Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DayZ Early Access

Steam now offers early access to DayZ, the standalone game based on the Arma II zombie modification of the same name. Here's the warning about what this does and does not include: "DayZ Early Access is your chance to experience DayZ as it evolves throughout its development process. Be aware that our Early Access offer is a representation of our core pillars, and the framework we have created around them. It is a work in progress and therefore contains a variety of bugs. We strongly advise you not to buy and play the game at this stage unless you clearly understand what Early Access means and are interested in participating in the ongoing development cycle." Here's the overview of the project:

DayZ is a gritty, authentic, open-world survival horror hybrid-MMO game, in which players follow a single goal: to survive in the harsh post-apocalyptic landscape as long as they can. Players can experience powerful events and emotions arising from the ever-evolving emergent gameplay. There are no superficial tips, waypoints, built in tutorials or help given to players. Every decision matters, there are no save games, no extra lives, every mistake can be lethal. If you fail, you lose everything and you need to play again from the beginning with nothing but your wits, and your two hands. Fight the hostile environment, where every other player can be friend or foe and nothing can be taken for granted.

View
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

37. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 20:21 WoodroweBones19

grudgebearer wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 19:42:
RamataKahn wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 19:12:
grudgebearer wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 19:07:
Why in all holy hell does anyone want to pay a company to alpha/beta test their game?

No one is.

I guess I must be misunderstanding the part where you pay the devs to play an unfinished game and participate "in the ongoing development cycle."

If you had to pay again when the game was "Finished" then yes you'd be paying to beta test their game. However since the price you pay is actually for the finished game you are basically getting the OPTIONAL ability to play early access for free

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 20:03 djinn

Panickd wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 17:42:
When mods are required to fix a game that is itself a mod, that's just plain bad design.

Agree. They've already taken it too far into grind territory. Some of the private hives have better design timing overall. Setup in a way that gives you a good couple hour session without the endless grind of vanilla.

35. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 19:53 Kosumo

Creston wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 19:37:
Egosoft charged me for my X-Rebirth pre-order about ten minutes after I placed it.

For fun, can you tell us how you felt when you first found out they had charged you that early, and then how you felt after you played X-Rebirth.

Go on, it will be like an early Christmas present
Xmastree Gorgeous Santa King Ignoring

34. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 19:45 Angrius Maximis

A game where all you do is walk around and get sniped by other players? No thanks I can do that in BF4  

33. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 19:42 grudgebearer

RamataKahn wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 19:12:
Why in all holy hell does anyone want to pay a company to alpha/beta test their game?

No one is.

I guess I must be misunderstanding the part where you pay the devs to play an unfinished game and participate "in the ongoing development cycle."

'I'm not going to walk in through the front door - or the side door - and let you do the talking, just like that. You think I got this old not knowing how to stay alive?'
- Harlon Nayl

32. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 19:37 Creston

harlock wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 18:50:
Alamar wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 18:21:
Yet, it's infinitely better than pre-orders, which have become increasingly popular the last decade,

-Alamar

i dont do preorders.. but i thought they dont actually charge you the money until the day the product actually ships out to you.. has this changed? i thought they are more like "reservations" than actual purchases

Amazon doesn't charge you until it ships. Egosoft charged me for my X-Rebirth pre-order about ten minutes after I placed it.

Not sure about other places.

31. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 19:35 Creston

So in essence, because this is still early access and bugged, they're now charging for the mod that was once free? Good deal.  

30. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 19:29 Quboid

JayDeath wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 18:10:
I want the SA already. This game was supposed to be launched sometime in the beginning of the year and now they announce this early access shit? I'm taking that as the devs aren't anywhere near done with the game. That's why I'm annoyed. And no, as much as I love this game, I refuse to buy into this early access scheme.

That's exactly it, they aren't anywhere near done. If it wasn't this, it wouldn't be released much sooner. You're annoyed at the delay but that's got little to do with early access. I expect early access slows down development a bit as it's more to do and I suspect it's of limited use in terms of finding bugs but it won't slow them down much and the game wouldn't be ready anyway.

In many cases (probably not this) it wouldn't be released at all as the funding is needed to finance development. By-passing meddling publishers is a good thing but that can only be done if the developers have money before releasing the game.

I don't mind early access. I mind early access games being released as final products; Day One Garry's Incident and X Rebirth for example.

- Quboid

29. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 19:27 J

Whiskers wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 16:03:
when it's done.

Lol_dies

28. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 19:12 RamataKahn

No one is.

27. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 19:07 grudgebearer

'I'm not going to walk in through the front door - or the side door - and let you do the talking, just like that. You think I got this old not knowing how to stay alive?'
- Harlon Nayl

26. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 19:00 HorrorScope

I like and don't like the Early Access idea, the only reason I don't like it, is because so many have just jumped on it. I have a couple and have 17 I'm watching. So probably double that amount that I'm not. It's just like every other day another one pops up, seems like it's getting a bit out of hand. But the killer is the person that really argues about it. You know up front you are getting in early beta, so I don't understand what they don't get.  

25. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 18:50 harlock

Alamar wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 18:21:
Yet, it's infinitely better than pre-orders, which have become increasingly popular the last decade,

-Alamar

i dont do preorders.. but i thought they dont actually charge you the money until the day the product actually ships out to you.. has this changed? i thought they are more like "reservations" than actual purchases

24. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 18:21 Alamar

harlock wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 18:10:
Parias wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 18:05:
What's there to be disappointed about? Not quite following your logic.

devs getting paid for unfinished work? could be a bit demotivational, theoretically

getting the equivalent moneys for a fully finished and complete game before actually doing the work to make it fully finished and complete - theres the logic

Yet, it's infinitely better than pre-orders, which have become increasingly popular the last decade, especially for consoles, where the store gets to sit on that money for months... Much better the developers, who are actually working to make the game... Or paying their employees.

Personally, as a huge fan of choice, I think early access is great, for a lot of titles... But I feel I'm in the minority, because I can hold off buying a game until release (or even, seasonal sale) if I don't think it's worth it. I think I have pre-ordered three titles in my life, or, I can think of three, and it may actually be closer to 5. I don't regret any of them, and for the ones unreleased, I look forward to playing more of the game, when it's available.

-Alamar

23. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 18:10 JayDeath

JayDeath wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 17:59:
Am I the only one who has a problem with this early access bullshit? It seems many devs are jumping on to this way of development and I don't like it! I refuse to pay for an unfinished game, even at a discount. I don't get it.
I put well over 600 hours into the mod and I was so excited for the SA but this is bullshit. In this case, it isn't the price either. I want a complete game!
I'm very disappointed about this.

Then... don't pay for early access? You're doing this exactly the correct way; if you want to wait for the finished product, don't buy it until it's out the door. This otherwise is an optional benefit for people who want to bug-test the game early. You're not obligated in any way to pay for the game until it's actually done.

I want the SA already. This game was supposed to be launched sometime in the beginning of the year and now they announce this early access shit? I'm taking that as the devs aren't anywhere near done with the game. That's why I'm annoyed. And no, as much as I love this game, I refuse to buy into this early access scheme.

This comment was edited on Dec 16, 2013, 18:17.

Steam: Henry Krinkle

I want a new Brothers in Arms game!

22. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 18:10 harlock

devs getting paid for unfinished work? could be a bit demotivational, theoretically

getting the equivalent moneys for a fully finished and complete game before actually doing the work to make it fully finished and complete - theres the logic

21. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 18:09 JayDeath

20. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 18:05 Parias

JayDeath wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 17:59:
Am I the only one who has a problem with this early access bullshit? It seems many devs are jumping on to this way of development and I don't like it! I refuse to pay for an unfinished game, even at a discount. I don't get it.
I put well over 600 hours into the mod and I was so excited for the SA but this is bullshit. In this case, it isn't the price either. I want a complete game!

Then... don't pay for early access? You're doing this exactly the correct way; if you want to wait for the finished product, don't buy it until it's out the door. This otherwise is an optional benefit for people who want to bug-test the game early. You're not obligated in any way to pay for the game until it's actually done.

19. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 18:00 Frags4Fun

Mad Max RW wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 17:47:
Frags4Fun wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 17:46:
The amount of fail in the Steam Dayz forums is beyond comprehension. I guess basic reading comprehension is non-existent these days.

Every single dumb fucker on the early access boards should have their Steam account banned.

Yeah, even a temporary ban would be good to see. Talk about morons. /facepalm

18. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 17:59 JayDeath

57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo