Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

SteamOS Beta Released

Valve has released the first public version of SteamOS, offering the promised chance to check out their game-centric Linux fork. A new SteamOS FAQ has all you need to know about this, and it seems advisable to remember their earlier warning that a comfort level with Linux is advisable before playing with this. Here's word on the origins of this:

SteamOS is a fork (derivative) of Debian GNU/Linux. The first version (SteamOS 1.0) is called 'alchemist' and it is based on the Debian 'wheezy' (stable 7.1) distribution.
The major changes made in SteamOS are:

• Backported eglibc 2.17 from Debian testing
  • Added various third-party drivers and updated graphics stack (Intel and AMD graphics support still being worked on)
  • Updated kernel tracking the 3.10 longterm branch (currently 3.10.11)
  • Custom graphics compositor designed to provide a seamless transition between Steam, its games and the SteamOS system overlay
  • Configured to auto-update from the Valve SteamOS repositories

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: SteamOS Beta Released Dec 14, 2013, 14:40 nin

Clancy wrote on Dec 14, 2013, 13:31:
DrEvil wrote on Dec 14, 2013, 01:58:
SirKnight wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 21:57:
Looks like it's finally time to partition my Xubuntu drive in half (1TB) to make room for SteamOS.

You can't do that; the installer (regardless of whether you pick expert mode) WILL ERASE YOUR ENTIRE HARD DRIVE.
Ouch!
Do they even tell you this, or does it just go and do its thing ?

Q: How do I install SteamOS?
There are two different install methods for SteamOS. '''WARNING: BOTH METHODS WILL ERASE EVERYTHING ON THE MACHINE'''

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: SteamOS Beta Released Dec 14, 2013, 13:31 Clancy

DrEvil wrote on Dec 14, 2013, 01:58:
Looks like it's finally time to partition my Xubuntu drive in half (1TB) to make room for SteamOS.

You can't do that; the installer (regardless of whether you pick expert mode) WILL ERASE YOUR ENTIRE HARD DRIVE.
Ouch!
Do they even tell you this, or does it just go and do its thing ?

8. Re: SteamOS Beta Released Dec 14, 2013, 01:58 DrEvil

7. Re: SteamOS Beta Released Dec 13, 2013, 23:54 Xil

Smart they did not base it on ubuntu but went upstream to debian. installer seems to want to use the whole machine though  

6. Re: SteamOS Beta Released Dec 13, 2013, 23:18 Redmask

It's very rough but interesting, still a lot of stuff to be implemented though like the streaming, movies and tv support.  

5. Re: SteamOS Beta Released Dec 13, 2013, 22:00 SS

Sweet downloading now. I hope my Asus uses NVidia  

4. Re: SteamOS Beta Released Dec 13, 2013, 21:57 SirKnight

3. Re: SteamOS Beta Released Dec 13, 2013, 21:54 dubfanatic

Damn, only Nvidia support for now. I was hoping to install this on my HTPC but it just uses the built-in Intel graphics. Oh well, it will probably be more stable by the time they add it anyway.  

2. Re: SteamOS Beta Released Dec 13, 2013, 21:43 Burrito of Peace

FUCK YEAH! Downloading to install in a VM now.  

1. Re: Into the Black Dec 13, 2013, 21:43 NegaDeath

And away we go.  

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo