Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Unannounced Blizzard Game Revealed

A tweet by Mike Booth sees the Blizzard Game Director sending out the call for "a Lead Producer to help us create Blizzard's next awesome game!" He links to this job listing which calls this an "unannounced game title," and states it's in the works with a small development team, similar to their upcoming Hearthstone. Blizzplanet notes that another help wanted for the same project seeks a 3D weapons artist, so we know there will be combat. Here's all they say about the game for now: "We canít tell you exactly what the game is yet, but trust us, itís awesome."

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: Unannounced Blizzard Game Revealed Dec 11, 2013, 12:12 panbient

Fantaz wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 04:03:
so much Blizzard hate here on Blues News, i don't understand why... i don't see this in other places?

i hope they do a first-person shooter, which is possible because they have Mike Booth

Well considering how long it took them to get around to releasing Diablo 3 who's to say Starcraft:Ghost isn't still in secret production...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Unannounced Blizzard Game Revealed Dec 11, 2013, 08:38 BitWraith

Xero wrote on Dec 10, 2013, 19:38:
BitWraith wrote on Dec 10, 2013, 12:57:
Xero wrote on Dec 10, 2013, 12:17:
Blizzard is riding on technically 3 stale franchises and still thinks they are king. I haven't been impressed by anything since Warcraft 3 that they put out but that's just me. Diablo 2 was their last awesome ARPG. Warcraft 3 was their last awesome RTS IMO, and Starcraft 1 was their last awesome Starcraft. At this point, I don't know what they have left. Blizzard has gone 100% full corporate. Money first, fans second.

I got nothin against StarCraft 2. I thought that was a quality game.

I enjoy StarCraft 2 but it's far from anything ground breaking. A remake of StarCraft 1 or a reimagining with fancy graphics. Nothing against it but it's far from their best effort of the past.

It had to be. If it had been anything more than a graphical remake, there would have been rioting in the proverbial streets.

39. Re: Unannounced Blizzard Game Revealed Dec 11, 2013, 04:03 Fantaz

so much Blizzard hate here on Blues News, i don't understand why... i don't see this in other places?

i hope they do a first-person shooter, which is possible because they have Mike Booth

38. Re: Unannounced Blizzard Game Revealed Dec 10, 2013, 22:17 s1mon75

You know the problem with Blizzard, they're too successful. People expect every game to be epically ground breaking. If it doesnt meet that expectation .. well read the comments below.

I believe theyll still make epic games. If they fail on the next new game (hearthstone doesnt count imo), then maybe the whiners have a point. Until then im not writing them off

37. Re: Unannounced Blizzard Game Revealed Dec 10, 2013, 21:56 bigspender

blizzard is totally irrelevant these days.

pre-WoW blizzard knew how to make games, now all they do is take year upon years to make 7/10 games.

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

36. Re: Unannounced Blizzard Game Revealed Dec 10, 2013, 19:38 Xero

Blizzard is riding on technically 3 stale franchises and still thinks they are king. I haven't been impressed by anything since Warcraft 3 that they put out but that's just me. Diablo 2 was their last awesome ARPG. Warcraft 3 was their last awesome RTS IMO, and Starcraft 1 was their last awesome Starcraft. At this point, I don't know what they have left. Blizzard has gone 100% full corporate. Money first, fans second.

I enjoy StarCraft 2 but it's far from anything ground breaking. A remake of StarCraft 1 or a reimagining with fancy graphics. Nothing against it but it's far from their best effort of the past.

Currently playing: Skyrim

35. Re: Unannounced Blizzard Game Revealed Dec 10, 2013, 19:19 Agent.X7

Unannounced Blizzard game...not announced. News at 11!

I've got my fingers crossed for Blackthorn II!

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

34. Re: Unannounced Blizzard Game Revealed Dec 10, 2013, 18:17 Dirwulf

World of Duty

33. Re: Unannounced Blizzard Game Revealed Dec 10, 2013, 18:06 Devinoch

Red wrote on Dec 10, 2013, 15:21:
Thank you for that lengthy and detailed reply. I really appreciate you taking the time. I'm not in the beta, but I did have a strong curiosity about the game, and you seem to know what you're talking about.

No problem. I've worked mostly in the video games industry for the last dozen or so years, and like offering these kinds of critiques. For what it's worth, I think there's definitely potential in Hearthstone (and being that it's free, you get what you pay for), I just think they have a ways to go before they get there. It's still beta, though, so hopefully they're doing their due diligence with the massive amounts of data they're collecting...

32. Re: Unannounced Blizzard Game Revealed Dec 10, 2013, 15:21 Red

Thank you for that lengthy and detailed reply. I really appreciate you taking the time. I'm not in the beta, but I did have a strong curiosity about the game, and you seem to know what you're talking about.  

31. Re: Unannounced Blizzard Game Revealed Dec 10, 2013, 15:14 Devinoch

Red wrote on Dec 10, 2013, 14:53:
Devinoch wrote on Dec 10, 2013, 14:46:
Hearthstone has potential, but...
Isn't arena mode supposed to address the balance concern? At least in the sense that your deck is equal relative to others' decks because everyone is playing from a random pool instead of a pay-to-win collection?

Arena mode has its own special collection of problems. The way the system works is you're picking one of three random cards to add to your deck. The first problem is that the normal "2 of any card to a deck" rule doesn't apply, letting players get 3-4 of some incredibly powerful class cards. The second problem is that many of the cards are designed to be combined with others, and on their own, they aren't very good, so many times you'll be going "man, I wish I had taken that other card four picks ago" when you're drafting. The third and final problem is that I'm fairly certain that Arena players are getting put up against any player looking for a game (although I don't know this for certain), meaning you'll end up playing against preconstructed decks now and again.

Also, keep in mind, you're also stuck with picking one of three randomly selected hero classes at the beginning of an arena run. And the classes are NOT well balanced right now. The class abilities are disproportionate to a fault - the Mage's ability is better than everyone else's, the majority of them have an immediate impact on the game, with Paladin's being the least useful and Shaman's right in at second least useful (because Shamans summon things at random!). This is also pretty true for card pools - things like Flamestrike are a Mage COMMON, as is Fireball meaning they're pretty much guaranteed to see a heavy amount of removal during a draft, where, say, a Priest may only see some of their targeted removal at the same time as a great creature, because they're rare cards.

And, like any thing when you're drafting from a pool, some pools are way better than others. Sometimes I'll end up getting a draft pool with 8 rares and a legendary, most times I'll end up with a pool of 5 rares, and in many cases, the worst possible rares. Also, when you're drafting in, say, Magic, you have 8 people, and a pack has more than 8 cards, so when you take your first card, you know you're going to see another card from that same pack, and can plan a bit around that. It also contributes to knowing what you're going to get in packs two and three, because the information you give to your drafting neighbors is relevant. Here, all drafting is done in a vacuum.

Balancing eight different classes and a "neutral" pool is a pain in the ass, and I don't envy them the job, but right now, it's pretty radically clear that some classes are way better than others.

I'd love to see their data, because right now, I'd wager the three top classes are, in order, Mage, Priest, Hunter, and the bottom three classes are, in order, Rogue, Paladin, Shaman.

Shamans rely on getting better than average results on random cards, as well as not overcommitting (Overload is a mechanic that double punishes for mistakes...), Paladins have the least relevant class ability and very limited removal, and Rogues, well, Rogues apparently used to be awesome and then got nerfed to the ground because they were out of control, but I wasn't in the beta at that point. Compare that to Mages, who can trigger their own enrage characters immediately, pick off smaller creatures, whittle away at larger creatures, or repeatedly just wipe the opponent's board.

When I pick Mage from the arena pool, I usually win 4 to 9 games. When I see a choice between Rogue, Shaman and Paladin, I sigh and prepare to go 0-3, regardless of how well I put a deck together. The basic class commons for Mages, Priests and Hunters are just significantly better than the class commons for other classes.

30. Re: Unannounced Blizzard Game Revealed Dec 10, 2013, 14:53 Red

Devinoch wrote on Dec 10, 2013, 14:46:
Hearthstone has potential, but...
Isn't arena mode supposed to address the balance concern? At least in the sense that your deck is equal relative to others' decks because everyone is playing from a random pool instead of a pay-to-win collection?

29. Re: Unannounced Blizzard Game Revealed Dec 10, 2013, 14:46 Devinoch

jdreyer wrote on Dec 10, 2013, 12:32:
Pigeon wrote on Dec 10, 2013, 10:56:
Its a blizzard version of angry birds, with a pet collecting mini-game.

Supposedly, their collectible card game Hearthstone is pretty good. I could see a Blizzard version of angry birds being pretty awesome.

Hearthstone has potential, but is currently plagued by a number of pretty serious balancing concerns (the number of classes they have is going to do that - Magic has to build around 5 colors to balance, but Hearthstone has 8 exclusive pools that don't overlap, which is kind of a mess), and a giant imbalance towards rarity power (i.e. if your deck isn't built with mostly rares/epics/legendaries, you're going to get steamrolled). Games also tend to devolve very quickly, and you're stuck playing for another 3-5 minutes waiting for the person who's obviously going to win to win, as come back mechanics are limited, and only in specific class pools. (Compare, say, Mage's Flamestrike - 7 for 4 damage to all enemies - to, say, any other classes more conditional, less powerful AOE.)

There's a lot of things I like about Hearthstone, but I don't like Hearthstone. Not right now. They just put out a new patch. It fixed a couple of the concerns in terms of gameplay balance, but I'm fairly certain they're balancing around "well, if you have all the cards, then everything is balanced..." which, like I was telling my friend, is like saying if all basketball teams were made up exclusively of Michael Jordan, then everything's fine. So simply make all your players MJ, right? Except it doesn't work that way. Classes need to be at least semi-balanced across a wide swath of card pools, rarities and deck builds. Instead, Mages basically steamroll everything in their path, and the deck who plays 4 rares by turn 5 almost always wins.

It's F2P, so I'll keep eyes on it, but right now? Be prepared to be angry a lot.

28. Re: Unannounced Blizzard Game Revealed Dec 10, 2013, 14:44 nin

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 10, 2013, 14:41:
Anyone else gotten into the Hearthstone beta but unable to connect to it?

Do they still do maintenance on Tuesdays?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

27. Re: Unannounced Blizzard Game Revealed Dec 10, 2013, 14:41 The Half Elf

Anyone else gotten into the Hearthstone beta but unable to connect to it?  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

26. Re: Unannounced Blizzard Game Revealed Dec 10, 2013, 13:43 descender

I wish I had the same rosy memory of D2 you all seem to have.

My memory is of a grindy click-fest with 1 (cow) map to play for 50+ levels.

Calling D2 a "character building" game instead of a "loot whoring" game might be the funniest thing I've read in a long while.

25. Re: Unannounced Blizzard Game Revealed Dec 10, 2013, 13:22 Frags4Fun

Small dev team? Why do I get the feeling that it's for tablets or phones?  

24. Re: Unannounced Blizzard Game Revealed Dec 10, 2013, 13:15 InBlack

Yeah Starcraft2 is pretty decent. Mainly because they stuck to what made the original great, unlike the travesty that is Diablo3.

I have a nifty blue line!

23. Re: Unannounced Blizzard Game Revealed Dec 10, 2013, 12:57 BitWraith

22. Re: Unannounced Blizzard Game Revealed Dec 10, 2013, 12:51 ldonyo

More like unannounced game announced.  

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo