Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DayZ Early Access

Steam now offers early access to DayZ, the standalone game based on the Arma II zombie modification of the same name. Here's the warning about what this does and does not include: "DayZ Early Access is your chance to experience DayZ as it evolves throughout its development process. Be aware that our Early Access offer is a representation of our core pillars, and the framework we have created around them. It is a work in progress and therefore contains a variety of bugs. We strongly advise you not to buy and play the game at this stage unless you clearly understand what Early Access means and are interested in participating in the ongoing development cycle." Here's the overview of the project:

DayZ is a gritty, authentic, open-world survival horror hybrid-MMO game, in which players follow a single goal: to survive in the harsh post-apocalyptic landscape as long as they can. Players can experience powerful events and emotions arising from the ever-evolving emergent gameplay. There are no superficial tips, waypoints, built in tutorials or help given to players. Every decision matters, there are no save games, no extra lives, every mistake can be lethal. If you fail, you lose everything and you need to play again from the beginning with nothing but your wits, and your two hands. Fight the hostile environment, where every other player can be friend or foe and nothing can be taken for granted.

View
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

17. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 17:47 Mad Max RW

Frags4Fun wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 17:46:
The amount of fail in the Steam Dayz forums is beyond comprehension. I guess basic reading comprehension is non-existent these days.

Every single dumb fucker on the early access boards should have their Steam account banned.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 17:46 Frags4Fun

The amount of fail in the Steam Dayz forums is beyond comprehension. I guess basic reading comprehension is non-existent these days.  

15. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 17:42 Panickd

djinn wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 17:22:
Panickd wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 16:57:
Frijoles wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 16:21:
I played the Arma II version when it first came out. Other players were more of a threat than the zombies. I recall them removing any sort of negative punishment for killing other players, to make it more realistic. Is that still the case?

Beyond the "bandit" clothes was there ever any real punishment for being a dick in DayZ? No. And there still isn't beyond other players hunting down the dick in question which hardly ever happens. DayZ is what happens when you let people play to their basest instincts in game form. Even the people who would usually be friendly have a shoot first mentality because to not do so is to repeat hours of belly crawling for the basic needs of your survival. It gets old fast and isn't worth $10 let alone $30.

Vanilla gets old very fast. Looks like standalone adds even more tedium than the original (shoes wearing out?). Private hives and the mod community have been tweaking the rules and loot spawn to much better ratios in my opinion. Haven't played vanilla since last year.

When mods are required to fix a game that is itself a mod, that's just plain bad design. Not that DayZ ever had much real "design" to it. I'm seeing pretty much the same scenario playing out in Nether. You can never do anything beyond a few hours because some dick is going to come along out of the blue and shoot you and make you start from square one again. There is a reason most PvP MMO's don't do the permadeath thing: it's not fucking fun!

14. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 17:25 DangerDog

Frags4Fun wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 15:46:
What's wrong with the price? $30 is a steal! I'm buying this as soon as I get home.

$15 would be a huge stretch, in the end you're just going to be playing a slightly more polished version of the Arma II mod. They're not even using Arma III improved engine for the base of the game.

One person's junk is another person's treasure.

Have fun.

13. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 17:22 djinn

Panickd wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 16:57:
I played the Arma II version when it first came out. Other players were more of a threat than the zombies. I recall them removing any sort of negative punishment for killing other players, to make it more realistic. Is that still the case?

Beyond the "bandit" clothes was there ever any real punishment for being a dick in DayZ? No. And there still isn't beyond other players hunting down the dick in question which hardly ever happens. DayZ is what happens when you let people play to their basest instincts in game form. Even the people who would usually be friendly have a shoot first mentality because to not do so is to repeat hours of belly crawling for the basic needs of your survival. It gets old fast and isn't worth $10 let alone $30.

Vanilla gets old very fast. Looks like standalone adds even more tedium than the original (shoes wearing out?). Private hives and the mod community have been tweaking the rules and loot spawn to much better ratios in my opinion. Haven't played vanilla since last year.

12. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 17:18 Dagnamit

Between this, Just Cause 2 multiplayer mod (out today!), and a Scottish Ale that needs a-brewin', my night is booked. TOO MUCH THINGSSZZZ!!!  

11. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 17:15 djinn

I only recently met one person who was friendly and that was first guy in about 12 months.

I bitched about the lack of friendlies for so long and eventually capitulated and became a bandit. Basically everyone shoots on sight now.

However once you get that and accept it, it actually wasn't as bad as it seemed. Still think it would be better to have stronger deterrents for bandits though, just to make the concept of them fit the game world more. 99% of people just murdering for no reason makes no sense at all.

[edit] I see a design flaw here too. If everyone devolves into bandits and you get a little humanity for killing a bandit, wont it reach some sort of equilibrium for the humanity value in the long term?

10. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 16:57 Panickd

9. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 16:35 Sir Graves

$30??! No way, man.  

8. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 16:27 jacobvandy

There was never really a punishment, it just made you look like a bandit instead of a civilian if you "murdered" enough people. But "murders" are only kills against other survivors (as opposed to bandits), and the population was never, ever neatly divided into player-killers and co-operators, so being a bandit for defending yourself against other survivors trying to kill you didn't mean much. And most people seek after the lootable clothing that camouflages you anyway, so even if you were a bandit, nobody could tell if you were wearing a soldier's uniform or ghillie suit that overrides the default skin.  

7. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 16:21 Frijoles

6. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 16:03 Whiskers

Yeah, this game has a huge following. It's too bad half they didn't share some of the features with Arma 3.

I'll just wait for a big sale to pick this up when it's done. Hopefully they add some type of end game or purpose to work with people and the zombies are actually a threat.

5. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 15:46 Frags4Fun

What's wrong with the price? $30 is a steal! I'm buying this as soon as I get home.  

4. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 15:42 jacobvandy

Sadly, an all-caps message like that at the top of the store page is pretty much a requirement now, what with all the morons ignorant of what Early Access means or even that the game they just bought is a part of the program at all.

I was surprised by the price, based on previous statements made about following the Minecraft model and what the price of the finished product would be. Unlike a lot of other games, there are legitimate reasons to ask WTF is up with that here. Ultimately comes down to that they're charging it just because they can, most likely.

3. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 15:37 harlock

this should be fun  

2. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 15:36 SpectralMeat

It instantly jumped to the #1 spot on the Steam top seller list.
Check out forums full of complainers already about the price.
This is why we can't have nice things!

Steam: SpectralMeat

1. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 15:35 Quboid

"We strongly advise you not to buy and play the game at this stage unless you clearly understand what Early Access means and are interested in participating in the ongoing development cycle"

What % of players understand not to bitch? What % of players report any issues?

50%/20% feels optimistic.

- Quboid

57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo