Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Some movie watching was part of escaping the snow over the weekend here in the BlueTower, and two of the films on the bill were North By Northwest and Notorious, in part because I wanted to address my lack of appreciation of Hitchcock. For some reason I had only previously seen a few of his works, and the only one that really stood out was Rebecca. This seems like it all ties in some way together this morning as I see the coincidental news of the death of Rebecca star Joan Fontaine. This was the second coincidence I noticed about this, because I was struck while watching North By Northwest that the cast includes Leo G. Carroll and Ed Platt, each of whom played heads of spy agencies in 60s TV series, The Man from U.N.C.L.E. and Get Smart respectively, which I think was pretty cool. Oddly, Platt's character was named Victor Larrabee, and his assistant on Get Smart was also named Larabee. I better stop now, before one of these spy agencies realizes I know too much.

R.I.P.: Peter O'Toole, star of Lawrence of Arabia, dies aged 81.
R.I.P.: Legendary Actress Joan Fontaine Dies at 96.
R.I.P.: Tom Laughlin, Star of 'Billy Jack,' Dead at 82.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Hero in the Ocean.
Link: 5 Ridiculous Ways People Got Out of Traffic Tickets.
Stories: Tributes paid to Lawrence of Arabia star Peter O'Toole.
Construction workers concrete truck to the pavement. Thanks TheFlyingPenguin.
Media: Peter O'Toole Was a God Amongst Men. Thanks nin.
Orson Welles and Peter O'Toole on Hamlet.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2013, 12:24 jdreyer

SlimRam wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 23:55:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 22:44:
SlimRam wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 19:48:

Kick 'sum hippy ass in Heaven Billy! Hippy

I'm pretty sure Billy Jack was protecting the hippies, not punching them.

Also, here's that scene.

One thing I never understood about the BJ movies (and I watched them fairly young so maybe it was my literal child's mind) is that he ever looked even a smidge of Indian to me at all.

Yeah, he was a Vietnam vet and he was a drifter that was "FIGHTIN' THE MAN!" And yes, he loved the hippies. Even that Godawful Jean or whatever her name was. That chick was fugly and I imagine as hairy as Selena Gomezs' upper lip before her daily waxing.

And from what I remember he was half white and half indian but embraced the Indian side but yeah, no, didn't look indian Huh

It boggles the mind that he was like 40 in that movie. Looks like he was 20. Also, that Jean woman was his wife in real life. He stayed married to her for nearly 60 years and they were still married when he passed, so while I didn't find her attractive either, I gotta tip my hat to that kind of commitment.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2013, 23:55 SlimRam

jdreyer wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 22:44:

Also, here's that scene.

One thing I never understood about the BJ movies (and I watched them fairly young so maybe it was my literal child's mind) is that he ever looked even a smidge of Indian to me at all.

Yeah, he was a Vietnam vet and he was a drifter that was "FIGHTIN' THE MAN!" And yes, he loved the hippies. Even that Godawful Jean or whatever her name was. That chick was fugly and I imagine as hairy as Selena Gomezs' upper lip before her daily waxing.

And from what I remember he was half white and half indian but embraced the Indian side but yeah, no, didn't look indian Huh

I'm bringing Sexy Back

Luckily, I kept the receipt

22. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2013, 22:48 jdreyer

nin wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 21:38:
Agent.X7 wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 20:50:
Just saw The Desolation of Smaug. I thought it was great. I know purists are going to have conniptions over the last 40 minutes, and maybe I was the only one to see the ending coming, but people in the theater were not happy that it basically ends in the middle of an action scene.

On the plus side: LEGOLAS! Kickin' ass. has the best action sequences alongside Tauriel. Smaug! Looks great, sounds awesome. (To be fair, anybody could have done his voice as it had a lot of effects applied.) Mirkwood looked fantastic, as did Erebor. Luke was actually a good choice for Bard.

ON the negative side: Beorn. Wait, was he in this movie? And also, perhaps an intermission would be a nice thing for a 2 horu and 40 minute movie. Love the long movies, but man I had to pee by the end.

Hoping to see that over new years. Really looking forward to it.

Yeah, I'll be going to see it soon. My daughter's dying to see it.

Although I was a huge LOTR fan, I thought the first Hobbit movie was a bit too much. The action was cartoony, and I didn't like the whole arc with the white orc, and thought the way they got captured by the trolls was silly. There were still things to like, and I liked it more on second viewing, but it's flawed. I hear that this movie has fewer flaws, so I'm looking forward to it.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2013, 22:44 jdreyer

Also, here's that scene.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2013, 21:54 BobBob

Cutter wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 18:39:
Julio wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 17:43:
Love the sidewalk truck. Totally deserved.

What the hell is that? I didn't know VW make pickups. I've certainly never seen one in my life. Man, I'd love one of those. It's so hard finding a small pickup here. Nevermind anything that's AWD and diesel. Which is precisely what I need.

I'm fairly cliche Southern Californian. I drive a Prius C. I refuse to pay more for gas. When there is heavy traffic, I often get 62 + MPG. I'm waiting for the Telsa to drop in price.

This comment was edited on Dec 16, 2013, 22:03.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2013, 21:38 nin

Agent.X7 wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 20:50:
Just saw The Desolation of Smaug. I thought it was great. I know purists are going to have conniptions over the last 40 minutes, and maybe I was the only one to see the ending coming, but people in the theater were not happy that it basically ends in the middle of an action scene.

On the plus side: LEGOLAS! Kickin' ass. has the best action sequences alongside Tauriel. Smaug! Looks great, sounds awesome. (To be fair, anybody could have done his voice as it had a lot of effects applied.) Mirkwood looked fantastic, as did Erebor. Luke was actually a good choice for Bard.

ON the negative side: Beorn. Wait, was he in this movie? And also, perhaps an intermission would be a nice thing for a 2 horu and 40 minute movie. Love the long movies, but man I had to pee by the end.

Hoping to see that over new years. Really looking forward to it.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

18. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2013, 20:50 Agent.X7

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2013, 19:48 SlimRam

R.I.P.: Tom Laughlin, Star of 'Billy Jack,' Dead at 82.

Billy Jack: You know what I think I'm gonna do then? Just for the hell of it?
Mr. Posner: Tell me.
Billy Jack: I'm gonna take this right foot, and I'm gonna whop you on that side of your face...
[points to Posner's right cheek]
Billy Jack: ...and you wanna know something? There's not a damn thing you're gonna be able to do about it.
Mr. Posner: Really?
Billy Jack: Really.
[kicks Posner's right cheek, sending him to the ground]

I'm bringing Sexy Back

Luckily, I kept the receipt

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2013, 19:02  Blue 

Cutter wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 18:39:

What the hell is that? I didn't know VW make pickups. I've certainly never seen one in my life. Man, I'd love one of those. It's so hard finding a small pickup here. Nevermind anything that's AWD and diesel. Which is precisely what I need.

You might be able to get a good price on that one.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2013, 18:39 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2013, 17:43 Julio

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2013, 17:21 Creston

Agent.X7 wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 15:20:
So, they just patched BF4 today. Broke the game for SLI/Dual GPU cards. Awesome.

http://tinyurl.com/lfw3yxc

Sounds like a typical day for EA.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2013, 15:20 Agent.X7

So, they just patched BF4 today. Broke the game for SLI/Dual GPU cards. Awesome.

http://tinyurl.com/lfw3yxc

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2013, 14:02 xXBatmanXx

For those of you with Vita, PS3, PS4, Spelunky is $3.74 - perfect game for the Vita. Endless.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2013, 13:44 BobBob

Being raised and living in California, I seem to have this dislike for celebrities or at least the fandom surrounding them. I'll mourn the death of a teacher, police person, paramedic or a local park maintenance crew member before I shed a tear for the loss of a celebrity.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2013, 13:33 xXBatmanXx

jdreyer wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 13:00:
If you've not seen Rear Window and Vertigo, those are two of Hitchcock's greatest.

QFT

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2013, 13:02 Verno

TorchMaster wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 12:41:
I'm baaack. 11-4. Dallas makes me laugh even though I've missed on them the last two weeks.

They should just start taking Romo out at the end of the third quarter.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2013, 13:00 jdreyer

If you've not seen Rear Window and Vertigo, those are two of Hitchcock's greatest.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2013, 12:53 xXBatmanXx

Coming on strong in the end - 12 wins. MIA beat NE! hahaha my long shot was right.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2013, 12:42 Cutter

Verno wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 10:20:
I was on a Robert Redford back catalogue kick on the weekend, much to my girlfriends chagrin. Three Days of the Condor followed by The Sting and capped off with The Candidate. I think I'll get hemorrhoids if I sit on the couch any longer.

Peter O'Toole had some great performances in his career too, damned shame

Got totally destroyed on my football picks too, big WTF at the Saints.

Love those flicks. I'm going to be watching Night of the Generals, The Lion in Winter and Becket for a Peter O'Toole marathon.

RIP Billy Jack, always loved that film.

And I'm 10-5 going into tonight. Your goddamned Lions better win, Seph!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo