Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Elder Scrolls Online in April

The Elder Scrolls Online website has the news that April 4, 2014 will be the Windows and OS X launch date for The Elder Scrolls Online, saying the MMO installment in Bethesda's role-playing series will follow on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One will follow in June. The update includes a "War in Cyrodiil" trailer and a message from Game Director Matt Firor and here's a bit from that:

Game development is coming along very well. We completed major systems development, and are focusing on making this the Elder Scrolls game you expect: polishing the hundreds and hundreds of hours of content, making combat even more fun and responsive, fixing quest issues, and much, much more. In fact, we plan on spending the next few months before launch reacting to the latest feedback from internal and external testers and gameplay data we have collected.

As some of you know, we’ve been in beta testing for about a year now, leading up to our most recent test in late November where we had over 300,000 people in the game over a 48 hour period. We’ve had approximately 4 million people sign up for beta and that number continues to grow. We hope that just about every one of you who have signed up for beta will get an invitation to play sometime between now and the weeks before launch. These tests are very important, not only for gameplay feedback, but also to test our infrastructure. Beta tests can sometimes be a little rough when we are testing some systems for the first time with large numbers of players. So thank you to all who have participated for your understanding and support. It is very much appreciated.

Worldwide demand for The Elder Scrolls Online is extraordinarily high. This means we need to do a staggered rollout of the different versions of the game to spread out the initial service load and ensure an enjoyable, smooth gameplay experience. It is not only a game we are launching – it is a large online service as well, and our number one priority is to ensure a trouble-free, stable rollout for everyone.

View
100 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

100. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 16, 2013, 10:17 BitWraith

Beamer wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 14:35:
Agent.X7 wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 13:36:
Beamer wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 13:02:
HorrorScope wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 12:52:
Orogogus wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 02:57:
I'd think "true" 3D would be holograms or something, or at least some kind of stereoscopy. Sprites vs. polygons seems like an arbitrary defining factor, textures even more so.

That is right up there with Grammar Nazi.

So is splitting the hairs between 3D world and 3D everything.

I carefully put the word "generally" there, as Meridian 59 is generally accepted as the first 3D MMORPG. Some here may not fall into the "generally," but that doesn't make them entirely right. See: Wikipedia.

Not splitting hairs. 3D games today have everything modeled in 3D. All the objects are truly 3D in that they have all sides. You can move the in game camera 360 around an object and it is all there. Sprites are just that, sprites. One image for front, one image for back. Meridian outdid Doom by having side sprites too, but nothing in that game was 3D. Even the world was 2D sprites.

Back in 1998 we were all excited when EQ was announced because it was using polygons like the cutting edge shooters. It was marketed everywhere as the first massively multiplayer online role playing game with a 3D world.

Meridian 59 was the first graphical MMO. Wikipedia can be edited by anyone, and things are no always phrased in the correct manner. Meridian was about as 3D as the Bards Tale.
You came in and corrected me and then expect me not to explain my position or I am in the wrong? Please.

You're wrong, because you say the world was sprites. Meridian 59s world was polygons, its objects were sprites.

The first graphical MMO? What? There is so much wrong with that I don't even know where to start. Hell, Air Warrior was a graphical MMO. There were plenty of graphical MMOs.

Secondly, Meridian 59 had a 3D world. That's much more 3D than the Bard's Tale. So, again, a weird thing to say. And by weird, I mean wrong.

Regardless, Meridian 59 was billed as the first 3D MMORPG, and many still say that, Wikipedia editing or not. You may define it as needing 3D polygons, but that isn't the strict definition. a 3D gameworld was new to MMORPGs at the time, and a 3D gameworld means a 3D game. You could move the camera around in 360 degrees.

The world was polygons, not sprites. Your entire argument falls apart because you're factually mistaken in thinking it was sprites. Just go do a Google image search and behold all the polygons in the world. Or take the review from Gamespot: "Meridian 59 is a tremendous value for any role-playing gamer looking to engage in a vast and ever-changing 3-D fantasy world populated almost exclusively by real human players."
Do you think Doom was a 2D world? Yeah, blah blah 2.5D since you couldn't go above, but the world was portrayed in 3D. The objects were sprites. The levels were 3D.

Not that I care, but I'm bored right now and feel like posting. You're not correct about Meridian being a true 3d engine. Much like doom (and Wolfenstein before it) the game exists on a 2d plane of existence. It's not possible in in any of those games to have a person standing above another person on the y axis. I think the first game I remember having that ability was Duke Nukem 3d.

Also, when you look at things (like the over hang of a roof, for example), if you view them from a perfectly horizontal position they disappear. That's because the world is literally constructed out of bitmaps that are rotated in space. So, walls, ceilings, etc have no volume to them.

The engine is as 3d as computers would allow it to be at the time, which wasn't much.

EDIT: I see you mentioned the 2.5 D in your comment.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

99. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 13, 2013, 04:24 InBlack

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 18:16:
InBlack wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 07:06:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 22:01:
nin wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 21:57:
SKYRIM BIBLE!

SHHHH!!! Still in the plastic! I use the wiki if I have a question - but there are obvious and permanent changes to the game depending on what you do.

I am stuck as a damn vampire right now - think I got bit by one, cause I intentionally avoided the quest line. Need to do the quest before I hit day 5 to take it off - I didn't know I could use a potion at the time......I am on day 3.

Stick with it. Being a vampire is fun!!!

eh trying to stay Vanilla and good. Playing within my character's role is more difficult when you stick to what you are doing. I can't really do that when I am attacked on site after Day 5. So I need to do the cure quest line. Just haven't had time to jump in.

I seem to remember if you drink blood regularly people wont attack you on sight. But yeah if youre really roleplaying a strong willed good guy then youre fucked. (Except for those pesky Vampire hunters and a few others)

I have a nifty blue line!

98. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 12, 2013, 18:16 xXBatmanXx

InBlack wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 07:06:
SKYRIM BIBLE!

SHHHH!!! Still in the plastic! I use the wiki if I have a question - but there are obvious and permanent changes to the game depending on what you do.

I am stuck as a damn vampire right now - think I got bit by one, cause I intentionally avoided the quest line. Need to do the quest before I hit day 5 to take it off - I didn't know I could use a potion at the time......I am on day 3.

eh trying to stay Vanilla and good. Playing within my character's role is more difficult when you stick to what you are doing. I can't really do that when I am attacked on site after Day 5. So I need to do the cure quest line. Just haven't had time to jump in.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

97. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 12, 2013, 16:35 Agent.X7

Beamer wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 14:35:
I'd think "true" 3D would be holograms or something, or at least some kind of stereoscopy. Sprites vs. polygons seems like an arbitrary defining factor, textures even more so.

I carefully put the word "generally" there, as Meridian 59 is generally accepted as the first 3D MMORPG. Some here may not fall into the "generally," but that doesn't make them entirely right. See: Wikipedia.

Not splitting hairs. 3D games today have everything modeled in 3D. All the objects are truly 3D in that they have all sides. You can move the in game camera 360 around an object and it is all there. Sprites are just that, sprites. One image for front, one image for back. Meridian outdid Doom by having side sprites too, but nothing in that game was 3D. Even the world was 2D sprites.

Back in 1998 we were all excited when EQ was announced because it was using polygons like the cutting edge shooters. It was marketed everywhere as the first massively multiplayer online role playing game with a 3D world.

Meridian 59 was the first graphical MMO. Wikipedia can be edited by anyone, and things are no always phrased in the correct manner. Meridian was about as 3D as the Bards Tale.
You came in and corrected me and then expect me not to explain my position or I am in the wrong? Please.

You're wrong, because you say the world was sprites. Meridian 59s world was polygons, its objects were sprites.

The first graphical MMO? What? There is so much wrong with that I don't even know where to start. Hell, Air Warrior was a graphical MMO. There were plenty of graphical MMOs.

Secondly, Meridian 59 had a 3D world. That's much more 3D than the Bard's Tale. So, again, a weird thing to say. And by weird, I mean wrong.

Regardless, Meridian 59 was billed as the first 3D MMORPG, and many still say that, Wikipedia editing or not. You may define it as needing 3D polygons, but that isn't the strict definition. a 3D gameworld was new to MMORPGs at the time, and a 3D gameworld means a 3D game. You could move the camera around in 360 degrees.

The world was polygons, not sprites. Your entire argument falls apart because you're factually mistaken in thinking it was sprites. Just go do a Google image search and behold all the polygons in the world. Or take the review from Gamespot: "Meridian 59 is a tremendous value for any role-playing gamer looking to engage in a vast and ever-changing 3-D fantasy world populated almost exclusively by real human players."
Do you think Doom was a 2D world? Yeah, blah blah 2.5D since you couldn't go above, but the world was portrayed in 3D. The objects were sprites. The levels were 3D.

Whatever man, I'm not about to spend my day with your nitpicking.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

96. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 12, 2013, 14:35 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

95. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 12, 2013, 13:52 Orogogus

No, no, I came in and corrected you, not Beamer. But to me considering a game with sprites to not be true 3D seems arbitrary, grammar Nazi or not. Most 3D movies are based on a 2D source, while something like Toy Story is still a 2D movie whether or not everything is modeled.

94. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 12, 2013, 13:36 Agent.X7

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

93. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 12, 2013, 13:02 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

92. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 12, 2013, 12:52 HorrorScope

91. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 12, 2013, 12:51 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 02:10:
Verno wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 14:57:
Ratty wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 14:20:
I've never played a multiplayer game before. I've always been curious and wanted to try one out. I might give this a go except I would be so bad I'd be laughed off the servers.

This is a common misconception about multiplayer gaming, trust me there are many players out there worse than you regardless of your skill level. Every game has a learning curve and adjustment period but singleplayer games are like that too. It's all about playing with the right folks IMO, find like minded people who just want to game for fun and not a bunch of tryhards who are going to criticize every mistake.

Actually, every time I've played an MMO, I've almost always encountered people who were more than willing to help me out and show me the ropes. You'll stick out as a noob, and that's not a bad thing. Someone kind will come around and help you.

I got my issues with MMO's but my general feeling of those that post here is they have a lot of issues with multiplayer games, expecially anyone that involves cooperation. I agree, and you really can control for the most part how the sessions will go. Having friends, yes friends helps a lot as well.

90. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 12, 2013, 07:06 InBlack

SKYRIM BIBLE!

I have a nifty blue line!

89. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 12, 2013, 02:58 The Half Elf

jdreyer wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 02:10:
I've never played a multiplayer game before. I've always been curious and wanted to try one out. I might give this a go except I would be so bad I'd be laughed off the servers.

This is a common misconception about multiplayer gaming, trust me there are many players out there worse than you regardless of your skill level. Every game has a learning curve and adjustment period but singleplayer games are like that too. It's all about playing with the right folks IMO, find like minded people who just want to game for fun and not a bunch of tryhards who are going to criticize every mistake.

Actually, every time I've played an MMO, I've almost always encountered people who were more than willing to help me out and show me the ropes. You'll stick out as a noob, and that's not a bad thing. Someone kind will come around and help you.

Tried the Everquest Beta, and made a Human Ranger, that started off in Surefall Glades (think that's the starting spot for them), at night, couldn't see shit, and after 14 mins quit and uninstalled.
So about a month after launch I bought the game, and made a Half-Elf Warrior that started in Qeynos (Hence where I got my name). Didn't know what the hell to do or where to go, but a guy walks up to me and gave me a full suit of leather armor and a fine steel scimitar. Considering the only step up was Bronze Armor, I had just won 2 lottery's.
And while I understand people can be new to a game, I truly enjoy helping out new players. Except for my Ex of 15 years... introduced him to Everquest and he ended up running his own raid off 2 computers less then a year later (now I know how women feel when they want sex but can't because of a raid).

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

88. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 12, 2013, 02:57 Orogogus

Agent.X7 wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 01:26:
Beamer wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 19:26:
Agent.X7 wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 19:20:
I beta tested EQ. It was the first 3d MMO to market.

Meridian 59 generally gets that honor.

Except that Meridian 59 was not a true 3D game, but rather sprite based like Doom. EQ was the first MMO to use polygons and textures, so they were the first true 3D MMO.

Semantics aside, I've heard Air Warrior referenced as the first 3D MMO before.

87. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 12, 2013, 02:10 jdreyer

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

86. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 12, 2013, 02:08 jdreyer

LittleMe wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 14:51:
That trailer is bad. Firstly it brings no connection to why they are fighting. It's just people senselessly killing each other for some ruby. I feel ashamed after watching it and ask myself 'is this what gaming is about? Senselessly killing people and 'rawring' about it? Well knowing that it's also a console game for kids answers some of those questions.

Yeah, it strikes me as shamelessly appealing to the CoD crowd:

See? It's got multiplayer PvP!

85. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 12, 2013, 01:59 Steele Johnson

This game looks horrible. Why make a last gen game with last gen animation, graphics, and the same boring gameplay? Disappointed.  

84. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 12, 2013, 01:51 jdreyer

It will be interesting to see how they manage the staggered rollout to prevent the server overloads that always plague these games on launch.  

83. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 12, 2013, 01:47 jdreyer

I'll probably wait a year until all the good mods come out, then I'll play it.  

82. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 12, 2013, 01:37 descender

My biggest gripe with Oblivion/FO3/Skyrim/etc are the lack of necessary and limiting choice. When you can do 95% of all quests in one playthrough, they aren't getting "choice" right at all.

ummm...you don't pay attention much do you? There are several choices that affect your game. Google is your friend if you are interested....

Several, as in... like 5% of the quests? Just like I said? Yuup.

I think you give them entirely too much credit.

Outside of the civil war quest line, there is not a single thing as "world changing" as nuking Megaton in FO3. ** You pick Stormcloaks or Imperials, and then it's a free for all with no consequences until the end of the game. After you finish the Civil war quest line, the NPCs in the cities basically act like it never happened. **

On a side note, a big thumbs down to those who posted pictures of the Sand Giant. I have spent entirely too many hours of my life trying to forget all of the hours of my life I spent waiting for that bastard to spawn. Does anyone else look at EQ screenshots and check all the player names, expecting to see someone they know? :/

81. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 12, 2013, 01:26 Agent.X7

Beamer wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 19:26:
Agent.X7 wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 19:20:
I beta tested EQ. It was the first 3d MMO to market.

Meridian 59 generally gets that honor.

Except that Meridian 59 was not a true 3D game, but rather sprite based like Doom. EQ was the first MMO to use polygons and textures, so they were the first true 3D MMO.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

100 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo