Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale

GOG.com has kicked off their winter sale, a which will offer daily specials from their online marketplace for DRM-free games. To help get things rolling, they are offering a 100% discount on Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics, making the seminal RPGs free for the next 48 hours. Here's word on what else is involved in the event:

To make sure gamers check in constantly during their two-week long special offer GOG.com is launching three diffrent types of exciting daily deals. Each day, a selection of deeply-discounted, great games--celebrated classic and new acclaimed indie--will be showcased by a well-known YouTube gaming channel in a daily sale up to 75% off. Meanwhile, GOG.com's community will also have their say - each day they will vote on which of two daily game bundles will get an up to 80% discount. If that wasn't enough each registered GOG.com user will receive daily Mystery Boxes with gifts of special sales or even the occasional free game. Of course, all of the games in this sale are covered by GOG.com's recently-announced 30 Day Money Back Guarantee everywhere in the world, so gamers can try out any title--new or old--they've been curious about with confidence.

View
64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

64. Re: Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 14, 2013, 10:14  Blue 

DG wrote on Dec 14, 2013, 08:24:
boo, might have gotten around to playing if I could have left them in the list there. Oh well thanks

With their strident anti-DRM stance, it would be more than a little odd for GOG.com to offer Steam keys.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

63. Re: Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 14, 2013, 08:24 DG

boo, might have gotten around to playing if I could have left them in the list there. Oh well thanks  

62. Re: Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 13, 2013, 13:09 nin

DG wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 12:30:
Does this give keys I can unlock via steam?

Nope.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

61. Re: Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 13, 2013, 12:30 DG

Does this give keys I can unlock via steam?  

60. Re: Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 13, 2013, 03:57 InBlack

You guys are weird. FO1 and FO2 are the best RPGs ever. (Apart from the shitty tunnel) Nothing comes close, except maybe Planescape Torment.

Im not the burning stake kind of fanboy, but I love RPGs, have played most of them and while F:NV is a nice update to the series and really hits some beats I cant see it as being better than F2. Still everyone has assholes and I respect yours. Opinions I mean.

I have a nifty blue line!

59. Re: Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 13, 2013, 03:08 Raptor

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 15:04:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 14:32:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 14:23:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 14:16:
I did go back and beat Fallout later, but the time limit sucks. It doesn't make any sense either. It's not like *my character* was running out of water... But no, boom, you failed a quest objective so your game is done. Haha. Try again.

No, but your Vault, i.e. the community you're trying to save, IS running out of water. If they run out of water, your quest has failed: simple as that. Kinda hard to miss...

Not that great for a ROLE playing game, though - eh?

Not everybody wanted to be the Overseer's bitch.

Yeah god forbid that a game give your character a reason for being and then connect a failure condition to it! No water chip quest means your character never would have stepped outside the vault to begin with. Freedom is meaningless if there's no consequences for your actions -- see any Elder Scrolls game ever.

Eactly what I was thinking.
I loved the way you actually had a goal and it was urgent - not the usual "you have to save the world fast!" and then wander around collecting apples and doing fetch quests till you get bored and finally decide to do the urgent matter.

And I loved the ending video which showed what happened to the mates I had collected (hopefully not a spoiler, but the deathclaw one saddened me very much at the time)

damn, now I have the Dx syndrome and might need to replay them again...

58. Re: Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 12, 2013, 23:01 nin

Prez wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 21:50:
It does get a whole helluva lot better though. I still preferred Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

**Prez runs out of thread before someone burns him at the stake for gaming blasphemy.**

I'm with you there, actually. Never played these the first time around (though I did spend time with BG2 and the IWD series), and find it hard to get into them now. But the first person perspective of 3/NV draws me right in, and I feel at home.

Speaking of which...I really need a IWD replay.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

57. Re: Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 12, 2013, 22:44 Creston

JayDeath wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 19:52:
Don't forget to grab the patch that disables the time limit for Fallout. Google the other important patches.

Not necessary for the GOG version. It already has the time limit for the mutant army invasion patched out. (or switched to 13 years, whichever it is. In any case, they don't attack after a year and a half.)

56. Re: Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 12, 2013, 21:50 Prez

And of course, the less said about that temple "tutorial" mission, the better. People complained about the terrible opening of Fallout 3, but does nobody remember that damn temple?

I said the same thing. The temple tutorial was horrible, but at least you could kick a rat in the groin.

It does get a whole helluva lot better though. I still preferred Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

**Prez runs out of thread before someone burns him at the stake for gaming blasphemy.**

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

55. Re: Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 12, 2013, 20:32 Orogogus

The GOG page says it's already been patched to 1.1, which would be the 13 year (i.e., disabled) time limit. The way it's laid out seems to say that you need 1.1 to run on Macs, but I think that's a formatting error and they're saying that it's the 1.1 version.

I want to say that at some point the physical version in stores was 1.1, but I can't swear to that.

54. Re: Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 12, 2013, 19:52 JayDeath

Don't forget to grab the patch that disables the time limit for Fallout. Google the other important patches.

Steam: BenRichards

Shadow of Mordor is wonderful.

53. Re: Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 12, 2013, 19:20 Task

Planetscape Torment is also on sale :-D  

52. Re: Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 12, 2013, 18:47 Julio

Great sale, picked up Wing Commander 5 and Privateer 2 for 50% off each. I already paid for all the Fallout games years ago on GOG, but great news for anyone who doesn't have them. Guess Bethesda doesn't like that the old Fallouts are superior to the new ones  

51. Re: Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 12, 2013, 18:32 Krovven

Grabbed Dungeon Keeper 2. Already have a CD version, but using the official patches the DirectX version doesn't work on my machine. I can't stand playing in Software mode.

We'll see if this works, if not I can get my $3 back now, lol.

50. Re: Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 12, 2013, 17:00 Redmask

GOG rules, classic games at an unbelievable price. The new generation doesn't know what they're missing.  

49. Re: Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 12, 2013, 15:39 Creston

InBlack wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 15:28:
Creston wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 12:59:
NegaDeath wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 12:37:
Managed to squeek in and nab these in between server belches. I know what I'm trying this weekend. Never played the DOS originals.

"Never played the originals? He's a witch! Burn him!"

Nah, I hadn't actually played through the whole thing until several years ago. I still haven't finished FO2 (it gets too boring at the end, with absolutely ridiculous monsters showing up that one shot your power-armored demigods.)

Did you play the same game as me?? I loved the later parts of F2...strange.

I can't remember what they're called. those weird purplish things. Shoot from a thousand yards away, one hit kills, you get like 9 of them in a random encounter. Slogged my way through that one, moved half an inch on the world map, ran into another encounter with 9 more of those things. Turned the game off, never returned to it.

other than that it was fine, though I wasn't a big fan of the crime bosses / vegas thing. No idea why I had to do a sneaking into someone's office mission when the engine clearly wasn't built for doing a mission like that.

And of course, the less said about that temple "tutorial" mission, the better. People complained about the terrible opening of Fallout 3, but does nobody remember that damn temple?

In any case, FO1 and 2 are fine games, but this "OMG BEST RPGS EVARRRRR!" fanboyism that some people have is crazy.

48. Re: Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 12, 2013, 15:28 InBlack

Creston wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 12:59:
NegaDeath wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 12:37:
Managed to squeek in and nab these in between server belches. I know what I'm trying this weekend. Never played the DOS originals.

"Never played the originals? He's a witch! Burn him!"

Nah, I hadn't actually played through the whole thing until several years ago. I still haven't finished FO2 (it gets too boring at the end, with absolutely ridiculous monsters showing up that one shot your power-armored demigods.)

Did you play the same game as me?? I loved the later parts of F2...strange.

I have a nifty blue line!

47. Re: Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 12, 2013, 15:21 Dirwulf

I almost bought Tactics the other day, but then I thought I should wait for a sale. Good thing I did. Now if I could just check out.

46. Re: Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 12, 2013, 15:08 Cabezone

They didn't remove the water chip time limit, that wasn't the shitty one. The shitty one was the 500 day limit for the mutant army. You could easily spend that much time wandering around. That's the time limit they removed.  
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

45. Re: Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 12, 2013, 15:04 Scottish Martial Arts

Silicon Avatar wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 14:32:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 14:23:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 14:16:
I did go back and beat Fallout later, but the time limit sucks. It doesn't make any sense either. It's not like *my character* was running out of water... But no, boom, you failed a quest objective so your game is done. Haha. Try again.

No, but your Vault, i.e. the community you're trying to save, IS running out of water. If they run out of water, your quest has failed: simple as that. Kinda hard to miss...

Not that great for a ROLE playing game, though - eh?

Not everybody wanted to be the Overseer's bitch.

Yeah god forbid that a game give your character a reason for being and then connect a failure condition to it! No water chip quest means your character never would have stepped outside the vault to begin with. Freedom is meaningless if there's no consequences for your actions -- see any Elder Scrolls game ever.

64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo