Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M

Startup Oculus VR is securing another $75 million in funding as they work to bring affordable Oculus Rift virtual reality headsets to the public. Wired.com reports that this round of Series B funding should close today, adding to $16 million in Series A funding raised in June and the $2.4 million raised by the project's Kickstarter for a total of over $93 million. The first units for consumers are expected next year, and according to Oculus CEO Brendan Iribe they are not looking to raise any more capital between now and then: "We’re certainly planning for this to be it as far as funding until the consumer version launches."

View
80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

40. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 13:20 Frijoles

Creston wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 13:06:
I wonder if taking dramamine would help. But in any case, yeah, it just seems a normal bodily reaction to any kind of motion that's ... out-of-sync (so to speak).

According to the Oculus forums on Reddit, it can help. I eat ginger cookies and drink ginger ale (the ginger ale helps a lot). It sounds like most people eventually just get used to it until one day you notice you're not getting sick anymore. In fact, they've said that around Oculus, they have a bit of trouble finding people to test some of the setups because none of them are getting sick anymore, so they had trouble determining if changes they're making are helping or not.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 13:18 Ratty

Wildone wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 11:15:
I heard it was because they didn't have any translational tracking on the head (only rotational?) or something..there's other systems out there that people claim do not produce motion sickness because of that. I admit it left me queezy for some time after using it too but its almost worth it its so cool..
Don't care if I have to wear it for ten minutes, barf my guts out, then come back for ten more minutes until barf time again everyday for a month until I get used to it. I'm getting one. Sure I'll be weak and sickly from fluid loss but I'm still getting one.

38. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 13:06 Creston

Frags4Fun wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 11:05:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 10:40:
siapnar wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 10:28:
I'm pretty pumped for the Oculus Rift.
This is a step towards having fully VR environments where you can walk around inside a video game.

Think about being equipped with a VR headset and mock weapon, put in a warehouse with padded boxes/shapes that represent objects in the game level that you view in the headset. The warehouse is identically mapped out to that of the level you play, and your movement is tracked by a plethora of tracking cameras.

I can dream, can't I?

If the technology involved is affordable and sturdy enough you can expect local entertainment places to spring up offering such a thing. Though it remains to be seen whether the motion sickness problem is fixed or not. There must be some trick and method that can be applied to an image or the motion in a game to prevent it, but nobody ever did real research in that direction.

Unfortunately, there is no way to "fix" the motion sickness. Once you try it, you'll see that it's just something that you gotta get used to rather than being something that can be fixed. When you move your head or body and the screen doesn't match up with what your brain is expecting from your physical senses, it causes the sickness, dizziness, and can even make you reach out to stop yourself from falling at times. It's also dangerous for people with high blood pressure because for some reason it stresses your heart. It might be something that we can learn to overcome, but there is no technical fix. There's also the problem where it messes up your real world vision after you take them off. I experience balance issues as well as having trouble focusing on objects at different distances and it took me about a half hour to feel normal again. I sure hope that there will be a way to test them out before buying them because many people are going to find that they can't use them.

I know that some of you will reject what I am saying because you want these things so badly, but you'll find out what I mean once you use them. It really does make you feel sick and it starts almost immediately. I can only go 10-15 minutes before it becomes too stressful. Very disappointing. It might not affect everyone the same way either so that's why I hope people have a way to test drive them first.

I wonder if taking dramamine would help. But in any case, yeah, it just seems a normal bodily reaction to any kind of motion that's ... out-of-sync (so to speak).

37. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 13:05 Creston

Shataan wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 10:45:
what they should do, is deliver it with a decent high rez display.... and take a bit of a loss much like Sony did with the PS 3.

So this company that makes exactly one product, should take a bit of a loss on that one product, and then have no way whatsoever to recoup that loss?

What's the next step? ... profit?

36. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 13:02 jdreyer

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 12:26:
The Oculus Rift won't be everybody, particularly those sensitive to motion sickness. Personally it's never been an issue for me but I know some people suffer in FPS games if the FOV is off. That's why I take some of the claims being made around here with a pinch of salt, as it strikes me as highly unlikely that it will affect most people so severely.

Most of the reports have been favourable, so I'm not worried. I can't wait to get my hands on one and try it out with Star Citizen.

Also, I wonder if the sickness will be more affecting in a game with a horizon like Far Cry than it will with a game without one like Star Citizen.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

35. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 12:59 jdreyer

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 11:59:
Wildone wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 11:01:
I woulda bought the LOW RES version already, already knowing an even better one is on the way. If you tried it you will want it almost no question.

Right. It's not like a lot of us aren't playing retro pixelated games today. This is like the pioneering stages of GPU's. There are people out there (see Star Citizen) that will buy this and get this thing going for better things to come. $400 or less and I'm in, above that, it has to be get the fuck out of here, good.

They use the same screen and less hardware than a 7" tablet ($170), so this should cost close to that, maybe $200 or $300. I can't imagine it being more than that.

34. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 12:57 Sleep

Im willing to bet a lot of the motion sickness issues are down to early controller issues. The use of gamepads which also control head movement that ive seen on vids are going to cause problems. Theres no way you can have motion and conflicting inputs for your head movement and NOT be reaching for the barf bag pretty quick.  

33. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 12:54 Fibrocyte

jomisab wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 10:40:
I'm sure it's easier to get funding when someone like John Carmack is your CTO.

That's correct. When you build a company, you build it to be successful. What's the problem?

32. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 12:48 jdreyer

Wildone wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 10:32:
It already was delivering the low res head tracking and they have HD screens already, it was already amazing before so I cant even imagine the finished version. 100% immersion this thing is the BALLZ

This is one hardware application where 4K will truly make a difference.

31. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 12:26 theyarecomingforyou

The Oculus Rift won't be everybody, particularly those sensitive to motion sickness. Personally it's never been an issue for me but I know some people suffer in FPS games if the FOV is off. That's why I take some of the claims being made around here with a pinch of salt, as it strikes me as highly unlikely that it will affect most people so severely.

Most of the reports have been favourable, so I'm not worried. I can't wait to get my hands on one and try it out with Star Citizen.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

30. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 12:24 Wildone

No I think there is a way to solve it, like I said the dev kits only had rotational input (head on a stick) the new one, I think will allow translational input too (so think of leaning forward/back/left/right as well as rotational?) not sure but thats part of it..  

29. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 12:06 eRe4s3r

This is a step towards having fully VR environments where you can walk around inside a video game.

Think about being equipped with a VR headset and mock weapon, put in a warehouse with padded boxes/shapes that represent objects in the game level that you view in the headset. The warehouse is identically mapped out to that of the level you play, and your movement is tracked by a plethora of tracking cameras.

I can dream, can't I?

If the technology involved is affordable and sturdy enough you can expect local entertainment places to spring up offering such a thing. Though it remains to be seen whether the motion sickness problem is fixed or not. There must be some trick and method that can be applied to an image or the motion in a game to prevent it, but nobody ever did real research in that direction.

Unfortunately, there is no way to "fix" the motion sickness. Once you try it, you'll see that it's just something that you gotta get used to rather than being something that can be fixed. When you move your head or body and the screen doesn't match up with what your brain is expecting from your physical senses, it causes the sickness, dizziness, and can even make you reach out to stop yourself from falling at times. It's also dangerous for people with high blood pressure because for some reason it stresses your heart. It might be something that we can learn to overcome, but there is no technical fix. There's also the problem where it messes up your real world vision after you take them off. I experience balance issues as well as having trouble focusing on objects at different distances and it took me about a half hour to feel normal again. I sure hope that there will be a way to test them out before buying them because many people are going to find that they can't use them.

I know that some of you will reject what I am saying because you want these things so badly, but you'll find out what I mean once you use them. It really does make you feel sick and it starts almost immediately. I can only go 10-15 minutes before it becomes too stressful. Very disappointing. It might not affect everyone the same way either so that's why I hope people have a way to test drive them first.

I am hoping there can be some physical training done to better cope with full VR at least.... or maybe there is a way of sitting or laying down to ease the effect, or maybe even medication or certain procedure to follow after taking them off. Because like you, I believe people will be very unpleasantly surprised when they experience "Simulator Sickness" for the first time. What you describe is actually not the worst symptoms If you got away without needing a bucket you made it through relatively well ;p

Like you I am well aware of how bad Simulator Sickness can kick people, so I sure hope "getting used to it" is not the needed procedure.... that would certainly be very very unpleasant.

28. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 12:02 HorrorScope

I can dream, can't I?

I have no problem with mentioning this issue at all, I am thinking a lot of us plan to try before they buy and this is one thing they want to better understand. As for saying there is no technical fix, we don't know that, Caveman said it a long time ago, "can't be done", now he just looks like stupid caveman.

27. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 12:01 Wildone

Im all in for Star Citizen or any FPS/Sim it really puts you into that world..your brain is 100% fooled, its amazing and its cheap enough/light weight enough to be very viable and it can only get better from here. Its here to stay..  

26. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 11:59 HorrorScope

Wildone wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 11:01:
I woulda bought the LOW RES version already, already knowing an even better one is on the way. If you tried it you will want it almost no question.

Right. It's not like a lot of us aren't playing retro pixelated games today. This is like the pioneering stages of GPU's. There are people out there (see Star Citizen) that will buy this and get this thing going for better things to come. $400 or less and I'm in, above that, it has to be get the fuck out of here, good.

25. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 11:57 HorrorScope

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 10:48:
I doubt that'll ever happen as it simply wouldn't be practical. More likely is that games will start to use augmented reality to overlay game elements into real life, particularly through technology like Google Glass.

The only part of that, that is possible is the sad side of it... Tons of unused commercial warehousing nationwide.

What I chuckle at is this is coming next year, it has a good chance of making a big impression and the next gen just came out, can't handle it and has to wait another 7 years. There are your high paid visionaries at work.

24. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 11:52 Creston

That is a crazy amount of money.  

23. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 11:48 Wildone

It absolutely will not fail. The technology is there, the screens are cheap or almost cheap enough and once you try it you will want one. Unless they price it too high and fuck up everything else from the dev kit I cant see how this will ever fail..  

22. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 11:35 Mad Max RW

"Currently the problem is the resolution"

That was my whole point. And the resolution is NOT a problem. They have easy access to high rez usable view screens. Their problem is not a technical issue.

It is a MONEY issue. Same as it was back in the day. They wanted PROFIT, so they cheaped out on the displays resulting in pixelated mess. Now they are trying to find an acceptably high rez display..... for as cheap as possible.

what they should do, is deliver it with a decent high rez display.... and take a bit of a loss much like Sony did with the PS 3. Better this, than shipping a less than decent display. Sony took the loss, but not they are everywhere.

You're assuming the Oculus Rift, a technology that only failed to sell in the past, will be hugely successful after they go retail. Sony is a much larger company and already had the PS1 and 2 backing them with a dedicated fanbase.

It's going to fail either way. They're trying to minimize the loss now and survive long enough until a couple generations go by. Then we will know if it was worth it.

21. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 11:17 Beamer

"Currently the problem is the resolution"

That was my whole point. And the resolution is NOT a problem. They have easy access to high rez usable view screens. Their problem is not a technical issue.

It is a MONEY issue. Same as it was back in the day. They wanted PROFIT, so they cheaped out on the displays resulting in pixelated mess. Now they are trying to find an acceptably high rez display..... for as cheap as possible.

what they should do, is deliver it with a decent high rez display.... and take a bit of a loss much like Sony did with the PS 3. Better this, than shipping a less than decent display. Sony took the loss, but not they are everywhere.

What an impressive rant.

I think anti-consumerism/capitalism/corporatism has officially swung its pendulum past rationality.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo