Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Elder Scrolls Online in April

The Elder Scrolls Online website has the news that April 4, 2014 will be the Windows and OS X launch date for The Elder Scrolls Online, saying the MMO installment in Bethesda's role-playing series will follow on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One will follow in June. The update includes a "War in Cyrodiil" trailer and a message from Game Director Matt Firor and here's a bit from that:

Game development is coming along very well. We completed major systems development, and are focusing on making this the Elder Scrolls game you expect: polishing the hundreds and hundreds of hours of content, making combat even more fun and responsive, fixing quest issues, and much, much more. In fact, we plan on spending the next few months before launch reacting to the latest feedback from internal and external testers and gameplay data we have collected.

As some of you know, weve been in beta testing for about a year now, leading up to our most recent test in late November where we had over 300,000 people in the game over a 48 hour period. Weve had approximately 4 million people sign up for beta and that number continues to grow. We hope that just about every one of you who have signed up for beta will get an invitation to play sometime between now and the weeks before launch. These tests are very important, not only for gameplay feedback, but also to test our infrastructure. Beta tests can sometimes be a little rough when we are testing some systems for the first time with large numbers of players. So thank you to all who have participated for your understanding and support. It is very much appreciated.

Worldwide demand for The Elder Scrolls Online is extraordinarily high. This means we need to do a staggered rollout of the different versions of the game to spread out the initial service load and ensure an enjoyable, smooth gameplay experience. It is not only a game we are launching it is a large online service as well, and our number one priority is to ensure a trouble-free, stable rollout for everyone.

View
100 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

20. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 12:55 El Pit

Darks wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 12:14:
Ill tell you this; I prefer a monthly fee over the F2P model any day. F2P is NOT F2P.

And I'll tell you this: I'm ready to pay ONCE for the game (e.g. Guild Wars 1/2), but will never rent a game for a monthly fee.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 12:51 Zanderat1

I won't be playing this. I generally don't like MMO's. Hopefully, this will not affect the single player game.  

18. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 12:51 Angrius Maximis

This beta was horrible. Pass  

17. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 12:44 theyarecomingforyou

As much as I love TES I really have no interest in an MMO. Pass.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

16. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 12:36 Creston

nin wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 12:01:
Bets in months until F2P? I'm thinking 18, tops...

9 months.

15. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 12:35 Creston

Worldwide demand for The Elder Scrolls Online is extraordinarily high

Once those people figure out that this is not "Skyrim with my buddies!" I guess that demand will drop quite rapidly.

14. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 12:33 Kobalt

Riker wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 12:22:
I've become very skeptical of MMOs in general, because I always end up disappointed. WoW is still the king, despite everything that has come since.

I think we are in a very similar situation as when everquest was king. Game was good(though in hindsight you could argue this)and had tons of content. Even if a new game added some new gimmick it still had to deal with the I hit max what to do now problem, when everquest you had ton to do since expansions never became outdated. Wow though, not only did it have fantastic gameplay, tons of new gimmicks but a decent endgame. All 3 combined and you had a hit, when most games have only 1 or 2 of these features, and very rarely decent endgame.

Rift had the endgame and gimmicks but mediocre gameplay. Swtor had the gimmicks but also the gameplay was nothing special nor was the endgame etc etc.

It's really hard to make a mmo.

13. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 12:24 Task

Just add a flunkin optional MP component to TES games and be done with it.

You know, like the Co-Op Oblivion and Skyrim that people wanted...

Playing: The Witcher 2, Dragon Age: Origins, FF8

12. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 12:22 Riker

I've become very skeptical of MMOs in general, because I always end up disappointed. WoW is still the king, despite everything that has come since. With TES, though, I've gone from "meh" to "cautiously optimistic" (well, less-so after reading the comments here). I want in that beta.  

11. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 12:19 jacobvandy

Desalus wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 12:08:
Gadzooks wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 11:49:
For those looking for elder scrolls gameplay with multiplayer... keep looking.

For those looking for elder scrolls themes, lore, and visuals, with pretty modern mmorpg gameplay, give this game a try.

I can't help but wonder how many people will buy this game thinking it is Skyrim Online. Oh how disappointed they will be.

I really wish Bethesda the best of luck with this game, and they will really be needing it with the monthly subscription fee. I expect to see a successful release and then a flood of players leaving the game in disappointment and because of the subscription fee. It will probably be fairly similar to the rise and fall of the SWTOR MMO subscription numbers.

Bethesda has little to nothing to do with this. It's being created by "Zenimax Online Studios," which is led by a former Mythic designer.

10. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 12:18 Kobalt

Hahahaha wut. When I was playing beta I was thinking, this is ass but it's beta maybe its like a year away. Looks like we will have yet another failed mmo that merges servers and goes f2p by this time next year.  

9. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 12:14 Darks

Desalus wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 12:08:

For those looking for elder scrolls themes, lore, and visuals, with pretty modern mmorpg gameplay, give this game a try.

I can't help but wonder how many people will buy this game thinking it is Skyrim Online. Oh how disappointed they will be.

I really wish Bethesda the best of luck with this game, and they will really be needing it with the monthly subscription fee. I expect to see a successful release and then a flood of players leaving the game in disappointment and because of the subscription fee. It will probably be fairly similar to the rise and fall of the SWTOR MMO subscription numbers.

Ill tell you this; I prefer a monthly fee over the F2P model any day. F2P is NOT F2P. You will end up spending a hell of a lot more in terms of side crap people always miss and need in games. Storage space, bag space. char slots. and gaining access to your funds that are placed in Escrow. Those things are not free in most of the so called free to play models.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

8. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 12:08 Desalus

7. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 12:04 Darks

ItBurn wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 11:46:
I hate mmos, but I LOOOOOOVE Elder Scrolls. I'll play it, but I expect to grow tired of it very soon.

There's a tragedy here though. They designed a ton of provinces in a very short time. This mean that they'll be very generic. They won't have the absolute love that Morrowind and Skyrim got for example. This means that the next single player Elder Scroll games' creative liberties will be severly limited...

There's already proof of that, let me dig something up.

Edit: Can't find the image, but basically, the lore describes an Elven city as being amazingly bright and alien, but in ESO it looks like a generic brick fort...

I was one of those 300K that played it the entire weekend, I really liked what I saw, but there were defiantly a lot of issues that needed to be ironed out. Im pretty sure there going to be more betas after the holidays. So it will be nice to see the difference once this goes live in April.

Im kind of surprised at the early release date; I kind of figured a June release. As with any new MMO there are going to be launch day issues.

Gadzooks, Im not sure what you mean about the MP aspect of the game. Its all MP its an MMO. People running around all over the place so your comment is very vague.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

6. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 12:01 ItBurn

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 11:59:
I hate mmos, but I LOOOOOOVE Elder Scrolls. I'll play it, but I expect to grow tired of it very soon.

There's a tragedy here though. They designed a ton of provinces in a very short time. This mean that they'll be very generic. They won't have the absolute love that Morrowind and Skyrim got for example. This means that the next single player Elder Scroll games' creative liberties will be severly limited...

Edit: Can't find the image, but basically, the lore describes an Elven city as being amazingly bright and alien, but in ESO it looks like a generic brick fort...

You're out of your mind if you really think that. As if Todd Howard is gonna go "well Zenimax already did Elswyr and it looks like X, so that's what we have to make TES VII look like, even though it's shit." No possible way. This is a barely authorized spinoff game forced by a parent company... I would be hard pressed to consider any of it canon.

I'm not saying they will have NO liberty, but it can only affect things in a negative way.

5. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 12:01 nin

Bets in months until F2P? I'm thinking 18, tops...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

4. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 11:59 jacobvandy

You're out of your mind if you really think that. As if Todd Howard is gonna go "well Zenimax already did Elswyr and it looks like X, so that's what we have to make TES VII look like, even though it's shit." No possible way. This is a barely authorized spinoff game forced by a parent company... I would be hard pressed to consider any of it canon.

3. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 11:49 Gadzooks

2. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 11:46 ItBurn

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2013, 11:52.

1. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 11:44 Jivaro

Can't wait

100 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo