Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

49. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2013, 20:38 jdreyer

Suppa7 wrote on Dec 7, 2013, 17:58:
Axis wrote on Dec 7, 2013, 10:34:
So what are you supporting if you go with a xbone or ps4? Mediocre pc hardware with gimped controls, shitty frame locks and overpriced across the board. To each their own.

I'm not a big gamer anymore, gaming has 'left me behind' to a large extent. I was never a fan of MMO's at all (I don't like EQ, Guildwars, Wow, most mmo's because their gameplay is balls).

I play good games when they come along but they are increasingly rare. Dark souls series was alright, Magicka was good, Saints row 3/4 were passable.

Most of the games released today just don't have the deep gameplay from yesteryear. IMHO game companies have stopped advancing the gameplay front and are doing shallow marketing driven games.

I really haven't been enthusiastic about a console generation since PS2/Xbox/Gamecube. The xbox 360/PS3 was mostly a shitty generation if anyone as a longtime gamer is honest.

We've entered an era in gaming where dev costs and team sizes create overwhelming amounts of sameness in games. Games are too big, too costly, and too watered down. It's going to take decades at least before more gameplay based games re-emerge unfortunately.

Development costs and lowest common denominator driven games have pretty much driven me from most gaming. I will pick up only a few titles per generation.

Have you tried the Indie route? B/c they don't have the money to spend on the graphics, gameplay becomes king. Currently playing Don't Starve and Rogue Legacy, both fun and game-play focused.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2013, 19:54 Jensen

Suppa7 wrote on Dec 7, 2013, 18:36:
When I say "hardcore" zelda, I mean zelda that has more things to do, more weapons, more combo's, more moves, more interesting ways to interact with enemies, more things to you know DO. That's what makes games GREAT and FUN. This seems lost on you.

When I say zelda should be more like darksiders, I mean in terms of things the hero can do - more moves, cool heroic shit, interesting ways to defeat enemies, etc.
OK, it's just a difference in opinion. I find that many games (such as Darksiders) have way too many items, weapons, button combos, etc.
A game can still have many interesting ways to interact with an environment/enemies without having a ton of items.

My comments are not about aesthetics, they are about gameplay.
I thought otherwise when you said:
Not some airy fairy faggot running around some over simplified toonish game.

47. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2013, 18:36 Suppa7

Jensen wrote on Dec 7, 2013, 18:02:
So Nintendo should just clone other games? What would be the point of Nintendo's existence?

You're too stupid to even converse with. Wind waker was a bad zelda game. The combat was slightly better then in most zelda's but that isn't saying much. The ocean travelling fucked up the pacing of the game and the overwhelming lack of dungeons sucked.

Windwaker, overall is a shitty zelda. If I were to rank 3D Zelda's it would be

OoT > WW > TwP > MM > SS.

The fact that OOT hasn't been surpassed is telling. Nintendo just sucks at making games. It's not Nintendo 'cloning' games, it's about quality of gameplay within the game. The battle system in zelda just isn't fun. I play 90% of action games for good satisfying combat, the story/world is always last on my list. I could give less of a rats ass about story because it isn't gameplay.

To be honest with you, if Starfox assault wasn't released for the gamecube and wasn't made during the gamecube era, but was instead a Wii U game using the Saints row engine, IT WOULD BE A GOOD GAME. You can't fucking deny it, if you played assault because Saints row is just a way better starfox assault from a gameplay standpoint if you look at the underlying mathematical similarity of the gameplay mechanics.

A few tweaks to saints row and you'd have a good starfox assault game. I'd really love a true sequel to starfox 64 but the Japanese weirdo's at Nintendo don't understand gaming anymore. They are like old men who don't grasp what gameplay is all about.

This is reflected in the decreasing quality of their games.

When I say "hardcore" zelda, I mean zelda that has more things to do, more weapons, more combo's, more moves, more interesting ways to interact with enemies, more things to you know DO. That's what makes games GREAT and FUN. This seems lost on you.

If you take any zelda game you can't find hardly any innovation at all because the teams at nintendo are just awful at learning from other games and other developers that 'do it better'.

When I say zelda should be more like darksiders, I mean in terms of things the hero can do - more moves, cool heroic shit, interesting ways to defeat enemies, etc.

My comments are not about aesthetics, they are about gameplay.

This comment was edited on Dec 7, 2013, 18:58.

46. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2013, 18:02 Jensen

Suppa7 wrote on Dec 7, 2013, 07:08:
Darksiders 1 was basically the path Zelda should have been going down, Link should be a heroic badass fighting monsters in dungeons. Not some airy fairy faggot running around some over simplified toonish game.

Starfox assault could definitely work in saints row engine, since all you'd have to do is redo the assets. All the basic gameplay mechanics are there.

All their franchises are suffering from quality problems or being long in the tooth.

So Nintendo should just clone other games? What would be the point of Nintendo's existence?

I don't want "hardcore" Link. Do you want him to be more like the protagonist in just about every other game out there? I liked Wind Waker, and it looks like most of its weaknesses were addressed with the Wii U version. I played some of Darksiders and I felt like I was fighting the controls more than the monsters, but I tend to like simplified control schemes.

Yes, Metroid and Zelda are getting somewhat repetitive. I only made it halfway through Twilight Princess. I though the first Metroid Prime was the best.

I've heard very positive things about the new 3DS Zelda.

45. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2013, 17:58 Suppa7

Axis wrote on Dec 7, 2013, 10:34:
So what are you supporting if you go with a xbone or ps4? Mediocre pc hardware with gimped controls, shitty frame locks and overpriced across the board. To each their own.

I'm not a big gamer anymore, gaming has 'left me behind' to a large extent. I was never a fan of MMO's at all (I don't like EQ, Guildwars, Wow, most mmo's because their gameplay is balls).

I play good games when they come along but they are increasingly rare. Dark souls series was alright, Magicka was good, Saints row 3/4 were passable.

Most of the games released today just don't have the deep gameplay from yesteryear. IMHO game companies have stopped advancing the gameplay front and are doing shallow marketing driven games.

I really haven't been enthusiastic about a console generation since PS2/Xbox/Gamecube. The xbox 360/PS3 was mostly a shitty generation if anyone as a longtime gamer is honest.

We've entered an era in gaming where dev costs and team sizes create overwhelming amounts of sameness in games. Games are too big, too costly, and too watered down. It's going to take decades at least before more gameplay based games re-emerge unfortunately.

Development costs and lowest common denominator driven games have pretty much driven me from most gaming. I will pick up only a few titles per generation.

44. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2013, 17:28 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Dec 7, 2013, 03:23:
nin wrote on Dec 7, 2013, 02:49:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 7, 2013, 02:43:
I guess motivation to play games is the mother of learning.

Got me into PCs...Wing Commander sure as hell wasn't going to run straight out of the box.

Hell, WC3 wouldn't run even AFTER I tweaked it all to hell. I had to spend $1500 on new hardware before I could run it. Still, that startup sequence was too cool.

Wing Commander 3 was the very first game I specifically bought a new graphics card for. A Matrox G2000 or something, I believe.

43. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2013, 10:34 Axis

While you have a point Suppa, it's certainly not in disbelief of my point which is not related to your reply at all.

I never had a deep love of nintendo games, never owned a nintendo hardware or game until the Wii. I grew up on the atari2600 and moved onto ti-99, then c64, amiga, 386 etc, nintendo holds no nostalgia factor for me.

However I appreciate simple family games as I have a family. And nintendo, whether people like it or not, has the bulk of family games - regardless of sticking to whatever formula people expect. They have the majority of family games And that's the reason I support them, has nothing to do with their track record or my own idea of what direction they should go.

I also appreciate and thrive on hardcore games, and the PC is the only platform for being a hardcore gamer.

This comment was edited on Dec 7, 2013, 11:56.

Yours truly,

Axis

42. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2013, 07:08 Suppa7

Axis wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 18:28:
We're a dying breed Stanly... The guys who can both enjoy simple family games yet absolutely obliterate 'the fad gamer' in some PC quakelive. Or... get obliterated by current strong clanners without any rage whatsoever, just appreciation.

I don't believe this at all, Nintendo had plenty of chances to take back the hardcore. Nintendo has demonstrated since the N64 it no longer understands gaming at all. Where is a true Starfox 64 sequel? (Not adventures, not the abortion that was assault). Metroid other M was a giant disaster, and Metroid prime had been slowly deflating in value. The third metroid prime was all over the map quality wise and both MP1 and MP2 had parts where it dragged. Zelda is extremely long in the tooth over-rated and basically appeals to young kids and families and is why it sells, but in terms of gameplay the game design is basically dead.

Zelda never advanced from ocarina of time. The combat never got deeper, they stuck with 'kid gloves' rehashing of zelda every game. Other games surpassed Zelda very quickly.

Darksiders 1 was basically the path Zelda should have been going down, Link should be a heroic badass fighting monsters in dungeons. Not some airy fairy faggot running around some over simplified toonish game.

The direction Nintendo went with many of it's franchises basically went into bizarro world. We saw this with starfox adventures where they took dinasour planet and made it into a really shitty zelda-like game starring fox.

Nintendo is dead to me outside of galaxy. Mario galaxy is there only good franchise left. The rest have severe quality problems and issues of being rehashed with poor quality.

If Nintendo was smart they would have picked up Vigil and darksiders, they would have put that team together on an alternate universe Zelda and just let them do what they want.

Next they would have picked up Volition and had them take the Saints engine and make starfox game out of it. Either Starfox 64 true sequal, or starfox assault reboot.

Starfox assault could definitely work in saints row engine, since all you'd have to do is redo the assets. All the basic gameplay mechanics are there.

Nintendo is just boneheaded old man who doesn't understand gaming at this point. We saw this constantly with the weird hardware decisions and the bizarre gimmicks with the Wii.

The Wii U failed because they won the lottery with the Wii and Wii sports (luck) and they thought their luck meant they had a new 'casual audience' of gamers. They totally alienated the long time fans with the Wii by giving them shit games. So the hardcore (I am one) totally abandoned the Wii U.

You have to be fucking braindead to support Nintendo at this point, if you ever used to have a deep love of their games.

All their franchises are suffering from quality problems or being long in the tooth.

41. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2013, 03:23 jdreyer

nin wrote on Dec 7, 2013, 02:49:

Got me into PCs...Wing Commander sure as hell wasn't going to run straight out of the box.

Hell, WC3 wouldn't run even AFTER I tweaked it all to hell. I had to spend $1500 on new hardware before I could run it. Still, that startup sequence was too cool.

40. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2013, 02:49 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

39. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2013, 02:43 jdreyer

Julio wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 15:09:
Ozmodan wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 11:33:
A friend was over yesterday, his kids want a console for xmas and he was wondering which was better. I took him down the street to watch another friends kids play a PC version of Battlefield 4 on a 4k tv. After telling him that the consoles won't support that resolution, he changed his mind and is getting them a good gaming PC.

There's going to be some unhappy kids. Well at least they can play consoles at their friend's house. PC Gaming has its strengths, but consoles are easier and better for kids.

I dunno, my son is six. He turns on the PC, navigates to Steam, turns on the TV, switches the monitors, and loads the game he wants without a problem. I guess motivation to play games is the mother of learning. Lego LOTR looks pretty awesome running on a TV in 1080P, I will say. About the only thing he can't do is troubleshoot the sound when it won't come out of the receiver, but usually it works fine automatically.

38. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 6, 2013, 22:41 Jensen

jdreyer wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 12:36:
What the Hell Is Wrong With Nintendo?

According to Axis, nothing. Nintendo consoles and games are the perfect counterpoint to the PC.
And I agree with him.... the second part. Nintendo games are the most unlike PC games as far as consoles are concerned. If I didn't have a PC, I may be more inclined towards a system like the 360 for it's much better digital store, with games like Braid, Meatboy, FEZ and Trials HD.

And for all the complaints about gimmicks, Nintendo controllers were pretty much the first to introduce and/or popularize just about every feature of the modern controller.. d-pad, button layout, shoulder buttons, analog stick, rumble. That said, I wasn't all that impressed with the Wii controller. The pointing ability was nice, but there were almost no uses of the accelerometer that I found interesting. I found the Wii controller to be very uncomfortable to use horizontally like a standard controller.

37. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 6, 2013, 19:56 Prez

Pachter's schtick is that he's a well-paid troll held in fairly high regard in the games industry (just not by gamers). Most everyone, even those who hate trolls, will usually turn an ear to listen to what the troll says. The thing is, Pachter's not even a very good troll. He is predictable and formulaic - like when he trolled PC gamers for being a bunch of filthy pirates who hate DRM solely because they want to steal all of their games. Gee, how original. Now he is predictably trolling Nintendo fans. Yawn.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

36. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 6, 2013, 18:28 Axis

Stanly Manly wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 18:14:
I really don't understand the whole thing about a competition between the Wii U and the other "next gen" consoles. I currently have a ps3, xbox360, and Wii... not to mention a couple of 3ds's.

My first "next gen" console purchase was a Wii U, because there just isn't any compelling reason for me to buy a PS4 or XBox1 right now.

I really like the Wii U, and my kids absolutely love it. Honestly, most people will snub the Wii U for not being the same spec as other machines, but that is just an elitist thing. The games we have on it are fun as hell, and neither me or my kids care if the graphics are not super high end.

There is nothing wrong with Nintendo. What is wrong is that most gamers today want super competitive, graphically dazzling titles that they can say they are awesome in. I doubt any of the Madden 2148 or COD 18 players would ever look at Pikmin or Mario titles, even though those games are great fun.

I've owned Nintendos since the NES, and I have loved every system. It saddens me that there are not enough gamers that genuinely appreciate the types of fun quirky games that make Nintendo consoles a must buy in my household.

We're a dying breed Stanly... The guys who can both enjoy simple family games yet absolutely obliterate 'the fad gamer' in some PC quakelive. Or... get obliterated by current strong clanners without any rage whatsoever, just appreciation.

Yours truly,

Axis

35. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 6, 2013, 18:14 Stanly Manly

I really don't understand the whole thing about a competition between the Wii U and the other "next gen" consoles. I currently have a ps3, xbox360, and Wii... not to mention a couple of 3ds's.

My first "next gen" console purchase was a Wii U, because there just isn't any compelling reason for me to buy a PS4 or XBox1 right now.

I really like the Wii U, and my kids absolutely love it. Honestly, most people will snub the Wii U for not being the same spec as other machines, but that is just an elitist thing. The games we have on it are fun as hell, and neither me or my kids care if the graphics are not super high end.

There is nothing wrong with Nintendo. What is wrong is that most gamers today want super competitive, graphically dazzling titles that they can say they are awesome in. I doubt any of the Madden 2148 or COD 18 players would ever look at Pikmin or Mario titles, even though those games are great fun.

I've owned Nintendos since the NES, and I have loved every system. It saddens me that there are not enough gamers that genuinely appreciate the types of fun quirky games that make Nintendo consoles a must buy in my household.

34. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 6, 2013, 17:43 harlock

its ok, nobody cares anyway  

33. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 6, 2013, 17:12 Beamer

harlock wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 17:08:
Beamer wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 16:14:
Did you stop reading before you commented? What kind of moron says to someone "You're wrong, you idiot" right after they say "I'm definitely wrong about what I said."

because thats not what you said..

Beamer wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 12:52:
[I'm definitely wrong about some of those in-store shots.

you are still clinging to your conspiracy theories about "some" of those shots, but not all of them... thinking nobody would notice

and that is why YOU are the moron, sir!

So, then what is the explanation for why the store is already open, with people shopping peacefully, then comes the sudden rush? It really doesn't seem apparent why it happened, other than those people being insane. We're not seeing something, and it's leaving a hole in the explanation. As I said, my first thought was clearly wrong, but why did it happen?

Who said anything about a conspiracy? Do you think I'm claiming Obama or Global Warming Scientists or Reptilians did this?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

32. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 6, 2013, 17:08 harlock

Did you stop reading before you commented? What kind of moron says to someone "You're wrong, you idiot" right after they say "I'm definitely wrong about what I said."

because thats not what you said..

[I'm definitely wrong about some of those in-store shots.

you are still clinging to your conspiracy theories about "some" of those shots, but not all of them... thinking nobody would notice

and that is why YOU are the moron, sir!

31. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 6, 2013, 16:18 SpectralMeat

Also, what is the explanation for that .gif? Why are they all running into a previously open store at the same time?
Maybe they all got off work at the same time?

Steam: SpectralMeat

30. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 6, 2013, 16:14 Beamer

harlock wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 16:04:
There's no explanation other than flash mob, as there's no other reason they would all be outside at the same time.

actually there is another explanation to consider ... which is, that you have no idea what you are talking about ... and which i would say is quite possible

or maybe you are right, and its all just a big conspiracy!

Or, there is another explanation, that I corrected myself and you simply chose to ignore it!

Also, what is the explanation for that .gif? Why are they all running into a previously open store at the same time?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo