Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Elder Scrolls Online in April

The Elder Scrolls Online website has the news that April 4, 2014 will be the Windows and OS X launch date for The Elder Scrolls Online, saying the MMO installment in Bethesda's role-playing series will follow on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One will follow in June. The update includes a "War in Cyrodiil" trailer and a message from Game Director Matt Firor and here's a bit from that:

Game development is coming along very well. We completed major systems development, and are focusing on making this the Elder Scrolls game you expect: polishing the hundreds and hundreds of hours of content, making combat even more fun and responsive, fixing quest issues, and much, much more. In fact, we plan on spending the next few months before launch reacting to the latest feedback from internal and external testers and gameplay data we have collected.

As some of you know, we’ve been in beta testing for about a year now, leading up to our most recent test in late November where we had over 300,000 people in the game over a 48 hour period. We’ve had approximately 4 million people sign up for beta and that number continues to grow. We hope that just about every one of you who have signed up for beta will get an invitation to play sometime between now and the weeks before launch. These tests are very important, not only for gameplay feedback, but also to test our infrastructure. Beta tests can sometimes be a little rough when we are testing some systems for the first time with large numbers of players. So thank you to all who have participated for your understanding and support. It is very much appreciated.

Worldwide demand for The Elder Scrolls Online is extraordinarily high. This means we need to do a staggered rollout of the different versions of the game to spread out the initial service load and ensure an enjoyable, smooth gameplay experience. It is not only a game we are launching – it is a large online service as well, and our number one priority is to ensure a trouble-free, stable rollout for everyone.

View
100 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

60. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 17:13 Acleacius

BitWraith wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 16:27:
Axis wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 16:18:
'Cartoony' in eq wasn't silly, it was designed to look serious and realistic as possible at the time.

Sorry I'm still not buying this. I was there. Everything looked like this:
http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/0/1992/965943-race_ogre.jpg
Your seeing parallax. If you want to see clearly name another mmo, att with better graphics? There were better engines, which could do better graphics but not that could handle 40+ if not 100s of players at once.

Playing something like EQ without a map, really forced me become more spatially aware. I notice this even now 15 years later, gaming friends who didn't play EQ back in the day, get lost in big maps or mazes, often asking for me to come get them, lmao. Of course them drinking copious amounts of magical brew, probably doesn't help.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

59. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 16:51 Veterator

Found the gameplay to be very boring. The animations didn't seem to tie together well with what you were pressing on the keyboard.

I never got to play their version of PVP due to lots of quest issues preventing progression on various characters.

I don't expect much to change from now and release, I was expecting more from an MMO expecting to pull subscribers.

Give it 6 months until they have to flip over to f2p, a year until the transition is done. 18 months until it's worth playing....and at this point everyone will be waiting for the next MMO to hit the market.

58. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 16:50 dumpy

I trialled WoW briefly and I was not impressed - low level fetch quests are not interesting. I have never understood the game's popularity.

More recently, I have bought Guild Wars 2. I liked the pay-once scheme and the art, exploration, and community engagement during gameplay.

Though, both games had the same wierd problem that I have never experienced in any other game besides these two MMOs. That is the wierd hotkey combat and player movement. I never felt engaged because of it.

The animations in ESO look pretty awful as well.

57. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 16:36 ItBurn

Beamer wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 16:31:
TES is much more an adventuring game than an RPG. It has RPG elements, but you aren't playing a role. You can be everything.

I prefer it that way, honestly. I don't have time to do multiple playthroughs, so I want to see everything and do everything on that one I give it. If a game wants multiple playthroughs, it should be ~10-25 hours. If it's 60-80, I prefer being able to see it all.

My opinion. I'm not saying this is the only way games should be done, I'm saying this is the way games I will love are done.

While I disagree that that's how games should be done, I think we can agree that there's no way you've done everything in Skyrim :p

56. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 16:31 Beamer

TES is much more an adventuring game than an RPG. It has RPG elements, but you aren't playing a role. You can be everything.

I prefer it that way, honestly. I don't have time to do multiple playthroughs, so I want to see everything and do everything on that one I give it. If a game wants multiple playthroughs, it should be ~10-25 hours. If it's 60-80, I prefer being able to see it all.

My opinion. I'm not saying this is the only way games should be done, I'm saying this is the way games I will love are done.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

55. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 16:31 Wallshadows

As someone who just now got bit by the Skyrim bug and TES in general, I'm pretty happy to go back and play Oblivion and Morrowind once I see all that needs to be seen in Skyrim.

...so I doubt I'll have enough time seeing as how I play one character only to reroll a couple hours later to something else and do forth. Not because I am bored of the game but rather how diverse it can be although I seem to have settled on dagger Dunmer Assassin build with poisons and zero magic or enchanting.

If anything, TESO will be a one month thing to play the story for and go from there depending on how engaging the content is.

54. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 16:27 BitWraith

Axis wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 16:18:
'Cartoony' in eq wasn't silly, it was designed to look serious and realistic as possible at the time.

Sorry I'm still not buying this. I was there. Everything looked like this:
http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/0/1992/965943-race_ogre.jpg

53. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 16:18 Axis

Sure, all computer games are just like all drawn art but we're talking general meaning of 'cartoony'.

Yours truly,

Axis

52. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 16:14 BitWraith

Axis wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 16:07:
EQ1 had graphics limitations. It was boxy but not cartoony.

True, it was boxy. I have the original game box and manual right in front of me. The manual has their original sketches in it splattered from page to page. Regardless of the graphics limitations, I can assure you it was meant to be very cartoony.

51. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 16:07 Axis

EQ1 had graphics limitations. It was boxy but not cartoony. And gameplay was hardcore, only tough mmo to date most of you would cry like babes trying to play it at the time.

Also had lots of actual roleplaying, another aspect lost among the new generation of gamers.

Yours truly,

Axis

50. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 16:06 Cutter

ItBurn wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 15:50:
There's absolutely no reason to start a new character, and that destroys all the magic for me. The game says that you are this god at everything. Making a second character is yourself forcing this upon yourself. I dunno, I want game systems to direct gameplay, I don't want to imagine game mechanics that aren't there.

Basically it's hard to explain :p

No, you explained it clearly. Creston is just wrong on this one. You want consequences for actions - as we all do in CRPGs. This is what most have always lacked. You're in the fighters guild and a contract comes up to defend some people from an evil mage. You manage to kill the mage then think learning some magic might be handy to fight mages, but now the mage guild tells you to piss off for killing one of theirs.

This playthrough in Skyrim I'm an Orc Imperial. Where's the racism and bigotry? Why are people in rebel towns even talking to me? Yeah, this has always been a major weak spot in TES games. They're a little too open at times. This is why I'm stoked for Divinity Original Sin. It looks to be hearkening back to the days of yore where there are definite consequences for actions and you can get in over your head.

Its why I hope they leave the next Fallout with Oblivion.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

49. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 16:01 BitWraith

Cutter wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 15:52:
One thing EQ fans always loved about EQ 1/2 is that things were more realistic.

EQ1 had a very cartoony style at launch, before Luclin.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sand_Giant_-_EverQuest_-_1999.jpg

48. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 15:56 BitWraith

saluk wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 15:51:
Yes! All have been a big step down from morrowind in this regard.

I was a complete and utter Morrowind fanboy. I finished the main quest, plus all the expansions. I don't want to think about how many hours I spent playing that game.

We tend to remember Morrowind with rose-colored glasses. We do this because, at the time, we had nothing to compare it to. If you go back and play it today (and I have), you realize all the bad stuff that got corrected in Oblivion and even more-so in Skyrim.

The combat in Morrowind was awful. The graphics have really improved. Even something as simple NPC schedules really helps to make the world feel less sterile. The UI is the only thing that really keeps getting worse.

47. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 15:52 Cutter

Enh, forgot that this is a console game too. Explains the shitty UI - at least it has that in common with Skyrim.

But yeah, EQ Next is a joke visually speaking. One thing EQ fans always loved about EQ 1/2 is that things were more realistic. And this isn't only stylized it's a complete ripoff of WoW. I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some sort of licensing involved here. They've gimped the combat and turned that into a console arcade game too.

The sad part is that the EQ Landmark is such a big step in the right direction otherwise. Acleacius is right. All they had to was make Vanguard 2 - properly this time, with a game editor like Landmark and/or Neverwinter's Foundry and they'd own the MMO market for years to come. Apparently that was too diffuclt to manage, however.

Look at this recent article for EQ Landmark. You'd think it was WoW from those screens if you didn't know different. Man, talk about dropping the ball, SOE.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

46. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 15:51 saluk

ItBurn wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 15:18:
descender wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 15:00:
They worked because the world reacted organically to your character.

Did I miss something in Skyrim where I had more than 1 real choice to make (who to support in the civil war) the entire game?

My biggest gripe with Oblivion/FO3/Skyrim/etc are the lack of necessary and limiting choice. When you can do 95% of all quests in one playthrough, they aren't getting "choice" right at all.

I gotta agree, but disagree.

Skyrim basically never really has any player choice in quests. You're the hero and you do things how they're supposed to be done. Also, you can do every quest, max every skill and become master of every guild. Both these things suck.

In Fallout 3/NV, you have many ways to complete quests. You can pretty much do everything though, but it's definitely not as bad as Skyrim.

Still love both games, but it would be even better if you really had to make choices and specialize. You could replay the game a bunch of times, do the quest lines you had to skip and experiment different builds.

Yes! All have been a big step down from morrowind in this regard.

45. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 15:50 ItBurn

Creston wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 15:44:
You could replay the game a bunch of times, do the quest lines you had to skip and experiment different builds.

Amazingly, you can still do so in Skyrim. I just don't get the complaint of "Man, you can be the guild master of all four guilds at the same time!"

Yes, you can. Some people make one character and want to experience all the content with that one character. They can.

If you don't want to do it that way, how about... I dunno... not doing all four guild quest lines with that one character? It doesn't seem that difficult a solution.

I like that I can mix and match. It's a lot of fun to be a werewolf mage who goes on to become the ultimate assassin (though the assassin quests are all way too easy, unfortunately), because you can sneak in with magic, switch to werewolf, murder your victim, run back out again and change back, then go ask the guards what happened (well not really, but okay.)

If all four quest lines were separate, you couldn't mix and match like this.

I got no more enjoyment out of Morrowind forcing me to do three playthroughs and pick three different houses than I got out of doing all four all at once in oblivion.

Typically for Skyrim I make a character for playthrough, think about what he'll do, and then play the quests that make sense for the archetype. But I'm fine if people don't want to do that and want to do all content in one go.

There's absolutely no reason to start a new character, and that destroys all the magic for me. The game says that you are this god at everything. Making a second character is yourself forcing this upon yourself. I dunno, I want game systems to direct gameplay, I don't want to imagine game mechanics that aren't there.

Basically it's hard to explain :p

44. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 15:44 Creston

You could replay the game a bunch of times, do the quest lines you had to skip and experiment different builds.

Amazingly, you can still do so in Skyrim. I just don't get the complaint of "Man, you can be the guild master of all four guilds at the same time!"

Yes, you can. Some people make one character and want to experience all the content with that one character. They can.

If you don't want to do it that way, how about... I dunno... not doing all four guild quest lines with that one character? It doesn't seem that difficult a solution.

I like that I can mix and match. It's a lot of fun to be a werewolf mage who goes on to become the ultimate assassin (though the assassin quests are all way too easy, unfortunately), because you can sneak in with magic, switch to werewolf, murder your victim, run back out again and change back, then go ask the guards what happened (well not really, but okay.)

If all four quest lines were separate, you couldn't mix and match like this.

I got no more enjoyment out of Morrowind forcing me to do three playthroughs and pick three different houses than I got out of doing all four all at once in oblivion.

Typically for Skyrim I make a character for playthrough, think about what he'll do, and then play the quests that make sense for the archetype. But I'm fine if people don't want to do that and want to do all content in one go.

43. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 15:18 ItBurn

Did I miss something in Skyrim where I had more than 1 real choice to make (who to support in the civil war) the entire game?

My biggest gripe with Oblivion/FO3/Skyrim/etc are the lack of necessary and limiting choice. When you can do 95% of all quests in one playthrough, they aren't getting "choice" right at all.

I gotta agree, but disagree.

Skyrim basically never really has any player choice in quests. You're the hero and you do things how they're supposed to be done. Also, you can do every quest, max every skill and become master of every guild. Both these things suck.

In Fallout 3/NV, you have many ways to complete quests. You can pretty much do everything though, but it's definitely not as bad as Skyrim.

Still love both games, but it would be even better if you really had to make choices and specialize. You could replay the game a bunch of times, do the quest lines you had to skip and experiment different builds.

42. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 15:14 Acleacius

ItBurn wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 13:58:
Acleacius wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 13:53:
The most amazing trailer, of the most amazing MMO 'RPG' I've ever seen. I've never seen so many, 'REAL' world effecting dialog choices, in a CTF battle trailer.

The affects', just stun me.

I barely understand what you wrote, but I think you're being sarcastic.

Yeah, I saw the trailer, wow, it sucks. It really sucks. It's basically exactly what I want the least about the game.
Yeah, I should've used an Annoyed .

On the scary side, I've been watching EQNext videos ( EverQuest Next Landmark? )too. The textures during the scenes of building, look like WoW. It could very well be, due to all the physics required by the engine to do Deform/Destructible terrain doesn't allow for more detail, but it sure seems a risky move.

At least for me, I was expecting some more along the lines of Vanguard II. SoE could have just bought the license to keep a Vanguard II from happening and crushing any chance of EQIII succeeding. EQNext seems much less than what EQIII should have been.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

41. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 15:14 BitWraith

The real meat of what he's saying is that in Skyrim, once you kill "Blastula, the Horrible Bear" he is gone from the world. In Skyrim, you don't have 30 players huddled around a cave waiting on Blastula to spawn again. Clear a dungeon, steal some guy's shoes, kill an NPC - all these actions have a very real and tangible (?) impact on the game world that just isn't present in ESO.

100 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo