Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M

Startup Oculus VR is securing another $75 million in funding as they work to bring affordable Oculus Rift virtual reality headsets to the public. Wired.com reports that this round of Series B funding should close today, adding to $16 million in Series A funding raised in June and the $2.4 million raised by the project's Kickstarter for a total of over $93 million. The first units for consumers are expected next year, and according to Oculus CEO Brendan Iribe they are not looking to raise any more capital between now and then: "We’re certainly planning for this to be it as far as funding until the consumer version launches."

View
80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

20. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 11:16 panbient

MindStalker3 wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 10:55:
I doubt in the 90s you really could have put a decent resolution display in such a small package without huge weight issues. Today with screen technology its finally possible.

Oh man, remember that headset that came out around the time one of the Star Wars Dark Forces games? It only weighed about 9 pounds on your forehead.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 11:15 Wildone

I heard it was because they didn't have any translational tracking on the head (only rotational?) or something..there's other systems out there that people claim do not produce motion sickness because of that. I admit it left me queezy for some time after using it too but its almost worth it its so cool..  

18. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 11:07 Paul D van den Berg

As an owner of the Oculus Rift development kit, I can confirm that the experience (even if pixelated) already is jaw-dropping. Playing Skyrim in beautiful full FOV stereoscopic 3d with no ghosting etc. and no-latency head tracking is unlike anything you've experienced before. They already have a 1080p version available which is significantly better looking (but which I haven't tried).  

17. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 11:05 Frags4Fun

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 10:40:
siapnar wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 10:28:
I'm pretty pumped for the Oculus Rift.
This is a step towards having fully VR environments where you can walk around inside a video game.

Think about being equipped with a VR headset and mock weapon, put in a warehouse with padded boxes/shapes that represent objects in the game level that you view in the headset. The warehouse is identically mapped out to that of the level you play, and your movement is tracked by a plethora of tracking cameras.

I can dream, can't I?

If the technology involved is affordable and sturdy enough you can expect local entertainment places to spring up offering such a thing. Though it remains to be seen whether the motion sickness problem is fixed or not. There must be some trick and method that can be applied to an image or the motion in a game to prevent it, but nobody ever did real research in that direction.

Unfortunately, there is no way to "fix" the motion sickness. Once you try it, you'll see that it's just something that you gotta get used to rather than being something that can be fixed. When you move your head or body and the screen doesn't match up with what your brain is expecting from your physical senses, it causes the sickness, dizziness, and can even make you reach out to stop yourself from falling at times. It's also dangerous for people with high blood pressure because for some reason it stresses your heart. It might be something that we can learn to overcome, but there is no technical fix. There's also the problem where it messes up your real world vision after you take them off. I experience balance issues as well as having trouble focusing on objects at different distances and it took me about a half hour to feel normal again. I sure hope that there will be a way to test them out before buying them because many people are going to find that they can't use them.

I know that some of you will reject what I am saying because you want these things so badly, but you'll find out what I mean once you use them. It really does make you feel sick and it starts almost immediately. I can only go 10-15 minutes before it becomes too stressful. Very disappointing. It might not affect everyone the same way either so that's why I hope people have a way to test drive them first.

This comment was edited on Dec 13, 2013, 11:21.

16. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 11:01 Wildone

I woulda bought the LOW RES version already, already knowing an even better one is on the way. If you tried it you will want it almost no question.  

15. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 10:55 MindStalker3

Shataan wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 10:45:
"Currently the problem is the resolution"

That was my whole point. And the resolution is NOT a problem. They have easy access to high rez usable view screens. Their problem is not a technical issue.

It is a MONEY issue. Same as it was back in the day. They wanted PROFIT, so they cheaped out on the displays resulting in pixelated mess. Now they are trying to find an acceptably high rez display..... for as cheap as possible.

what they should do, is deliver it with a decent high rez display.... and take a bit of a loss much like Sony did with the PS 3. Better this, than shipping a less than decent display. Sony took the loss, but not they are everywhere.

I doubt in the 90s you really could have put a decent resolution display in such a small package without huge weight issues. Today with screen technology its finally possible.

I would be willing to bet they will offer multiple models with different resolutions. No reason they can't appease all possible consumers.

14. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 10:54 theyarecomingforyou

It is a MONEY issue. Same as it was back in the day. They wanted PROFIT, so they cheaped out on the displays resulting in pixelated mess. Now they are trying to find an acceptably high rez display..... for as cheap as possible.
What a retarded claim. No company sets out to make a loss. Economic realities will always be a factor in devices like this but the consumer device will be 1080p+, which is the minimum needed to balance cost with fidelity. They have stated that 4K will be supported in future models but the reality is that current GPUs simply can't support it adequately, not even with multi-GPU setups.

And cut it will the bullshit. Nobody has claimed the experience was a "pixelated mess" - in fact the response has been overwhelmingly positive, even at only 720p. That means that things can only improve.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

13. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 10:54 Hyatus

what they should do, is deliver it with a decent high rez display.... and take a bit of a loss much like Sony did with the PS 3. Better this, than shipping a less than decent display. Sony took the loss, but not they are everywhere.

Sony took a loss with the PS3 because they make up for it with licensing and PSN sales.

12. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 10:53 Loose Cannon

Are you kidding? Oculus can't sell this for a loss, it's their only way to make money. Sony could sell consoles for a loss because they take a cut of every game sold. Oculus will not get a cut of every game sold that is Rift enabled.

If you want expensive high resolution displays, Oculus will have to charge for it.

11. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 10:48 theyarecomingforyou

Think about being equipped with a VR headset and mock weapon, put in a warehouse with padded boxes/shapes that represent objects in the game level that you view in the headset. The warehouse is identically mapped out to that of the level you play, and your movement is tracked by a plethora of tracking cameras.
I doubt that'll ever happen as it simply wouldn't be practical. More likely is that games will start to use augmented reality to overlay game elements into real life, particularly through technology like Google Glass.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

10. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 10:45 Shataan

"Currently the problem is the resolution"

That was my whole point. And the resolution is NOT a problem. They have easy access to high rez usable view screens. Their problem is not a technical issue.

9. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 10:44 Mashiki Amiketo

InBlack wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 10:30:
vb

Well this thing already works great in most sims. Currently the problem is the resolution, or rather the PPi.
That's exactly the same types of problems that existed back in the 90's with VR headsets, and where they worked great including FPS's. A buddy of mine had a headset in '97ish or '98.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

8. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 10:40 jomisab

I'm sure it's easier to get funding when someone like John Carmack is your CTO.  

7. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 10:40 eRe4s3r

This is a step towards having fully VR environments where you can walk around inside a video game.

I can dream, can't I?

If the technology involved is affordable and sturdy enough you can expect local entertainment places to spring up offering such a thing. Though it remains to be seen whether the motion sickness problem is fixed or not. There must be some trick and method that can be applied to an image or the motion in a game to prevent it, but nobody ever did real research in that direction.

6. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 10:32 Wildone

It already was delivering the low res head tracking and they have HD screens already, it was already amazing before so I cant even imagine the finished version. 100% immersion this thing is the BALLZ  

5. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 10:30 InBlack

Shataan wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 10:25:
Boyos when this thing actually becomes a reality for gamers, I sure hope it actually delivers the high res headtracking goodness. There was a whole lot of promises made way back when when VR headsets were plentiful, and they ALL sucked ball. From the top priced units on down the list.

Well this thing already works great in most sims. Currently the problem is the resolution, or rather the PPi. They are aware of it though and will be upping it for the consumer version. Hell I cant wait to try it with DCS. Oh boy! oh boy! Oh boy!

I have a nifty blue line!

4. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 10:28 siapnar

I can dream, can't I?

I have projectile dysfunction.

3. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 10:25 Shataan

Boyos when this thing actually becomes a reality for gamers, I sure hope it actually delivers the high res headtracking goodness. There was a whole lot of promises made way back when when VR headsets were plentiful, and they ALL sucked ball. From the top priced units on down the list.

2. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 09:44 eRe4s3r

InBlack wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 09:42:
*beams*

Indeed, good for them and hopefully will allow to push the technology even further.

Ps.: Is it me or does Steam no longer work? (Connection failed) What the hell?.. on friday afternoon no less. Mhhh, fixed .. it downloaded update and now it works again

This comment was edited on Dec 13, 2013, 09:59.

1. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 09:42 InBlack

*beams*  

I have a nifty blue line!

80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo