Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

No Man's Sky Revealed

This VGX trailer is captioned being from an "unknown title," though the clip states its from a game called No Man's Sky from Hello Games (Joe Danger), which has someone there confused, as their videos page refers to it as No Man's Land." The clip shows off some nice graphics, all the more impressive with their explanation that all the footage was captured in real-time, and that "every atom" displayed is procedurally generated, going on to specify the game will procedurally generate every leaf, tree, bird, fish, rock, ocean, cloud, ruin, star, sun, galaxy, and planet. They note this makes "every planet unique" and "unexplored."

View
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

47. Re: No Man's Sky Revealed Dec 10, 2013, 13:41 BitWraith

nin wrote on Dec 9, 2013, 15:43:
The more I hear of it being multiplayer, the more I lose interest.

It'll probably need to be multiplayer just so people have some content to digest. All they have to do is somewhat mimic Eve online, except extract all the boring shit.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

46. Re: No Man's Sky Revealed Dec 9, 2013, 22:35 Fantaz

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 9, 2013, 00:18:
It's an MMO. It makes sense for this game because if they put all their effort into an awesome, endless universe to explore, they ain't got time to fill it with stuff to do. SO, they put in the framework for people to do stuff together. They'd probably admit themselves that if you tried to play alone, you'd be bored out of your mind.

The trailer intrigued me in playing this game, until I read that it's an MMO... and I bet they'll probably put more work into the art style and graphics instead of gameplay with this one.

45. Re: No Man's Sky Revealed Dec 9, 2013, 15:43 nin

The more I hear of it being multiplayer, the more I lose interest.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

44. Re: No Man's Sky Revealed Dec 9, 2013, 15:42 saluk

I totally believe a small team can do something like this. The biggest timesink in game development is content - it's not only a burden on the content teams, but the programming and production teams spend a ton of time supporting the content teams. Procedural content can be tricky to get right, but a couple genius programmers can pull off a lot of bang with a little buck - minecraft has shown this superbly.

This trailer is stunning though. Way to show up all the big guys with their bogged down processes and procedures.

43. Re: No Man's Sky Revealed Dec 9, 2013, 09:54 Task

BitWraith wrote on Dec 9, 2013, 08:46:
I remember thinking when Star Trek Online came out that it should be like what this game apparently is. Just a bunch of people exploring the universe, getting into trouble.

Dude I remember when Star Wars Galaxies was being pitched and thought it would be like this, and then it wasn't ... it was poo.

Playing: The Witcher 2, Dragon Age: Origins, FF8
Recently Completed: FF6, The Witcher 1
Watching: Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Steins.Gate, How I Met Your Mother

42. Re: No Man's Sky Revealed Dec 9, 2013, 08:46 BitWraith

I remember thinking when Star Trek Online came out that it should be like what this game apparently is. Just a bunch of people exploring the universe, getting into trouble.  

41. Re: No Man's Sky Revealed Dec 9, 2013, 03:19 InBlack

Looks brilliant.  

I have a nifty blue line!

40. Re: No Man's Sky Revealed Dec 9, 2013, 00:18 jacobvandy

It's an MMO. It makes sense for this game because if they put all their effort into an awesome, endless universe to explore, they ain't got time to fill it with stuff to do. SO, they put in the framework for people to do stuff together. They'd probably admit themselves that if you tried to play alone, you'd be bored out of your mind.  

39. Re: No Man's Sky Revealed Dec 8, 2013, 23:18 jdreyer

You can't take the sky from me, indeed.

I really hope that this is a SP sandbox game. MMOs interest me not.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

38. Re: No Man's Sky Revealed Dec 8, 2013, 23:06 jdreyer

Redmask wrote on Dec 8, 2013, 18:58:
harlock wrote on Dec 8, 2013, 18:09:
ah!

but would a 10 year old know how to spell "hence"? or that "could've" is a contraction of could and have, not could and of?

these are deep mysteries...

Ok Thundr.

Not Thundr

I kind of miss the old curmudgeon, as misguided as he was. He had the uncanny ability to turn a thread on any topic into a political manifesto. That is a rare talent.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

37. Re: No Man's Sky Revealed Dec 8, 2013, 22:31 Asmo

DangerDog wrote on Dec 8, 2013, 17:34:
dj LiTh wrote on Dec 8, 2013, 16:24:
ItBurn wrote on Dec 8, 2013, 15:26:
Looks extremely cool, but it's way too big of a project for some indie devs.

As opposed to what Star Citizen dev's that have almost nothing to show for it other then a hanger that a 10 year old kid could write?

They didn't even write it, just some 3D assets tossed into CryEngine.

Meanwhile you have things like this and the progress on Elite Dangerous that shows real promise.

http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9075

The funny thing was that at the time of the KS, people were panning Braben/Elite as "What have they done recently?" and how the KS was pretty barebones whereas SC had all sorts of flashy stuff going on.

I still have faith that SC is going to be a great game (I'm not one of those people who have thrown thousands of dollars at it though), but I wish all of them the best.

As for NMS, it looks phenomenal. I've always had a desire to have a seamless transition between FPS on the planet to intergalactic scale since playing Elite:Frontier, looks like it's finally coming true... =)

36. Re: No Man's Sky Revealed Dec 8, 2013, 22:31 Cutter

Kalthorn wrote on Dec 8, 2013, 17:31:
I saw Shai Hulud! Do we get hooks and thumpers too?

Mmmm, Shai Hulud.

Well the tech is neat and all but we'll see if that actually translates into fun game.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

35. Re: No Man's Sky Revealed Dec 8, 2013, 21:20 Task

Holy Hell. Been playing FF6 all day and came online to see all these new trailers and games.

Color me intrigued about this one! From the comment below, if it is an MMO, I hope it is more on the 'realism' side rather than 'point, click on enemy, watch your guy attack' crap of other MMO's.

Playing: The Witcher 2, Dragon Age: Origins, FF8
Recently Completed: FF6, The Witcher 1
Watching: Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Steins.Gate, How I Met Your Mother

34. Re: No Man's Sky Revealed Dec 8, 2013, 20:57 walrus1

nin wrote on Dec 8, 2013, 20:36:
Qbex . wrote on Dec 8, 2013, 20:00:
Looks good, except - its a fucking mmo

Source?

Yes source indeed! However this does seem reasonable. But then again how can such a small developer afford to run the servers for such a broad mmo? Unless of course the it turns out to be way less ambitious then it looks. I really hope it isn't an MMO!

OK, I got a link. The dev seems to say it's an MMO but he's not the most well spoken guy so I could have misunderstood. [url=] gametrailers.com/videos/x8pp1o/no-man-s-sky-vgx-2013--sean-murray-interview [/url]

This comment was edited on Dec 8, 2013, 21:07.

33. Re: No Man's Sky Revealed Dec 8, 2013, 20:36 nin

Qbex . wrote on Dec 8, 2013, 20:00:

Source?

32. Re: No Man's Sky Revealed Dec 8, 2013, 20:33 nin

Fletch wrote on Dec 8, 2013, 19:56:
harlock wrote on Dec 8, 2013, 19:27:
so i guess you think im someone else? - sorry but you are wrong...

Nah, RT ain't that clever.

Godwin in 21. Not bad.

ass captain.

31. Re: No Man's Sky Revealed Dec 8, 2013, 20:01 Fletch

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Dec 8, 2013, 19:49:
So if a 10 year old can write it, I gather you should be able to whip one up in no time to prove just how much more talented you are right? Go ahead, we'll wait.

Can I use DoomCad?

30. Re: No Man's Sky Revealed Dec 8, 2013, 20:00 Qbex .

29. Re: No Man's Sky Revealed Dec 8, 2013, 19:56 Fletch

harlock wrote on Dec 8, 2013, 19:27:
so i guess you think im someone else? - sorry but you are wrong...

Nah, RT ain't that clever.

Godwin in 21. Not bad.

28. Re: No Man's Sky Revealed Dec 8, 2013, 19:49 Parallax Abstraction

dj LiTh wrote on Dec 8, 2013, 16:24:
ItBurn wrote on Dec 8, 2013, 15:26:
Looks extremely cool, but it's way too big of a project for some indie devs.

As opposed to what Star Citizen dev's that have almost nothing to show for it other then a hanger that a 10 year old kid could write?

So if a 10 year old can write it, I gather you should be able to whip one up in no time to prove just how much more talented you are right? Go ahead, we'll wait.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo