are 16...

44. Re: Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Revealed Dec 17, 2013, 21:09 SlimRam

*Watching the video* What THA? What kinda...

OH HEEEEEEEEEEEEELL NO!

I would rather hit myself in the balls, continuously, for one hour with my 21 ounce framing hammer than to subject myself to another second of this rancid, stepped in, pile of BANTHA SHIT! Furious2

Slightly Off Movie Quotes:

"I love the smell of napalm and 'Fruity Pebbles' in the morning."

Bill Kilgore - Apocalypse Now

43. Re: Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Revealed Dec 17, 2013, 19:42 A51Abductee

Wow, how many Star Wars sound effects and re-tread cliches can they pack into a single 50-second game trailer.  

42. Re: Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Revealed Dec 17, 2013, 18:59 HorrorScope

NegaDeath wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 13:57:
Allow me to play devils advocate and suggest maybe this is their way of testing the waters for the desire for a full X-Wing sim.

Testing the waters by sabotaging them?

41. Re: Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Revealed Dec 17, 2013, 18:58 HorrorScope

My Eyes!  

40. Re: Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Revealed Dec 17, 2013, 18:43 Wildone

Bcus they are doing in the shittiest suckiest ass way possible thats why

39. Re: Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Revealed Dec 17, 2013, 18:17 The Half Elf

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

38. Re: Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Revealed Dec 17, 2013, 18:11 Task

37. Re: Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Revealed Dec 17, 2013, 17:45 ViRGE

By the way, does anyone have any information on the developer? Area 52 Games seems to be a new studio, as I can't find any sign of previous work. In which case, what studio/group is this group drawn from?  

56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo