Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Elder Scrolls Online in April

The Elder Scrolls Online website has the news that April 4, 2014 will be the Windows and OS X launch date for The Elder Scrolls Online, saying the MMO installment in Bethesda's role-playing series will follow on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One will follow in June. The update includes a "War in Cyrodiil" trailer and a message from Game Director Matt Firor and here's a bit from that:

Game development is coming along very well. We completed major systems development, and are focusing on making this the Elder Scrolls game you expect: polishing the hundreds and hundreds of hours of content, making combat even more fun and responsive, fixing quest issues, and much, much more. In fact, we plan on spending the next few months before launch reacting to the latest feedback from internal and external testers and gameplay data we have collected.

As some of you know, weve been in beta testing for about a year now, leading up to our most recent test in late November where we had over 300,000 people in the game over a 48 hour period. Weve had approximately 4 million people sign up for beta and that number continues to grow. We hope that just about every one of you who have signed up for beta will get an invitation to play sometime between now and the weeks before launch. These tests are very important, not only for gameplay feedback, but also to test our infrastructure. Beta tests can sometimes be a little rough when we are testing some systems for the first time with large numbers of players. So thank you to all who have participated for your understanding and support. It is very much appreciated.

Worldwide demand for The Elder Scrolls Online is extraordinarily high. This means we need to do a staggered rollout of the different versions of the game to spread out the initial service load and ensure an enjoyable, smooth gameplay experience. It is not only a game we are launching it is a large online service as well, and our number one priority is to ensure a trouble-free, stable rollout for everyone.

View
100 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

40. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 15:10 Axis

Hope for the best -- always do.

This MMO is bland -- usually are.

Yours truly,

Axis
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 15:00 descender

They worked because the world reacted organically to your character.

Did I miss something in Skyrim where I had more than 1 real choice to make (who to support in the civil war) the entire game?

My biggest gripe with Oblivion/FO3/Skyrim/etc are the lack of necessary and limiting choice. When you can do 95% of all quests in one playthrough, they aren't getting "choice" right at all.

38. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 14:57 Verno

Ratty wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 14:20:
I've never played a multiplayer game before. I've always been curious and wanted to try one out. I might give this a go except I would be so bad I'd be laughed off the servers.

This is a common misconception about multiplayer gaming, trust me there are many players out there worse than you regardless of your skill level. Every game has a learning curve and adjustment period but singleplayer games are like that too. It's all about playing with the right folks IMO, find like minded people who just want to game for fun and not a bunch of tryhards who are going to criticize every mistake.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

37. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 14:51 LittleMe

That trailer is bad. Firstly it brings no connection to why they are fighting. It's just people senselessly killing each other for some ruby. I feel ashamed after watching it and ask myself 'is this what gaming is about? Senselessly killing people and 'rawring' about it? Well knowing that it's also a console game for kids answers some of those questions.  

Perpetual debt is slavery.

36. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 14:39 BitWraith

Cutter wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 14:34:
Beta? I thought that was an alpha and they're going to release this in 3 months? ROFL! What a massive waste of cash, Zenimax. They took a rather interesting Tamriel and made it entirely pedestrian and boring. 4 classes, big fucking whoop. Races without proper racials. What's the point of being an Argonian if you can't even swim underwater?

Oh hells yeah, this thing is going to tank hard. It'll be F2P in less than a year easy.

I was an unlucky early adopter of Final Fantasy 14. ESO is fixing to blow it FFXIV style. I'mma give Square massive props - they realized that they blew it, and rectified the situation.

It's not like there aren't enough MMO launches to study. I cannot fathom why these developers cannot learn from past mistakes. I KNOW that these games are expensive to make. But, if you don't have the cash to make it right, then don't bother. MMO players are they most critical of all gamers, and they'll spread the word that your game sucks FAST.

35. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 14:34 Cutter

Beta? I thought that was an alpha and they're going to release this in 3 months? ROFL! What a massive waste of cash, Zenimax. They took a rather interesting Tamriel and made it entirely pedestrian and boring. 4 classes, big fucking whoop. Races without proper racials. What's the point of being an Argonian if you can't even swim underwater?

Oh hells yeah, this thing is going to tank hard. It'll be F2P in less than a year easy.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

34. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 14:29 BitWraith

InBlack wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 14:03:
An Elder Scrolls game needs to be about choices and consequences. An Ultima Online type experience, where you have that kind of freedom and where you can have those kinds of consequences, now that would be a game worthy of the Elder Scrolls series.

This though? It wont work. Think about why Morrowind and Skyrim worked for a second. They worked because the world reacted organically to your character. You cant have this in a game where the same damn quests, instances etc. are done by thousands of other would-be heroes, where the only consequence for dying is losing a bit of XP and respawning a few zones away.

You just described my experience. I was trying to put this into words to a friend of mine, and I failed miserably. I'll point him to this post.

The best I could muster was this: Imagine you're in Whiterun. Instead of the city being full of folks who are going about their business, it's full of people jumping up and down repeatedly. It's full of people running full bore into an npc and then stopping in front of him. Every NPC who sells something has 30 people standing around him motionless. It's very off-putting and weird to experience that in an Elder Scrolls game (which has up until this point been a very pure fantasy experience).

33. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 14:20 Ratty

I've never played a multiplayer game before. I've always been curious and wanted to try one out. I might give this a go except I would be so bad I'd be laughed off the servers.  

32. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 14:13 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 13:59:
Btw, after Red Dead Redemption, there is no excuse anymore for running horses in a game to look as terrible as they do in this. Fire your animators and hire the guy who did them in RDR.

It's pretty much getting to this with ES. Hire new animators already.

31. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 14:03 InBlack

An Elder Scrolls game needs to be about choices and consequences. An Ultima Online type experience, where you have that kind of freedom and where you can have those kinds of consequences, now that would be a game worthy of the Elder Scrolls series.

This though? It wont work. Think about why Morrowind and Skyrim worked for a second. They worked because the world reacted organically to your character. You cant have this in a game where the same damn quests, instances etc. are done by thousands of other would-be heroes, where the only consequence for dying is losing a bit of XP and respawning a few zones away.

I have a nifty blue line!

30. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 13:59 Creston

Btw, after Red Dead Redemption, there is no excuse anymore for running horses in a game to look as terrible as they do in this. Fire your animators and hire the guy who did them in RDR.

29. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 13:58 ItBurn

Acleacius wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 13:53:
The most amazing trailer, of the most amazing MMO 'RPG' I've ever seen. I've never seen so many, 'REAL' world effecting dialog choices, in a CTF battle trailer.

The affects', just stun me.

I barely understand what you wrote, but I think you're being sarcastic.

Yeah, I saw the trailer, wow, it sucks. It really sucks. It's basically exactly what I want the least about the game.

28. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 13:58 InBlack

verybad1 wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 13:49:
No mods in an MMO, so I'm less than enthused, I hope it doesn't mean that they're stop making single player elder scrolls games, but it is likely.

They probably got excited by the success Skyrim got, and decided to try and make a successor to WOW which really is looking pretty long in the tooth and losing players,

Some of it looks pretty good, but I don't have the time for MMOs, I would rather have a good SP game that I can play when I do have time.

MMOs are fine and dandy, but playing them without groups loses quite a bit of the point.
The lack of Mods, for which Skyrim is legendary also reduces it for me.

This game was in development before Skyrim was even released.

I have a nifty blue line!

27. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 13:53 Acleacius

The most amazing trailer, of the most amazing MMO 'RPG' I've ever seen. I've never seen so many, 'REAL' world effecting dialog choices, in a CTF battle trailer.

The affects', just stun me.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

26. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 13:49 verybad1

No mods in an MMO, so I'm less than enthused, I hope it doesn't mean that they're stop making single player elder scrolls games, but it is likely.

They probably got excited by the success Skyrim got, and decided to try and make a successor to WOW which really is looking pretty long in the tooth and losing players,

Some of it looks pretty good, but I don't have the time for MMOs, I would rather have a good SP game that I can play when I do have time.

MMOs are fine and dandy, but playing them without groups loses quite a bit of the point.
The lack of Mods, for which Skyrim is legendary also reduces it for me.

25. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 13:48 Bopper

I love MMO's and the Elder Scrolls but I am nervous to see how successfully they can adapt an experience that is quintessentially single-player into an MMO. Rather than take an Elder Scrolls game and move it online in a way that feels natural, I am afraid they have just made an MMO in the ES universe.

I hope I am wrong. I will play this with an open mind.

- Boppa

24. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 13:45 BitWraith

Creston wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 12:36:
nin wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 12:01:
Bets in months until F2P? I'm thinking 18, tops...

9 months.

Once the free month is over, this game will tank. I give it 6.

23. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 13:10 NewMaxx

As a veteran MMO player and tester, I'll be honest. I was in the front row for WoW's beta and release and honestly the game didn't feel ready until six months after launch (I remember doing pretty much nothing as a level 60 for 4+ months until fixes and other players caught up to the end-game). Based on what I've seen (or not seen, NDA and all), this game is at least a year away from similar polish. That's a problem because I also played SWtOR beta/release and while it did need a lot of fixing, it was mostly intact at release. ESO is not and will not be at that point in April.

The thing is, people are used to WoW and comparing it and all games that came after WoW to WoW. Expectations are simply higher than they were pre-WoW and the fact SWtOR did so poorly is not just a reflection of poor developer management but frankly the fact that people expect the world at release or soon after. If you're one of those people, stay very far away from ESO. It's most definitely a work-in-progress that won't hit its peak until probably a year after release. Given their payment model I have serious concerns about it surviving that period intact.

That being said, I do have it pre-ordered because I love the Elder Scrolls universe and the "feel" of the game did match my single-player expectations (sufficient lore and exploration, for example). Now that I'm older I'm not the multi-year WoW type person I used to be; I play MMO's that are placed in areas I like, I buy the games and enjoy them for a few months, then I move on. I'm not positive my experiences in ESO at launch will be adequate even considering my reduced expectations, so anybody not in love with the universe is probably best looking elsewhere until a year after release.

22. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 13:03 HorrorScope

Riker wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 12:22:
I've become very skeptical of MMOs in general, because I always end up disappointed. WoW is still the king, despite everything that has come since. With TES, though, I've gone from "meh" to "cautiously optimistic" (well, less-so after reading the comments here). I want in that beta.

Stay skeptical, it will serve you well. I'm hoping there is an open beta, there needs to be one since they are asking 60/15.

21. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 13:00 Verno

Darks wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 12:14:
Ill tell you this; I prefer a monthly fee over the F2P model any day. F2P is NOT F2P. You will end up spending a hell of a lot more in terms of side crap people always miss and need in games. Storage space, bag space. char slots. and gaining access to your funds that are placed in Escrow. Those things are not free in most of the so called free to play models.

Yeah F2P is just Gouge 2 Play in most games. There are exceptions but they're few and far between.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

100 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo