Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Elder Scrolls Online in April

The Elder Scrolls Online website has the news that April 4, 2014 will be the Windows and OS X launch date for The Elder Scrolls Online, saying the MMO installment in Bethesda's role-playing series will follow on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One will follow in June. The update includes a "War in Cyrodiil" trailer and a message from Game Director Matt Firor and here's a bit from that:

Game development is coming along very well. We completed major systems development, and are focusing on making this the Elder Scrolls game you expect: polishing the hundreds and hundreds of hours of content, making combat even more fun and responsive, fixing quest issues, and much, much more. In fact, we plan on spending the next few months before launch reacting to the latest feedback from internal and external testers and gameplay data we have collected.

As some of you know, we’ve been in beta testing for about a year now, leading up to our most recent test in late November where we had over 300,000 people in the game over a 48 hour period. We’ve had approximately 4 million people sign up for beta and that number continues to grow. We hope that just about every one of you who have signed up for beta will get an invitation to play sometime between now and the weeks before launch. These tests are very important, not only for gameplay feedback, but also to test our infrastructure. Beta tests can sometimes be a little rough when we are testing some systems for the first time with large numbers of players. So thank you to all who have participated for your understanding and support. It is very much appreciated.

Worldwide demand for The Elder Scrolls Online is extraordinarily high. This means we need to do a staggered rollout of the different versions of the game to spread out the initial service load and ensure an enjoyable, smooth gameplay experience. It is not only a game we are launching – it is a large online service as well, and our number one priority is to ensure a trouble-free, stable rollout for everyone.

View
100 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

80. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 12, 2013, 00:09 Creston

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 22:09:
Creston jack-off what?!?

*cough*

One f, buddy. Just one.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

79. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 22:45 ItBurn

Task wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 22:15:
Cutter wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 16:06:
ItBurn wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 15:50:
There's absolutely no reason to start a new character, and that destroys all the magic for me. The game says that you are this god at everything. Making a second character is yourself forcing this upon yourself. I dunno, I want game systems to direct gameplay, I don't want to imagine game mechanics that aren't there.

Basically it's hard to explain :p

This is why I'm stoked for Divinity Original Sin.

Had no idea what Divinity Original Sin was. Looked it up.

Amazed.

Seems related(sequel?) to Divine Divinity. A game I hated. It had good ideas, but the gameplay was atrocious, you never knew what the hell you were supposed to do and it was very unpolished. Lots of people liked it apparently.

78. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 22:15 Task

ItBurn wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 15:50:
There's absolutely no reason to start a new character, and that destroys all the magic for me. The game says that you are this god at everything. Making a second character is yourself forcing this upon yourself. I dunno, I want game systems to direct gameplay, I don't want to imagine game mechanics that aren't there.

Basically it's hard to explain :p

This is why I'm stoked for Divinity Original Sin.

Had no idea what Divinity Original Sin was. Looked it up.

Amazed.

77. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 22:12 xXBatmanXx

oh forgot to add - I enjoyed the BETA. I buddied up with MrGrosser and we had a blast.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

76. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 22:09 The Half Elf

Creston jack-off what?!?

*cough*

Anyway... I hope this fails within 2 years. There is none of the exploration, self-made characters, charm that was used in any of the Fallout/Elder Scrolls games. Visually it's fairly ugly, and even F2P I wouldn't play it.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

75. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 22:08 xXBatmanXx

BETA EQ, 6 months in City of Heroes, Guild Wars 1 with all packs, and I want to get this so bad......I just am not a fan of the pay more than 1x model. I enjoy Skyrim so much, that I know I have the other previous games to enjoy with mods that I don't think I really need TESO.....with my game library and my ADD when it comes to long term games - I just don't know that I will play this enough to justify the costs....

Still haven't finished:
Skyrim
Fallout 3
Fallout Vegas
Guild Wars
Bioshock
Bioshock 2
Bully (even from the ps2 days)
Dead Island
Dead Rising 2 (I did, but want to do more and do DLC, etc)
Dead Space
Dead Space 2
Dead Space 3
Deus Ex
Assassin's Creed games (finished first one, never finished any of the others)
Far Cry 1 and 2 (finished 3 on xbox was a blast)
TES 3 and 4
Doom 3 (couldn't do it, maybe now with mods I can)
Price of Persia games
Titan Quest

The list goes on and on....

Each of the above is anywhere from 25-75% done....

And I still have to play more on GTA Online....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

74. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 22:07 Creston

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 22:01:
nin wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 21:57:
SKYRIM BIBLE!

SHHHH!!! Still in the plastic! I use the wiki if I have a question - but there are obvious and permanent changes to the game depending on what you do.

I am stuck as a damn vampire right now - think I got bit by one, cause I intentionally avoided the quest line. Need to do the quest before I hit day 5 to take it off - I didn't know I could use a potion at the time......I am on day 3.

If you just got the disease, go to a temple and the Gods will cure it. It's only after it's actively taken effect and turned you into a vampire that you need to go through the 'cure' questline.

73. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 22:03 Creston

No, you explained it clearly. Creston is just wrong on this one.

I'm sorry both of you are too weak willed to be able to focus and roleplay a character that doesn't automatically become the jack-of-all-guilds.

72. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 22:01 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 21:57:
SKYRIM BIBLE!

SHHHH!!! Still in the plastic! I use the wiki if I have a question - but there are obvious and permanent changes to the game depending on what you do.

I am stuck as a damn vampire right now - think I got bit by one, cause I intentionally avoided the quest line. Need to do the quest before I hit day 5 to take it off - I didn't know I could use a potion at the time......I am on day 3.

71. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 21:57 nin

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 21:41:
descender wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 15:00:
They worked because the world reacted organically to your character.

Did I miss something in Skyrim where I had more than 1 real choice to make (who to support in the civil war) the entire game?

My biggest gripe with Oblivion/FO3/Skyrim/etc are the lack of necessary and limiting choice. When you can do 95% of all quests in one playthrough, they aren't getting "choice" right at all.

ummm...you don't pay attention much do you? There are several choices that affect your game. Google is your friend if you are interested....

SKYRIM BIBLE!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

70. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 21:41 xXBatmanXx

descender wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 15:00:
They worked because the world reacted organically to your character.

Did I miss something in Skyrim where I had more than 1 real choice to make (who to support in the civil war) the entire game?

My biggest gripe with Oblivion/FO3/Skyrim/etc are the lack of necessary and limiting choice. When you can do 95% of all quests in one playthrough, they aren't getting "choice" right at all.

ummm...you don't pay attention much do you? There are several choices that affect your game. Google is your friend if you are interested....

69. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 20:30 HorrorScope

Ray Marden wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 17:57:
There is either an amazing game hidden in the later levels

My thoughts on that... That has always been a lie. A game better be good and fast and none of this "The game starts at the end". Now if it is PvP, that is the sole exception.

68. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 20:29 Mashiki Amiketo

dumpy wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 16:50:
I trialled WoW briefly and I was not impressed - low level fetch quests are not interesting. I have never understood the game's popularity.

At the start, it was easier than EQ, but more fun. Less issues because you didn't have to camp a spawn as well. You weren't forced to group like some MMO's either. And there were still no shortage of challenges either, it went downhill from TBC. But I suppose it's still fun enough for most people. Even I get the itch to resub and play again, much like I do for EVE. Right now I'm playing STO and enjoying it quite a bit, I subbed in when they had the $8.95/mo w/500mo zen.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

67. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 19:38 RaZ0r!

Fail.  

66. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 19:26 Beamer

Agent.X7 wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 19:20:
I beta tested EQ. It was the first 3d MMO to market.

Meridian 59 generally gets that honor.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

65. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 19:20 Agent.X7

Got an invite to the beta. Deleted it. Still zero interest in this as a sub game.

I beta tested EQ. It was the first 3d MMO to market. Those graphics were pretty amazing at the time. They were not really going for cartoony for most of the artwork. (Larry Elmore did a lot of artwork for them)

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

64. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 18:37 Krovven

BitWraith wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 16:27:
Axis wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 16:18:
'Cartoony' in eq wasn't silly, it was designed to look serious and realistic as possible at the time.

Sorry I'm still not buying this. I was there. Everything looked like this:
http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/0/1992/965943-race_ogre.jpg

And at the time, it was state-of-the art 3D graphics. There was nothing even close to it on the market for MMO's at the time EQ launched. I remember the day when I first started to play EQ. I was playing Ultima IV Ascension (Collectors Edition) and thinking how cool is this, but it's buggy and runs like shit, even on my then top of the line system. It was like playing a way better version of Ultima Online, but a lot of things just weren't there. Anyways, my roommate at the time was playing EverQuest, trying to get me to buy it and play with him and a couple other of our friends. I'd watch him in EQ, play Ultima and I dropped Ultima and never went back. Spent 4 years off and on in EQ.

I'm basically done with MMO's. So much better stuff to play that isn't going to cost me an on-going fee or try to nickel and dime me to death. I will go into LOTR Online now and then. But 3 times now I go through the starting ground, get to level 10 or so and stop playing.

Currently living in Skyrim since Batman gifted it to me (thanks again bud). With Skyrim though I'd have stopped playing a long time ago if I had to play the game without mods. I simply can't imagine having to play Skyrim vanilla.

My history with Bethesda's games dating back to Daggerfall has been, I love the idea and so much of the world they create, but they fall far short in functionality and implementation. I simply stopped buying their games at least at full price and at launch. Wait 2 years and let the mod community fix the game first. Bethesda needs to hire someone that is a master in User Interface design, so you don't have to spend hours navigating their horrid interface to do things like crafting. Even dating back to Daggerfall, their controls were awful and if I recall they had poor custom keybind support. Hardcoded keys and such.

Anyways, after this round-about related blathering...I have basically zero interest in Elder Scrolls Online. Skyrim will do me for now and I'm considering trying Fallout New Vegas (I didn't like Fallout 3, largely due to VATS). My understanding is there is a crosshairs option now and completely going without VATS. And I might be able to fix the game with the Nexus Mod community again.

63. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 17:57 Ray Marden

There is either an amazing game hidden in the later levels or this is going to make an extremely quick turn to F2P, just after it mines what it can from the day-one purchasers.

It felt like it was missing content and I was a bit bored. The engine was there, but the content was missing - the quests were pointless and there wasn't much in the way of exploration. Even worse, it seemed to be unaware that it was MMORPG; basic grouping functionality (map markers, quest sharing, being on the same shard, etc.) was really rough. The obsession with a minimal UI just forced what would be mouse-clickable options in any other game into something that is hidden under a menu or two.

I'm certainly intrigued by the possibility of this, but it seems like a really scaled down version of Skyrim, but with a monthly subscription.

We'll probably pick this up to try something new to play together, but I was surprised at how little gameplay I experienced, how nothing stood out as new or unique. I'm really thinking this is a 1-3 month game and then waiting for free to play.
Nearly every component was behind some market competitor.
Surprised they let the real, rough animations into the trailer video,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

62. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 17:38 theyarecomingforyou

dumpy wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 16:50:
I trialled WoW briefly and I was not impressed - low level fetch quests are not interesting. I have never understood the game's popularity.
Ditto. I enjoyed Guild Wars but that's because it was more a traditional game that you could also plays co-op.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

61. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 11, 2013, 17:35 KS

BitWraith wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 16:01:
Cutter wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 15:52:
One thing EQ fans always loved about EQ 1/2 is that things were more realistic.

EQ1 had a very cartoony style at launch, before Luclin.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sand_Giant_-_EverQuest_-_1999.jpg

The difference between old EQ and EQ Next in this complaint seems to be the difference between the Earthtone Coalition and the Forces of Bright, from the Neal Stephenson novel Reamde (note the spelling).

Old grey, steel, iron, brown dirt zones and characters vs. bright, rainbow-colored lands and characters and outfits.

Tera Online has both types of zones, the old school, and stuff that puts Oz to shame. Like if Oz had peanut butter, and crashed its car into Thomas Kinkaid, Painter of Light, with a chocolate bar. Not just colorful, but glowing berries and stuff like in Avatar floating around. The popori home city's lands are one of the 8 Wonders of the MMORPG World

Anyway, as a City of Heroes refugee, I look forward to a base builder system writ large.

100 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo