Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Lords Early Access

Steam news announces that Star Lords is now available under Valve's Early Access program:

Star Lords is an epic, complex, dense, turn-based 4X PC strategy game, set in deep space.

Take command of one race to join the struggle for supremacy in the galaxy. As the leader of your empire you are tasked with exploring the stars, colonizing new worlds, managing your empire and conquering whoever dares to oppose you.

The galaxy is full of secrets and dangers: Discover ancient ruins and artifacts, repel or befriend pirates, promote a general to guide your fleets to victory. Concoct complex plots with your allies or use your intelligence services to uncover weak spots on that threatening empire whose leader has vowed to destroy you.

Make sure to keep your population happy or be prepared to face protests against your rule, or in a worst case scenario, rebel factions within your empire.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Star Lords Early Access Dec 7, 2013, 17:33 SpectralMeat

Thanks for the feedback guys.
I am keeping an eye on Endless Space as well. Watched a few episodes of "Let's Play" and it seems like my kind of a game.
I know it was on sale for a few bucks last week.

Steam: SpectralMeat
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Star Lords Early Access Dec 7, 2013, 00:27 Kalthorn

(back to off-topic of StarDrive)

Darks, Spectral,

While I'm not going to try and dissuade you from purchasing it during a sale, as you'll probably get your money's worth, I do want to mention that the bad Steam review that was definitely not the opinion of just one guy with an axe to grind.

I know the developer of StarDrive and he really did do all those things and really is not apologetic about any of it. He does love games and making games. But he also doesn't give much of a shit about people as can be seen in his public responses on Reddit and the Steam forums.

The game isn't abandoned per se, there are some minor patches, but the majority of his time is clearly going to his new endeavors. StarDrive is not my kind of game so I have no first hand experience but even his die hard supporters and modders admit that there are still some major breaking bugs, out-of-memory crashes can still occur(your system memory does not matter), balance issues, shallow tech tree, and major lack of any challenge/content late game. If you buy it, you should mod the hell out of it and save often.

Given the amount of success and audience the game found, I would have expected more continued love from a developer, not the opposite. You don't remove content from a game you plan to improve just to be able to call it "feature complete." You don't announce that your one-man studio is starting not one, but two new projects while your five-month-old game still has massive bugs.

But that's me and that's politics.

23. Re: Star Lords Early Access Dec 6, 2013, 23:10 dj LiTh

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 21:00:
Hehe I was just kidding. I'll probably grab it. So far the few people that has it says it is good. Nothing on youtube yet, other than that very old footage in German.

I live in germany yet dont speak a word of german....i'm every germans nightmare lol.

@ MisterBenn i can totally relate to that. Growing up my favorite genre was multiplayer RTS and i prided myself on micromanagement. Now that i'm getting into my 30's i much rather play a cerebral TBS or single player RTS of a slower pace (like SOASE). TBS & RPG's i'm favoring more and more as i age.

22. Re: Star Lords Early Access Dec 6, 2013, 21:06 MisterBenn

Darks wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 10:41:
I used to love these types of games, but over the past several years, turn based games have kind of turned me off. Iím more into real time like Sins.

Curiously I've gone the other way over time, the real time aspect puts me off now and I find the poring over of sitrep and colony summary screens to be integral to the appeal! Of the modern crop of space 4x games I'd say that Distant Worlds impressed me most for having the best living, breathing galaxy to explore and expand into. It was rich and organic but because of the real time pausable gameplay I always felt like I was missing details once the game began to grow and eventually I'd feel like unless I was pausing all the time, I'd be more or less letting the game play itself.

This comment was edited on Dec 6, 2013, 21:14.

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

21. Re: Star Lords Early Access Dec 6, 2013, 21:00 SpectralMeat

Hehe I was just kidding. I'll probably grab it. So far the few people that has it says it is good. Nothing on youtube yet, other than that very old footage in German.  

20. Re: Star Lords Early Access Dec 6, 2013, 20:12 dj LiTh

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 19:59:
Why don't you pick it up and let us know Lith

Last sale wiped me out for the rest of the year and before that i want to grab up ringworld but its 30$, otherwise i would

19. Re: Star Lords Early Access Dec 6, 2013, 19:59 SpectralMeat

Why don't you pick it up and let us know Lith  

18. Re: Star Lords Early Access Dec 6, 2013, 19:00 dj LiTh

Now if we could just get some feedback from Star Lords players  

17. Re: Star Lords Early Access Dec 6, 2013, 18:09 SpectralMeat

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll definietly keep an eye on it when it goes on sale.
I did like the gameplay when TB showed it off.

16. Re: Star Lords Early Access Dec 6, 2013, 17:43 Burrito of Peace

I will add my own voice of support for Stardrive. I have really enjoyed my time with it and, as LiTh says, it could have more/better/refined features. However, I didn't feel lost in it at all nor did I feel that I got ripped off in any way.

Also, it is INCREDIBLY mod friendly and there are at least a dozen really good mods available for it. Further, the dev has used two of those mods and rolled them in to the game, after asking permission of the mod creators and giving them full credit.

Buy it or not, up to you, but one guy with an axe to grind shouldn't be taken as gospel.

15. Re: Star Lords Early Access Dec 6, 2013, 15:35 dj LiTh

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 15:32:
Yeah sorry Lith didn't mean to shit on your parade I was just browsing on the Steam forums and saw a lot of whining about StarDrive then checked out the store page and saw a bunch of negative reviews.
It may still be an awesome game and by the sound of things TotalBiscuit also liked the beta so I may grab it on the Winter sale.
It was $8 last week.
Will probably be the same during Winter sale.

Ahhh no worries at all bro, i just wanted to set the record straight as i'm sure some reviewers have an agenda. Also i think its kinda funny that, that one reviewer played the game for over 500 hours but didnt like it? Funny stuff :). I'd say deffinitely if your feelin a 4x itch done in real time (the space battles and ship building are the best i've ever seen in a 4x game) get it when its on sale.

14. Re: Star Lords Early Access Dec 6, 2013, 15:32 SpectralMeat

Yeah sorry Lith didn't mean to shit on your parade I was just browsing on the Steam forums and saw a lot of whining about StarDrive then checked out the store page and saw a bunch of negative reviews.
It may still be an awesome game and by the sound of things TotalBiscuit also liked the beta so I may grab it on the Winter sale.
It was $8 last week.
Will probably be the same during Winter sale.

13. Re: Star Lords Early Access Dec 6, 2013, 15:26 dj LiTh

Sorry to go off topic again, but regarding Stardrive (not Star Lords). The dev hasnt abandoned anything, the last patch was November 12th , as for me i've had a lot of fun playing it, and already got my money's worth. Its a complete game that could use more features for sure but what game couldnt use more features. Anyways i still recommend it, as its the closest MOO2 vibe you can get currently.  

12. Re: Star Lords Early Access Dec 6, 2013, 15:09 SpectralMeat

I do like the new Steam review system.
It shows right next to the review how many hours the reviewers logged in. No more bullshit metascore critic reviews by people doesn't even own the game.
I am not saying the Steam review system can not be tempered with as hours logged in could be someone starts the game and let it run in the background or whatever but it takes a bit more effort now to post good/bad reviews of games as the reviewers can be checked right on Steam.
Makes a lot more sense then Metacritic

Oh just to be sure that review I posted was about StarDrive not the early access game this topic supposed to be about
Hope this one turns out good.
Developer said ones the game is out of Alpha the price will increase, and also confirmed this Alpha access will not be part of the Steam Winter sale.

11. Re: Star Lords Early Access Dec 6, 2013, 14:48 Darks

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 14:18:
Wow those StarDrive reviews sure don't look so hot on Steam.
Here is one from a guy that has 550 hours on record:

AVOID THIS GAME LIKE THE PLAGUE!

this game is a unfinised beta sold as a full version!
even now, while the dev openly has admitted to pull to plug and don't complete the game! He just runs off with the money, and calls his customers names like whiners, trolls and the likes.

He has banned any user that is a proper and vocal critic of this game, and removed over 200 critical topics, during a steam sale, just to keep his scam working!
don't fall for it, do NOT buy this game, and spread the word to your friend DO NOT BUY THIS EVER.

LOL, ouch, good to know thanks dude.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

10. Re: Star Lords Early Access Dec 6, 2013, 14:18 SpectralMeat

Wow those StarDrive reviews sure don't look so hot on Steam.
Here is one from a guy that has 550 hours on record:

AVOID THIS GAME LIKE THE PLAGUE!

this game is a unfinised beta sold as a full version!
even now, while the dev openly has admitted to pull to plug and don't complete the game! He just runs off with the money, and calls his customers names like whiners, trolls and the likes.

He has banned any user that is a proper and vocal critic of this game, and removed over 200 critical topics, during a steam sale, just to keep his scam working!
don't fall for it, do NOT buy this game, and spread the word to your friend DO NOT BUY THIS EVER.

9. Re: Star Lords Early Access Dec 6, 2013, 12:53 Darks

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 12:29:
I'm very tempted, after all it's just $20, but the screenshots show that the in-game view is just crammed with assloads of windows of information. That's more a MOO3 thing than MOO2.

I don't want to handhold every ship captain and squad leader, but I also don't want a glib approach to empire management.

This, this is the kind of stuff I donít care for in games anymore. Civ and games like it are great games but the overhead and micromanaging drives you nuts. I just want to jump into a game and stat a small research tree and build ships and conquer. I really donít want to handhold each and every little thing in the game.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

8. Re: Star Lords Early Access Dec 6, 2013, 12:29 Burrito of Peace

I'm very tempted, after all it's just $20, but the screenshots show that the in-game view is just crammed with assloads of windows of information. That's more a MOO3 thing than MOO2.

I don't want to handhold every ship captain and squad leader, but I also don't want a glib approach to empire management.

7. Re: Star Lords Early Access Dec 6, 2013, 12:09 SpectralMeat

Speaking of Stardrive : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xavZ6lipgrI
The publisher for Star Drive, Endless Space and this game are the same

6. Re: Star Lords Early Access Dec 6, 2013, 12:00 dj LiTh

@Darks & InBlack might want to give Stardrive a try, its realtime and although i wouldnt say its the bee's knees it does give me that Moo2 feeling more then anything else i've ever played. Pretty fun honestly  

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo